A Letter to Frank McCourt

A Letter to Frank McCourt

Dear Frank,

Ned, Frank and Myself

It’s been a while.  How have you been?  I know you’ve seen better days, and you will see them again.  This divorce sure has been difficult and while I am not here to offer marital advice, I will tell you that bitterness will get neither of you anything, except an early grave.  If you are bitter, just let it go.  See, I know how much you wanted to own the Dodgers.  I understand that Jamie really played no part in assembling and operating the franchise.  I have been telling people for quite some time about how the Dodgers are a First-Class Organization and then Topps comes out and honors the team for that.  I find it ironic that the award was bestowed upon the Dodgers in “the worst of times.”  I think the award speaks volumes about the organization that is in place, the people who are in place and the infrastructure to support it all, including the finest facility in the minor leagues and spring training, namely Camelback Ranch.  When no one expected it, the Dodgers selected and signed Zach Lee.  They said Lee was TOP 5 Talent and that the Dodgers wouldn’t take him.  When you  took him, they said he wouldn’t quit football, that you wouldn’t pay $3.8 million over the slot directed by the Commish.  They said it was a grandstand move and that you wouldn’t sign him.  They said, blah, blah, blah.  You showed them, Frank!

Then they said you wouldn’t pay much for free agents, so you went out and had Ned sign Ted Lilly, Hiroki Kuroda, Jon Garland and Vicente Padilla, who were all Top 5 Free Agent Pitchers.   You showed them again, Frank!  Then, you signed Rod Barajas for $3.25 million and Juan Uribe for $21 million.  Well, now since they couldn’t say you wouldn’t sign players anymore, they resorted to saying you over-paid.  By now, you know that you just can’t please most people.  They will always spin it their way.

I even get the Gwynn, Jr. signing.  I just hope you aren’t thinking he’ll be a starter, are you?  I know Ned says that you need a reliever or two.  I’m not so sure.  I think we now have the talent in-house to cover the bullpen job and return the pen to the TOP of the NL.

I am fine with Barajas and Ellis and Navarro fighting it out for 2 spots.  I am down with everything that you have done, but to show your commitment to LA Dodger Baseball, there are two more moves you need to make.  Here they are:

1. Trade Jon Broxton for Jacoby Ellsbury; and
  2. Sign Adrian Beltre

Shoot, I could even do without Ellsbury, but moving Broxton’s salary is an important aspect to reducing salary to take on Adrian Beltre’s contract.

Frank, Adrian is the final piece.  He will stabilize 3B for the next five years, give the Dodgers good defense, provide a power bat at a position traditionally requiring that and give the youngsters another good role model to emulate.

I like what you have done so far this off-season, but don’t act like you are done.  We need that big bat and it has to be at 3B or the outfield.  With Crawford and Werth gone, Adrian Beltre is the logical choice and here’s the rub – you can’t let Arte outdo you and get another Dodger Fan Favorite… can you?  By the way, I think you were smart to stay out of the Werth and Crawford bidding – I think both of their teams will be sorry they did those deals soon enough.

I have supported you through thick and thin, and have extolled the virtues of the Dodgers Organization which was recently validated by Topps, but this is the game-changer, the final piece.  You have to do this, Frank.  You have no other option.  Make those moves and the Dodgers will be one of the “elite teams” in the N.L.  The Dodgers will be fine with a platoon in LF and behind the plate, if they add another power bat.  If they add Adrian Beltre.

Where does the money come from?  You know better than I, but if it’s that tight, maybe Dodger Stadium should become Coca-Cola Dodger Stadium or something of that ilk.  That will get you the cash to afford Adrian.

You need to do this, Frank.  If you don’t, you could lose your biggest supporter!

74 Responses to “A Letter to Frank McCourt”

1. Jaydavis says:

That’s a f–king excellent photo mark

2. Mark Timmons says:

Ain’t “Photoshop” great?

To: Mark Simmons

Sir, are you an idiot, stupid, or just dumb. Mr. McCourt was read your letter by his very personal secretary as he was receiving a total back side rub down while being fed some grapes. And when Yo, his very personal secretary, finished the reading of your letter. He said these words to me, “This guy must be an idiot, stupid, or just dumb to think I would give Beltre all of that money. I’m broke. I cannot get any more loans. And I think that Casey will have a great season in 2011.”

Therefore Mr. Simmons, consider this the last word on the subject.

Sincerely,

Yolanda “Yo” McDaniel,
    The very personal secretary to Mr. McCourt

P.S. I am his very personal secretary and body therapist

The 3 Stooges. Left to right; Moe, Larry and Curly. Priceless

5. Bluenose Dodger says:

Mark – why would the Red Sox want Broxton? They have Papelbon for another year and Daniel Bard is better than Papelbon. I would love to have Ellsbury but need some other suggestions regarding a trade for him.

Will talk to Ned about Adrian Beltre and Coca Cola.

Frank

meanwhile, while we’re busy signing studs like gwynn, navarro, padilla, etc, the phils are debating adding zack greinke:

i bet ned is seriously considering adding zack morris

Creative, well thought out, good conclusion.

Yes, Boston now has excess OF and needs relievers, Boston will only deal Cameron for Broxton. Beltre will bust the bank so both him and Elsbury is unfortunately too much $. Therefore trade Broxton for prospects and go to war with Arte for Beltre.

Maybe Frank can buy some of Garvey’s debts at a discount, collect the $$$ and then have the money to sign Beltre!!

Prediction

Greinke
    Kershaw
    Billingsley
    Lilly
    Kuroda

• Jared Massey says:

Lee can’t be dealt until August. And I doubt the Royals would want a guy like Sands, since they already have a surplus of mashers at corner positions in their system. They’d probably be more interested in a guy like Dee Gordon.

• Bill Russell says:

I don’t know that about Zack Lee. Thanks

• ray says:

Jared is on teh money. KC wants pitching and up the middle hitters for Greinke and Gordon would be in demand as KC does not have any top prospects at SS….but they practically have every other position covered with top prospects.

• Bill Russell says:

didn’t know that……
          The English thing again.

I wonder if Tony, the Angels GM will be fired for being so far of on the Crawford offer? They have missed out on alot of talent (besides Hunter) over the past few years. Everyone that was interviewed at the meeting was saying that Crawford and Lee would exceed Werths deal and then the Angels come in at 6 yrs $108.

The Three Stooges! Classic. Very funny.

Greinke makes $13.5 mil a year. Look elsewhere.

I think Beltre, the next to last domino to fall, will end up playing for L.A.. Just like Ken said. But, nice letter Mark. Maybe it will help get you back into a press box next year. Or, did you write this just to entertain us? It is pretty funny.

The key to the Dodgers in 2011 is NOT the players they added. I say again, the key to the Dodgers success will be Furcal and the young players that are already here. You remember, the ones that coughed up a huge hairball last year. Lilly and Garland are nice additions, but certainly not big deals. Each of them are middle/back of the order pitchers, where they will be for us. If either of them win 13 games or go 200 innings I would be pleasantly surprised. Padilla? Please. It’s up to Loney, Kemp and Ethier. They rebound, the Dodgers have a shot. They don’t, it’s 3rd or 4th place again.

Blake, Uribe, whoever is catching, the left field position as it stands now, will all likely hit for their career averages. Of those, only the catching position looks good defensively.

11. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

Funny letter Mark.. Here’s the thing though. I’m glad Frank is spending money. I just want him to spend it wisely. I still don’t think the money given to Barajas was spending wisely. I have no issues with Garland or Kuroda… my only issue with Lilly and Uribe was the length of the contract. I can live with Lilly for three years. Uribe, for me, would’ve been one year with a performace based option.

I don’t mind overpaying to keep or sign someone…only if that person was worth overpaying. Crawford, Lee, Werth,Pujols, etc. Those are players you overpay.

I just don’t see why we had to overpay to sign Barajas. His past performance before his nice month with the Dodgers didn’t warrant paying what we did.

My two biggest fears about the Dodgers front office this offseason were….

1. Whether or not the had money to spend

2. What they would do with the money they had to spend.

Overall, it’s been a pretty good job. Barajas is the only one I have a major issue with

• ray says:

Miguel Olivo got 2 yrs-$7 million from the Mariners today….and just wait till we hear what Martin gets from the Yankees or Red Sox….the FA market was frothy this year….it happens.

• ray says:

one more thing….when the Washington Nationals are handing out 7 yr, $126 million contracts….you know MLB teams are flowing with cash…so McCourt had the money.

• Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

The owner of the Washington Nationals is one of the richest men in the world. He’s trying to make a splash.

With the McCourt situation the way it is… no one knowing how it’s going to turn out… they have to be fiscally cautious with the money they spend.

Just because you can overpay… or just because the salaries are trending up, doesn’t mean you have to do what everyone else is doing.

Isn’t the goal of any successful business to take more money in, then you spend?

Let all the other teams overpay. Our job is to field the most competitive team we can with the least amount of salary. I’m just saying, we should’ve done better than Barajas at 3.25 million as the Mariners could’ve done better than Olivo at 2 years, 7 million

“Our job is to field the most competitive team we can with the least amount of salary.”

So what you are saying is, we are now in the same class as the Tampa Bay Rays.

Then maybe it’s time to trade off our expensive young players?

• Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

Olivo is 3 years younger and the Mariners paid too much for him

Yes, it happens. This is what it now costs to compete.

And the well run teams can afford to ante up.

Boston, Philadelphia and Minnesota sold 100% of their tickets. The Yankees 88.9%. The Dodgers 78.5% (and some say that was creative accounting). Following are the average ticket prices. Add in television revenues for those teams that have them, and you can see why it is the top level teams keep the higher payrolls.

And, it doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure out why the Dodgers aren’t showing up at the table for the big guns. And it is going to be a while before they do.

I’m not sure Boston would do it, but I would trade Broxton for Ellsbury. Maybe even throw in another player or two (Gwynn, T-Rob, and maybe include a minor league pitcher like Lindblom or Javy Guerra). Or whatever players the Dodgers deem expendable. Of course, I’d also want to know how well Ellsbury has recovered from his rib injuries of last year. Maybe Boston would do it, depending on whether or not they think Broxton will bounce back, and Papelbon as well, who I believe had problems last year. Boston would also gain a trading chip for any other needs they have, be it Broxton or Papelbon.

I also agree, as I’ve mentioned in the past, that naming righs makes perfect sense for the cash strapped Dodgers. It’s a nice way to ad revenues prior to the establishment of Dodger TV.

I know the Dodgers have added payroll, but they’ve also knocked some off, most recently about $9.5 million with the non-tendering of Martin and Sherrill. And although they will have to start paying guys like Kershaw, Billingsley, and others more over the coming years, they will also be shedding Blake, Furcal (if he doesn’t get 600 plate appearances this year), Pierre, and others. I don’t expect that Beltre would repeat his Boston numbers, but together with his superior defense, I would be happy with .270 and 20-25 HR. Beltre would be a key piece, whose presence would go a long way towards making the Dodgers a winner, thereby fattening the Dodgers coffers. Good investment in my opinion, especially in the years leading up to Dodger TV. He would probably be worth overpaying for. Might even be worth 7 years (which would make him 38 in the final year), especially given that years 4-7 would be in the Dodger TV years, when a bad contract would be less burdensome. If he helped bring a winner to LA, he would pay for himself in the first few years of the contract.

As usual, I’m not holding my breath waiting for Beltre to sign. But as I’ve done before, I can dream.

I am not sure I follow the logic on Beltre Brooklyn. If you look at his stats he has had two very good years… his contract year in L.A. and then last year in a match-box ballpark in the middle of a very good lineup. Don’t you think if he comes back here, to a pitchers park, he would likely put up his Seattle numbers, or even his career average of .275 .328 and .791. Yes, he would be a huge improvement over Casey Blake, but so would Robert Blake.

The Orioles just signed Mark Reynolds, maybe we can get Josh Bell back. He could probably do as well as Blake and would fit the “most competitive least salary” paradigm that Ely talked about.

Adrian would be sweet but I don’t want us to get in a pissing match with Arte and overpay. I’m sure that he is loaded for bear after losing out on Crawford.
    I totally agree that Marks favorite whipping boy must walk the plank. I’m almost positive that any kind of impact bat we get will come via a trade. It’s a roll of the dice whether Brox gets it together again, here, so bundle him with what we need to…to get that final piece. Curtis Granderson is my preference.

P.S. Mark, Sorry for the Stooge thing but I just couldn’t resist. Without a doubt you have the best site for armchair Managers and you are more appreciated than you know. Thanks man.

Happy Hanukah

14. SpokaneBob says:

Dreaming is Ok Brooklyn, and I would be happy to see Beltre sign because it would improve the team, but I think we have Casey at 3rd, occationaly spelled by Uribe and thats the way it will be.

I said that Gwynn was signed to play left and bat at the top of the order to provide speed and defense. First, let me say that I am not saying this will work, but that it will be tried. I do think it might work and Mark got it and improved on the idea by suggesting that Gwynn could play center, moving Kemp to right and Ethier to left….not a bad defensive outfield. BTW If we still had JP on the roster there would be no need to sing Gwynn. I thought we should have kept him but his trade may have been an issue between Ned and Juan.

I believe that Ned will reinstitute the offense we had in 2009 when Manny was out of the line up and we had Furcal and Juan hitting 1 – 2. It gave us speed and created excitement and presure on the defense. We got Lopes to improve the running game and we had no speed. I believe they will give Tony Gwynn EVERY opportunity to make it work. Maybe they can pull it off.

So how does that happen? A team like the giants can put together a “year” and win it all. That has happened to us before. Anyone renember 1988. I think Ned has assembled a better team so far than we had at this point in 1988. Maybe we should re-sign Kirk Gibson, we could sure use him to play left field for us right now.

If not Gibson, Martin could come back and platoon in left or we could sign someone like Bill Hall to platoon with Gwynn. Point is that this is Baseball! No one ever knows what is going to happen. Even as Badger says we may just throw a bunch of has beens and hanger ons into the spring mix, you never know what you may come out with. So last year the mix wasn’t so good, maybe this year it will be different.

Barley Black Bean Salad is a cool and refreshing main dish vegetarian salad that’s inexpensive too.
    Prep Time: 20 minutes
    1 cup diced Swiss cheese
    1/2 cup plain yogurt
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    1/4 cup creamy honey Dijon salad dressing
    3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    Preparation:
    Cook barley as directed on package. While barley is cooking, combine mayonnaise, yogurt, salad dressing, and Parmesan cheese in large bowl and mix well. Add black beans, corn, tomatoes, pepper, and Swiss cheese and stir gently to mix. When barley is tender, drain well and stir into the salad. Chill at least 2 hours before serving.

Gwynn in center with Kemp in right and Ethier in left makes more sense than Gwynn in left, with Kemp and Ethier remaining in center and right, respectively. But really, I don’t want Gwynn’s anemic bat in our starting outfield. If the Dodgers want additional speed and defense in the outfield (which is something I favor), I would prefer T-Rob over Gwynn. T-Rob may be unproven, but Gwynn is already a proven mediocrity with the bat. If you have speed and play superior defense in the minor leagues, you will do the same in the big leagues. The only question is the bat, and we already know that Gwynn is a weak hitter. And T-Rob has the added advantage of hitting from both sides of the plate.

Of course, if we could get Ellsbury, that would be my preference. Ellsbury in center, Kemp in right and Ethier in left.

Pierre was definitely a better hitter than Gwynn, and certainly more proven than T-Rob. But for all his speed, Pierre never got on base often enough, and, in addition to a rag arm, he got lousy jumps. Sometimes his speed compensated for the bad jumps, but not always. T-Rob and Gwynn both have speed, and I’m guessing that they get better jumps than Pierre.

Why would the Dodgers be interested in Bill Hall? Since 2006 it’s been pretty much downhill. And I have to believe that he’s a lousy outfielder.

Actually, it’s been pretty much downhill FOLLOWING 2006. It’s amazing how one good career year can enhance a player’s value long after his usefulness has passed.

It looks like Ned is laughing at Mark. Great photo

Looks to me like Mark is saying “I got chur Dodger baseballs hangin’ right here.”

or is it “zutt u’ basciament stunad”

Or maybe it’s just an itch. They have lotion for that Mark.

Bill Hall is a perfect fit – .250 .310 .753. He can split time with the other two left fielders.

Is it Spring yet? This team looks like it is ready to sprint to the lead in the NL West.

Badger,

Regarding Beltre, I said in my post above that I would be happy with .270 and 20-25 HR. Those are his Seattle numbers.

Forget about 2009 when he was hurt. In 2006-08 he hit 25, 26, and 25 HR, and .268, .276, and .266. There are questions concerning his OBP, but overall, considering his superior defense, and the fact that the Dodgers have no obvious 3B prospects in their system (unless Pedro Baez does a complete about face), I think Beltre could be difference maker, and worth the risk. At the same time, he is no panacea, and I can fully understand the arguments against signing him. And quite frankly, w/o knowing all the alternatives available to the Dodgers, I could be missing something and might be totally off-base.

And why would we want Josh Bell? Yes, maybe the light will suddenly go on, and he’ll become a star. And he certainly fits the cheap paradigm. On the other hand, I always considered him suspect when he was in the Dodgers system, and he’s done nothing since to convince me otherwise. He hasn’t even put up Beltre Seattle numbers during his minor league career. I’m not even sure he could do as well as Blake. But you never know when a player might suddenly blossom, so I wouldn’t be against acquiring him. Maybe the Dodgers can find some of that lightning in a bottle, or maybe Murphy will move up the coast to SF. Also, since Bell is a switch hitter (I haven’t looked at his splits) maybe he could share 3B with Blake for the time being. And for now at least, I know noting about Bell’s defense at 3B.

22. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

I have been saying that the Dodgers ticket prices are one of the best deals in baseball. The average Dodger ticket is around $30 while the Red Sox average ticket is $105!

Yesterday someone said the Red Sox were the Team of the Year because they signed Crawford and got Gonzalez. The Dodgers could do stuff like that if they tripled their ticket prices and had a TV deal like the Sox.You made the point I have been hammering forever.

Are the Dodger Fans down with that? You talk crazy about McCourt and the Dodgers have some of the lowest ticket prices in baseball. Boy, you could really blast him if he raised the prices to Red Sox levels.

Ely’s Coming:

$142 mill for Crawford. $21 mil for Uribe. $3.25 mil for Barajas. I would take Brajas over Olivo and it took 2 years to lock up Olivo. It’s all too much! 1 year at $3.25 looks better than $6+ mill for a crippled catcher who declined for 3 straight years before he was hurt.

Ned just didn’t want to be in a situation where he had a gun to his head.

He might have got Barajas a little cheaper had he waited… or someone else could have offered him more. He took the deal to keep his options open.

I think it was a smart move.

• Ely's Coming, Better Hide Your Haeger says:

So what you are saying is, we are now in the same class as the Tampa Bay Rays.

Then maybe it’s time to trade off our expensive young players?

——————————————————————–

You aren’t seriously comparing Kershaw, Billingsley, Kemp, and Ethier to Barajas?

We couldn’t be a competitive team without those guys. You do have to spend money… to make money. I just think we could’ve got someone better for the amount we paid Barajas.

Mark,

Olivo gets 7 million over two years. He’s declined…it’s true.

Barajas got 3.25 million dollars for one month of decent baseball in his entire career. He hasn’t declined in production like Olivo has… because he’s never reached any decent statistical point to decline from. He’s been way below average his entire career.

I hope I’m wrong about him… but I don’t think so

I guess what I was saying was that there are some teams out there that don’t think this way. THEIR job is to field the most competitive team they can – PERIOD.

The Dodgers, as rich as they are with owning their own stadium and 3.5 mil in attendance every year, are deferring contracts into the future and signing guys like Gywnn and Gibbons because they don’t have enough money to pay for what they really need now. I simply ask – why is this happening?

I think you missed the point Mark.

The Red Sox have an intimate park, 37K, and sell that sucker out every night with ticket prices averaging over $100. Philly sells out too. So did Minnesota. And the Yankees had the highest attendance in MLB. All of them put BIS because they are exciting teams with a chance to win every night. Their fan base will pay to see them play. The Dodgers SHOULD be in that group. They could easily charge more for the field level box seats if the team was fielding exciting players. Hell, there are 56,000 seats at Dodger Stadium, they could have 4 million show up if they had the kind of team the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies have. But look at the figures. The Dodgers don’t draw like those other teams. They are becoming irrelevant.

I was half kidding when I said bring Josh Bell back Brooklyn. Of course Beltre would be an improvement, but how much of an upgrade at what cost? If we had Yankee money, hell yes, bring him in. If he puts up .265 with a .320 OBP then throw him out and put another piece in. I already checked his stats, so I don’t need to reference them above. His career numbers have him with a .328 OBP and .791 OPS. That could help, but only if Kemp, Loney and Ethier are BETTER than that. Boston is a much better offensive club than the Dodgers. Do you think Beltre would put up last year’s numbers at Dodger Stadium? Beltre is going to cost somebody $10 million and the Dodgers just cannot afford that for his numbers right now. We need to find those mid-range numbers from a guy who makes $5 million or less.

Put things in perspective – Who is having a better year McCourt or Obama? Do you want your ticket prices or your taxes raised. Do you want better players acquired by debt or more services paid for by your children’s inheritance? I am for lower ticket prices, lower player union wages and benefits or just make baseball 100% capitalism with nothing paid for by the cities or counties and let 5 teams go bankrupt.

There are limitations on both what the Dodgers and the government can do. Without a balanced and comprehensive solution all I hear is Charlie Brown’s teacher talking. Mark may not always be correct but at least he is trying to be objective while thinking about most of the variables.

The Dodgers have baked their cake for 2011. The only question is whether they have any money for frosting. That is better than what our government has done so far this year. We all complain about not knowing what the Dodger payroll budget is for 2011, yet the Feds have not even tried to pass a budget for 2011 and that was due on October 1st. We should have more transperancy at the Federal level than what we expect from the private company known as the Dodgers.

Obama by mile. Check out the Obama meter if you have any questions about it.

Transparency at the Federal level is a joke. Won’t ever happen no matter who is in office. And my taxes won’t be raised, but yours might if you are in the upper 1% of wage earners. If so, you have done extremely well the last 9 years. Time to cough it up for the greater good.

As for what the Dodgers, yep the cake is baked. We might back into a good player here and there, but we are no longer players for the big guns. We are slowly becoming a different franchise, and how different remains to be seen. Looks to me like a middle of the road team.

The Dodgers need another bat in the lineup, Hopefully in LF. The good FA options have already come and gone, so a trade is looking like the only way of making Gwynn and Gibbons pine brothers. If they don’t get the bat to put in the lineup with Ethier and Kemp, then we had better find a way to add Greinke to the staff and live off of pitching and low scoring games. The Dodgers of old. I know Badger, The Dodgers can’t afford him.

As I stated earlier, I think Tony, the Angels GM is on the heat seat for letting Crawford slip away. That was a dumb offer of 6 yrs $108. Everyone was predicting him to get more than Werth so why such a low bid? Now I’m happy to say that the Angels are up sh-t creek.

Even though I am an Angel hater, I would still love to see them or Texas beat out the Yanks for Lee. Just seeing the Yanks get shut out on the FA market this year would be worth Lee in Anaheim.

What gem will Ned find today? Andy LaRoache maybe….. Print the tickets

26. chucky says:

Help me, PLEASE

I can not even think of any free agent left fielder OR TRADE candidates for left field that would help us. The frustrates me.

please help

i agree chucky.

we made some moves. they do help improve the team. but theyr’e not sexy.

and we, here in LA, are watching other teams make sexy moves that make people excited about the 2011 season. nothing we did excites anybody about 2011 so far.

my lord, this is LA. let’s get some impact guys here. we know this market is all about stars.

beltre wont move anybody’s needle, but prince fielder would.

28. I don’t know what was the better laugh: this or Plaschke’s column?

29. Jason U says:

I am impressed with the overall knowledge here. I was linked here when looking for something else. I like the idea of getting Beltre more than getting Werth or Crawford. Simply cause of our barren 3b in farm system and it’s easier to get lf..And… now that I have seen their contracts..Holy cow Crawford has a lower career OBP than Pierre. And I know he has more pop and a better defender..But I am glad we didn’t do that move..Werth is good but not THAT good we will see how he does with a stacked lineup..Our Pen is deep enough to withstand a loss of Broxton (who I think will rebound with Torre gone)

Blake could play vs lefties and spot start in RF, LF, 3B and 1b His ops vs lefties over the last 5 seasons avg over .900

Can’t help you chucky.

It’s the market guys. Doesn’t make much sense in today’s economy, but, it is what it is. The rich just keep getting richer, and we poor boys are trying to figure out a way Blake, Gwynn and Gibbons can give us 30 home runs and 100 rbi’s from left field. We are also hoping like heck that two young guns, some Christmas Garland and two older sling shots hold the rotation together, that K.L.E. pump out All Star performances and Furcal stays on the field. Oh yeah, then there is Broxton.

Could be the ’10 Giants, could be a re-run of last year’s Dogs.

We wait.

31. chucky says:

thanks badger, oh well my gutt tells me Beltre is not happening and that we are short of 20 hr’s we need out of LF. No WAIT, Gwynn Jr. will hit 10 hr’s and Gibbons will hit 15+.

Sorry I was hitting that egg nog too hard.

Blake – LF
    Uribe – 3B
    Carroll – 2B

My expectations are low and I am ok with that. 2011 predictions – 81-81, 2 All-Stars, and the ownership issue resolved. Anything more will be frosting on the cake.

Badger

Yea and all of Frank’s good moves are either Stalled or In The Works Too. Spin it, I have seen spins much better than yours.

Well spinning ain’t my forte Ken. You need to go to Rove and O’Limbeck for that. I just tells it like I sees it. We gave W 8 years to f it up, I’ll give Obama at least 4 to try to fix it.

And I sees the Dogs about the same as your prediction. 81-81 is a reasonable goal. Well, that and new ownership.

I would keep more egg nog at the ready chucky.

35. lawdog says:

Better keep that egg nog on hand all year guys, not just for making the baseball season bearable, but also to help us forget that the right wingers are hell bent on destroying social security, medicare, unemployment insurance, welfare for dependent children and the disabled, or any taxation at all for anyone but the poor and middle class–just enough to pay for a standing army to bomb those we choose to despise and keep the rabble within our borders from rising up and taking them down.

(Talk about your “classic” spinning run-on sentence, eh?) :mrgreen:

36. lawdog says:

Unfortunately, that spinning run on sentence is not really a spinner. It’s the God’s truth. :shock:

It’s only 30% of the America people who cannot see this ldog.

Still, that’s a lot of people with their head in the sand. And, since a majority of voter eligibles just sit on their hands, 30% might be enough. Sad.

37. lawdog says:

“The Los Angeles Dodgers owned by Mr. McGoo”–a place where geezers go to earn that one last payday while they sit most summer days on the beach at Malibu and party hearty when they’re not wearing or feeling blue. :roll:

I wonder if Manny’s value comes down to 8 mil a year. 7 innings of Manny and 2 for Gwynn.

39. chucky says:

Wait a second boys (and girls I think), We must have faith.

Our rotation is great:
    Kershaw 14 wins
    Bills 12 wins
    Kuroka 12 wins
    Iilly 10 wins
    Garland 9 wins

Rotation 57 wins

Bullpen 23 wins

wow that works, oh well what free agents do we have in 2012

Prediction: not signing or trading for a BIG bat (a Manny kind of hitter) to save money now — WILL COST THE DODGERS MORE IN THE FUTURE.

Here is how. Kemp, Ethier, Loney, etc. are saying to themselves — gee, no new big bat — so they are throwing it to us to make it happen. So we will make it happen. Kemp, .310 / 35 / 118. Ethier, .315 / 32 / 121. Loney, .298 / 18 / 112. And then we will stick it to the owner in a year or two when they try to sign US. Big time. We will save this team, win next season — but it will cost them — big time.

Badger – Your glasses are much Bluerer than Mark’s, just a different Blue for a different reason. Good to finally see an intelligent Democratic President speaking from the podium today, even if for only an hour out of the last 2 years. A little compromise will go a long way an show who the real partisan idealogs are.

42. lawdog says:

True bipartisanship will save our way of life. But both parties have to come to the table in good faith. I don’t see the GOP doing that. I hope I’m wrong, but the party of “just say no!” wouldn’t even let them vote on the bill to provide medical coverage for the first responders to 9-11.

What kind of whack is that??? :mad:

• Ken says:

Pay back for the last 2 years.

You didn’t read a thing on that site did you Ken.

And I thought we were friends.

Lots has been proposed, but since it takes 60 votes, not 51, not much is getting done. The goal is clear….. stop anything and everything. Sad thing is, it works. Shame on the Repugnantcans.

43. lawdog says:

Ken–a lot of my right wing friends are saying the same thing about Obama while virtually all of my progressive friends are madder than hell at him. Interesting shift in public opinion. I wouldn’t be surprised to see 4 parties running candidates in 2012–the progressive party, the tea baggers, the Dems and the GOP. That mix probably gets a sleeper elected president.

Lawdog, you forgot the Mayor of NYC & Joe S running as a team, as Independents.

And the two scariest words in the English language:

Sarah Palin

Correction badger:

3 scariest words in the world: president sarah palin

Amen to that Bobby.

Did you see what Sorkin said about her?

LA Political Talk has taken over. I guess there’s more action right now

Bring a relevant baseball point and I am sure you will get a response Bill. Until then, not much L.A. Dodgers is currently going on.

Bill, if someone drops a POV that is debatable, should it not be challenged? Some of us knew that we were being lied to and spoke up. Turns out we were the ones who were right. That was a long time ago and we will be paying for that mistake for decades. Costly move. Dumb move. Now, those of us who don’t have unlimited money know that borrowing more than you make is irresponsible financial planning. And these yahoos in office want to borrow another $800,000,000,000 with no way to pay for it. And that is ok with some, not so ok with others.

To bring the point back to baseball, and specifically the Los Angeles Dodgers, Frankie No Nickels McCourt is borrowing more than he has the ability to pay back and it looks like he is going to owe his ex-wife half (or 25%?) of the value of the Dodgers. He is hoping to hang on to ownership, mark time until 2013 by signing marginal players and winning enough to keep BIS. I don’t like and certainly don’t approve of his financing tactics. Others do. It’s all just opinion in here, so, if you have a take, lay it on us.

It’s the off season Bill.

I will take up Badger’s reminder –

Baseball needs a salary cap. Soon. Just like the country is getting a wider spread between the rich and super rich — verses — the middle class (which is hurting).

In baseball, the rich and super rich clubs — keep taking the better and better player because they have the money and can go as high as they like. And the KC, Pirates, Baltimore teams are just AAA teams.

It would take several years for some kind of cap to work in. Why? Because some players have multi-year contracts. But say, the cap was at $95 million. And it was to kick in, in 2015. Yet, maybe it is begun in 2012 at $185 million, then in 2013 is $135 million — then the $95 begins. Some rating, because of those longer term contracts that are out there.

The agents and players will not like them, but to protect the game — it has to happen.

anyone here interested in carlos quentin and his disgusting defense?

apparently the chisox want some relievers for him

Let’s see, Carlos Quentin or Tony Gwynn Jr.

I’ll take Quentin and play Gwynn in late innings and PH Gibbons – I guess. Quentin could be had for McDodger money so, sure, why not. He is only 28 and has some pop.

Salary cap. Should have been in place years ago. Union too powerful. I say it’s a “no go”.