Andy LaRoche, Delwyn Young DFA’ed

Andy LaRoche, Delwyn Young DFA’ed

The Pirates designated Andy LaRoche, Delwyn Young and Zach Duke for assignment today.

I often hear people lament that the Dodgers don’t have any Top 50 Prospects, but let me remind you that it was but a few short years ago when Andy LaRoche was a Top 20 Prospect.  They don’t call it Top Guaranteed MLB PLayer. They call it Top Prospect.  Nothing less, nothing more.

I’ll cut to the chase and let the statmeisters spin this both ways – These are three players the Dodgers should consider obtaining.

Andy LaRoche was once a very amazing prospect.  Maybe I just hate to be wrong, but man, he was good.  Is it too late?  I would give it a chance, but it’s up to Ned.

Delwyn Young I see as a pinch hitter extraordinaire.  Give him a shot too.

Zach Duke was once considered a Top-of-the-Rotation Starter.  Maybe he could be the Dodgers #5.

I’d get Andy.  But, I’m very biased!

It’s illogical, it’s unlikely, it’s almost impossible, it’s downright crazy!

ANDY FREAKIN’ LaROCHE?

No way…

… but I hate to be wrong.

I remember this:

Be Bold and Mighty Forces Will Come To Your Aid!

35 Responses to “Andy LaRoche, Delwyn Young DFA’ed”

Mark, you have a very busy week next week. You plan to bring in Beltre to play 3b next Tuesday, then bring in LaRoche on Wednesday to also play 3b.

Maybe one could be the short fielder.

2. Jaydavis says:

I just want say I’m sick to my stomach. The fact the dodgers will have the same team as last year. The fact the dodgers won’t sign one big free agent—maybe Dunn. The fact we have MANY holes to fill and not enough money. The fact our GM is sooo mediocre. Our Dodgers need defense. Defense and pitching wins games defense never slump

3. Mark Timmons says:

Jay Davis,

Defense and Dunn don’t compute.

Why isn’t Badger in here ringing a bell for Andy’s return? Now that Badger will be lobbying for Andy, I’m sure Brooklyn will follow as I still think they are the same person. This could be the biggest move of the offseason. j/k boys

5. Jaydavis says:

I know. that’s why I’m sick. Why not Beltre, Crawford, or Werth.

maybe we’ll get lucky and in 3 yrs the pirates will designate lambo and jmac for assignment too

7. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

I’d bring Duke in for a look…. but I’d also bring Brandon Webb in for a look too

8. Mark Timmons says:

So far, the prospects the Dodgers have given away the past several years have all flopped. Santana, Mac and Lambo are pending…

When LaRoche was actually considered a propect (he tore up AA and AAA) we had three 5 star prospects…. Kerhsaw, LaRoche and Chin Lung Hu.

We actually hit on one of them.

Yes Bill, I liked LaRoche more than I did Blake. I have no idea what happened, I doubt anyone does. Sometimes you get Posey, sometimes you get LaRoche.

The Dodgers have given their share away over the years. Some of the blunders are legendary.. Martinez, Konerko, Piazza…. but it happens to all teams. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it don’t.

But I think we can all admit (well maybe not all of us) that the Dodgers are at a critical crossroads and they need to get it right this year.

I wish them luck. They are going to need it.

• why critical? is the NL West that tough to win in 2011? The Giants peaked at the right time and won the WS….the Rockies lost like 13 of their last 14 games to end the season. They have issues as well
      SD will not duplicate their 2010 season.And the DBacks are rebuilding….not sure I follow your statement.

“not sure I follow your statement.”

You never have ray. Why start now? How about this, you can just ignore my posts, and I will do the same for yours.

• I was being sincere……but whatever. Not sure why this offseason is so critical.

OK, in an effort at being sincere, let me quickly explain what I meant by wishing them luck…..

whatever they do this off-season, they need to get it right. It is my opinion that the contract to Lilly was risky, especially the way it was structured. Do you really believe he will be worth $12 million when he is 37 years old? I would say I don’t, but then, I might here it from you. $12 million for Kuroda? He is 36 and never pitched 200 innings in his life. This is his last year before heading home. Hope he makes it through the year.

This team still has needs that must be addressed in order to be real contenders. And picking up the Padilla’s, Ortiz’, and Belliard’s of the league ain’t gonna get it.

And then, there is the ownership issues. Still waiting for Gordon’s ruling……… any day now…….

Actually Bill, Badger and I don’t always agree. But we do agree often, and that’s because great minds think alike.

LaRoche probably wouldn’t be a bad guy to bring in as a non-roster invitee. But certainly he’s not someone to count on. In fact the Dodgers, like every MLB team will bring in a number of non-roster invitees, and maybe one or two will stick, but most, and maybe none, won’t.

I’m not all that sanguine about Delwyn Young being an effective pinch hitter. I still think a lot of Dodger fans remember his hot September in 2007, when everything he swung at was a line drive. But breaking balls and offspeed pitches have a way of putting a damper on things. Young appears to be a dead fastball hitter with a very quick bat. And I’m sure the word has gotten around. Besides, his defense is atrocious, and we also have Jay Gibbons to pinch hit from the left side. And we have another lefthanded hitter with a quick bat but questionable ability to handle breaking/offspeed stuff, i.e., Xavier Paul. Oh, and Gibbons/Paul also fall short defensively. You can only carry so many of those type players.

Mark is right, “Defense and Dunn don’t compute.” Which is why I’m beginning to think that speed and defense, not just power should be a prime consideration in the Dodgers thinking when trying to fill holes, e.g., the outfield. And I think that becomes especially true now that it appears that Lopes will be on board. I’m hopeful that his presence will make baserunning (not just base stealing) a bigger factor in the Dodgers offense.

Some people may be getting impatient because Colletti hasn’t done much on the player side beyond signing Gibbons, Lilly and Kuroda. But if memory serves, I believe he has a history of acting later in the offseason. I will continue to withhold my judgment, knowing that moves are possible from this point all the way through spring training. Heck, we haven’t even gotten to the winter meetings yet.

Finally, no matter what player moves the Dodgers make, it is more than likely that whatever success (or lack thereof) that they have in 2011 will be dependent on the resurgence of players like Ethier, Kemp and Loney, assuming none of them are traded. Also, how much will Kershaw and Billingsley continue to grow, and will Broxton turn it around?

With some of the comments above about our great farm talent traded to other teams — and not working out for them — just underlines how weak the Dodger farm system has been and is presently.

Maybe the Pirates feel so bad after the trade for Dotel last year — they are giving LaRoche back to the Dodgers. By letting him go, knowing that he is to sign with the Dodgers — that could be called: “even Steven” or working under the table.

What I do not understand is this — with the money the Dodgers will bring in, in attendance and DodgerDogs and all — go out and sign some key player. Get it done. Ticket sales will go up. Jersey sales will go up. More folks will go to Spring Training.

• if Beltre wants a 5 year deal I am not sure LAD will get involved. But I would love for him to come back….maybe 3 years for a bit more money per year to entice him to accept a lower-termed deal.

Brooklyn, I make assumptions here: for those folks that love the Dodgers and Dodger tradition — here is our positive thought.

Kershaw and Billingsley will get better and better and be a great 1-2 punch next season. Kuroda & Lilly will get their share of wins and win some very important games.

Kemp and Martin will get it figured out under Lopes guidance. Loney will go back to his old way of hitting and grow and grow and be a feared hitter in the league. Ethier will be Mr. Baseball. His glove, arm, and key hits make him MVP material.

Furcal will play 133 games and in those games will help to lead the team at bat and in the field.

The bench will be key role player helping all season long.

The pen will be lights out. And especially from the 7th inning on — other teams will hardly score a run all season . . . .

With that on the front pages — the Dodgers will bring in well over 3,000,000 to Dodger Stadium.

Now — fill in LF, 3B, 2B, and let it happen.

That’s the spirit Roger. If the dogs that layed down last year, can actually get up and hunt, the Dodgers just need to add some pitching and some speed. I think this is a team that needs to improve it’s defense – pitching is included in that. I am hopeful Lilly and Kuroda can both give 30+ starts and 190+ innings. If they don’t, it will be start by committee, similar to last year with similar results.

This team needs Kemp, Ethier and Loney to rise to the occasion. They also need Furcal to remains standing, and they still need a left fielder, a second baseman, and Blake to sneak into BALCO and raid the shelves. Don’t forget the masking agents Casey. We can live with a good catcher that doesn’t hit (take your pick) if the other guys in the lineup all have good years.

I wish I knew what happened to LaRoche. Fram an A prospect to DFA’d, that’s a huge fall. Is it a hole in his swing? Can’t hit a Major League breaking ball? Whatever it is, he still is young enough to fix it. Here? With Dodger hitting coaches?

As for Dunn’s fielding…. I posted some stats the other day. I guess I can do it again and hope that somebody actually accesses them. Dunn scores near 100 and knocks in 100 every year right? Take a look at his defensive stats at 1b (don’t look at LF)

Not that bad. He’s no Loney in the field, but Loney is no Dunn at the plate. Pick your poison. I’ll take the -3 runs for 1200 innings and the 100+ RBI’s any day. But, I won’t get them because Dunn ain’t coming here.

Badger, let us not forget how hard Furcal throws the ball to first base, and some of them are in the dirt. Not sure Dunn will like that. And once and a while, Blake throws a curve over to first.

Personally, I think that Furcal does not always go with the proper throw. If there is an average to slow runner, and he has the time — just get the ball there in a tight zone. If it is a close play — then zip the ball. But as I recall, Furcal likes to zip the ball most of the time.

Heck, I would sign LaRoche and if he has not progressed enough, place in at AAA for call ups.

Three spots left on the Dodger 40 man and 3 Pirates DFAd. Coincidence???

I suspect that Lazy LaRoche is out of options. There is so much differrence between an out of shape baseball player who can star in A ball and an MLB player. Maybe whomever finally lit a flame under Elbert to change his mental perspective can do so for LaRoche. Get a smaller bat, a shorter swing and be content to be a right handed Loney. Laroche is another one of those undersized HS power hitters that Logan drafted that will never be one in the MLB

Maybe Elbert can turn Duke around.

Sign LaRoche and Duke as NRI with an opt-out clause of one week before the end of spring training.

The 2011 Dodger coaching staff, even with TSA, is miles ahead of the 2010 coaching staff. The change should do wonders for the player’s perspectives, attitudes and performance. Hopefully, no longer a 0-2 count before they are allowed to swing the bat. (Torre acted like a Little League coach) Hopefully, no more you must throw all fastballs until the other team has scored twice in the first inning. Hopefully, if you pull every pitch you will actually be benched. Hopefully, if you do not look at the 3rd base coach for running instructions then you will be pulled from the game. Teach the pitchers and catchers how to play the outfield so Lopes can bench Kemp when his headcase/PMS attitude raises its ugly head.

It is time for individual responsibility and teamwork. It is time for a perspective that playing time is a priviledge and not a right. It is time for listening to the coaches and having closed door meets. The only criticism outside the locker room should be on the blogs.

Yeah, hopefully.

LaRoche is 6’1″ and 195 pounds. Mickey Mantle was 5’11″ and 185. Is LaRoche that out of shape? How can a guy hit like he did at AA and AAA and not at least hit .270 in the bigs? Find the sweet spot Andy…. I would still like to know what happened to him. In his 6 years in the minors he hit .295 with .382 OBP and .517 slg. %. And he hits .200 in the Majors? Somefin just don’t add up.

I agree that LaRoche would be a great pickup, but only for AAA to see if he can find himself. maybe he was more comfy in our system, who knows. i do know that one game vs pitt this past year, he was making some amazing plays at 3b. hell, it’s not like we have any other 3b options coming up anytime soon.

And Badger: i respect your posts as you know what you are talking about. however, u keep harping on that 200innings pitch mark. and yes, it’s a big thing, but 200ip vs. 190ip isn’t really a big difference over 162 games!! kuroda had 197 last year!! he had like 183 his first year, and 2009 was obviously the year he got hit on the head. that’s good enough! if we didnt have to pinch hit for him so many times in the 6th inning because of offense was such trash, he would have reached ur magic mark.

lilly had over 200 in 2008 and 2009, and last year, probably becuase he missed 1-2 starts during the trade time, he got to like 195 ip. That’s good enough!! 5 more innings doesn’t all the sudden make him reach the durable mark. 5ip is miniscule over 162 games pitched!!

now granted as both are over 35 yrs of age, they are more likely to get the little nagging injuries than before, but they’ve already proved they’re durable.

yes, we’d love to have a 30hr hitter here. but if a guy had 29, id consider that just fine too.

Hey Brooklyn, I knew you were your own man. I just can’t remember you and Badge disagreeing on anything. But that’s cool, if you like rolling together, roll on. The Dogs pitching is coming together and if Kemp, Ethier, Loney and Big Bad Broxton can rebound, we may get the Western crown back. 2nd base, and Left Field are still question marks and Old man Blake just needs to grow back the beard. Speaking of rebounding, I hope Ned and Frank are watching the Purple and Gold play and how they built their team. Maybe they can get some tips on how to build a bench. Blake, Brown and Barnes are the killers Bee’s for the Lakers. Right now our killer Bee’s are Badger, Brooklyn and Broxton. Peace

Watching the final game in the Arizona Fall League. No Dodgers playing so far that I can see. Bunches of Giants are.

20. lawdog says:

How can you realistically suggest our starting rotation is coming together when it’s basically the same as it was last season only sans Padilla. To say our starters were mediocre last season would be spinning it kindly. We were not even good enough to break .500 last year.

I’s suggest signing LaRoche and hire a special batting coach to work on his once sweet swing. We’ve got to have a better option than Blake at third if we hope to break .500 anytime soon.

I’ve got no problem with Dunn in left if we keep Loney. Dunn’s no worse than Manny. In left field he doesn’t have to have much range and he doesn’t need a cannon for an arm. You can hide a less than stellar defensive player in left field most of the time. If he can catch the ball while on the run and hit the cut off man without throwing a lollipop back to the infield he’ll be adequate.

So, if the Dogs sign that Japanese infielder, LaRoche and Dunn for the positions with major holes and then concentrate on getting a starter who is at least a legitimate #2 if not better, I think we’ll compete with what we have. Right now we have a #2 (Kershaw), a #3 (Bills) and two #4 pitchers in Kuroda and Lilly (who will both be geezing hard come July.) That’s just not going to make the nut.

21. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

If being 8th in all of major league baseball in Runs Allowed as Starting Pitchers is mediocre, then I guess the Dodgers were mediocre.

I just wouldn’t call it that. You must use a different type of tape measure.

The Dodgers starters were pretty good last year and if they had Lilly all year they would have been even better. Maybe 5th or 6th! That’s not mediocre!

Mark, what was missing were three things:

A) the Balance between that pitching and the hitting that stopped dead in the water.

B) Lawdog shows the other missing pieces: a true #1 starter, and we all know a catching concern. Either Martin can come back for 100 games or so with a backup or go another direction (which Ned cannot do).

C) the drive to want to win and pick each other up as a winning team. Kent show us this lack in the young guys a few seasons ago.

23. Mark Timmons says:

1. We can’t say that the Dodgers lack a true #1 anymore. In many ways Kershaw was as good and probably better than Lincecum.

2. While the Dodgers Starting Pitching was Top 10, the bullpen was Bottom Ten after being #1 in 2009.

3. After the All-Star break, the Dodgers offense was the worst in baseball, after being in the Top 8 before the break.

I know that you and Lawdog predicted a sub .500 season, but did you think that

(a) The Dodger Starting Pitching would be Top 10?
    (b) The Relief Pitching would be Bottom 10>