DODGERS ANNOUNCE MINOR LEAGUE COACHING STAFF

DODGERS ANNOUNCE MINOR LEAGUE COACHING STAFF

Former Dodgers Matt Herges and Jody Reed return to organization

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced their 2011 Minor League coaching staff with former Dodgers Matt Herges and Jody Reed returning to the organization as coaches.

Bruce Hines returns for a second season as Field Coordinator after the Dodgers were named Topps’ Organization of the Year in his first season with the club. Charlie Hough, who served as the pitching coach at Single-A Inland Empire for the last four seasons, and Gene Clines, who was the Dodgers’ minor league hitting coordinator for the past three seasons, will join P.J. Carey as Senior Advisors, Player Development.

Minor League Pitching Coordinator Rafael Chaves and Outfield/Baserunning Coordinator Rodney McCray will return for their third and fourth seasons, respectively, in their current positions and Eric Owens will replace Clines as the organization’s hitting coordinator. Owens spent the past five seasons as a coach in the Angels’ minor league system as a roving outfield, baserunning and bunting coordinator (2009-10), Double-A Arkansas hitting coach (2008) and Single-A Cedar Rapids hitting coach (2006-07) after a nine-year Major League career.

Infield Coordinator Matt Martin and Catching Coordinator Travis Barbary will both enter their fifth seasons in their respective positions with the Dodger organization. Henry Cruz will return as Campo Las Palmas Director and Antonio Bautista will again serve as the Dodgers’ Field Coordinator at Campo Las Palmas.

Lorenzo Bundy will enter his second stint as the manager of the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate after compiling a 141-146 record as the manager of Triple-A Las Vegas from 2007-08. Bundy managed the Rookie-level Arizona League Dodgers to a 30-25 (.545) mark in 2010 and will be joined in Albuquerque by Pitching Coach Glenn Dishman, who served on Bundy’s staff with the AZL Dodgers last year in his sixth season with the organization. John Valentin will enter his fourth season with the Dodger organization and serve as Albuquerque’s hitting coach after one season in the same position with Double-A Chattanooga.

Carlos Subero will return for a third season with the Dodger organization and a second year as manager of Double-A Chattanooga after leading the team to a 65-74 mark last year. He will be joined in Chattanooga by two new coaches: Hitting Coach Franklin Stubbs will move up to Double-A after two seasons at Single-A Inland Empire and Chuck Crim will be the club’s new pitching coach after leading the Single-A Great Lakes pitching staff to a Midwest League-best 3.44 team ERA in 2010, which was his second year coaching and fourth overall season in the Dodger organization.

Rancho Cucamonga will debut as the Dodgers’ affiliate in the Single-A California League under Manager Juan Bustabad, who won Single-A Midwest League “Manager of the Year”  honors by leading Great Lakes to a Minor League-best 90-49 record last year in his third season as the Loons’ manager and 11th year as a member of the Dodger organization. Hitting Coach Michael Boughton will also make the jump from Great Lakes after two years as the Loons’ hitting coach. Boughton’s teams have qualified for the playoffs in each of his three seasons as a hitting coach with the Dodger organization (2008 with Ogden, 2009-10 with Great Lakes). Pitching Coach Hector Berrios will join the Dodger organization after 13 years of coaching in the Blue Jays’ (1998-2002) and Mets’ (2003-10) minor league systems, serving as the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League Mets pitching coach in 2010. Berrios spent part of the 1992 season in the Dodgers’ system, going 1-2 with a 4.38 ERA in 15 games for Triple-A Albuquerque, and went 31-25 with a 3.90 ERA in eight minor league seasons.

John Shoemaker will manage Single-A Great Lakes in 2011 for his 19th season as a minor league manager and his 35th season in the Dodger organization as a player, coach, manager or coordinator, after two seasons as the Dodgers’ Camelback Ranch – Glendale Coordinator of Instruction. Hitting Coach Lenny Harris will join the Loons’ coaching staff after serving the previous two seasons as the Camelback Ranch hitting coordinator and Pitching Coach Kremlin Martinez will move up from Rookie-advanced Ogden after one season working with the Raptors’ pitching staff.

Damon Berryhill will return for a third season as manager for Rookie-advanced Ogden after leading the club to its second-straight playoff berth and a franchise-record 44 wins in 2010.  Johnny Washington returns for a third season as hitting coach after the Raptors posted a Pioneer League-best .298 team batting average in 2010. Pitching Coach Bill Simas will begin his coaching career after compiling an 18-19 record and a 3.83 ERA in 308 games over six Major League seasons with the White Sox from 1995-2000. Simas spent the 2003 season in the Dodgers’ minor league system, going a combined 4-0 with a 2.31 ERA in 27 games (four starts) with Triple-A Las Vegas and the Rookie-level GCL Dodgers.

Jody Reed will replace Shoemaker as Camelback Ranch – Glendale Coordinator of Instruction and will also manage the Rookie-level AZL Dodgers after four seasons coaching in the Yankees’ minor league system. He served as the Yankees’ minor league defensive coordinator for the past two seasons after managing their Rookie-level club in the Gulf Coast League from 2007-08, where he earned league “Manager of the Year” honors by leading the team to the GCL title in 2007. The 48-year-old Reed played one season with the Dodgers in 1993 and posted a .986 fielding percentage as an infielder during his 11-year Major League career. Leo Garcia will return for a third season as the club’s hitting coach and Pitching Coach Matt Herges will begin his coaching career with the same organization that signed him as an amateur free agent in 1992. The right-hander made his big league debut with the Dodgers in 1999 and compiled a 20-13 record with a 3.38 ERA in 151 games (four starts) during his three seasons with the club. Herges pitched for eight teams during his 11 seasons in the Majors, going 43-35 with a 3.91 ERA in 567 games (four starts).

Pedro Mega returns for his fifth season as manager of the Dominican Summer League Dodgers with Esteban Lopez as the hitting coach and Alejandro Pena returning as the pitching coach. Ramon Martinez will return for a second season as a roving guest instructor for the Dominican Summer League Dodgers after compiling a 123-77 record in 11 seasons as a pitcher with Los Angeles. The 42-year-old Martinez ranks seventh on the club’s all-time wins list and is sixth on the Dodger all-time strikeout list with 1,312. Jose D. Hernandez will be the catching coach for the DSL Dodgers and Rafael Ozuna will return as an assistant coach.

After spending the previous three seasons as the pitching coach for Triple-A Albuquerque, Jim Slaton will replace the retired George Culver as the Dodgers’ pitching coach at Camelback Ranch – Glendale. Specifically, Slaton will be responsible for overseeing the pitchers in Arizona, Ogden and the Dominican Republic. Daisuke Yamashita will return for a third season with the Dodger organization as a coach at Camelback Ranch and first as the club’s Exchange Program Instructor.

The complete Dodgers’ minor league staff is listed below:

• Field Coordinator: Bruce Hines

• Roving Guest Instructor: Ramon Martinez
  • Catching Coach: Jose D. Hernandez
  • Assistant Coach: Rafael Ozuna

Camelback Ranch – Glendale:

• Camelback Ranch Pitching Coach: Jim Slaton
  • Coach/Exchange Program Instructor: Daisuke Yamashita

23 Responses to “DODGERS ANNOUNCE MINOR LEAGUE COACHING STAFF”

I hope this means more success at player development. How many frequent flyer miles will Charlie Hough get this year.

Bobby – Straight up for Broxton, but I would rather have Cody Ross.

2. Mark Timmons says:

I would trade Broxton for Quentin… in a heartbeat!

BTW, I shut-off the last thread for obvious reasons. Don’t make me do it again.

We have demonstrated what happens when politics are interjected into the mix.

Keep it Dodgers. PERIOD!

i dont remember watching quentin. is his D THAT much worse than manny? or dunn?

i mean they said his UZR or whatever it’s called is like -25 out there?!!

4. Dodger Dude says:

He’s bad. But he can rake.

Okay, so after a week of watching Ned continue to re-tool the Dodgers — he has placed them in the “we can win if everyone has a career year and there are no injuries.” Along with — the team now stands as a would be top notch major league team with a few holes.

No big bat added, no #1 or #2 type pitcher added. Thus, filling holes with names, bodies, old and young.

And most fans hungry for a solid team in the class of the Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies.

Quentin gets hurt alot. He reminds me of Jose Canseco with his build and defense. Over the last 5 seasons – he’s played in 57, 81, 130, 99 and 131 games. His career average is .251 which is pretty low for a raker and a career high of 36 homeruns in 2008. In 2009 he played in 99 games and hit 21 homeruns and in 2010 he played in 131 games and hit 26 homeruns.

I watched alot of Dodger games last year and when Manny played, I can’t remember saying “He’s killing us on defense”. I watched Adam Dunn last year several times less then Manny and I can remember saying “His defense is killing them”. Manny can still play an adequate defensive in my opinion. And I’m sure he still carries a big stick. I’ve watched Quentin play defense a few times and he’s slow and doesn’t get a good read on fly balls.

Mr Badge, Since you addressed me on the last thread here’s my response.
    I’ll just skip bye it if I don’t want to read it, butt Political subjects become boring to anyone looking for Dodger/baseball subjects. There’s got to be other sites for Political Debates. Once it gets started in here, some of ya just don’t know when to quit. It’s kind of like measuring your private parts. Everyone has to out-do the other. Just my take but it’s not my playground. Even if it’s slow in here, we can always debate Mannys defensive, McGoo’s divorce, the Angels GM or something related to baseball. Or if you don’t like some of the subjects, just skip over them like I do. Or skip over this and continue to measure your privates. Just my take. I think you wanted to know. Anyway – Peace My Brother

well said b-russ.

i apologize as well for adding my 2cents to the political commentary; no need for that nonsense on here.

now, more importantly, if this guy is worse than dunn on defense, maybe he’s not worth it. then again, maybe he’s worth it for a year until trob and/or sands is ready for LF (unless sands goes to 1b). plus we have the songco/blake smith crew in A/AA ball this year that could be ready within 2 yrs as well.

8. lawdog says:

For political discussions, what’s been going on here is pretty low key. I didn’t really see any arguments on that last thread, just exchanges of information and perspectives. And Mark himself opened a political thread not that long ago so why the sudden beef?

Anyway, if there was something of interest to discuss about our Dogs, I’m sure would all be doing so and leaving the politics to another day. Trouble is, when you get down to opening a discussion of changes in the minor league coaching staff with a “loooong” opening post like this as being more appropriate for discussion than the crisis our country is now facing, you know you’ve really hit bottom in the off season.

Face it, this topic is the epitome of snoozable stuff. :roll:

I agree ldog. I didn’t think it was a problem. Just folks in discussion. Some peoples is sensitive when all the mistakes are pointed out. And Mark brings up political jabs all the time. Must be ok when he does it.

But, if censorship is part of the play, I am down with it. Whatever the boss says.

And as far as the coaching assignments…. yeah, OK. There are coaches at every level. That’s huge.

Broxton for Quentin? Yeah why not. Send Broxton to a good team, he can close for them, we save a couple mil, and we get an oft injured right fielder who stands to make about $5 mil in arbitration but could hit 25 with 80 RBI. Better than Gibbons and Gwynn, that’s for sure.

No need to apologize Bobby. You said nothing that needs an apology.

Greinke makes $27 million over the next two years. Unless McCorpuscle intends to take on a partner or rob a bank, that ain’t happenin’. Besides, we already have 6 in the rotation.

10. dtwdodger says:

I see that nearly all say move Broxton. Admittedly, his 2nd half last year wasn’t stellar.

I’m going to stick with him. You can let me know next year if you still think I’m wrong.

Just for the record dtw, I don’t think you are wrong. I really don’t want to trade Broxton. I like him and think if we had coaches that could clear their own heads from their collective sphincters they could help him become a premier closer. It’s just that in here most of the voices think he is done, so, yeah, ok, whatever.

If Carlos Quentin could ever play a year injury free he might hit close to 40 home runs, he has that much ability. He won’t be 29 until late next summer and has never had more than 480 at bats. And he hit 36 that year. Give him 600 and see what he could do.

If the Dodgers have given up on Broxton, then send him someplace where other coaches can fix him. He deserves the opportunity.

11. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

When I was seven years old.. I played the only year of Little League I ever did…. because after that when it came to a choice between Little League and Hebrew School which were both at the same time, no matter how much i begged… Judaism won out in my household… besides… i sucked at baseball. I’m still uncoordinated. I saved myself a lot of heartache.

Even though my team was the Pirates… I was a huge Dodger fan and I insisted my number be 22 for my favorite Dodger player at the time, Franklin Stubbs…. I loved that guy. he never had the career I thought.. but I’m happy to see him moving up the ranks of the system… I hope some day he eventually gets a job on a big league staff.

Good job Frank

Stubbs has been coaching since ’97 and has already been a hitting coach at AA. Maybe this is the organization in which he does move up. They could use some good hitting instructors.

We prefer not to move Broxton, but his salary seems to be the most logical to eliminate in order to fill either the LF or 3B hole.

There is no hole in LF. We got the G squared out there…. Gibber and the Gwynn. And now with Castro in the fold, we have all we need to tear it up.

The rest of the division will now be forced to make panic moves. Just wait, I can feel them all out there right now freakin’ out.

If Broxton continues to eat twinkies in the off season rather than work on a change up or how to throw strikes that aren’t right down broadway when he needs to, then his value will continue to drop. Is it all a coaches fault for Broxtons second half failures? Well I doubt it. It could be a combo of problems. Can he hit the corners as some has mentioned in here when his velocity is down? Well the second half of last year he couldn’t throw the ball over the plate when he needed to. Should we trade Broxton while his value is some what high? Well it’s a gamble either way in my book.

Why doesn’t Broxton have a change-up by now? If I am coach, he has one in his first year.

Twinkies? And you know this how?

And there was that pitch count thing that we have been over and over and over. It was a really STUPID move on Torre’s part to use him like that. Some don’t think so, some do. They sure as hell have talked about it elsewhere in the blogosphere. Is it coincidence Broxton fell apart shortly after 90+ pitches in 5 days? I don’t think so, maybe you do.

Hopefully he wasn’t ruined. We are going to be paying him 7 extra larger this year. If he doesn’t pass physicals, it’s 7 mil down the crapper as nobody out there is dumb enough to take him if he can’t throw over 94 mph.

BTW, 94 would be good enough he threw change-ups and hit corners with his pitches.

I’m in the know about the twinkies and hostess cupcakes. I guess that’s my way of saying that I think he’s a bit lazy. It’s his future we’re talking about, if he bombs this year, he won’t make the bundle of money that he could if he worked hard at his craft.

How does he hit the corners when he can’t throw strikes? When he trys to over throw, he has a better chance of hitting the backstop. I keep asking this question and you keep saying that his velocity is OK if he hits the corners. It’s like he can become Greg Maddux all of a sudden. Anyway, I look forward to your answer. Peace – Heading out to finish hangin some Xmas lights.

Good points.

I am just saying that he used to throw near 100, actually hit it more than once, and now his velocity is way down, sometimes as low as 92-94. IF he was able to control that pitch, and IF he had a change-up that he could locate, he could maybe get away with losing that much velocity. Big if’s I know.

Let’s just hope the rest over the winter is enough to get him back. And let’s hope the rookie manager doesn’t use him like the HOF manager did.

today’s saturday. i have no plans whatsoever (except watch this boring clipper game)

but now u guys got me thinking about twinkies!! i may have to go get some, in honor of our closer!!

18. lawdog says:

Broxton’s the first reliever with the nickname “Twinkie” but I remember a left handed reliever who was known as “Tweaky Howe”

1. [...] DODGERS ANNOUNCE MINOR LEAGUE COACHING STAFF | LADodgerTalk.com … [...]