Posted on 16 October 2010.
The announcement was barely out when the McCourt bashers started
“He doesn’t have the velocity he used to.”
“He’s a flyball pitcher and that worries me.”
“He gives up too many homeruns.”
“Why did they sign him?” They should have saved their money and signed Cliff Lee.”
Of course, I have to remember that these same people were saying that the Dodgers wouldn’t spend any money this winter and this is just their way of throwing out a smokescreen to obfuscate their false prophecies. Blah, Blah, Blah – maybe this will shut them up for a day or two. They weary me. When your main existence in life is to be a critic, you are never wrong. It really makes me sick!
So now they will say “McCourt shouldn’t have signed Lilly, he should have gotten two draft picks” (never mind Lilly might have accepted arbitration, but they will say “no he wouldn’t” because they are smarter than everyone else and can forsee the future.)
And, if he hadn’t signed him, they would say “see, I told you he wouldn’t spend the money.” McCourt critics are never wrong (in their own minds) and NO, I don’t think you are A-Holes, I just think you are delusional and so blinded by hatred of McCourt that you won’t see the truth. ”There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see!”
Here are the facts:
- Ted Lilly was 7-4 with a 3.52 ERA as a Dodger.
- He was a Type A Free Agent.
- Ted is 54-39 with a 3.80 ERA in 5 NL seasons.
- He was one of the top free agent pitchers this year – not the best – but near the top of the class.
- Ted Lilly is a #3 or #4 Starter. Right now he’s the Dodgers #3, but that will likely change.
- The McCourt bashers were predicting a non-eventful offseason, the Dodgers payroll would go lower, and they wouldn’t spend and blah, blah, blah.
Well Bashers, you were wrong.
Ted Lilly is a nice middle or back of the rotation starter. The Dodgers need two more, but he is a solid piece. I just hope they didn’t overpay.
Oh, and many of you said that NO FREE AGENTS would want to sign with the Dodgers AND THEN THE DODGERS SIGN THE FIRST ONE!
Just like I predicted earlier this week.
Watch and Learn!