Podsednik Declines Options

Podsednik Declines Options

Good!

Bye!

11 Responses to “Podsednik Declines Options”

very well written mark!!

He ain’t that bad. He hit .297 with a .342 OBP last year. How many of those guys did we have? He was hitting .310 until he landed here. Then like so many, he played like he had been drugged. He still has some game in him, somebody will pick him up.

Maybe Jed has bigger plans. Maybe he plans to make a move on Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth!

3. Mark Timmons says:

Juan Pierre, Jr.

We need a HR bat in LF and he wouldn’t stay if he wasn’t a starter. He’s be a nice #4, but not a starter. I don’t want Gibbons there, but I’d rather have Gibbons in LF than Pod.

Actually, Podsednik wouldn’t be a bad guy to have off the bench. But $2 million seems a bit excessive for what would essentially be a part-time player, and mostly pinch hitter. And for a 35 year old speedster with a less than stellar stolen base success rate, his foot injury at the end of the year opens some questions.

Gibbons is likely the better option at $650K plus incentives (see link below). It’s also nice to have a guy on the bench who can deliver some power. I commented during the season that I didn’t see Gibbons as a starter. However, coming off the bench I believe he can be a valuable piece. If he can hit .260 – .280 and provide some pop off bench, that works for me. And while not much defensively, he still has value as someone who can provide a decent bat during his occasional starts. And the fact that he’s happy to fill that role is invaluable. The last thing we need is a player brooding on the bench. He knows his role, and I suspect that he will be ready everyday. Probably a good guy to have in the clubhouse.

There’s a lot more to do, but so far the Dodgers have filled a couple of spots with more than just warm bodies. It’s a good start, but not enough. Guess we just sit back and see how it plays out. Signing and/or trading for bigger fish, if it occurs, is not likely to happen until late November, December or January, maybe even later.

dont forget, we already have reed johnson. he’s just as servicable as podsednick.

we need a real starter in LF, and i’d rather have t-rob out there than pods, etc.

6. Mark Timmons says:

1. T-Rob
    2. Paul
    3. Johnson
    4. Blake
    5. Podsednik

7. I agree Mark-we need a power bat in LF, 3b and 1b…..Beltre at 3b, maybe a Konerko reunion at 1B?

8. Pete guerrero says:

I agree with beltre but not konerko we already have loney who’s about 10yrs younger.i think l.a should try to get bartlett from t.b move furcal to 2b,try to resign either kuroda or padilla,get greinke without giving up lee-flash-lindblom ,sign scott downs and finaly get rajai davis for speed!

9. coloblue says:

I’m still pulling for us to get ADunn…who can play 1b til JSands is ready and then LF…and give up some major Power.

Can anyone give us an update on that October 29th season ticket deposit deadline thing.

Come on Mark, use your connections. little ray, you must know something. (still waiting on the PTBNL and Top 100 Prospect lists btw) If we knew how many of last seasons holders bailed, we would have a better idea of who it is we can and who it is we cannot expect to go after.

11. lawdog says:

As hard as it is for me to say, I agree with Mark on the Podsadicky defection. I like Gibbons’ bat better than Pody’s even if he didn’t hit for quite so high an average or OBP. He hits home runs and he drives in runs. Plus his average of .280 ain’t chopped liver. If we find a real 3rd baseman we can do just fine with Gibbons in left. He did fine before he was blackballed by the league and I think we’re lucky to have him, particularly at a price under $1 million. Since McGoo has so little scratch to invest in players, it’s good to get a guy with 30 homer 100 rbi potential for such a small investment.

But Casey must go or we’ll continue to wallow around .500.