Scrambled Eggs Made Broxton Over Easy?

Scrambled Eggs Made Broxton Over Easy?

According to Dylan Hernandez of The LA Times, “the turning point for Jon Broxton this season was on June 27, when he threw 48 pitches in blowing a four-run lead at home

Jon Broxton's Brains?

against the New York Yankees.   Broxton recorded the last four outs of a 9-4 victory the previous day.  Broxton went into that June 27 game with a 0.83 earned-run average. His ERA in 31 games since: 7.58.”

Then Hernandez went on to say that “Joe  Torre said he believed Broxton’s issues were psychological and that his decline had nothing to do with his usage in the Yankees series. Torre added that at some point, Broxton would have to do some soul-searching if he intended to regain his form. “There are some scrambled eggs up there,” Torre said, referring to Broxton’s head.”

While I am not a Joe Torre fan, he probably hit the nail right on the head.  J-Brox certainly was not “sunny-side-up” the last part of the season.  He wasn’t just “fried.”  he was “scrambled” and the game was “over easy.”

For the record, I recognize Jon’s immense talent as much as I do his immense waist.  It has been suggested that he loose weight and get into better shape.  There’s a pitcher in the AL named CC, who’s pretty good and is a fat boy like J-Brox.  That may just be his body type.  I mean, if he can get svelte, then by all means he should do so, but as Joe Torre said, Brox is going to have to de-scramble his eggs.

Pro athletes often have fragile psyches, and the line between success and failure is often thin.  Sometimes they lose control of a certain aspect of their game almost overnight.  The list is long and includes, Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblach, Steve Blass, Rick Ankiel and many others.  Most never recovered.  I believe Jon Broxton’s are completely mental.  In an effort not to be wrong, some fans defend him and blame it on Torre in order that they will not be wrong.  They say that Torre mishandles pitchers and it’s all his fault.

Yeah, Dusty Baker has that same bad rapp, and yet after this season he will have won 4 Manager of the Year Awards.  Joe Torre managed the greatest closer in the game for most of his carrer and it sure didn’t hurt him.

I don’t have time to post the videos, but look at a video of   Broxton and he appears reluctant to throw the pitch.  I am not talking about looking into his eyes – I am talking about observing his whole Persona.  Then look at a video of Kenley Jansen.

The Body Language,

The Eyes,

The Demeanor.

At age 22, I learned how to walk through Harlem or the Bowery and not be hassled.  I learned how to walk with purpose.  I learned how to make my body language say “don’t mess with me.”  If you have to ask how I can do that, you will never understand it.  Being 6′ 4″ and 250 pounds didn’t hurt, but it not just size that matters in cases like that.  It’s the eyes, the persona, the body language, the demeanor!   Jon Broxton needs to learn how to comport himself like that.

Al Hrabosky was 5′ 11″ and 185, but he looked bigger than 6′ 4″ 295 pound Jon Broxton.  Jon Broxton doesn’t pitch with that intimidating presence of a pitcher like the Mad Hungarian.  Watch Kenley Jansen – he throws a pitch, gets the ball back and can’t wait to throw it again.  Broxton takes his time and it is painful to watch.  So many times, it looks to me like Brox is in pain just thinking about throwing the next pitch.

I doubt that there is much of a market for Brox, so all I can hope for is that Someone…. Anyone, can reach him. In fact I’ll root for that.  I am just not very confident!

Maybe a new pitching coach is just the ticket!

I can walk through Harlem (or Gary, Indiana) and not get mugged.  I believe Kenley Jansen has that same persona.  Jon Broxton?  I’d pick the other side of the street.

Is is fixable?

I’ll give you a “definite maybe.”

13 Responses to “Scrambled Eggs Made Broxton Over Easy?”

Joe Torre is the one whose brain is scrambled.

Torre threw Broxton on the 23rd, 24th, 26th and 27th of June – I just checked Gameday and according to those records Broxton threw 99 pitches in those 5 days with 48 on the 27th. Then the following week Broxton pitched on the 3rd, the 4th the 6th the 8th and the 9th of July.

Broxton was throwing 99 mph and hitting his spots in the first half. He has been off the second half. Gee, I wonder why?

Torre is an idiot.

i’d rather keep him and let him work things out then just selling super low. nobody will take his $7 mil deal, and it’s nor worth paying him to leave, like we did pierre, andruw, etc.

3. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

You guys above are all correct in various ways.

Broxton is still learning to pitch. But the overuse was wrong of Joe’s part.

He needs a new pitching coach. He needs to focus. He needs to add another pitch to go with the fastball and breaking ball.

He needs to lose some weight and do the right exercises.

He will be a winner.

I think there would be more than one team that would take on his salary, especially if it’s done the Dodger way and we pick up part of it. As long as Broxton didn’t blow a seal when Joe was overusing him, there are a plethora of pitching coaches that would love to get their hands on him.

“To throw him under the bus and get two minor leaguers or another team’s reject problem — just to save some salary is the wrong way to go.”

Under normal circumstances, I agree with you. The Dodgers are clearly not operating under normal circumstances.

5. lawdog says:

Broxton needs to regain his velocity and control of the fatball. He needs to learn how to throw a slider that doewsn’t hang 50% of the time, and he’d be devastating if he learned how to throw a splitter or change up. Of course, that assumes he regains his velocity over the winter.

Torre was brain dead this season and he over used Broxton. You don’t lose 57 mph on your heater if your arm isn’t tired and hasn’t been damaged. It’s almost like Torre wanted broxton to fail. Either that or he figured he could pitch Broxton two innings every night because Rivera could do that. He forgets Rivera throws nothing but cutters that come in in the low 90s.

If Broxton did the same he probably could have pitched the innings demanded of him by Torre without his arm falling off, but that’s not his style. He probably should only pitch one inning every other day. Most true closers never pitch more than one inning. Torre is a pitcher-killer. :shock:

6. lawdog says:

That’s 5-7 mph on the fastball. Not 57 mph on the fatball. Sheesh!

Mark, when I read those Torre comments the other day I just knew you would latch onto them. And yes, I do believe that Broxton has developed psychological problems, just like anyone else in his situation would. But those psychological problems are the RESULT of his diminished success, NOT THE CAUSE. It’s perfectly logical that anyone who has begun to lose the edge with his stuff would begin to develop doubts. Even a tough guy like you would.

Glad to know that you can walk confidently through Harlem, the Bowery and Gary IN and not be hassled or mugged. Well, as a matter of fact I’m not a very big, or imposing personality, but somehow, during my teaching career, I survived years of walking around Brownsville in Brooklyn, NY visiting the homes of my students in the multitude of projects and tenements in the area. Got to know the area so well, I could ask kids in my class to give me the number of their building and I would tell them what street it was on. Still know some people in that and similar areas, and still visit them on occasion.

I have suggested that Broxton get into better physical condition. I don’t know if that’s the answer (at best it’s probably only part of the answer), but it’s not likely to hurt. As for C.C. Sabathia, maybe his weight will never catch up to him, and then again, maybe it will. And even if Torre were to entertain the thought that his overuse of Broxton may have had something to do with his problems, do you really think he would admit it publically?

And pencil me in as pretty much agreeing with all the replies above.

8. Anonymous says:

The difference between CC and Broxton is simple, CC KNOWS how to pitch!!! He has a better repertoire than our fatboy. I could live with Broxtons weight, b ut everyone in the stadium knows what the next pitch will be. Not the case with CC who wanted to come to LA at one point and time….oh well..

9. Gonzo says:

That’s my post above

Until Broxton lost the edge on his slider he’s become a lot more predictable. The return of that slider and/or another offspeed pitch will change the equation.

Gonzo I think your point is well made, but I would like to add some more differences between Sabathia and Broxton:

Sabathia is a 6’7″ left hander who throws three nasty pitches all for strikes – a 95 mph fastball he can take into the 8th with him, a wicked slider and a change-up. If Broxton could do all of that, he would be unhittable, especially for one inning.

12. Doug says:

There’s nothing wrong with Broxton that a little ‘roid-rage wouldn’t fix. It worked for Gagne. Paul Simon asked the question, but I’ll paraphrase for Jon, “You’re soft in the middle. Why are you so soft in the middle when the rest of your life is so hard?”

13. lawdog says:

Broxton’s slider has always been a crappy pitch for him. Maybe one in four will actually have good snap. The rest of them hang and tend to roll right into the heart of the strike zone–down the middle between the waist and knees.

He needs to either perfect the slider or learn how to throw a splitter. I’m not going to suggest a change up for him. If he can’t master a simple slider he’ll never be able to trow a circle change. It’s difficult. But he needs just one good offs speed pitch to set up his fastball. Most closers only have two pitches. Give him three pitches and he’ll start getting beat by throwing up his worst pitch in a critical situation because he wasn’t able to retire the batter on his other two “better” pitches.