Happy Holidays From LAdodgerTalk

Happy Holidays From LAdodgerTalk

I have been accused of being a Frank McCourt apologist. Think what you want (because some of you manufacture your own reality), but no one buys me.    It has become a popular past time for LA Writers and Dodger fans to bash McCourt, but only some of what they write is rooted in reality.  I read every piece about the Dodgers – I just don’t believe everything I read.  If you want to believe it all, have at it.  Create your own reality.  The Dodgers are not broke.  The McCourt bashers “wanted to believe” that he would tear the team apart, that the payroll would mirror the Padres, that Zach Lee was just a grandstand play, and on and on…

Now, that they have been proven WRONG, DEAD WRONG, they take a different tact and still say they were right, even though the Dodgers raised payroll dramatically, signed Zach Lee and even named the TOPPS Organization of the Year.   I have nothing invested in McCourt, but I do know how much he has invested in the Dodgers, the Stadium and the minor league infrastructure.   The Dodgers are much better off than 7 years ago.  I’m writing this because I don’t want you to be depressed and have a miserable holiday season.    I’m not saying the Dodgers will win the Wold Series, but stranger things have happened!  This is the season for hope!

If a change of ownership were on the table and there was a better owner, then I would be on board, but things aren’t nearly as bad as you make them out to be. The Dodgers had the talent to win the NL West last year, but injuries and poor seasons by multiple players led to the demise and I still believe Torre was a big part of it.

Some point to the O’Malley’s and pine for those days.  Actually, the O’Malley family did it right for a while, but in the mid-80′s they quit investing and just let it decline, which led to the sale to Fox.

See, I don’t play the blame game or dwell on the fact that it’s the Democrats fault or the Republicans fault or McCourt’s fault.  If you can’t walk around Dodger Stadium and Camelback Ranch and see what McCourt has done, then you can’t understand what I am saying.  There are none so blind as those who will not see.  Some of you keep saying how much the Dodgers are making and that McCourt is to blame for not spending.  I am going to suggest that you are out of touch with reality.  Here are the facts:

According to Forbes Magazine, in 2009, the Dodgers had $116 million in gate receipts and spent $123 million on player expenses.  During that same time, the Yankees had $319 million in gate receipts and only spent $240 million on player expenses.  The Red Sox had $171 million in gate receipts and spent $145 million on player expenses.  The Mets spent $152 million on player expenses while taking in $164 million is gate receipts.  Of the “high-revenue teams” only the Cubs and Phillies spent more on player expenses than they took in at the gate.  The Phillies were successful, but the Cubs weren’t and were sold (now watch their player expenses go down).

In all of baseball, to put that in perspective, here is the percentage of gate receipts each of these high-revenue teams spent on player expenses:

• Yankees – 75%
  • Red Sox -  85%
  • Mets – 93%
  • Dodgers – 109%

The Phillies spent 116% on player expenses and the Cubs spent 110% on it.    While spending 109% on player expenses, McCourt also invested into Camelback Ranch and rennovations at Dodger Stadium, to the tune of tens of millions of dollars.  Not many teams have done that, and the Yankees have more debt than do the Dodgers even though the city of New York built their stadium.

Would I like the Dodgers to spend more?  Maybe, but mostly I’d also like to see them spend wiser. The contracts given to Schmidt, Pierre, Manny, Jones and other such deals have hurt them.  Ned was trying too hard.  While you may not agree with some on the contracts handed out this off-season, none of them should really hamstring the Dodgers in the future.

This is a critical year for Ned. If the Dodgers stumble, he is likely out on the street.  Ned has made a lot of moves this winter – some lauded, some damned, but the jury is obviously out.  He may or may not make another move… and I’m OK with that (although I’d love to see Adrian Beltre back in blue, but not at any cost).

It’s a critical year for Frank – what happens to him in the divorce will have a lot of bearing on the future of the Dodgers, but they are far from broke.  In 2014 the Dodgers will be able to roll out a TV contract that will bring well over a $100 million a year back to the Dodgers.  That’s part of the reason the McCourts are fighting so hard.  Frank also has plans to develop the land around Dodger Stadium, maybe even putting a football stadium there (he’s not even talking about that now).  Restuarants, Clubs, an Amusement Park and Shops will be a financial windfall.  Naming rights to Dodger Stadium  could easily net $100 million (Sprint Dodger Stadium, Pepsi Dodger Stadium, Google Dodger Stadium?).  Frank has investors lined up and opportunities galore to partner with multiple other investors.  He is trying to avoid that, but if worse comes to worse, he will take on partners rather than lose the team.  That’s why I say a change of ownership in not on the table, no matter what Plaschke, Simers, Dilbeck or Badger and Lawdog say.

2011 should be exciting.  Have a Happy Holiday!  Unless something major happens, I am out until after January 2, 2011.  Be safe.

54 Responses to “Happy Holidays From LAdodgerTalk”

Thanks Mark. Happy Holidays to all of you guys too.

Hopefully by the time you’re back, you get ur wish and Beltre is a dodger!

Interesting reading of yesterday and earlier today’s posts.

I saw a few minutes of MLB Network earlier this morning – and they were talking about the 5 best teams in baseball today. Three guys, three lists — guess what, the Dodgers were NOT on any of the lists.

We would like to think, if the big three ELK have big seasons and the starting 5 get lucky — Dodgers will win the N.L. West.

Let us remember, 12 games back, and some are forgetting the Padres almost won. Right now the Padres are still above the Dodgers.

When Manny came to the Dodgers, his presence transformed the team. Gone, he has not been replaced — and I believe that spot needs to happen again with new blood. Tony Gwynn is not that answer. Heck, he did not even really have a job. X Paul, T. Robinson, J. Hoffmann, J. Gibbons are not the answer.

Dunn or Fielder might have been.

The Dodgers have a nice possible lineup. Not a great one.

The Dodgers have a nice starting 5 pitchers. But in matchup with the Phillies, Boston, Cardinals, etc. — all can be beaten.

Get that judge and the courts to make it so that McCourt has to sell. I’ll take my chances with new ownership.

Hey, mentioned in the same sentence with Plashcke, Simers, Dilbeck and the law professor. Good company. Those guys all have access to great research teams and know what they are talking about.

How come the Los Angeles Dodgers gate receipts are so far below those of other top teams? And, I just checked Forbes, your numbers need to be updated.

Happy Holidays all. Hope Santa is good to everyone.

Where is everybody?

Just saw True Grit. I highly recommend it. Coen brothers know how to make a movie.

Good news. The Dodgers have moved up 2 positions in the early Power Rankings. They are now 15th. Right in the middle.

Merry Xmas to all my Dodgers Brothers. Mark, thanks for providing our daily playground in here. It’s at your cost and you don’t get enough credit for your money, time and effort that you put in to this site. Thanks Jared for keeping us informed on the minor league stuff and filling in for Mark when his pen runs dry. Your time and effort is very much appreciated.

As for the rest of us———–
    Most of us in here pretend to know more than we actually do, and it’s a fun way to past the time and support the team we all love. None of us truely know and have the inside scoop of what’s going on behind the walls of Chavez Ravine, but it’s sure fun playing GM for the day. As the Giants proved last year, you don’t have to have a Yankee Allstar team to win it all. L.A. deserves the best but as long as the Dodgers can run out a competitive team, the seats will sell. Hopefully, The Dodgers will win it all again before I leave this planet, but if they don’t at least I’ve been around for 5 championships. Wait till next year…….. Peace

Badger, I just got back from seeing True Grit also, great movie. My only question is how can a 14 year old girl be so damn smart?

• Ken says:

Public education prior to union involvement was much different. In 1700 must kids could read 3 languages.

US Water Sytsems Dodger Stadium for $10,000.

Yeah, having been in the CTA and the NEA for years, I know where you are coming from Ken. They did nothing for education, just helped provide more administrators. I think it’s down to 1.5 per student now. Ridiculous.

But if I may be more specific, I think it’s more about tenure. I saw so many teachers just kick back once they had tenure.

But the reason that girl was so smart is because she was surrounded by morons. Rooster and the bad guys didn’t exactly set the bar very high.

Great movie though.

• Bill Russell says:

Yes Badger you are correct by saying that the guys didn’t set the bar very high. Rooster only had trail smarts because there were no streets.

• Bill Russell says:

Did not know that about the early education prior to union involvement. That explains why she was a wiz.

Billy, she must be a Dodger fan. Because we know everything.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, safe travel, enjoy your folks, company and good treats.

Our first grandchild came yesterday with our daughter and son-in-law from Virginia — little Jack is 10 months old now. So my wife and are are excited to share his first Christmas together.

Mark, Genie’s illness has her being able to walk with only a walker now, or a rollator (wheeled walker). But she has not slowed down at all. Just takes longer to get things done. Kind of like Jim Thome going from first to third.

I missed this: Clayton’s wedding pictures, enjoy:

Jed: “Clayton just got married to some girl from Texas A & M.”

Frankie Dimes: “This isn’t good.”

Jed: “Why”

Frankie Dimes: “She’s an Aggie.”

Jed: “So?”

Frankie Dimes: “I was married to one like her. Nag nag nag.”

9. Bluenose Dodger says:

Merry Christmas guys. Looking forward to 2011 and “Dodger Baseball” with a great deal of anticipation. I will be wearing the same blue colored glasses I have worn since 1952. They have served me well over the years and I trust they will serve me well in 2011.

We are at some crossroads in the next two years (2011-12) and things will happen. Mark has eluded to a couple of them.

(1)Ned definitely will be in the crosshairs if we don’t show some significant progress.

(2)Ownership could continue be an issue but I don’t think it will change with the TV deal coming up in three years.

(3)Our minor league system will be upgraded to top 5 or so as our young pitchers especially, begin to make their mark.

(4)Our payroll will continue to improve as we rid ourselves of much of our deferred money within two years.

(5)The decision on contract extentions for our core players will have to be made.

(6)Our Dodger brand will change with the significant changes made in the coaching staff.

We have no where to go but up, regardless of where our power rankings may be. The game isn’t played on paper. I did say I was wearing my blue colored glasses.

1. he already is in my book

2. yep. Frankie is holding on by his fingernails. O’Malley said it best….. McCourt should just sell.

3. maybe. maybe not

4. maybe. maybe not

5. absolutely

6. the Dodger “brand” should be separate from any low paid coaching staff. The brand should be made by a winning tradition. The brand has been tainted – and it has been done so by a impecunious sanguisuge barnacle that has lived off the money of hard working Dodger fans.

And that is what the world looks like without blue glasses.

I will however be hoping for a bull ELK. Out of the gate at 20-5 and send a message to the rest of the league.

Ruh roh….. according to ESPN, the Dodgers rotation is tied for 10th in all of baseball.

Guess those guys at ESPN haven’t read LADodgerTalk. Somebody should clue them in.

• agreed…..here is what he wrote about Kershaw today:

Earlier in the week, I had the Dodgers in my baker’s 10 (11, actually); I agree with you that they could be pretty good, especially if Clayton Kershaw continues to progress and climbs into the highest tier of starters. And that could happen this year, in the same way that it has for Felix Hernandez.

Kershaw turns 23 in March, and he seemed to improve his command during the course of last season.
      April/May numbers: 37 walks, 72 strikeouts in 64 innings.

June-September numbers: 44 walks, 140 strikeouts in 140.1 innings.

Kershaw shows up high on a lot of early lists, but not higher than Lincecum, Halladay, Wainwright, Jimenez…..there are a lot of great pitching staffs around the league. I would think, due to our pitching friendly park, ours would be a top 10 staff. But, looking around the league, obviously Philly and S.F. are considered better. St. Louis always has good pitching and the Brewers got better.

We have good starting pitching. Great? Remains to be seen.

12. Bluenose Dodger says:

Not too far apart Badger. There must still be a bit of a blue tint in your glasses.

The Dodger brand became tainted after the 1988 season. We spent the next two decades primarily spending a billion dollars on free agents, most past their primes. IMO, the farm system was left to deteriorate and poor decisions were made in trading off good young players for ageing veterans. Most growth was tried from the outside, an outside growth that was like warts.

We have turned the corner, almost, with our present core players. We have to build around them and keep some more coming along in the next 2/3 years. I like the ELK approach.

Wasn’t it in 1987 that Al Campanis made his ill fated remarks and vacated the GM office?

His teams went to the WS five times in eleven years with him as GM , winning twice (1974, ’77,’78, ’81, ’88) He was not there in 1988 but that was still his team. Is it just a coincidence that we have not attained that kind of success without Campanis?

Excellent points all Bluenose. The Dodgers have not been the same since the O’Malley family sold out.

It’s going to be a new year soon, and I will be watching the leadership very closely. I am a little more jaded than most, as I got screwed up volunteering for the Marine Corps at age 18 to keep the communist menace from the shores of California. I actually bought that line of crap. When the truth hit me, it crushed me. Ever since then, I look at things differently, and am far more critical and less likely to be snowballed by the b.s. that flows from the top. That is why I didn’t buy our leadership’s explanation for so many things over the last decade. So many lies.

Having said all of that, you all know how I feel about McCourt. I think he is just wrong for the Dodgers. However, if he does survive this divorce, I will reserve judgment into the new year. Maybe, just MAYBE, what is happening to him has humbled him enough that he will be filled with a sense of gratitude and start doing things differently. I won’t hold my breath, as his track record is clear. But, everyone deserves a second chance. Don’t screw it up Frankie. I am watching closely, and my b.s. meter is finely tuned. I know where to look to get the truth.

Hope you guys are having a mellow Christmas. I also hope we all can afford to make the credit card payments come January!

14. Mark Timmons says:

I learned a long time ago that if I don’t have the cash for it, I don’t buy it. I have no credit card payments and no car payments and haven’t for years. I gain thousands of dollars a year in interest I would be charged.

Follow this guys’ suggestions and you will be much wealthier:

Bluenose, I agree with your take. But I would add, the problem I see with building from within like KLBK & even E, is that they came within a year or two of each other. In other words, too many of them in one zone.

Before Manny came – they were looking for leadership on the field. Manny gave them that extra and took pressure off of them and they developed then.

With Manny’s fall, and now gone — just bringing up more young guys to fill in is not enough.

Lesson I learned here — it takes a balance of older, middle, younger to make the team jell. But it also takes a Gibson or Manny type of player to pull it together.

Right now, the Dodgers lack that guy.

Well, flip you a fish. You guys at the top have plenty of cash on hand to make cash purchases. Most Americans aren’t living like that these days.

I will admit, I have seen Ramsey’s preaching and he has some good ideas. Unfortunately, many Americans, if they are to have a Christmas, have to use credit to make it happnen. Even your favorite homeboy Frankie Dimes lives on credit.

13.6 million haven’t yet paid off last year’s Christmas purchases:

We took it easy this year. Only spent about 4 grand on taking our sons to Hawaii. Ouch.

“But it also takes a Gibson or Manny type of player to pull it together.”

Could not have said it better Roger. Manny was THE difference in our lineup. Of course, Pierre really stepped up in Manny’s absence the second year, (and we are still paying him for it… thanks Juan!) but wasn’t that first run something fun to watch.

Who does it this year?

HEY RAY!!!!!

check this out:

They made it!

Nice call. You da man!

• Mark Timmons says:

The Dodgers have 5 on the Top 100 List:

Gordon
      Robinson
      Sands
      Lee
      Jansen

Personally, I think it’s not to have De La Rosa in that mix. He has to be mentioned in the same breath as the other 5.

What’s interesting is that there are a number of players who will step up or step out this year. Some of these guys won’t be prospects after next season… some will almost be ready for the show:

Withrow
      Martin
      Miller
      Evaoldi
      Russell
      Webster
      Baez

• thank you Badger…..for me, I would put more weight into Sickels, Keith Law, Baseball America and Baseball Prospectus, but it is nice that these guys are getting the recognition they deserve.
      I think Lee will vault up that list in 2011…..

Do you really find that much difference between all of them? Seems to me they all read the same press clippings, and read each other, so the lists are nearly identical.

Hope you are right about Lee. To tell you the truth, A ball numbers don’t mean a whole lot to me. I usually reserve judgement to see how they all do at AA. Lee will probably do well in the few innings he gets at A. We all expect him to that’s for sure. It will be a few years before we know how good he really is.

19. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

16 years ago I had nothing but the shirt on my back. I haven’t always had money, but I have always lived within my means. I don’t approve of McCourt’s lifestyle, but I think there are a lot of people like him. I have the money to pay cash because I never coveted what others have. Good for them, is what I felt, but mine is paid for. I have the following vehicles: 2007 Town & Country, 2003 F-150 Pickup and 1991 Miata – all have over 100,000 miles and are paid for.

Who will step up and be a leader?

Uribe, Garland, Barajas, and maybe Kemp. Time will tell…

You do know that I am just bustin’ your cajones because you were in favor of tax cuts for the rich with no means of paying for them. Doesn’t that give me license to tease you until that stupid move is actually rescinded? In my eyes it does.

I at one time had a fairly healthy savings from years of hard work. I ran contract sales company in Northern California. I found out years after I sold it, several of my 1099 guys never paid taxes. They came after me. I settled with the IRS. That’s why I had to work until I was 56. We pay our credit card bill every month. Zero balance. Which is what I had on a surfboard.

20. Bluenose Dodger says:

Roger, that is one of our problems with our core players. They did all graduate at about the same time and reach free agency about the same time. But, deal with – we paid millions to schmidt, Jones, Manny, etc. – pay our own.I think our system is now starting to get to a spread out kind of progression. I hope so.

Regardless, I am fully convinced that the core has to be ours and fill in the spots as no team fills all its own spots. For instance we are not strong with catching or 3B prospects.

We especially have to have 3/4 of our own pitchers develop big league capabilities.

i wouldn’t say the 1988 team was al campanis’ team.

fred claire brought in jay howell, jessie orosco, kirk gibson, mike davis, alfredo griffin, traded for john tudor, etc.

either way, happy holidays gentlemen! see you all at staples center today!

Bluenose, and this great core, we hope all matures, might have to see one or so go in a trade, because of their salary structures. That is a part of the cycle I was talking about.

5 players on the list of 103 or so players. That is probably not so bad, considering that if you divide 30 into 103, you get 3.4333 players for each team. So some teams did not reach even 3 players (but I am too tried right now to go over the list and see).

So T-Rob is a better prospect than Sands? Maybe so, since I haven’t seen either of them play.

When I see Jansen at #99 I really can’t take the list seriously. For me, that’s a joke. I’m guessing that he’s on the list because he probably still qualifies as a rookie heading into 2011.

If Baez doesn’t begin to show real progress at 3B, will the Dodgers attempt to convert him to pitching? Could it be that the conversion has not yet occurred because of resistance by Baez? Or maybe he just has a great arm, but lacks the ability to bring it productively to the mound. I’m sure the Dodger player development people have an idea where his future, if any, belongs.

24. Bluenose Dodger says:

Roger – I read that Logan says we have to produce ten in a decade to be successful. I wasn’t sure exactly how that worked out, but it certainly wasn’t a big number. Maybe Mark could get some clarification on that when he talks with Logan next time, or maybe someone already knows more about it.

• that makes sense as if you can get 10 prospects per decade to make an impact, once you get close to the playoffs or in the playoffs, you start trading some of your top prospects to win in the playoffs and/or get to the World Series. It goes in cycles….the Phillies are a perfect example of this…..once their run is over in 2-3 years, they will start the cycle over again by trading aging stars for prospects.

We need to produce more than 1 a year as it takes 2 to land a much needed player like Dotel.

I think you are right Brooklyn, take a look at some of the names at the top of the list… they too are already in the bigs. When I first looked at it, I just studied the Dodgers and gints prospects. I think maybe we should wait for the next one to come out. And hopefully the Dodgers will have a prospect in the top 30 on that one. It sure would be nice to actually see one in the top 10 too. Both Bumgarner and Posey were in that group last year.

Here is where that list came from, so, you can see everything being said so far:

• just so everyone know, you may see some of my articles linked at that site-fantasyrundown, as I write for Fake Teams and Minor League Ball. I have been writing for FT for about 2.5 years now and I just recently started writing for John Sickels over at his site Minor League Ball.

I for sure will take note.

And, expect the hard questions.

Just tried to post on the Fake Teams Upton piece and was told by SB that my email address is already taken there.

Good start. Somebody else has my email address?

Why don’t you just post that info over here? I am sure Mark would welcome it.

• wow. that’s weird Badger….not sure what to say about that. I think I can do a search on the email address if you want to email it to me. Let me know if you want to search this matter further for you and I will let you know what my email address is here.

I was looking for the big Christmas present from Frank to be announced but I guess it was Too Big for Santa to bring down the chimney. Oh well, Wait Until Next Year.

Glad to see at least one Dodger is celebrating Christmas according to the true definition of Christmas. Props to Clayton, a better man than we know.

I am waiting for the day that the players negotiate a debt limit on each team that provides that if the team debt ever exceeds 50% of the value of the team then 1% of the outstanding ownership interest will be contributed by the owner to an Employee Stock Ownership Plan or directly to the Players as stock options. This is a great motivator for employees/players and an exit strategy for unwanted owners. LBOs should no longer be allowed in MLB.

Employee Stock Ownership Plan? Don’t the players already have it good enough?

And explain to me this debt/value thing in the business of baseball. Dodgers are down from 67% to 58%. In your world, what exactly does that mean? Debt divided by value = .58. So what?

• Ken says:

The amount of debt as a percent of team value is absolutely NOT relevant when determining whether a team must limit its expenses, including payroll, for solvency purposes. The MLB Collective Bargaining Agreement formula takes into account Total Debt, less certain Debt that is deemed not to be Debt. That Redefined Debt can not be in excess of 10 times the Operating Income, (Usually also defined as EBITDA). If the Debt, that is considered to be Debt, is in excess of 10 times the Operating Income, then Bud has a contractual and fiduciary duty to the players to monitor the Team’s financial operations, which usually means having a veto power over trades, player contracts, etc. Most people think that if a quasi receivership is created in order to protect the financial security of a party to a contract then you are BROKE!!!

Well, that sure clears it up.

So, if I read that correctly, if the Dodgers are determined to be community property, Frankie Dimes has to sell resolve the debts…. right?

• Ken says:

No because if CP then Jamie owns part of the company, and a control battle will really be fun to watch, and one of them will either sell half of the Dodgers, and you can bet that Bud will not allow Frank to buy Jamie’s half or vice versa so a new 50% owner will exist, but who would want to be financialy married to Frank, so maybe 100% will be sold, or Frank and Jamie will remain as embattled owners with maximum allowable salary and benefits, and hopefully Bud will void all deals and the McCourts will finally sell the Dodgers, but if Seperate Property then the Court will detemine under the formulas developmed under teh Pereira or Van Kamp cases how much value to allocate to Jamie if any.

OK, that makes sense, but one of them has to settle with the other. Debt load considered, there is a couple hundred million that will need to be divided. The silent, or maybe not so silent, partner is where I thought this was going but like you said, who wants to tie their their wagon to these mules?

Not familiar with P vs. VK case, but does that specically challenge or contradict CP laws in California?

Also, as far as Butt Sellout is concerend….don’t the Brewers, his “family’s” franchise, and the other owners in the NL, actually benefit on the field from having the Dodgers weakened? Just the fact Butt ok’d such a leveraged deal to begin with, after these same people were turned down 3 times for a franchise ownership elsewhere, tells me Butt has a conflict of interest going on. If the Dodgers cannot raise payroll to Cubs, Phillies and Mets levels, his Brewers, have a better chance of competing for a pennant. I know that may sound naive as in theory a healthy Dodger franchise is good for all of MLB (as is the Yankee brand) but in reality, if the Dodgers were financially healthy, they would have Halladay, Lee, Dunn, Crawford or whoever else they really wanted. Can’t see how that would please the Selig family.

• Ken says:

I agree that Bud is not objective and can not prove that he is until the Brewers are moved back to the AL.

P and VK are 2 differrent cases that provide 2 different methods of allocating part of the value of a Seperate Property business to the “out” spouse. Pereira, used more often when the business grows based upon the personal efforts of the business owner, says that the owner of the business receives a “Fair” (reasonable?) return on their investment, which is added to the SP value for Frank, and the excess value is CP to be split 50/50. Van Kamp, used more often when the business grows not based upon the the efforts of the owner, like just the natural result of the economy, like a real estate holding company, allocates value to the community based only upon community labor and the balance is SP.

The Judge may have to use a hybrid method when determining the allocation of the Dodger team/property value, however we do know that he has already said that both of them were extremely intelligent and contributed significant effort to grow the business, (hint at community property) thus both were lying about not understanding the PMA.

And now you know onoe of the reasons why the legal and forensic accounting fees will be more than $10 mil.

Got it. Thanks. Excellent report.

Possible Padre news:

Hu out, this guy in: left hander: Michael Antonini

Originally drafted by the Phillies, then the Mets — now a Dodger…

His stats show in 4 seasons, he has played for 9 clubs. He is about 25. Hope he is a late developer, ready to blooooom. Or, he will be a nice piece in AAA.