Yawn…

Yawn…
  • Jamie Hofffman was added to the 40-man roster.  He’s a possibility to make the team next year, but then again, so are about 20 others.

Jamie Hoffman & Larry King

• How many season tickets have the Dodgers sold?  How would I know?  I’m a stinking blogger.  You think they’d tell me before they tell Plaschke, Slimers, Jackson or Hernandez?   The fact that we haven’t heard means that they are not doing well.  That’s good!  Frank needs to spend some money on Free Agents to sell tickets.  Rejoice Dodger Fans!
  • All I want this off-season are two players:  Zach Greinke and Adrian Beltre

4. Belisario
  5. Elbert
  6. Leach
  7. Jansen

I can live with that!

19 Responses to “Yawn…”

I wouldn’t be surprised if Hoffman was placed on the 40-man to keep him in play as trade bait. By himself he probably doesn’t have much value, but he might have some if packaged with others.

I can’t live with it.

T. Rob no doubt has some potential, but he’s not someone that I would put all that much reliance on at this stage. He’s made significant improvement over the last two years, but is far from what would be considered an elite prospect. He even slumped toward the end in the AFL. I think De Jesus is definitely in play to take over at 2B. But like T. Rob, he’s also unproven. Sometimes two rookies in the lineup works, sometimes not.

And by the way, I would consider flip flopping De Jesus with Barajas/Gibbons in the order. Given his past penchant for getting on base, I think that De Jesus might be better suited to hit 8th.

Glad you like Gibbons/Blake. I don’t. Guess we’ll have to disagree on that one. Both as part-time contributors off the bench works for me. Starting doesn’t.

Not so sure there’s room for Hu. But I haven’t traded Loney yet. And I guess you’re no longer expecting Dunn in a Dodger uniform.

Where did you trade Broxton? And for who?

Paul? Maybe. Or since he’s out of options, maybe he’s included in a deal.

I actually liked Leach when he was with the Dodgers. But I’m not sure they’re going to carry three lefties in the pen, although I actually thought that Leach might be more effective against righties. I also liked Cory Wade. Do you know that he’s fully recovered and ready to return?

You could be right about the 5th spot in the rotation. Or maybe the Dodgers will add someone else, or two. I’m fine with Greinke. But I’d have to see what we gave up to get him before giving my final approval (not that my approval matters).

I’m sure you’re just having fun. It will interesting to see what actually comes to pass over the next several months.

Mark, maybe Hoffman was added just because he was really the next best player they have in the minors, and, and, he is holding pictures on someone in the organization.

As to your line-up, good for a 3rd or 4th place finish in the N.L. West.

Remember the Anew Theory of no more than 2 weak spots in the line-up (not including the pitchers slot) — well you have 4. And please don’t give me that Robinson will hit .310 with 22 HRs and 99 RBIs and steal 38 bases. And De Jesus will hit .295 with 10 HRs and 88 RBIs and steal 42 bases. Not gonnnna’ happen.

Remember, the 1950 Pittsburgh Pirates: Ralph Kiner hit 54 HRs and drove in 127, only struck out 61 times, and walked 117 times, he hit .310 (all in under 154 games then). Johnny Hopp hit .318, Wally Westlake hit 23 HRs and drove in 104.

Their pitchers — Bill Werle won 12, Lefty Chambers won 13, Murry Dickson won 12. Rip Sewell was 6-1. 4 pitchers were under 4.00 ERA. And those Pirates finished 6th in the N.L.

Ned has a new problem — he is chasing the Giant ghost train. He has to beat them in 2011. With less of a pitching staff. And their ticket sales will be through the roof. Plus, the Giants have those two wonderful announcers Krukow & Kuiper. Now, how ya’ gonna’ top that act?

And I suspect that the Giants will do their utmost to stay on top. Winning the Series has got to be worth some serious dough to the Giants. Don’t think they won’t be spending some money to improve their offense.

4. timber says:

If all you want to do is acquire a certain somebody, at least spell the name right: It’s Zack Greinke. Not Zach.

“The fact that we haven’t heard means that they are not doing well. That’s good!”

I smell a catch 22. They need money to sign players, and they need to sign players to get money. Not good.

I see you have tried to balance the 8 figure players with a few 6 figure players. Balance in a lineup is a good thing.

I see a lot of outs in that lineup. Kershaw, Bills, Lilly and Greinke will all have to pitch 220 innings of 3.0 ERA for the team to win 90. I wonder if we are going with a 4 man rotation.

Loney and Broxton for Greinke. You traded two good players for one, but at least the money evens out. And we need a pitcher who can actually go 220 innings. And that requires we get Beltre back too. Oh goodie.

You still going with that Gibbons/Blake thing huh? Those guys are 72 years old. If that happens…. .265 with 18 home runs. And I got another 500, that you won’t do, that says those numbers are closer than .300 and 35.

“Remember the 1950 Giants” – no, I don’t Roger. I was two years old. But I believe you. And I believe the Dodgers will never see 54 home runs and 127 RBI’s. Not in that park. I would like to see 40 and 120 though. I was hoping to see that out of Manny, but, there was that whole human chorionic gonadotropin thing. Should have known, but, why was it a Dodger thumper that actually got suspended? Probably that karma thing again. Gonadotropin. It would be funny if it weren’t so sad.

Speaking of karma……….. do the McCourts still own the team?

6. mark says:

My bad…

I think he should change the spelling….

From up there……….. ^

Ted Lilly might end up being the Dodgers’ biggest pickup. They aren’t likely to pursue Cliff Lee, and could instead turn to Carl Pavano, Javier Vazquez, and Jake Westbrook. Jon Garland, Hiroki Kuroda, and Vicente Padilla might also become options if their prices drop as the offseason progresses.

•Colletti also wants to add a left fielder, “full time or platoon,” plus figure out his bench and catching situation. Russell Martin is a non-tender candidate, but they could look at Miguel Olivo.

•There is nothing to indicate that the Dodgers will make a run at either Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth.

I agree that Lilly is probably the biggest pitching pick-up. Hope he makes it to 200 innings of 4.0. I also agree that we won’t be in the Crawford/Werth sweepstakes. And, let’s be honest, it’s because of lack of money. Same reason we won’t have Beltre here.

Platoon in LF? Yeah why not? We can platoon there and at 1st base after we trade Loney and Broxton for Zack ack ack ack Greinke. Along with our rookie at 2b we might score as many as 486 runs next year.

Garland’s price won’t likely drop. He made $4.7M and threw 200 innings of 3.47. Padilla will be available. I think we are paying him $1M defferred, might as well give him another million and let him give us his usual 100 to 140 IP. Then we can let Ely, Montesarios, Schlicting, Haeger and the 15 non roster invitees fight it out for the other 120 innings needed from our number 5. Or, will that be our #4 spot? Those other guys mentioned? Who do we really want out of that group? Pavano? He had a nice year, but, could he repeat those numbers here? Doubt it. His NL numbers aren’t that good. Westbrook? He made $11 million and is coming off 200 IP. He’s out.

Miguel Olivo? Good CS%…. but not much of a bat bat.

Increased payroll? I’ll believe it when I see it.

The Loney & Broxton trade to KC is not going to help them. They have a great young firstbaseman and a reliever already. They have other needs.

Then THEY can package up our stuff and garage sale it in a three way.

It’s all about the Dodgers you know.

10. lawdog says:

Next year you’ll be lucky to get 5 hrs out of Casey at the Blake. He’s geezen’ hard these days. But I believe in Gibbons. I think he’ll hit 25 hrs if he plays in left field every day. Find a real third baseman, designate Blake for assignment and leave my man Loony alone. He’s not the problem.

If we just bust the bank for a real #1 starter and a 3rd baseman who can hit 30 hrs and drive in 100 runs, we’ll compete. Will McGoo make it so? Shoot! McGoo can do that! (When pigs fly in gaggles over the Bay Bridge in Frisco.)

11. lawdog says:

Back in the 50s and 60s a 4.00 ERA was very pedestrian. You had to have a sub 3.00 to be considered elite in dem good ole days.

By the way. That reliever (closer) KC has is Joakim Soria, who was released by the Dodgers in 2004. I believe he was picked up by San Diego, and then went to KC in the Rule 5. You never know.

13. lawdog says:

It’s now or never for Hoffman who’s now 26. We already released him once. He came up as a 3rd basemen but has played in the outfield most of his minor league career. Methinks he might be part of a platoon in left with Gibbons. I’d rather see him take over for Casey at the Blake at third right now.

Lawdog,

Jamie Hoffman played 1 game at 3B in 2006 at Vero Beach. He had 1 defensive chance, 1 error, and a fielding pct. of 0. He also played a game at 1B in 2007 at Inland Empire. Guess it was 1 inning and there were no ground balls to the infielders or any balls hit directly to him. He had 0 defensive chances, and therefore no fielding pct.

I seriously doubt if he makes the team out of spring training.

15. Mark Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

Mike Brito signed Soria at age 18 and he pitched a grad total of 5 innings for them in 2002. He was out of baseball in 2003 and 2004 and then went to Mexico before getting picked up by SD. Like you say, you never know.

I do not even think the Royals will sit with the Dodgers at the table or on a cell phone call — to talk about trading their top pitcher — why?

Because about 15 teams could make a better deal and help the Royals out more than some three way deal. A team that really wants to make the trade to set their position for 2011 — will offer more.

17. chucky says:

I think they are thinking Garland and Padilla for starters.

Well Garland and Padilla will round out nicely to make a championship team.

3rd place should be a cinch now.

I want to spend$135,000,000 and with a new owner.

Me too.