Vero Beach 2006-2007

Vero Beach 2006-2007

For several years, I have frequently went to Spring Training with Roger Sobin (Roger Dodger), a long-time Dodger fan (that means he’s old) from Texas.  In the mail today, I received a complementary (un-autographed) copy of a very nice “coffee-table” book called “Vero Beach Spring Training 2006-2007, by Roger M. Sobin, Photographer.  Thank You Roger!  What a wonderful gift! This is a “picture book” for your coffee-table that contains very little writing.  The pictures actually tell the story.

If you have been to Dodgertown at Vero Beach, Florida, these pictures revive the feeling you experienced when you were there.  If you have never been to Vero Beach, after you look at this book, you will swear you have been.   These photos capture the the intimacy and innocence,  as well as the legend of that Sacred Place – Dodgertown.   I love this book and you will too, whether you have been to Dodgertown or just always wanted to go.  This book will take you there.

Roger can tell you how to get your copy.

(This is your into, Roger)

24 Responses to “Vero Beach 2006-2007”

Want a cheap solution for the Dodger outfield. How about Brad Hawpe? Great arm (he could play right with Ethier moving to left), and a history of good power and productivity. There is the issue of his production coming largely in Coors, but he definitely would come cheap. Maybe there’s a righthanded bat he could be platooned with. Just food for thought.

I think we already have our Hawpe in Jay Gibbons.

How about Francoeur? Since we are obviously shopping the B list, he is out there too.

Listen Roger, I would like one of those books so, here’s what I can do…. send three copies to me, pre-paid postage – I will agree to pay more than they are worth, but I will defer payments on the purchase until something good happens, which should, could, might be sometime around 2014. And if you try to give me any crap about it anytime in the foreseeable future, I’ll just litigate the maximus out of your San Antonio gluteus medius.

Thanks man, I knew we could come to an agreement.

No way I want Gibbons anywhere near the outfield, unless the game is a blowout, or in an emergency. Hawpe is a decent defender with a cannon for an arm. There’s a difference.

Hawpe: Lifetime .279 BA, .373 OBP

Franceour: Lifetime .268 BA, .310 OBP

Hawpe strikes out a lot, but also gets on base a lot. Not so for the free swinging Franceour. But yes, they both have great arms. Who knows, maybe Franceour would do a lot better if he played strictly against lefthanded pitching. I haven’t looked at the splits. Besides, I’m sure you realize that this is just a suggestion if the Dodgers go cheap. Hawpe is better than we currently have, and Werth and Crawford seem more than a bit far-fetched at this time. As the article I also posted suggests, maybe Hawpe could be our Aubrey Huff. Maybe not.

Oh, I agree. I would much rather have Hawpe than Gibbons. But, the Dodgers signed Gibbons, and I assume they did so to have him play left field. Maybe he is just the bench guy, in which case he is only a ph as his outfield play is between not very good and terrible. You want him in there late innings? I don’t. Francouer is a very good outfielder, young (26), and needs a good place to land and start over. If you don’t count AT&T his three year splits have him at .276 against the NL West. Hawpe’s numbers are even better, he seems to hit well in Dodger Stadium (3 year .380 with a 1.235 OPS) so I would take him too, but he, like Gibbons, is a LH hitter. I assume Francouer would be cheaper, but I don’t know that.

Shows you where my memory has gone. I can’t even remember how much Gibbons signed for, and it wasn’t all that long ago. But I know it wasn’t much, and certainly only 6 figures. $650K??????????????????

Whatever it was, it was clearly what you pay (even the Dodgers?????) for a guy you expect to be coming off your bench, not someone you expect to start. So I don’t think his signing precludes someone like Hawpe. But your’re right, and it also occurred to me, that it is another lefthanded bat. And I’m too busy now with other things, but if he were signed with the idea of a platoon, I’m not sure there’s enough room on the roster for another outfielder, given a 12-man pitching staff, and only five players on the bench. And if there is, it probably means that Casey Blake is the primary starter at 3B, since there would likely not be room for him on the bench.

Oh well, maybe before I can find the time to think this one through, the Dodgers will have gotten there business done, and I’ll be able to avoid any heavy stress on my remaining neurons (AKA, morons).

I didn’t realize Francoeur was still so young. He’s been around so long, I just naturally thought he was older. So who knows, maybe there’s hope.

6. Jim says:

How do you get the book? Amazon has no listing.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Why do Americans choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

Jim, the photo book on Spring Training 2006-2007 is 53 pages at 8+ X 11+ inches in size. Full color. Some of my best photos from that time. There are a total of 121 pictures inside, plus 2 more, one on the front and one on the back. 15 photos inside the book are full page. Two of Matt Kemp first two home runs as a Dodger. There are training shots, drills, exercises, fan shots, game shots, and more.

For those interested, let me know. Rmsobin@aol.com We can have them printed.

9. It’s official…..our starting rotation now has 4 solid to excellent starting pitchers now-Kershaw, Billz, Kuroda and Lilly……love the 1-4.
    And now Colletti is working on getting a power hitter….Loney is available in a deal according to Ken Rosenthal.
    What a great offseason so far.

Oh, btw-Ned is spending some money, isn;t he?

Yeah he is. $7.5 million for Lilly, whatever for Kuroda (still not seeing any details anywhere), and $650K for Gibbons.

I like the rotation too, but I still see a lot of bullpen work from 3-5 – and we have no idea who 5 is. We better have some hard workers ready to go down there because there is only one 200 inning pitcher on that staff. Bills could do it, but he didn’t last year.

Give us some details on that Kuroda signing ray.

Ken, maybe a new way of doing things is for each state to pick a candidate and send them all to a national primary – in California, the nations most popular state.

Roger, you didn’t like my proposal huh? How about you just give us all one for Christmas this year. You still have my address?

Brooklyn, I thought maybe the Dodgers would platoon Gibbons and Blake in left, since we are going to sign Beltre to play third. Oh wait, Crawford is in left. Gibbons is our LH pinch hitter. $650K plus incentives. Is that a lot of money for a LH pinch hitter? Incentives? To a pinch hitter? I think until further notice, he is our left fielder. And, I think Blake is our third baseman.

Where are the details of the Kuroda signing? I’ll bet it’s $4 million a year for the next 3 years. And why does a guy who was a class B Free Agent cost us $12 million?

Above is the link to the Rosenthal report concerning Loney. Hopefully we will spend some money. The Dodgers were third in MLB attendance in 2010 (see link below). I would think that they would have some money to spend. But maybe not if all the money goes to paying down the debt, and Juan Pierre, and Andruw Jones, and Manny, and Nomar (but no more), and Schmidt, and did I forget anyone.

I would also think that McCourt had enough smarts to realize that with an average attendance that filled only 78.5% of the ballpark, there was still room to grow if he put a winner on the field.

Here’s another opportunity for the Dodgers to spend money. They’re even mentioned as being interested. Maybe this guy would be worth an investment, maybe not. Depends on who you read, and most importantly, on what the reality really is.

Well here it is little ray, the Dodgers traded James McDonald and Andrew Lambo for a 26 year old AA player. I guess you just can’t have enough of those.

I didn’t know Tony Jackson played in AA.

Badger,

Here’s the details you were looking for.

“Jayson Stark of ESPN reports that Kuroda will receive $8 million in salary in 2011, and a $4 million signing bonus spread over 2012-2013. Kuroda also has a complete no-trade clause, in addition to $500,000 in performance bonuses, per Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports.”

16. Mark Timmons says:

That can’t be right. Someone said that the Dodgers couldn’t defer any contracts.

;)

It doesn’t say deferred. It’s a “signing bonus” spread out over a few years. Looks like that is how he gets around the restriction.

Not as much deferred as I thought it would be. So, that’s $15.5 million next year for Lilly and Kuroda. OK. If both of them start 32 and go 200 innings we got a deal.

What is payroll up to now? I think True Blue has it at $102 million, but that includes estimates for raises and keeping Martin. How much higher can it go? And, where is McFrankenjamie getting this money?

$15.5 million for both. Not bad, considering that Kuroda made $15.4 million last year by himself.

That’s next year. The following year it’s $14 million for both, and one of them ain’t gonna be pitching.

20. lawdog says:

Or–even worse possibility–one will be pitching like shit and the other will be gone. :mrgreen: