Spin It Bashers!

Spin It Bashers!
The announcement was barely out when the McCourt bashers started:
“He doesn’t have the velocity he used to.”

“He’s a flyball pitcher and that worries me.”

“He gives up too many homeruns.”

“Why did they sign him?”  They should have saved their money and signed Cliff Lee.”
Of course, I have to remember that these same people were saying that the Dodgers wouldn’t spend any money this winter and this is just their way of throwing out a smokescreen to obfuscate their false prophecies.  Blah, Blah, Blah – maybe this will shut them up for a day or two.  They weary me.  When your main existence in life is to be a critic, you are never wrong.  It really makes me sick!
So now they will say “McCourt shouldn’t have signed Lilly, he should have gotten two draft picks” (never mind Lilly might have accepted arbitration, but they will say “no he wouldn’t” because they are smarter than everyone else and can forsee the future.)
And, if he hadn’t signed him, they would say “see, I told you he wouldn’t spend the money.”  McCourt critics are never wrong (in their own minds) and NO, I don’t think you are A-Holes, I just think you are delusional and so blinded by hatred of McCourt that you won’t see the truth.  ”There are none so blind as those who WILL NOT see!”
Here are the facts:
  • Ted Lilly was 7-4 with a 3.52 ERA as a Dodger.
  • He was a Type A Free Agent.
  • Ted is 54-39 with a 3.80 ERA in 5 NL seasons.
  • He was one of the top free agent pitchers this year – not the best – but near the top of the class.
  • Ted Lilly is a #3 or #4 Starter.  Right now he’s the Dodgers #3, but that will likely change.
  • The McCourt bashers were predicting a non-eventful offseason, the Dodgers payroll would go lower, and they wouldn’t spend and blah, blah, blah.

Well Bashers, you were wrong.

Ted Lilly is a nice middle or back of the rotation starter.  The Dodgers need two more, but he is a solid piece.  I just hope they didn’t overpay.

Oh, and many of you said that NO FREE AGENTS would want to sign with the Dodgers AND THEN THE DODGERS SIGN THE FIRST ONE!

Just like I predicted earlier this week.

Watch and Learn!

21 Responses to “Spin It Bashers!”

1. love it Mark!!! NO matter what the price, it is great news, because it sends a message that McCourt will spend this offseason.

2. Nellie says:

I agree it’s good news. I wouldn’t call it great.

You two are acting like the Dodgers just signed Cliff Lee.

Lilly might give the Dodgers what he gave the league this year – 193 IP with a won loss record around .500. Depends on the team the Dodgers put on the field. His career ERA is a little over 4 and I would be happy with that as he turns 35.

One down. Now, if McCorpuscle goes out and finds a left fielder, a third baseman that can actually hit, a second baseman, a catcher, and two more starters…. then maybe you two can keep crowing.

But really, calm down. It’s a 35 year old #4 pitcher.

And Mark – “It really makes me sick!” Sick with an exclamation point? Come on man, this is baseball. You are a grown man, don’t take this crap so seriously. Sick? Take a break and give yourself a colonic.

3. The names change, but not the pessimism. Fine with me.
    Next is a deal for a big bat.
    Question-are you surprised that the Dodgers signed Lilly? Shocked may be the better term.
    This is great news in my eyes. Lilly is solid…check his number with LAD-7 wins, 3.52 ERA, WHIP under 1 and K/9 at 9. Very good numbers for our 3rd SP.
    Who is the big bat LAD is targeting? Fielder? AGonz?

4. Mark-any plans to interview Logan White/Dejon Watson again this year? last year’s interview was great.

Mark,

I voiced concern over Lilly’s flyball tendency and the number of HRs he serves up. And I also said I wasn’t thrilled with the deal, but would wait to see what the terms were. If they overpaid, it’s probably a bad move. If not, it fills a spot, and hopefully Lilly doesn’t regress.

However, in my case, I think “delusional” would be delusional. And perhaps you weren’t even thinking of me. The concerns I voiced about Lilly are concerns I’ve posted in the past. So it should be no surprise to anyone that this is a deal that I’m not willing to embrace, although it could turn out OK if Lilly gives us good work from the middle to the back-end of the rotation.

Lilly is a California guy, so I’m guessing that he feels comfortable with the Dodgers. Who knows, maybe he even gave them a home team discount. And maybe he’s just not a greedy guy, and having already made more money than he could ever come close to spending, he was just happy to stay home for a deal that I’m guessing is in the $20-25 million range. I wouldn’t be surprised if the deal contains incentives that will allow him to make significantly more if he reaches them.

I’m no McCourt lover, and would prefer a more deep pocketed owner. But maybe some of his excesses over the past several years are largely Jamie inspired. And perhaps when a decision is reached by the judge, or a settlement is arrived at, he will end up the sole owner of the Dodgers. And minus Jamie he might actually focus on the long term success and stability of the team. As I’ve mentioned before, I believe that as he gets closer to the establishment of his two TV networks in 2014 he will be more likely to spend than he has up till now. And if he’s relying on strong sponsorship money to make those networks hugely profitable, then he probably knows that’s more likely if he puts a winning team on the field.

6. Jon Weisman says:

Was anyone actually arguing that the Dodgers would sign no one and enter 2011 with two major-league starting pitchers?

Well of course not! And, I know you are just joking. Maybe others here don’t, but quite obviously every team needs 5 starters. Heck, last year we needed 10.

The question has always been, and remains, how solvent is the L.A. Dodger ownership? Nobody knows. It’s the uncertainty that has those of us who question McCourt. Well, that and the glaring fact that the McCourt’s have used the Dodgers as their family piggy bank for excess living.

Please read Brooklyn’s lucid post very carefully. He does an excellent job of explaining why we “negative nellies” feel the way we do. Everywhere you look for the last year you see evidence of the Dodgers uncertainty when it comes to finances. As soon as it all shakes down, we will know more. Until then, let Mark and little ray praise McCourt. I’ll just remain in my wait and see mode.

And also in the mean time, we nellies will need to continue to take the moron arrows aimed at all those who don’t agree with Mark.

Jon,

Not that I can recall.

8. T says:

Not every signing is going to be a huge one. Lilly did well with LA. The deal has its risks but I like it. I think he can be a solid 3 for this team next year and it fills a position of need.

Good lord Mark. Who’s bitching bout Lilly?!!!

I for one am very happy he’s back. As a #3, he’s very solid. As a #4, he’d be fantastic!! If by God’s good grace he’s our #5? Then holy lord this is gona be a good year!!

He’s not Cliff Lee, but he’s very solid and necessary for us to fill out our staff.

Oh, and F the giants. Go phillies

Balance the budget. Who gets DFA’d to pay for Lilly’s contract? Martin for sure.

Agreed. There will have to be some juggling and it has just begun.

I think this was a positive move aimed at the October 29th deadline. I have to say – well played Frankie. What’s your next move?

I noticed that after I replied to Jon Weisman’s post that posts which came afterward appeared before mine. And then I took another look at the time of several posts, and noticed that in some cases later posts were appearing in front of earlier ones. Seems to me that that disrupts the orderly flow of ideas, and can even make some posts look out of place.

This is not a criticism, just an observation. Maybe there’s a technical reason behind this of which I am unaware.

12. Mark Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

If you hit “reply” on an earlier post, you will be under that post, not at the end. I can see advantages and disadvantages, but with the existing software, it is what it is.

It occurs to me that the signing of Lilly should really come as no surprise, and that the jury should remain out on Dodger spending at this time.

1. We don’t know the details of the deal, and consequently, its cost.

2. Keep in mind that a lot of money has come off the books, and more is scheduled to follow over the next several years. I believe $30 – $40 million is coming off this year. For example, I believe Kuroda made something like $15.4 million in 2010. I think even Nomar was getting deferred money this past year, and is now off the books permanently. I believe the same is true for Jason Schmidt, although I think he might still have some money coming to him in 2011. Not sure. Juan Pierre probably has another year or two of payments coming from the Dodgers, and then he will disappear from the payroll. Manny and Andruw Jones also have deferred payments that stretch out, I believe thru 2013.

3. If Russell Martin is non-tendered, then even more comes off the books. Same goes for Theriot.

So for now I still don’t have a clue as to what McCourt is planning on spending in 2011, and beyond that. And as I’ve pointed out ad nauseaum, I also believe that he will be more likely to spend as the 2014 kick-off of Dodger TV gets closer.

I don’t track the numbers that carefully, but I suspect that the Dodger payroll right now, even with Lilly, sits below what it was last year. That being said, I don’t know what’s being planned with regard to free agents, and also with the issue of locking up Kershaw, Billingsley, and probably others for the long term. For now I’m in wait and see mode.

Brooklyn – I am one of the guys who hit reply as a direct response to something someone said. Now that you know how it works, it should be easier for you to follow.

Here is what I have been using to check payroll. It has a legend below which makes it easier to read. I find the TrueBlueLA site to be reliable:

So, yeah, there is some money coming off the books, but as you will see the cost of our younger “studs” is going up. I think Ken’s guess that Martin will be DFA’d is a logical one. Something has to give. It is very clear to me that this Lilly move is one aimed at the season ticket holders and was obviously done now to beat the October 29th deadline. Having said that, depending on the value of this contract, I think I am going to be surprised that Lilly didn’t test FA. I got a feeling he left a lot of money on the table.

It will be very interesting to see what the next play is.

Mark,

I understand, and then again, I don’t understand. I understand why I am below Weisman, because I replied to his earlier post. However, I noticed that the post times of other replies to Weisman’s comments, although they appeared below his, were above mine, even though they posted later (which, in effect, is like replying to my post).

But really, you’re correct that it is what it is, and I absolutely understand that it’s not all that important. I was just curious, even though it did kill the cat.

16. Gonzo says:

Signing Lilly was good because it addresses a huge need for us. Two more spots to go. Hopefully, like it was mentioned before Lilly will be our 4th starter.

Should this be our biggest signing of the off seasson, I hope not, but like the old Badger I too will wait and see.

17. lawdog says:

Okay, how much are we paying this 35 year old “crafty” left hander who throws about as hard as Ely? We need facts before we can respond to a post like this.

And don’t worry Brooklyn, I’m the one Mover has called a liar and “delusional” although he has yet to call me an “asshole’ outright–(although his latest post comes about as close as you can to saying so without using the specific word.)