Logan’s Run

Logan’s Run

White Staying. Two Leaving. What’s The Connection?

Copyright -LAdodgerTalk.com

From Ken Gurnick of Dodgers.com:

Mark Weidemaier, a special assistant to general manager Ned Colletti, and Tim Hallgren, who has had the title of scouting director since 2007, are leaving the Dodgers. Weidemaier is a longtime advance scout and is believed to be seeking a similar job elsewhere. Hallgren has talked to the the Detroit Tigers about a crosschecking job, according to baseball sources. The Dodgers would not comment on either report. Weidemaier has been with the Dodgers for 12 seasons and has also worked for the White Sox, Indians, Yankees, Angels and Royals in scouting and player development roles. Although Hallgren was promoted in title to scouting director when Logan White was promoted to assistant general manager three years ago, White remained in charge of the Dodgers’ Draft, as he’s been since 2002. Hallgren came to the Dodgers in 2002 after 17 years with the Texas Rangers.

I think Weidemaier is now employed by the D-Backs and Hallgren by the Tigers.

I know that most of you yawn when you see stuff like this.  Some people probably think this is just a cost-cutting move by the Dodgers, but these guys didn’t make that much money for it to be significant.  The Dodgers could cut more costs in other areas.  For example, if they did what other teams do and just use their spring training facilities for “spring training” only, they could probably save $6 or $7 million dollars a year.  I have seen those facilities and I know what it costs to run that kind of operation with a number of employees, utilities, maintenance and the like.  The Dodgers are very heavy with staff in Arizona and Los Angeles, as well as throughout the minor-league system.

For the record, when I said that the Rats Were Abandoning Ship, THAT WAS A JOKE!  I hope you took it as such.

With Weidemaier and Hallgren leaving, I am sure some will say it was a cost-cutting move, but I think it’s more likely that when Logan White re-signed for two more years, he asked for more control.  After all, too many cooks can spoil the stew.  Tim Hallgren, who is a good baseball man, had the title of Scouting Director, but Logan White was really in charge even though these guys had input too.  Weidemaier was respected by his peers and was frequently an advance scout for the Dodgers, and I don’t want to paint them as bad guys, but I think that Logan felt that he will be judged these guys accomplishments as well, so he just advised them look for employment elsewhere.  I think they weren’t “his guys.”

I have personally felt that the Dodgers advance scouting has been deplorable for quite some time.  Logan should be able to put whoever he wants in there.  Don’t forget that the Dodgers still have the following persons in the Front Office:  De Jon Watson, Maury Wills, Jose Vizcaino,  Aaron Sele, Mark Sweeney, Rick Ragazzo, Bill Mueller, Vance Lovelace, Toney Howell, Lee Elia, and Ken Bracey.  Are any good advance scouts?  I don’t know, but I would think that losing Hallgren and Weidemaier may be a blessing.  Let’s see what Logan does.

I may be totally wrong about this, but you should consider the possibility of the above scenario.

Nothing is so constant as change.

Logan White is more powerful than ever.  Let’s see what that means for the Dodgers…

RANTS & RAVES

Ken said it and I agree.  ”These Texas Rangers feel like the 1988 Dodgers.”  But, make no mistake, this team was made and playing out of their rears long before the ownership change.  They simply were focused on winning and not ownership issues.  So, blaming the Dodgers losing season on the divorce mess is a cop-out.  The Rangers didn’t cop-out.  The leadership of Ron Washington is very under-estimated!  Joe Torre may have been a good leader of men at one time, but 2010 wasn’t the time.

14 Responses to “Logan’s Run”

Your last sentence is where I derive a lot of my hope for 2011. I had the feeling all year that Torre’s leadership was clearly lacking, and to some degree he had lost the respect of his players (maybe not all, but enough to make a difference). I wasn’t too thrilled with the appointment of Mattingly at the time it was announced, but expressed my hope that he might surprise and prove to be his own man. To date, based on things he’s said (e.g., his emphasis on mental toughness), and on the composition of his coaching staff (especially the removal of Bowa, and even Duncan), I am getting the impression that he might be just what the doctor ordered. Of course words are cheap, and actions can be mis-read, but at the very least I’m encouraged. He could still turn out to be a bust, or just the opposite.
    Regarding Logan White and the scouting staff, you might be right. But really, from the outside looking in, who really knows? For now, I’m just glad that Logan White is still on board. The rest we’ll find out over time.

By the way, it would be nice to see strong leadership from Mattingly. It would also be nice to see a bunch of self-motivated players willing themselves to better performances. We’ll have to wait to see how much growth in that area has occurred, and if the players are able to channel their disappointment and dissatisfaction with 2010 into a winning drive and determination to kick it up a few gears in 2011.

totally agree with you brooklyn.

and watching these moron giants 3 outs from the series is pissing me off even more

Go Rangers!!!

Frank spend some money and save FACE or SELL the team and receive some money.

Giants – Thank you for embarrassing the Dodger’s management and ownership! Now get swept.

Hire some better advance scouts. Hold some self motivation classes, and impose a fine system to collect funds for charity. Take people out of the game when they screw up just to show the Trust Fund no brain cry babies how the game should be played.

I don’t know what the Dodgers will do in the offseason, but I suspect that the revenue boost the playoffs and World Series provide the Giants could make them bigger spenders this winter.

Well, my watching baseball this season just ended. I hope the gints lose of course, but a team from Texas (don’t like anything Texan) also leaves me yawning. I hope they both lose.

Anyone seen Ryan Howard? The guy disappeared in the play-offs.

The gints have been to the World Series twice since we have been there. Something just wrong about that.

I see no resemblance of this years Rangers and the ’88 Dodgers. These Rangers can hit and run.

As for the changes in the scouting department… you’re right – it’s a snoozer. I thought that department was supposed to be a strength, led by the all-knowing pansophical talent evaluating wizard Logan White. Now I am being told these scout guys leaving is no big deal? OK. Whatever.

Brooklyn, be careful saying anything like the gints, or Padres or Rockies are good and could actually get better. You are setting yourself up to be skewered by those with the blue glasses on.

We don’t know what this Dodger team will look like. So much is still to be determined. And it might be weeks before we know anything, and then it might be months before we know anything for sure.

I have changed my mind and am now cheering for the SF Giants to win the World Series. After all, the Giants won the series in 1954 and the Dodgers roared back and finally won the World Series in 1955. Maybe history will repeat itself. Maybe not. Go Rangers. Maybe I will wait until game 4 to decide.

correction badger: the giants have been 3 times since we went in 88.

they lost in 89 to oakland, and in 2002 to anaheim of los angeles.

and i agree with you: i NEVER root for anything from texas (except whataburger. that’s a great burger!!). but i will be singing god bless texas for the next 2 weeks.

it sucks having so many giant fan friends.

I understand how having Giants fans for friends can suck. Same goes for me in NY, except here it’s the Mets and Yankees. Suffice to say, I was happy to see Texas win. Guess I’ll root for Texas. I see no need to have the Giants break there perfect World Series record since coming West. Best thing might be to root for a 4 game sweep from either of them, since the free agent filing period begins 5 days (used to be 15 days) after the World Series ends. So the sooner the Series ends, the quicker the off-season gets started.

Actually, there’s a good chance I won’t see any of the World Series. Cablevision is currently in a dispute regarding a raise in fees sought by News Corp. to carry FOX on their network. This has been going on for week or two, during which time there has been no FOX programming on Cablevision. No playoffs, no NFL, and if it continues, no World Series. So our former owner is sparing me from having to watch the World Series, unless they reach a settlement. Kind of hoping they don’t until after the Series.

ya man i heard about that fox thing. that blows. thank god for channelsurfing.net to watch nfl games from out of towners for cheapos like me.

ya my gf just moved to chinatown, ny. i got annoyed by all the yankee love, but i guess i can’t blame em; it’s like me and the lakers out here.

i look forward to the world series ending quickly as well (go rangers) so we can move on and sign cliff lee, carl crawford, trade for prince fielder, and such……

You’re right Bobby. I forgot about the earthquake sweep.

Hopefully the gints can continue their losing ways in World Series competition. I can’t believe they are there. According to the final power rankings, they are like the 5th or 6th best team in MLB. I can’t root for anything Texas, so, I think I’ll just sit this one out. I have lots to do in the coming month. Including following the Dodger Divorce – and that could take us into next year.

And, of course, football season is in full swing and basketball season starts this week. The Lakers and Pac 10 football should keep me plenty entertained for months.

11. Jaydavis says:

I moved to Sf in May, thinking The dodgers would not make the playoffs.
    who knew! vic the brick would
    Say.
    I hate the dodgers and fans. Off to the ws

12. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

The resemblance is that these guys are a TEAM and a bunch of guys who like each other and pick each other up. They have some stars, but lots of role players who play their roles.

Come to think of it, so do the Giants. I rooted for the Giants last night, but now I’m a Texan!

13. DodgerFan says:

Just so you know…advance scouting has nothing to do with Logan White’s role with the Dodgers. White runs only the amateur scouting side of the business. Advance scouts work/report directly to the field manager and his coaching staff.