Hopefully, Ned has duly noted the recipe of Brian Sabean for success:
- Homegrown young pitchers named Lincecum, Cain, Baumgartner and Sanchez .
- Blend in a budding superstar like Buster Posey (Johnny Bench clone?).
- Then, just stir in a bunch of JYD’s (junk yard dogs).
As Jon Weisman (this is a great read, BTW) pointed out earlier this week, Kershaw and Billingsley are already as good as Linecum and Cain, but Bumgarner and Sanchez are better than anyone else the Dodgers have. Sabean’s biggest mistake was signing a pitcher like Barry Zito to a six-figure multi-year deal. I am sure he regrets that immensely. The Dodgers should be sure to avoid dumb stuff that. Ditto on a player like Aaron Rowand – BIG MISTAKE!
The best moves that Sabean made were for JYD’s, like Huff, Sanchez, Ross, Uribe and others.
Maybe the best move is to have Lilly as our Zito (a #5 and he’s better than Zito), and then plug in youngsters in the #3 and #4 spots. RDLR may be ready for one of those spots by the end of 2011 and the Dodgers have a bunch of suspects who could step up by 2012.
No long term deals for pitchers, Ned.
Logan, keep drafting those pitchers.
RANTS & RAVES
- Any chance that Don Mattingley would consider Davey Lopes as bench coach? It would be nice for him to return home and he’s no longer tied to the Phillies.
- Look for Jon Link to challenge for a starting spot next season. While I’m at it, I see good things in Scott Elbert’s future next year, as well.
- Dee Gordon is SMOKING HOT in winter ball. He is absolutely unconscious hitting about 5 times his weight.