Come On Man!

Come On Man!

For eight long years, I listened to a few people complain over and over about our President.

Like clockwork, every day, every way, they got in the digs.  It was predictable, futile and boring.  Some people just love to be miserable, I guess.  In fact, it does no good (that I can discern) to complain because 50% of the people don’t care and the other 50% revel in your demise.   Complaining is like drinking poison and thinking someone else will die. Being bitter eats you up and bores the hell out of others.  If I don’t like our current President, it does me no good to complain.  Just get out in the next election and vote.   A couple of weeks ago, voters just did that.  You can do that too, and you can make a difference.  Until the election, complaining is counter-productive, unhealthy and downright boring.

Which brings me to the point of this post:  I don’t write much about the McCourt Divorce because it’s downright boring!   Tony Parker cheated on Eva Longoria with Barry’s wife.  I could care less.   I discuss the McCourt case in as much as it is germane or newsworthy, but the incessant sniping and predictable McCourt references fall in that same category.  You can vote with your feet and not go to Dodgers games.  I get that.  But for the foreseeable future, Frank McCourt is the owner of the Dodgers and even an adverse ruling by Judge Gordon isn’t going to change that very quickly.

You’ll make yourself sick complaining about this (to say nothing of sickening others).   I repeatedly hear that McCourt won’t spend money and maybe he’s not the Yankees, but the Dodgers are trying to improve.  Yeah, Ned has made some dope-fiend moves and you can feel free to nail him for that, but I do need to remind you that Lambo, McDonald and Santana have not “made it” as yet.  The Grand Jury has indicted Ned, but the case is still at trial and a verdict is yet to be rendered.

I remember a plethora of Dodger fans being absolutely outraged by the trades of Joel Guzman, Chuck Tiffany and a boatload of other prospects.  In the past five years, very few of these prospect trades have came back to bite the Dodgers.  But have at it!  Blast the GM.  Blast McCourt – just don’t be so predictable and boring!

DODGER NEWS:

Ken Gurnick writes about Rick Rhoden wanting to return to the Dodgers.  Here’s a quote from Rhoden:

I haven’t been around the game for a long time, but the game hasn’t changed,” said Rhoden, who had 10 seasons of double-digit victories in a 15-season Major League career. “The athletes are bigger. They’re better athletes. But maybe they don’t know how to play the game as good as we did because they get rushed. They just have to learn how to pitch, to throw over the plate and hit the spots with movement.

“I know the Dodgers want to get back to being the Dodgers. When I signed, you were a Dodger, period. You weren’t just playing baseball. It was the Dodgers way to play baseball, Branch Rickey. You watch TV and see all these guys who were Dodgers — Dusty Baker and Ron Washington managing and a lot of guys coaching. There’s something to be said for that.”

Kevin Baxter of The LA Times wrote this:

In 2009, Dodgers relievers led the National League with 37 wins and led the majors with a 3.14 earned-run average. But even though the team started last spring with nearly the same relief corps, the bullpen’s ERA jumped to 4.07.

That, and the hitting malaise after the All-Star Break were what led to the Dodgers demise in 2010.  I don’t know how anyone could say they predicted that and say it with a straight face.  The Dodgers of 2010 grossly under-performed.  Look at the stats.

Here’s a very interesting stat from Steve Dilbeck of The LA Times, which may make James Loney interesting to some teams:

Here’s what’s so encouraging about the thought of getting Loney out of Dodger Stadium and experiencing a breakout season: He hit 41 doubles last year and has been a much better hitter in his career on the road (.307 with a .854 OPS) than at home (.268 with a .711 OPS). He should interest the Rays, Jays, Nationals and Diamondbacks.

104 Responses to “Come On Man!”

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that you will look forward to the trip.

When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water.

2. Jaydavis says:

The problem is trading prospect here and there for shite. Package the prospects up and trade for one superstar. I don’t understand he’s thinking with filling holes with shite. With the money he’s spends this off season I would have rather it spent on Cliff Lee that’s it. Fill the holes with prospect and last minute deals.
    Peace

“Some people just love to be miserable, I guess”

Yeah, people just love losing their jobs and their houses in an economy brought on by stupid wreckless policies.

Mark, good for you that you make more than $250,000 a year in your business. I am sure you worked hard and are proud of that. But many thousands of people out there have also worked hard and lost everything. It is past time for all of us to be pulling on the same end of the rope. It is also time that we start paying for a decade of mistakes.

You brought it up.

As for the Dodgers, it is obvious their owner is restricted. That is why he is stretching contracts out into the future – a future that will include a cable contract in 4 years. A cable contract that would have been in place 6 years ago if a flush owner would have been allowed to purchase the Dodgers.

• Ken says:

McCourt is a Democrat

• Ken says:

$250,000 is a subjective number picked by a Moron. Below is what I have been lobbying for over the last 2 months.

Extend the Bush Tax Cuts with wisdom

1. Extend all of the Bush Tax Cuts
      2. Create a new tax bracket for the “Wealthy”. Establish the floor to this new tax bracket as a multiple of the Federal minimum wage.
      3. Raise the Alternative Minimum Tax exemption to a multiple of the Federal minimum wage.

Estimated Married Married Married Married
      Tax Inflation Minimum New Tax Bracket New Tax Bracket New AMT New AMT
      Year Rate Wage Multiple Floor Multiple Exemption

2010 2.00000% 7.25
      2011 3.00000% 7.395 100 $1,538,160 8 $123,053
      2012 4.00000% 7.61685 90 $1,425,874 9 $142,587
      2013 5.50000% 7.921524 80 $1,318,142 10 $164,768
      2014 6.50000% 8.35720782 70 $1,216,809 11 $191,213
      2015 8.03283% 8.900426328 60 $1,110,773 12 $222,155
      2016 9.615382445 50 $1,000,000 13 $260,000

4. Rationale to force Republican support
      a. No small business owner makes an amount in excess of the “Married Tax Bracket Floor” unless they are
      (1) Under paying their employees
      (2) Over charging customers
      (3) Overcharging the Federal government on government contracts
      (4) They are attorneys.

• Ray says:

extending the tax cuts will help fix the unemployment problem this nation is suffering from….QE2 certainly will not. And neither will QE3 or QE4.
        Pumping asset prices creates two things…..inflation and another bubble to pop.

• Ray says:

oh, and abolish the Fed…..they cater to Wall Street…just like our POTUS.

All POTUS cater to Wall Street. That has been going on for decades. And with the USSC Decision on unlimited anonymous corporate campaign donations we are in for a whole lot more of you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Bush tax cuts are set to expire. Let them die. They went a long way in creating the mess we are in. Two wars and you cut taxes? Talk about moronic.

Ken, not sure I follow your idea, but, I am sure it makes sense. I may need to sit down with you and have you explain it.

4. Jaydavis says:

Signing Cliff Lee might sound intriguing to players wanting to win a WS ring. Maybe signing players for less money because Kershaw, C-Bill’s and Cliff Lee would make a sick rotation.

As long as the Yankees are involved in the bidding, the Dodgers won’t get a sniff.

I mean, come on, if you were a prized pitcher, and had your choice, what organization would you want to play for? The Yankees led the Major Leagues in runs scored, by a fairly large margin. They should do it again next year too. The Dodgers? 21st. Will they improve? Maybe.

On that Yankee team, a guy like Lee could win 20 easy. In that rotation, with Lee added, who is going to bet against the Yankees?

Good post Mark, but the last time I looked, the Dodgers finished 2 games below .500. That is going backwards, not forwards in an organization.

Badger I cannot say what will happen to the Dodgers in 2011, until I see the roster and some of Spring Training. I have to see the pitching rotation and pen. I have to see the bench. I have to see the 8 starters on the field.

I have to see if Kemp is the new-Kemp. Same with Martin (if he signs). Who is at 2b, 3b, LF and so on.

Other teams are beginning to fill their holes. Like Atlanta did at 2b.

Mark, if McCourt is still the owner come March. And if the Dodgers do not fill out the roster with acceptable players — even you will get tired of this downward spiral.

I keep watching the baseball news, and various posts for Dodger movement. So far, not much to post about.

• Ray says:

Roger-come out and read the news….the Dodgers signed Kuroda and Lilly. Thier rotation is amongst the best in the NL right now.
      And for those of you who think we should have received more for Lambo and McDonald. What makes you think any other teams wanted these two guys?

Is Claudio Vargas still in the running for the #5 starter?

Bye Wade, Bye Miller.

if the dbacks would be interested in loney, then start the justin upton package around loney!!!!

Thanks Ray, for telling me weeks old headlines.

I will take SF rotation over ours right now. Even up. Say Ray, did you read that the Giants won the World Series in 2010. And, the Dodgers were not even a .500 club.

Right now there are three teams in the N.L. West that are better than the Dodgers. And the Dodgers have not make enough moves as of yet to warrant any better finish in 2011.

• I disagree. The Giants have a solid rotation, but that lineup is still not good. Thr Rockies will lose JDLR and Francis in the rotation-have they signed 2 of the top 3 free agent pitchers like the Dodgers have? nope.
      The Padres will NOT duplicate their 2010 season….no way….no how.

Everything that could go wrong for LAD did go wrong in 2010….time’s, they are a’changin Roger…..you gotta believe!!!

The commenters on this site are really depressing….how many teams make the playoffs every year?? how many? did the Cardinals make the playoffs in 2010? no. Rockies-no? Padres-no? Phillies are on a 3 year streak, but they are getting old….Yankees-well they do because they spend twice as much as everyone else. Red Sox-nope.

Upton is set to make $35 million over the next 4 years. He’s out.

Ray, our rotation COULD be very good. But Lilly and Kuroda are over 70 years old, and neither has pitched 200 innings – Kuroda ever and Lilly in quite a while. Both were under .500 pitchers last year. Yeah, I know, stats don’t tell the whole story, but I see at least three rotations that are better, and maybe even four. We’ll see. I am hopeful, but I am also realistic. I threw my blue glasses away when Fox bought the Dodgers.

I agree with Roger that there are better teams in the West than us, but, things could change. Still waiting on the pre-Thanksgiving divorce settlement thing. I know some of you aren’t paying attention to those details, and, that’s ok. But, I prefer seeing the whole picture.

• But, Lilly and Kuroda were REAL close to 200 innings, which is very good. Kershaw was over 200ip….and Billz….he threw 191 last year….how many teams can say that?
      check out this link

LAD has 3 of the top 12 SPs in the NL in 2010 based on WAR-a fangraphs stat that levels the playing field for hitters and pitchers…takes out ballpark effects, etc.
      The Giants had 1 in top 12, Padres-none, Rockies-one…..
      btw-who are the 3-4 rotations better than LAD? Phillies-yes, Giants-eh….our 3 and 4 is better than Sanchez and Bumgarner, no?
      I like my blue-colored glasses…..bleed Dodger blue…..with Tommy.
      Give Mattingley/Colletti/McCourt a chance.

11. lawdog says:

Right now the Dodger rotation is the same as it was last year only sans Padilla-who might have been our best pitcher for stretches. To say that our rotation is amongst the best in baseball is either a joke or fantasyland material.

By continuing the Bush tax cuts for everyone except those making over $250,000 will effect only 3% of the population. And it saves the government over $700 BILLION. That’s how much it costs to give that 3% of the population their tax cut. And even those rich fat cats get the tax cut on the first $250,000 so it will hurt them about as much as a gnat might. They’ll have to use the tax savings to buy a $25,000 item instead of a $250,000 yacht. Poor deprived fat little bastards. The republicans scream for fiscal responsibility but refuse to eliminate the government give away to the richest of the rich despite the fact it will cost us nearly a trillion dollars in revenue to make this outrageous gift to the richest 3% amongst us.

And what will these rich fat cats do with their windfall? Make new jobs? Of course not! They’ll salt their ill-gotten loot away in the bank or other “safe” investments because you can never be too thin or too rich. And when you’re rich all you can do is worry about having someone take it away from you, particularly when the country is still in the midst of a severe depression..

And yet the Republicans scream that giving the tax cut to the richest 3% on taxable income over $250,000 is necessary to grow the economy and balance the budget. Instead of taxing that income over a quarter of a million and gaining nearly three quarters of a TRILLION lucky bucks to help solve the jobless problem, the Republicans want to cut unemployment benefits and cut health care for the poor and elderly.

Talk about thinking upside down.

Republican hypocrisy knows no bounds, it seems.

Amen ldog.

I just did some research and found out that the VEP (voting eligible population) for the 2010 elections was 41.3%.

That is very disappointing. You know, there are countries (Australia for example) where voting is compulsory. I wonder what the results would have been if EVERYONE eligible to vote actually did.

I have a lot of friends that lean to the right. And they just hate Obama. Fox taught them how. Obama, liberals, progressives are the enemy. Hate. And soon they will come with their second amendments strapped on.

But what my right leaning friends just cannot get — is when, in the future, they are denied some medical needs performed and their insurance company (if they have insurance) makes these Republican changes they want to make — they will say, when did that happen? Why is my insurance company not going to cover my daughters surgery?

Or, they loose their job or are retired early, and find that their unemployment check stops — they will say, hey, who did that?? I cannot make my house payment.

Or, they travel to a nation park and find that the entrance fee is $55, because the Republicans sold the national parks to corporations.

Or, they wake up and say, hey, the middle-class is gone, and I used to consider myself middle-class.

Wow, I sure wish the Dodgers would do something special, sign some good player, make a trade that helps the team.

15. lawdog says:

I’m glad Mark decided to open the blog up to political rants. Not much else going on right now for the Dogs–except signing geezer pitchers and wringing our hands over the fact that our roster has lots of holes and McGoo hasn’t any credit left which will allow him to buy the guys to fill those holes on credit and he’s already given away almost all the real prospects we were developing on the farm…

I’m afraid the cupboard is bare and we’ve run the credit cards over their limits. What’s a wannabe filthy rich owner to do when the operation of his cash cow starts to interfere with his outrageous life style??? :shock: :shock: :shock: :mad:

Hey, did you hear the one about the Republican Congressman who campaigned against health care and then demanded he get his immediately?

No really, did you hear about it?

A conservative Maryland physician elected to Congress on an anti-Obamacare platform surprised fellow freshmen at a Monday orientation by demanding to know why his government-subsidized health care plan takes a month to kick in.

“Republican Andy Harris, an anesthesiologist who defeated freshman Democrat Frank Kratovil on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, reacted incredulously when informed that federal law mandated that his government-subsidized health care policy would take effect on Feb. 1 — 28 days after his Jan. 3 swearing-in.

“He stood up and asked the two ladies who were answering questions why it had to take so long, what he would do without 28 days of health care,”

If you rail against health care, then walk the walk and refuse to use it. Hypocrits. All of them.

Anybody else but me want Mark Reynolds at third base? Maybe the dbacks would take Blake in return…. if we pay them for it.

17. lawdog says:

What a frickin’ hypocrite! “Dandy Andy” Harris should resign his office in shame.

Never underestimate the power[ignorance]of the people.
    Sarah Palin might very well be our next Commander in Chief. Luckily six weeks later it will be December 21, 2012 and the world will end. Whew, that was close!

well technically then she’d never get the opportunity to be our commander in chief then! :)

more importantly, what am i going to do without any more AFL games after today?!!

20. Roger Dodger:

I lean to the right and hate Obama without Fox’s help….thank you very much!

21. Mark Timmons says:

Badger said:

“I am sure you worked hard and are proud of that. But many thousands of people out there have also worked hard and lost everything.”

I say: I guarantee that NO ONE. NO ONE ON THIS BOARD has had more taken away by the government than me. I just went back to work and NEVER expected the government to take care of me.”

Badger said:

“McCourt is an embarrassment. He is also a member of the same boys club you belong to, so, enjoy your martinis together.”

I say: Typical Democrat response. When you have no facts try and lay down a smokescreen. Fact: Frank is Democrat. Look it up! Fact: Because of your politics, you would hob-nob with his ilk before I would.”

I am not a supporter of McCourt – I tolerate him. Same as Obama! He’s the President – move on. I can’t do anything about it right now.

Blacks were slaves centuries ago, and many still lament it to this day. Many act as if the government should take care of them. In WWII, the Japanese were rounded up, had their property taken and were sent to prison camps. They just went back to work and never expected the government to take care of them. Which group has prospered?

Name one thing that big government can do that REALLY helps the people. Dems or Reps! They all suck!

• yes, big government has failed at everything…..if you want universal heath care….talk to those in Europe who have to wait for a hospital bed…..or their cancer treatments…..please

22. lawdog says:

“Big government” can rebuild the decaying infra structure. It also can provide the means to keep innocent people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own from starving to death, die from exposure to the elements or the lack of basic health care services. (I’m talking about innocent people who worked hard all their lives but lost their jobs through outsourcing because the wealthy corporations could make a few extra bucks by sending as many jobs as they can to other countries where there are no restrictions on how little employees are paid.) “Big government” can regulate credit card bankers to keep them from arbitrarily raising interest rates to 30% APR on a consumer’s balance for no reason at all except that they can and it’s profitable to do so. “Big government” can provide tax incentives to businesses that actually create new jobs. Big government can provide benefits to the disabled so they don’t die in droves on the street. “Big government” can regulate businesses so that they don’t form de facto trusts and monopolies which otherwise would rob everyone who has no choice but to purchase their products or services. “Big government” can regulate medical insurance so that the high profit corporations don’t drop people when they become sick or raise rates as much and as often as they want just because they can. “Big government” can…. Well, you should get the picture by now my friend.

The list goes on and on.

I didn’t realize you were such a reactionary conservative Mark. You say you hate Republicans as much as you hate Democrats but the position you take sounds like it’s coming straight from Sarah Palen’s handbook for tea bagger wannabes…

Me thinks thou dost protest too much.

Where did the “expect government to take care of them” b.s. come from? That is a specious argument. Despite what you are being told by Fixed News, people aren’t asking to be taken care of, people are asking to go back to work so they can keep their homes. Wall Street gets bailed out what is the first thing they do? They throw a party and give themselves bonuses. Why? Because they can. Who is going to stop them? Since there are no more regulations, they can do whatever they want. Change the laws? I doubt it after the Supreme Court ruling already referenced.

It’s OUR money. Shouldn’t it be used for OUR good? The new health care system will save this country billions. Look it up. And, how about some WPA projects for much needed infrastructure rebuilding to put people to work and keep this country competitive with the rest of the world? That is the biggest difference betweeen you and I Mark. You don’t mind the borrowing of money to pay for wars because it saved you a couple of dollars. I want my taxes spent on our own people. Our taxes have been sent directly into the pockets of war profiteers and big banks for way too long. Tax breaks for the rich? Screw that, they have had it their way for a decade. Tax breaks while starting two wars? I see you never addressed that.

I still don’t believe Frank McCourt is a Democrat. He makes way too much money to be in the people’s party.

Oh yeah… good one Michael.

25. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

Two words:

George Soros!

26. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

There is no one so blind as he who will not see.

Google Frank McCourt and Democrat and you can see what he contributed to, unless you truly don’t want to see the truth.

27. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

You act like we don’t know and that you have the corner on knowledge. Did you know that President Bush expanded the federal budget by a historic $700 billion through 2008 and that President Obama would add another $1 trillion. Did you know that President Bush started the expensive finan­cial bailouts, while President Obama dramatically accelerated that course. Did you know that President Bush created a Medicare drug entitle­ment that will cost an estimated $800 billion in its first decade, but then President Obama proposed a $634 billion down payment on a new govern­ment health care fund. Did you know that President Bush increased federal education spending 58 percent faster than inflation, but that Presi­dent Obama would double it. Did you know that President Bush became the first President to spend 3 percent of GDP on federal antipoverty programs, but that President Obama has already in­creased this spending by 20 percent. Did you know that President Bush tilted the income tax burden more toward upper-income taxpayers and of couse President Obama is continuing that trend.
    Did you know that President Bush presided over a $2.5 trillion increase in the public debt through 2008, but setting aside 2009 (for which Presidents Bush and Obama share responsibility for an additional $2.6 trillion in public debt), President Obama’s budget would add $4.9 trillion in public debt from the beginning of 2010 through 2016. I am sure that Obama defenders will claim that the numbers above do not include spending on Iraq and Afghanistan during the Bush years. Yes, they most certainly do.

COME ON MAN!

28. Mark Timmons says:

Draw your own conclusions.

There are always two sides.

You can be killed by being shot or stabbed, but either way, you are dead. Spin it how you want.

Here is an interesting take on the subject from a Nobel Prize winner. Yeah, I know, “Nobel Prize”. Doesn’t mean much to those on the right because it’s all about academians giving each other accolades – maybe like the Academy Awards?

Be sure to read the many comments following the article. It is my opnion that they represent the actual majority of how Americans feel about what is going on on Capital Hill.

mark. i love ur dodger posts. this is an awesome place to discuss dodger baseball because most of us, despite disagreeing at times, are knowledgable baseball fans.

as far as ur bush post above: please. not even worth responding to. please. the guy was the worst disaster to hit the white house EVER.

Not even in the top 10 worse ray.

Go ahead and research it. I did. Bush II still has a shot at it, as scholars on the subject don’t like him much. But, most studies say the top 5 are Buchanon, Harding, A Johnson, Pierce and Fillmore. Nixon is in the top 10 though, so, you got that going for you.

But like I said, hang in there, Bush will make it eventually.

30. Mark Timmons says:

Bobby, I am not a Bush supporter, but there are two sides to every story. There may be a day when you pine for Georgie Boy! ;)

BTW, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett are Democrats, so not all the super rich are Republicans. In fact, if I had time, I would look it up…

and I have only allowed this dialogue to contine just to demonstrate to everyone that there ARE two sides to every discussion AND when we don’t talk about the Dodgers, it is very boring!

Bobby, when I was in H.S. (say 1958) there was a teacher that used to say, “there are thee ways to understand things, the right way, the wrong way, and the Navy way.”

With Mark, it is “the right way, the left way, and the Mark way.” As long as I have known Mark, he laughs at both parties, and says he is his own guy, but he still give big bucks to the Republican party.

I believe the only two presidents in the past forty years or so, to keep within the budget were Carter and Clinton. For all of the talk about Ronnie as a wonderful President — he blew the budget wide open. So did W. Obama’s problem is that the war, started by Bush, continued by Obama — just costs big money.

Dodger fans know about big money. Right now the owner does not have any. Even if he brings in the most fans to the ball park in 2011, he, his wife, and kids spend toooooo much.

• Reagan was the best….BEST. Clinton did what? He benefitted from a strong stock market bubble that popped? what else? he liked cigars?

btw-if Obama thinks QE2 will add jobs, he’s nuts. He rammed about regulating WS and has done squat…..NOTHING.
      I guarantee he will have a comfy corner office at Goldman Sachs in 2012….because he won;t be a two-term POTUS.
      If you want to know what should be done to cure the issues on WS…..i highly recommend reading a free blog: caracommunity.com…run by Bill Cara….I have been reading his blog for about 5 years….very intelligent man who manages money….he posted an article today about what should be done-one was to abolish the Fed. The Fed caters to WS instead of their agenda. And the SEC is a joke.

Reagan?! Puleeeze. Ask the farmers what they thought of his policies.

“The Reagan-Bush years have exalted private gain over public obligation, special interests over the common good, wealth and fame over work and family. The 1980s ushered in a Gilded Age of greed and selfishness, of irresponsibility and excess, and of neglect.” (from an article by a Nobel Prize winning economist. You probably never heard of him so, just take my word for it)

Read up on your new president:

If he hadn’t listened to the Party of No for so long, many more of these issues would be further along. I am disappointed he didn’t just tell the right wing to either help or get out of the way. As my platoon leader in Vietnam used to say “f*%$ fight or hold the light”.

Aren’t you glad you started a politcal thread Mark. There hasn’t been this much spirit in here in a long time. Maybe if the Dodgers actually do something we can start talking about it.

Roger, of the last 5 presidents, the three who increased the debt the largest were all Republicans. Reagan was the biggest borrower (% wise) of all, by a considerable margin in fact, followed by Bush II then Bush I. The idea that Republicans are fiscally conservative is a myth.

Did not Reagan raise taxes 11 times? Gee, we forgot about that. Oh, yes, “his Presidential Library, included 1,123 — 3 by 5 cards with the notes written on them for him” (Johnny Carson once said).

Ray, just watch Rachael Maddow each night and you will understand.

• understand what? does Maddow offer anything of value? I have only watched that channel a handful of times, but she…or is it he….and Olbermann are unwatchable.

You just don’t understannd her ray. She has a PhD in Politics from Oxford University. She is brilliant.

Maybe if she talked r e a l s l o w ……

just kidding…… don’t get your panties in a bunch….

Maybe you just don’t understand her ray. She has a PhD in Politics from Oxford University. She is brilliant.

Maybe if she talked r e a l s l o w…..

just kidding… don’t get your panties in a bunch…

this is fun… don’t you think?

“or is it he”

and there’s the right wing tolerance for you. Nicely done ray.

You just don’t understand her. You see, she has a PhD in Politics from Oxford University.

Maybe if she talked r e a l s l o w…

relax….just kidding.

But, your check your zipper dude, your prejudice is showing…

Hey, don’t feel bad you don’t understand. She has her PhD in Politics from Oxford. Sometimes even I don’t understand her and I have my fake Doctorate in Epistemological Philosophy from PUH. She is brilliant and spends her entire life researching this stuff. I just google. Like when I googled the 100 dumbest things W said and about four hundred sites came up.

Stick to Beck.

• Ray says:

the Phd doesn’t mean she is good television…..what I saw the few times I watched, she was unwatchabl;e

Is it homophobia maybe?

I get the same feeling about Beck and O’Reilly. Rust Lintball is impossible. I’ve tried, I really have. I find them completey without substance. Beck is just a clown. But, he is paid about $35 million to do what he does. I told my wife, for that kind of money, I too would make a public fool of myself. Everybody has their price I guess.

Where’s our presidential scholar ldog on this subject? He has forgotten more about this subject than some in here know about it.

• Ken says:

My tax plan is a solid compromise that increases taxes only for the super rich and reduces the AMT for the middled and upper middle class. PS Obama’s plan to cut taxes for everyone with an AGI less than $250,000 will cost the Fed $3,300 billion over ten years which is much more than the $700 billion for the rich and super rich. Reducing tax rates usually stimulates the economy and raise tax receipts. Unfortuantely noone ever has the balls to prevent an even higher increase in expenditures.

I predict that inflation will be higher then the unemployment rate on the day that Obama loses the 2012 election.

understand what? does Maddow offer anything of value?

Maybe you just don’t understand her ray. She has a PhD in Politics from Oxford University. She is brilliant and does extensive research on her topics.

Maybe if she talked r e a l s l o w…….

just kidding.. don’t get your panties in a bunch…

this is fun… don’t you think?

Hey, I see the Dodgers signed a couple of Japanese kids to contracts. One is an 18 year old high school kid. I didn’t know they did that. Another is a 21 year old college kid. They should be in the rotation by tomorrow.

37. Badger…

Do those japanese kids lean to left or right?

One right, one left.

Must keep balance glasshoppa.

39. Mark Timmons says:

Quotes of the Day:

“If Hillary gave Obama one of her balls, he would have two.”James Carville

“We have just lost this election, we need to draw a line, and if this president can’t do what we need, it is time to start looking somewhere else.”George Soros

Not my words – someone else’s – both Democrats

• lawdog says:

So? Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one. What Soros or Hillary think is totally irrelevant to any specific issue you want to discuss. Can you tell me what Prince Charles thinks about Obama??? Who cares what they think?

And, they are both right.

41. lawdog says:

I can’t for the life of me figure out why Mark seems to think it reflects badly on the Democratic Party that there are some assholes like Bill Gates or McGoo who support it. That’s totally irrelevant–unless you can show they’ve somehow “lobbied’ the administration to get some legislation favorable to them personally. But that’s the Republican way most of the time.

That’s the American way. Any asshole is free to support any party they want. What are the democrats supposed to do, tell them they can’t call themselves democrats because they’re assholes? C’mon Mark. You’re better than that. Talk about fuzzy thinking. :shock:

And i don’t have a problem with creating new tax rates for those in the higher income levels like I think Ken is suggesting, although I worry that he may have had a few too many brews when he posted his plan there. It’s hard to figure out exactly what he’s trying to say. But keeping the tax cuts in place for those earning under $250,00 is not moronic. You don’t want to raise taxes for the people you need to have out there spending their wages on products if you don’t want the system to collapse further. End the Bush tax cut for the wealthiest (i.e. those earning more than $250,00 is a reasonable point.) As a compromise to the Republicans you could then create a new tax cut for the wealthiest that is larger at the bottom and gradually becomes less as the income per annum grows towards $750,000 and then is ended for the rest of the fat cats. Then have this new tax cut gradually phase down and out to try and describe it in the vernacular. Then come up with some tax credits tied directly to the creation of new jobs as Obama has recently suggested so that businesses get directly paid in tax savings for making new jobs. Continue the credit for enough years to make sure the new job doesn’t disappear after the first year.

But don’t expect the Republicans to talk about any of this with the Obama people of the Democrats in general. They’ve made it clear that they are hell bent on blocking anything Obama suggests so they can blame the failure of the government to do anything for the next two years on him and insure the election of their candidate in 2012. They may well succeed as they just demonstrated. They can lie about Obama and the Dems and gin up a frenzy of fear based anti-progressive sentiment. They’ve shown they have no conscience whatsoever and the truth is totally irrelevant to them. All that matters to the tea baggers as well as the republicans is winning by any Machiavellian means possible.

It might back fire on them and elect a loose cannon like Sarah Palin in 2012, but in any event, if Obama is not re-elected, expect the whole damn country to go to hell in a hand basket, pronto.

42. Mark Timmons says:

There is no way in hell Obama will be re-elected.

Lawdog,

You blast every Republican when you hear some report you deem bad.

And, for the record. I am in favor of the “Flat-Rate Tax” I think that works for everyone.

The McCourts would have had to pay millions and millions of lawyers would be looking for work.

Mark me down as a Mike Huckabee supporter.

43. Mark Timmons says:

You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. As we say in the Army, I’ll bet you couldn’t pour p!ss out of a boot with instructions printed on the heel.

You are a canker. A sore that won’t go away. I would rather kiss a trial lawyer than be seen with you. You’re a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

You are a bleating foal, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth into this world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by the puke-drooling, giggling beasts who sired you and then killed themselves in recognition of what they had done. I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformity. I barf at the very thought of you.

You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid you. You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the dregs of this earth. And did I mention you smell? Try to edit your responses of unnecessary material before attempting to impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop will still be available to readers, but they will be able to access it more rapidly. You snail-skulled little rabbit. Would that a hawk pick you up, drive its beak into your brain, and upon finding it rancid set you loose to fly briefly before spattering the ocean rocks with the frothy pink shame of your ignoble blood.

May you choke on the queasy, convulsing nausea of your own trite, foolish beliefs. You are weary, stale, flat and unprofitable. You are grimy, squalid, nasty and profane. You are foul and disgusting. You’re a fool, an ignoramus. Monkeys look down on you. Even sheep won’t have sex with you.

You are unreservedly pathetic, starved for attention, and lost in a land that reality forgot. And what meaning do you expect your delusionally self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the snake?

You are a waste of flesh. You have no rhythm. You are ridiculous and obnoxious. You are the moral equivalent of a leech. You are a living emptiness, a meaningless void. You are sour and senile. You are a disease, you puerile, one-handed, slack-jawed, drooling, meatslapper. On a good day you’re a half-wit. You remind me of drool.

You are deficient in all that lends character. You have the personality of wallpaper. You are dank and filthy. You are asinine and benighted. You are the source of all unpleasantness. You spread misery and sorrow wherever you go. You smarmy lagerlout git. You bloody woofter sod. Bugger off, pillock. You grotty wanking oik artless base-court apple-john. You clouted boggish foot-licking twit. You dankish clack-dish plonker. You gormless crook-pated tosser. You churlish boil-brained clotpole ponce. You cockered bum-bailey poofter. You craven dewberry pisshead cockup pratting naff. You gob-kissing gleeking flap-mouthed coxcomb. You dread-bolted fobbing beef-witted clapper-clawed flirt-gill.

You are a fiend and a coward, and you have bad breath. You are degenerate, noxious and depraved. I feel debased just for knowing you exist. I despise everything about you, and I wish you would go away.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid, so stupid it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Your writing has to be a troll. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know. I’m sorry. I can’t go on. This is an epiphany of stupid for me.

After this, you may not hear from me again for a while. I don’t have enough strength left to deride your ignorant questions and half baked comments about unimportant trivia, or any of the rest of this drivel. Duh. The only thing worse than your logic is your manners. I have snipped away most of what you wrote, because, well… it didn’t really say anything.

Your attempt at constructing a creative post was pitiful. I mean, really, stringing together a bunch of insults among a load of babbling was hardly effective… Maybe later in life, after you have learned to read, write, spell, and count, you will have more success. True, these are rudimentary skills that many of us “normal” people take for granted that everyone has an easy time of mastering. But we sometimes forget that there are “challenged” persons in this world who find these things more difficult. If I had known, that this was your case then I would have never read your post. It just wouldn’t have been “right”. Sort of like parking in a handicap space. I wish you the best of luck in the emotional, and social struggles that seem to be placing such a demand on you.

P.S.: You are hypocritical, greedy, violent, malevolent, vengeful, cowardly, deadly, mendacious, meretricious, loathsome, despicable, belligerent, opportunistic, barratrous, contemptible, criminal, fascistic, bigoted, racist, sexist, avaricious, tasteless, idiotic, brain-damaged, imbecilic, insane, arrogant, deceitful, demented, lame, self-righteous, byzantine, conspiratorial, satanic, fraudulent, libelous, bilious, splenetic, spastic, ignorant, clueless, illegitimate, harmful, destructive, dumb, evasive, double-talking, devious, revisionist, narrow, manipulative, paternalistic, fundamentalist, dogmatic, idolatrous, unethical, cultic, diseased, suppressive, controlling, restrictive, malignant, deceptive, dim, crazy, weird, dystopic, stifling, uncaring, plantigrade, grim, unsympathetic, jargon-spouting, censorious, secretive, aggressive, mind-numbing, arassive, poisonous, flagrant, self-destructive, abusive, socially-retarded, puerile, and generally Not Good.

Begone and never pollute our ether with your presence again!

;)

44. Mark Timmons says:

Feel free to use that when appropriate.

45. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

We just hired Davey lopes as our first base coach. He’s arguably the best baserunning coach in the Major Leagues. This is a huge move and one that I’m happy about

46. lawdog says:

Mark. Do you mind if I use that as a response the next time I get flamed on a a Rams board? :mrgreen:

Sounds like Mel Gibson is in the house.

I was for a flat tax years ago too Mark. It won’t fly. Think of all the people it would put out of work.

Davey Lopes? Didn’t even see it. Good move. Now, let’s get Orel in here and Scioscia away from the halos.

The idea that allowing the misguided and incredibly ill-timed tax cuts expire will cause millionaire business owners to somehow not create new jobs is an appeal to the really stupid. Unfortunately, it works on 20% of the American people. The rich have had 10 years of these tax cuts and where are the jobs? They will just put the money into their portfolios and let it ride on Wall Street.

Obama a one termer? Maybe. Depends on who goes against him. Whoever it is has to learn how to actually do something and say “yes”. Huckabee. Hope so. He’s yesterday’s news. And, under Huckabee Arkansas spending doubled as did violent crime rate. And as you know, education in Arkansas is ALWAYS a priority. The state’s overall report card under Huckabee was a D+, so, he has that going for him. Personally, I hope it’s Palin. And, she can pick Christine O’Donnell as her running mate.

48. lawdog says:

Glenn Beck has the inside track on being President Palin’s running mate. If Palin is the nominee I’d expect even the dumbest of the dumbass voters to see what she’s really about and Obama would be reelected in a land slide of Nixon vs. McGovern proportions.

The masses are asses and easily duped. Alexis de Tocqueville centuries ago said the the American Democracy would ultimately fail for that very reason. Lincoln was right when he said you can’t fool all of the people all of the time. But unfortunately, you only have to fool 50% of the people, plus one, all of the time to steal the power from all of the people. The Republicans are trying to prove they are quite adept at just that.

Huckabee for President? Do you really ant the country run by a man who believes the universe was created in 7 literal days 5000 years ago and that dinosaurs are a hoax?

49. Mark Timmons says:

Yes, only the Democratic intellectuals know what is best for us morons. We are just too stupid to understand.

You are legends in your own mind and get off on making fun of people you think are less intelligent.

Problem is: I have a son like that. Smart as hell (democrat). Can’t accomplish shit (democrat).

His republican old man has to bail him out all the time.

Find your sugar daddies, because you sure as hell can’t do it yourself!

This is just living proof that the smarter they are, the dumber they come.

50. Mark Timmons says:

At 40 years old, the government had taken everything I had.

I set out to fix it myself.

17 years later, here I am. The Democrats took every dime I had (literally).

I could bitch about it like you guys do, but instead I decided to re-make my fortune. Honestly, legally and with dignity.

I did. I didn’t bitch. I didn’t hang around with the good-ole-boys. I didn’t blame.

I worked because I never expected the government to do it for me. I worked because I knew I had to.

Sorry if you are smart, but lazy! I will do my best to make sure I don’t take care of you. Damn sure!

You self-righteous, lazy, insolent, smug, lazy, lazy, bitchers make me ill!

51. Mark Timmons says:

Victim of this

Victim of that.

Your Mommys too thin

and your Daddys too fact.

Get over it.

Get a job.

Get to work!

I thnk if you stop being so angry and take a look at legislative accomplishments over the years, you will see that the Democratic Party has done much more for the people than the Republicans have.

I wish this wasn’t such a polarized red and blue issue. ldog is right about many things, it’s a fact that only 41% of American people bother to register their opinion, and polls can’t be trusted. You can quote a poll that tells me one thing and I can counter it with another poll. But I still maintain that if everyone had to vote the Democrats would win.

Get a job. Get to work. That is your message. You continue to assume the American worker does not want to work. You are just as out of touch as you are accusing those who don’t agree with you to be.

Stop warring and start reconstructing. Take the trillion you spend on your war machine and create jobs to rebuild America. Our infrastructure is failing – I told you this 8 years ago! – rich people don’t need another Mercedez, that $85,000 tax break would create 3 jobs to feed a family and keep them in their house.

Whether you care to face it our not is your choice, but the fact is, we are all in this together. The country is going broke, and it started in 2001. It’s ten years later, what do you intend to do about it?

For Mark.. look I know you don’t read the “liberally biased” reports I put up here, I can tell your mind is already made up on the subject, but this is an article I think we can all relate to, it talks of the hate that is flying around this country and this planet. And, don’t you know hate is exactly what the politicians want? If we continue to scream at each other, instead of at them, they will continue to do what they are doing……….

54. lawdog says:

Good article Badger.

I saw Obama’s press conference this morning and Ruth and I were appalled at what he’s been reduced to. He looks like he’s aged 15 years and his speech is so chopped up when he answers questions that he puts everyone to sleep. Hardly the same smooth orator who won the election with his rhetorical skills. It’s like he has to measure every word. He’s got to project confidence when he speaks or he’s going to be reduced to food for the Republican sharks and end up a one term President while the country goes down in flames with some half wit who’s sold out to big business at the helm.

And Mark, I don’t know what to say to you. We discuss issues and all you seem to want to do is personally attack those of us who are not staunch Republicans like yourself, spewing anger and worse at us for not buying the Republican agenda, hook line and sinker.

Instead of raging at the jobless poor for having the audacity to have been laid off through no fault of their own when their jobs were outsourced, why not actually address one of the issues we’ve raised?

Intelligent conversation beats the hell out of screaming at someone you don’t agree with on a particular issue. And not everyone is fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time to develop a thriving business like you did. I don’t for a minute doubt that it took a lot of hard work and intelligence to do what you’ve done, but if you were suddenly thrust back into the work force today you might find it a little more difficult, through no fault of your own, to put yourself in the $250,000+ per annum tax bracket again.

If you really think we should let the poor starve because it’s their own damn fault that they aren’t millionaires, then I’m not sure I’d want to be your friend. That’s real cold.

55. Mark Timmons says:

1. For the record I am an Independent with Republican leanings.

2. I have NEVER donated a dime to ANY political party and never will.

3. There are a lot better things to donate to.

56. lawdog says:

It’s funny that you’d insist you’re an Independent. All three of my other extremely conservative friends in the real as opposed to virtual world say the same thing. Why is it shameful to say you support the Republicans rater than the Democrats.

I’d ask, just out of curiosity, whether you’ve ever voted for a Democrat for a national political office. From the way you talk I’ll bet if you haven’t. Not that I expect you to answer. Personally, I’ve never voted for a Republican for the Senate, Congress or Presidency. That’s not to say that I couldn’t if the right one came along who was moderately progressive and into bipartisan compromise while the Democratic candidate was off in fantasyland. You just don’t see candidates from the Republican party who are even remotely moderate or supporters of progressive legislation these days. Hell, you don’t even see Republicans who are looking to pass bipartisan legislation anymore.

The tea party has radically changed the face of the Republican Party–and not for the better. I expect it to get worse before it gets better.

I’ll pose this question though: Can a person legitimately consider themselves an independent if they’ve never voted for a Democratic candidate for a major political office?

57. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

I voted for Bill Clinton (once) and I voted for a Democratic Mayor of Indianapolis (the Republican won and has been awesome). I have voted for Evan Bayh and might vote for him if he ran for President.

I said I was an Independent with Republican leanings. Why is that hard for you to understand?

I am not in favor of Big Government. Dems are. End of story.

I am for Law and Order. I am for putting price fixers and crooks in jail, but I am not for a welfare state.

I understand why the Republicans feel the way they do. I am not a Tea Party Guy, but I see why some are.

I view Democrats as people who want a safety net.

There ain’t one in real life.

You make your own breaks and you get what you believe.

You are a smart metaphysical guy, but you are rabid with anger at times. Let it go. It will kill you.

My best friend in Black and is a Democrat. I still have hope for him…

My parting shot: If you are young and not a Democrat, you have no heart. If you are old and are a Democrat, you have no brains.

58. lawdog says:

In your parting shot you got the first part right. If you are young and have no compassion for the working poor or the jobless who are victims of outsourcing you probably vote republican and have a heart of stone.

But why would that change with age? It’s illogical to say your mental state changes from heartless to brainless based solely on your age. Either you have compassion or you don’t. Age has nothing to do with it. Most progressives have a heart, young or old. Most conservatives have no compassion for those less fortunate than they themselves are.

59. Mark Timmons says:

Well, I have compassion. I am not going to itemize, but I give a lot away, because I know what it’s like to have nothing. We are ALWAYS helping someone. I know a lot of conservatives who do the same. Democrats too. The governament ain’t the right way.

60. Mark Timmons says:

BTW,

I disagree with your generalizations.

61. lawdog says:

I was just analyzing your “parting shot”. You didn’t have to take it personally.

Mark, why do you say the Dems believe in big government end of story when it is in FACT the Republicans who spend more?

You see, that is why your argument loses credibility.

End of story.

63. lawdog says:

Pax Mark. It’s always been pax from my perspective. There isn’t much baseball to discuss these days, particularly since we don’t have the money available to make sweeping changes the way the Yankees always do so we have to have something to talk about until the games start next spring… ;)

64. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

You can’t say that after Obama…

Maybe. Or, maybe he is just trying to dig his way out of the massive hole left by your guy W.

The guy has been in office less than two years. You were willing to throw him out after 6 months. I think his problem is, he has been to easy on the Republicans. Just say no to those guys. You were put into office to lead… so lead. If you are wrong, we will throw you out in four years.

We have a history Mark, that only a few in here know about. I told you years ago where we were headed and you defended Bush. Remember? I told you what was going to happen and it did. And now? What is your plan? What is the Republican Plan? And don’t say tax cuts. That’s all they every have. It didn’t work then, it won’t work now.

Obviously, if you read the Nobel Prize winning economist Paul Krugman’s articles I have posted you would have read that it is his opinion, as well as many other economists, that the government is the only business large enough to repair the damage done by government itself. The stimulus needs to be larger, and, it needs to be used NOT for bonuses for Wall Street, or to line the pockets of war profiteers. It needs to be used to put people back to work. That is the only thing that will bring our debt load back to black. General Motors is a pretty good example of what I am talking about.

I too am disappointed in Obama. Not because of what he has done, as he has done plenty. I am disappointed that he hasn’t taken the time to explain to the people what it is he HAS done, and where it is we need to go. Also, I am disappointed in his weakness when it comes to telling the minority party to sit on it. You had your chance and you f’d it up.