Rants and Raves

Rants and Raves
  • Sparky Anderson died today.  I lived near Cincinnati during the reign of the Big Red Machine and attended many games as well as listening to the Reds on Radio.  Baseball has lost a

One of the Best Ever

great one.  He was a foe, but he was as fair as he was formidable.  Rest in Peace, Mr. Anderson.

• Jay Gibbons has a lot to prove and play for.  Could he be next year’s Aubrey Huff?
  • I am sure Ned is looking to trade Loney (if he can).  A platoon of Blake and Gibbons could yield 35+ HR at 1B…. and is cheap!
  • Now, the Dodgers need a 3B.  I have a suggestion that no one have ever thought about:  ADRIAN BELTRE!  Who knew?
  • Look for Rod Barajas to be signed as soon as tomorrow.
  • Zach Greinke rumors keep churning.  If the Dodger could use Broxton, Loney and two top prospects to get him, then I am all in!  Of course, the rumors are from stinkin’ bloggers and they are worse than fish hacks.  I should know…
  • By my calculations, the Dodgers have seven or eight open roster spots.

20 Responses to “Rants and Raves”

Sparky was definitely a formidable foe, and earned he plaudits he got. Rest in peace.

Exactly where do you come up with 35 HRs? Neither Gibbons nor Casey Blake has ever hit that many INDIVIDUALLY in a full season. So what makes you think that a COMBINED full season out of both of them will produce that many bombs, given that neither of them would be individually playing the full schedule? Even though the left-handed hitting Gibbons would probably get the majority of the ABs, let’s for the sake of argument sake say that they both play HALF the season. Are you suggesting that each of them could hit 17-18 HRs in half a season? Maybe 20-25, but not 35. And even 20-25 is stretching it if Blake continues to show his age. If Loney is traded, I certainly hope that we end up with more than a Blake/Gibbons platoon. As I see it, both of them are best suited to come off the bench as part-time replacements and pinch hitters. And that’s assuming that Blake is replaced at 3B, which we won’t know for a while.

Well I’m sure the vast majority of people here recognize a typo when they see one. But, oh how nice it would be to have an edit/preview button.

It just goes into the book as an E-Brooklyn.

Noobody here has a typing % of 1.000.

To the content – I agree. Blake/Gibbons at first sounds like a serious downgrade from Loney. Mark is just doing what Mark does.

In the previous thread Bobby said that we already have Reed Johnson. Actually, Reed Johnson is a free agent. And besides, he’s a right-handed hitter, and doesn’t address the need for a left-handed bat off the bench. And Johnson has minimal power compared to Gibbons.

Sparky will be missed. RIP

5. Mark Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

Gibbons hit 28 one year in less than 500 AB’s. I believe a Gibbons/Blake platoon at 1B “could” yield 35 HR. Will it? Hummmm….

Why does Loney get traded when the hitting coach ruined his swing?

Beltre will choose the Angels over the Dodgers after pretending that he wants to come to the Dodgers in order to obtain a richer contract from the Angels!

Blake and Gibbons at 1B will have have more errors than HRs. Yes, I am including the errors saved by Loney’s stimulating glove!

“Why does Loney get traded when the hitting coach ruined his swing?”

He doesn’t. Certainly not to put a Blake/Gibbons combo in for him. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me.

We just need to wait for our 1st and 3rd base prospects to be ready. Of course, we need to draft them first. Maybe we can do that with our first round pick next year.

Last year we lost 3 good players and never replaced them. So far this year, we have signed Lilly and as far as I can see that’s about it. It’s very early. We still have months to go.

To overtake the teams that are better than us, we need to replace Manny in left field, Blake at third base, Hudson at second base, figure out if Martin stays or goes, get two more starting pitchers, that can actually start 30 games and hope like hell Furcal, Loney, Kemp, Ethier and Broxton can rebound. There is a lot of work to do.

But, according to Mark, it can all get done because this divorce is just a small bump in the road.

Go get ‘em Jed!

8. lawdog says:

Dang!! What the hell is going on??? Once again I agree with Mark. I have a gut feeling about Gibbons. He’s got talent and if he stays focused he could very well be the big surprise next year. I also like the idea of Beltre at third. We sure as hell need someone with the potential to hit 35 hrs and 100 rbis at the position. Blake isn’t anywhere close and he’s quickly descending into geezerhood. If not Beltre, who? And how much would Beltre cost?

9. lawdog says:

But Badger’s spot on about second base. If we get a slugger for 3rd and play Gibbons in left, I’m a happy camper about our position players. Don’t ask me about our pitching…

10. lawdog says:

Hmmmm. Damn! No edit button. I meant to say if we address 2nd base and get a slugger to play third and put Gibbons in left, I’m a happy camper about our position players…

Mark,

Gibbons did hit 28 HRs, but it was in 2002. And yes, it was in less than 500 ABs. To be exact it was 490. And he even hit 26 is 2005 in 488 ABs. So what? 2011 will be 9 and 6 years removed from those two years, respectively. In professional sports, that’s a long time. Oh, and I don’t believe that Baltimore ranks among the tougher parks to hit it out of. It’s certainly not Dodger Stadium on a cool Los Angeles evening. Or do the Dodgers plan to play only day games at home in 2011? And I guess it’s not important that Petco Park and AT&T park are also in the NL West, and that the NL West is the home to some of the best pitching in baseball.

Casey Blake hit 28 HRs for Cleveland in 2004 in 668 ABs. But he will only turn 38 in August.

Well, being a former math teacher, I did the math. Although I don’t know exactly what percentage of pitchers are right-handed and left-handed, I based my calculations on two-thirds of the pitchers being right-handed. I then determined that the Gibbons/Blake duo would get 600 ABs. I gave 400 of those ABs to the left-handed hitting Gibbons and the remaining 200 to Blake. Using a simple proportion for each player, based on each players best HR year, I calculated that Gibbons would hit 22 and Blake 8. That’s 30. So your number isn’t too far off.

What I couldn’t calculate was how much the years have diminished both players. And even if the years haven’t taken that great a toll, just what makes you think that BOTH of them are going to approach the production of their BEST year, especially given the conditions where they’re going to play most of their games?

Mark, the 30 is dreaming, and the 35 is fantasizing. Whatever you’re smoking (or drinking), you need to stop.

12. Mark Timmons says:

But I like it! I’ll stop tomorrow…

Don’t get me wrong, I would love to have Beltre. In fact, the thought of Beltre’s and Loney’s arms on both of our corners is very appealing to me. Lots of 5-4-3, and 3-6-3 DP’s. Not too mention how valuable they would be (together with Furcal’s arm) taking cut-off throws. And I’m not even mentioning their other defensive attributes.

But 35 HR potential for Beltre? That’s a stretch. Since hitting 48 for the Dodgers in 2004, Beltre’s best was the 28 he hit for Boston last year. And I don’t know how many of those flew over the Monster. If Beltre were to come to the Dodgers and play the same kind of defense I remember, I’d be happy with .270, 25 HR, and 90-100 RBI. Anything more I think would be gravy.

14. lawdog says:

Blake will “only turn 38 in August”??? ONLY!!! He was geezing 2 years ago. What can you expect next year??? Not much, amigo!

15. chucky says:

Oh my god, Blake got 17 Hrs in 506 ab’s. Next year you will get 10-15 hrs out of Blake in 300 ab’s and maybe 10-15 hrs out of Gibbons in 300 ab’s.

WAIT, that is 30 hr’s out of 1st base and another 35 out of 3rd base (Beltre) and 25 out of Kemp and 30 out of Either. That 105 hr’s. Hmmmmmmmm

16. lawdog says:

Next year you’ll be lucky to get 5 hrs out of Casey at the Blake. He’s geezen’ hard these days. But I believe in Gibbons. I think he’ll hit 25 hrs if he plays in left field every day. Find a real third baseman, designate Blake for assignment and leave my man Loony alone. He’s not the problem.

If we just bust the bank for a real #1 starter and a 3rd baseman who can hit 30 hrs and drive in 100 runs, we’ll compete. Will McGoo make it so? Shoot! McGoo can do that! (When pigs fly in gaggles over the Bay Bridge in Frisco.) :mrgreen:

Come on guys. I want to build a solid team here. This is the Dodgers. Spend $135,000,000 and get some great players. We can do better than Blake and Gibbons at first base.

“We can do better than Blake and Gibbons at first base.”

You’re right Roger. We can do James Loney. And, that is what we will do, and hope like heck he rebounds. We will hope like heck for Kemp too. And Ethier. Furcal. Martin. Broxton.