More Roster Ideas

More Roster Ideas

Check out Bleacher Report, where writer proposes the following “could” be the Dodgers Opening Day lineup:

1. B.J. Upton—CF

2. Rafael Furcal—SS

3. Andre Ethier—LF

4. Matt Kemp—RF

5. James Loney—1B

6. Juan Uribe—2B

7. Casey Blake—3B

8. Russell Martin—C

Starting rotation: Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Ted Lilly, Brandon Webb, Vicente Padilla

Bullpen: Hisanori Takahashi, Carlos Monasterios, Travis Schlichting, Ronald Belasario, Kenley Jansen, Hong-Chih Kuo, Jonathan Broxton

Bench Players: Jay Gibbons, Xavier Paul, Jamey Carroll, Rod Barajas, Ivan DeJesus

Key additions: Upton, Uribe, Webb, Takahashi

Notable departures: Ryan Theriot, Hiroki Kuroda, George Sherrill, Ramon Troncoso, Reed Johnson

It’s an interesting read.

Thoughts?

22 Responses to “More Roster Ideas”

my thoughts? blah! upton is another talented underachiever.

uribe? decent, but doesn’t excite me.

Looks to me as if this guy (Dennis Schlossman) has too much time on his hands., or simply has to fill some space. Not worth commenting on. I don’t remember exactly what Jon Weisman said about rumors, but I thinking his bottom line was that they’re not worth the paper they’re written on. And they’re also not worth the amount of ATP I would need to exert enough energy to think about this stuff. And the little ATP that I have used leaves me unimpressed. I really can’t take this seriously.

From Dilbeck on Russell Martin:

I’m guessing it’s possible that the Dodgers bring Martin back with an incentive laden contract. And as Dibeck suggests, they could also be looking a players like Miguel Olivo and John Buck. A lot, I think, could also depend on how the rest of the roster takes shape. If they spend money elsewhere they may not be willing to offer very much to Martin. What makes it possible that Martin might return is the fact that the Dodgers don’t appear to have much in their farm system at the catching position.

The first few things that come to mind on that article are:

if Webb was well enough to pitch, and is only asking $5 million, why wouldn’t the Dbacks lock him up? I smell dog Schmidt all over that one.

Martin is too risky at $6 million. It was bad enough his numbers were sinking like my property values, he has a hip issue that seems to me would make catching everyday rather difficult.

I would take Upton in a heartbeat. He needs a change of scenary, though I don’t know that the Los Angeles Dodgers is the best place for him. He is one of those rare talents that, like Kemp, if his head ever clears his ass, he would be an All Star every year. Considering the size of both of their heads, big ifs.

If Uribe turns down $3 million and gets paid more than that – he will be overpaid by whoever picks him up. He had his career year. He could hit .248 again no problem, but without the 24 and 85. The Dodgers might be better off letting De Jesus have the job for cheap, and spend that money on another starter. Hopefully one that can start 32 and give us 200 IP of 4.0.

But, having said all that… if Martin and Webb check out, I think that that whole team is actually an improvement over what we had last year.

5. Mark Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

I don’t put much stock in rumors either, but this is just conjecture!

6. Jaydavis says:

Why spend money when you don’t have any. Just save and spend later
    1. Trayvon Robinson—CF
    2. Rafael Furcal—SS
    3. Andre Ethier—LF
    4. Matt Kemp—RF
    5. James Loney—1B
    6. Russell Mitchell—3B
    7. Ivan De Jesus—2B
    8. Russell Martin—C
    Starting rotation: Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Ted Lilly, Brandon Webb, John Ely

7. ESPN’s Jayson Stark is saying Kuroda wants to come back next year in LA…..Nice 1-4: Kershaw/Billz/Lilly/Kuroda-I’ll take it

What we HOPE happens over the winter, is flying high in all Dodger fans.

But, unless there is a major change in the philosophy of the organization – things could be about the same.

I say this because the Trade Ticker web sites and other articles point out that almost all teams are looking at: Lee, Beltre, Uribe, Soriano, Uggla, Greinke, Werth, Alex Gordon, Crawford and on and on . . .

Other than Ned saying he would be active this winter – for some pitching and a big bat – but so are almost all of the other teams in both leagues.

As Badger said, this present Dodgers team is a bit dysfunctional, and not all players nor their agents want to get involved.

What I see happening is this – other teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and even the Cubs will sign some FAs and make a few trades . . . and we Dodger fans will be crossing off names of the “big list” of player we would like to see in Dodger Blue – and start to panic. Then big Ned will announce that he has acquired the contract of player x or z or y or v . . . and we are to get excited thinking that – “hey, now we can move from 80 wins in 2010 to 98 wins in 2011 with that move.”

So, let us see just what happens.

9. Mark Timmons says:

We have to be realistic about this team and here’s the reality:

1. The 2009 Dodgers bullpen which was arguably the best in baseball became one of the worst in 2010;

2. The 2010 Dodgers threw $25 million at a Free Agent (Manny) who was a huge bust;

3. Several position players had horrible or off years (Kemp, Loney, Blake, Ethier);

4. Furcal, Manny, Martin and others had injuries which decimated the team; and

5. The leadership at the helm was grossly lacking.

Lots of bad things happened all at once. I guess you are free to think it will happen again, but it’s just as likely (maybe more so) that it WON’T HAPPEN again. There’s still a lot of talent on this team.

Mark,

I know it’s conjecture, or more appropriately idle conjecture. Which is why I don’t think it’s worth much of an investment in ATP.

I certainly wouldn’t guarantee Webb any real money. Any deal with him would have to consist of a low guarantee and incentives. No matter how good he was in the past, he would be worthless if his shoulder hasn’t fully recovered. If he can prove it is, then he gets paid, otherwise he doesn’t. I doubt if he could expect more than that from any team.

I’m not very confident that Upton could add a lot. He’s definitely not Justin. But I wouldn’t mind having him on hand, as long as he doesn’t require much to acquire. Then, maybe he surprises. I just wouldn’t count on it.

As impossible as it seems, I would love to have Crawford. I think he would be the best thing that could happen to Kemp. And having him, Kemp and Dee Gordon (probably in 2012) running around the bases is something I would like to witness. His power isn’t great, but the power that he has combined with his speed, defense, and all-around ability, is something I covet.

I would love to see Crawford in L.A. and we just might. The Los Angeles Angels are going after him.

It looks like most of us are in agreement about Webb.

Mark is right – there is still a lot of talent on this team. They were all there last year too. Maybe they all rebound and have career years. Maybe Martin returns and is better than ever. Maybe Furcal plays 150 games. Maybe Gibbons plays all year at .280 with a .507 slg. %. Maybe Padilla is signed and actually starts 30 games for the first time in 5 years. Maybe everything that went wrong last year goes right next year.

Maybe not. Every year as Dodger fans we knew something good was going to happen. Last year, the Dodgers spent $25 million on a guy that lit a fire that carried the team to the brink of the World Series. He turned out to be artificially inflated. Who knew that was going to happen? The owners announce they will divorce and it got nasty. Who could predict that?

Jaydavis’ comment actually makes a lot of sense to me. It could very well be that we just go ahead and play with what we have and wait it out. I think if ownership would just come out and say that is what must be done, it would be more believable than “payroll will increase”. With the owners in turmoil, and the sharks circling, how can we believe them? I still think that was said to get season ticket holders to send in the checks.

I agree with Roger, other teams that are more healthy will have better shots at the quality free agents. We might get some B talent, and it could help. But, so much still depends on the divorce.

12. Mark Timmons says:

You just never know. By doing what Jay Davis said the Dodgers could end up winning 95 games. There is a correlation between signing an expensive free agent and winning, and the correlation is that you frequently don’t when you spend like that.

13. Mark Timmons says:

I like Crawford, but in LA he’s a 6-8 HR guy. I know that his speed is killer, but essentially he’s a leadoff hitter, not a middle-of-the-order batter and I would not pay him what he’ll get as a leadoff hitter. Raffy gets $13 mil and that’s too high!

I agree. Everybody seems to like Crawford, but, his game is similar to Juan Pierre at the same age only with more power. I said “similar”. Don’t laugh, I actually looked it up – and we know how popular Pierre was around here. Anybody see what Pierre did this year? 96 runs and 68 stolen bases. And, we paid $4 million for him to do that for Chicago. Great move. I guess we can just say we paid Ely and Link that money. It is going to cost another $4 million this year for Ely, Link and Pierre. Sure hope Ely and Link are worth it.

Why is it that we send people packing and they go somewhere else and have good years? Many were griping about Wolf and look what he did. 215 innings and 13 wins on a bad club. How many Dodgers did that? Let me save you the time – none. Garland, Hudson – we could have used all those guys. Yeah, I know, it would have cost us fortyleven million dollars to keep them. Didn’t cost the other teams that much, but……..

Raffy will likely not earn what he is being paid. Shall we list all the Dodger players who are getting paid big dollars that won’t earn what we pay them? We can start with Manny, Andruw and Pierre. Heck, even Ethier at $9.25M might fall short. Hope not, but if he has a repeat of last year.

I am hoping the young playes on this team are looking at themselves in the mirror and taking their careers seriously enough to come out smoking. This is a huge year for a lot of Dodger players, including the prospects.

15. lawdog says:

I think we paid Manny $20 million for 2010 and he did hit .300 for us–but I agree, that’s not what we paid for and he was a huge bust.

I think we actually paid him about $7 million for 40 rbi’s. Not sure how much of his contract went with him to Chicago. He only played in 90 games last year.

wow, crawford has similar game to juan pierre.

next i’ll be told that kobe has similar game to sasha vujacic.

for one, carl crawford just won the gold glove. juan pierre wouldnt be in the top 40 in gold glove with his pathetic arm. carl crawford doesn’t lead the league in outs made every single year!!

juan pierre is a great guy, a solid player, and a guy who can get singles and steal bases. but please do not compare him to an all star and someone who would be the team leader the minute he stepped into dodger stadium.

carl crawford is like pau gasol. he’ll be a much bigger star in LA and the true appreciation for his talents will come out in LA than they did in tampa.

i really don’t think people here know just how good he is.

having said all that, i really do like pierre, and i really don’t think we’ll spend on crawford.

18. lawdog says:

Crawford still has no “pop” in his bat, no matter how you try to spin it.

I knew somebody would pope off.

But, like I said, the play is similar, and I researched it. Yeah, Crawford won a Gold Glove, and Pierre didn’t. But, if you were to look it up, which I did, you will see that when Pierre was Crawford’s age, he hit about the same average, with about the same number of runs and doubles. Pierre had 58 SB, Crawford 47. Pierre’s RF was 2.42 with a fldg. % of 1.000, 5 assists and 379 PO. Crawford RF was 2.24, his fldg. % was .994 with 7 assists and he had 306 PO.

So, as you can clearly see, their games are similar, with Crawford having more power. It wasn’t Pierre’s fault he got overpaid. Just like it won’t be Crawford’s fault he will be overpaid – which I predict he will be.

Having said all that, I too would take Crawford. He is in his prime and he has more power, though I do agree with Mark that he wouldn’t hit a lot of HR’s in L.A.. Nobody seems to.

20. lawdog says:

If you take Crawford, you have to get a 3rd baseman with “pop”.

I only take Crawford because he is the best FA outfielder out there. That it is why he will be paid big time by some team. It won’t be the Dodgers.

The pop we will get will come from Kemp, Ethier, Gibbons, Blake (yeah, I know) and maybe Uribe if he ends up here. This isn’t a Dodger team that will blow people away. This is a team that had better pitch well, and do the little things, or it could be a repeat of last year.

22. bill says:

Is Upton going to instill fear in any opponent?

Like to see the Japanese player at 2b. If not, why not Uggla and his 30+ home runs? If Uggla is too weak defensively at 2b, there’s a need for a left fielder.

What’s the story with Orlando Hudson? What happened to sour his relationship with the Dodgers?

Is the price too steep for Greinke? Does Brandon Webb have any desire to be a Dodger, or is it all about money? Are Jayson Werth and the Dodgers irreconcilable (or did Boras use up all of his chips with Colletti?) Is there anything left in Pedro Martinez’ tank?