No Bull!

No Bull!

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have come to the conclusion that the best way for the Dodgers to build a winning team is to fill

No Bull

some key spots with Free Agents and Trades and then rely on the farm for a position or two.  You can’t have a perfect team and so you try and build it the best you can without filling every hole.  At some point, you have to rely on internal progress by your farm players.

Here’s your 2011 Dodgers Lineup:

1. Furcal  SS
  2. Robinson  CF
  3. Kemp  RF
  4. Ethier  LF
  5. Beltre 3B
  6. Dunn  1B
  7. Barajas  C
  8. DeJesus  2B

Rotation:

1. Kershaw
  2. Greinke
  3. Billingsley
  4. Lilly
  5. Ely (Haeger, DeLaRosa, Monasterios, et al)

The bench is full of youngsters:  Hu, Paul and Ellis with old-pros Reed Johnson and Jamey Carroll.

The pen is composed of Troncoso, Elbert, Leach, Saito, Kuo, Belisario and Jansen.

Cot’s Contracts had the Dodgers at $102,000,000 last year, so this is only $9 mil more (Ned said it would be more).  The deferred money includes $3,000,000 for Casey Blake to go away, and assumes that the Dodgers can trade Loney and Broxton and prospects to get Greinke.  Loney and Brox don’t end up in KC.  Beltre and Dunn are signed to 5 year deal with back-loaded contracts.

Here’s the payroll breakdown:

22 Dunn $10,000,000
23 Robinson $405,000
24 Paul $405,000
25 Johnson $1,000,000
Deferred $20,000,000
TOTAL PAYROLL $111,840,000

41 Responses to “No Bull!”

1. Mark Timmons says:

You could plug in Werth instead of Dunn and put him in LF with Ethier at 1B…

2. Vince says:

Please stop arguing with everyone. It makes you look very small and does not allow your work to speak for itself. I am saddened that you write about the dodgers. I put you in the category of TJ Simers and Bill Platexstgske. We get it, you disagree with reactionary posters.

Please let your work speak for itself and don’t go down to their level. Have some class. Have some self respect. You sicken me with your pettiness and “troll feeding.”

You think you are fighting against those lowering the level of the debate, but that is what YOU are doing. Get a grip. I’m gonna stop reading your blog. I used to read it for a laugh. It is no longer funny.

Now you can take your ball and go home.

3. Badgerer says:

Atta boy Vince.

You like to read? Good, here is some reading material for you, from a National Publication:

“It was that kind of year for the Dodgers. They weren’t much to look at, but lawyers loved ‘em.”

Loved that part.

It’s getting attention everywhere, but not to worry. Mark says payroll will be up to $120M next year. And Kemp, Loney, Ethier will have 100 rbi’s. And Kershaw, Bills and Lilly will all win at least 18. Martin is gone, we sign Beltre, Greinke and Dunn and make a mid season move for the pitcher we need. Dodgers win 98 and take the division.

You gotta think positive. You gotta believe.

4. lawdog says:

Fo God’s sake Mark! It’s the off season. Can’t we have a little fun with our monikers? If I said things about you that you’ve said about me, without any real cause mind you, you’d ban me for sure. Why don’t you try a little less fascism and make this experience a fun thing, like it use to be, for all of us.

5. lawdog says:

To quote our fearless leader from his post yesterday:

“Shaikin, Dilbeck, Simers and Plaschke are all delusional.”

WOW!!!! I had no idea thatI was in such good company. Are they also liars, oh great one? Methinks Mark may be engaged in what Freud called “projection.” Methinks our fearless leader doth protest too much! :shock:

6. Mark Timmons says:

Vince said,

Please stop arguing with everyone. It makes you look very small and does not allow your work to speak for itself. Just so I understand, when someone says something crazy, I am supposed to sit down and sing Kumbaya with them?

I am saddened that you write about the dodgers. You don’t like the Dodgers? Your loss, but I can’t argue with that.

I put you in the category of TJ Simers and Bill Platexstgske. I get it, I’m an idiot!

We get it, you disagree with reactionary posters. I agree.

Please let your work speak for itself and don’t go down to their level. What I say is my work and it speaks!

Have some class. Have some self respect. Gee, I thought I did. Maybe I should chant some affirmations. Yeah, that’s the ticket.

You sicken me with your pettiness and “troll feeding.” Well, all I can say is if I get sick eating at a restaurant, I don’t go back. Are you saying you are a troll?

You think you are fighting against those lowering the level of the debate, but that is what YOU are doing. Get a grip. What are you doing?

I’m gonna stop reading your blog. Hey, we agree on something! Brilliant deduction. You are very adept at perceiving the obvious in how long of a time period?

I used to read it for a laugh. It is no longer funny. You are making the right decision. We are all better for it.

Now you can take your ball and go home. Uh, Vince… I’m keeping the ball, you are the one going home. Remember?

• Vince says:

I tried. If you wanna argue with me point by point, that is fine. I’m not here to argue. I’m just giving you the reason I will not be reading your blog anymore. Maybe you should TRY to not alienate and antagonize your readers. If you don’t try then you deserve the company you keep. I was an average reader and you have alienated me. Now you are left with the trolls. Im beginning to think that you deserve each other.

I still wish you GOOD LUCK. But I also must say “GOOOD BYE.” and good riddance.

7. lawdog says:

Why do you have to slam people who don’t agree with what you write Mark? I don’ get it. Early on, I assumed it was just tongue in cheeck, but when your vitriolic reactions became the rule and not the exception to things I’d write I realized you mean the anger behind your words.

Frankly, I don’t care whether you ban me or not at this point and that’s a really sad thing to say considering all the years we’ve exchanged ideas here and all the time I donated to you doing the Minor League report for several months in 2009 to free you up to do other things. I expected a free exchange of ideas as something we’d all appreciate and respect but it’s deteriorated to a “agree with me or SHADDUP YER YAP” kind of forum. And it gets very tiring.

Very tiring.

8. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

I didn’t say they were liars. The word I used was delusional (it’s spelled differently – d-e-l-u-s-i-o-n-a-l verses l-i-a-r, but they are fish hacks so they may be liars as well. I, for one was once delusional, but it was only because I was tricked into it. Now I am no longer delusional because my invisible friends keep me straight.

However, you may or may not be delusional, but if you say I called you a liar, you are one.

Oh, and I haven’t banned you and don’t plan on it.

9. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

As Jim Rome says “Have a take and do not suck!”

10. lawdog says:

You called me a liar, among other despicable things, in the article you wrote that I interpreted as calling me an asshole a ways back. If you’re going to use that language to describe us, you should at least remember doing it. The words i think you used were “speakers of falsehoods.” I guess that’s not calling me a “liar” per se, but what’s the frickin’ difference?

11. lawdog says:

“Everyone is free to disagree with me all they want, but have some supporting facts and don’t attack me. Shoot the idea but don’t shoot the deliverer, but I will stand up and defend my position.”

Apply this principle to yourself as well and we’ll have no more problems Mark. What’s good for the goose should be good for the gander, don’t you think?

12. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

You don’t disagree like that. You come back with outrageous accusations many of which have no base in fact. Under the “Spilling My Guts” post Bobby disagreed with me and said:

< blockquote>1) chili davis and matt herges coming in as coaches is NOT big news, and none of us on this board are gona jump up and down over it. this is nothing to print on the front pages of the sports section. it’s not good news; its not bad news. its barely news.

2) adrian beltre is the prodigal son?! he had 1 good year, and bounced. we hear different stories as to why he left, but he left after his good year. and you really think adrian beltre will sell tickets?!! PLUS we pay him 15 mil a year for 4 yrs?!!! no thank you. he can go sucker somebody else into giving him a multi-year deal, and being a solid/good player who’s not worth his contract, until the last year of that contract.

3) actually not a bad idea of platooning blake/loney IF we had a real 3b.

4) $100 mil payroll means nothing if 25% of that is going to deferred payments for past guys.

I am fine with disagreement and I don’t slam people like Bobby, but when you come back with something like this:

Saito wouldn’t come back to the Dodgers anymore than Jason Werth would after we unceremoniously showed them both the door a few years back and McGoo would probably want them to defer 95% of the deal until 2020.. We need to keep the discussion real. We can fantasize about trading all our scrubs for stars or signing players that will command $20 million per year, but that ain’t real, particularly the expensive FA part with McGoo at the helm.

This team will remain SOSAD until McGoo is run out of town on a rail after first being tarred and feathered.

What do you expect? That is outrageous stuff. You are dead wrong and you will see…

13. Mark Timmons says:

Vince,

We have thousands of readers.

We have about a hundred posters.

We have about 5 people who like to argue. 6 with you but you are gone so it’s back to 5.

You are the one who said good riddance, not me.

By the way, that term is from Shakespeare’s Troilus and Cressida, 1606:

THERSITES:I will see you hanged, like clotpoles, ere I come any more to your tents: I will keep where there is wit stirring and leave the faction of fools.

PATROCLUS: A good riddance.

Good Luck! Vote with your feet (or mouse)!

14. lawdog says:

So you think Saito and Werth would come back and sign wit the team that cut them both unceremoniously a few years back?

Well I guess weill see if they sign with us, but I would expect it only if there were no other offers in the same ballpark as ours.

With McGoo’s financial problems and the fact he backloads every deal, I’d expect that to happen when pig fly.

You know it won’t happen and i backed what I said with facts, just as I’m doing right now in this post. You just don’t like my facts so you call me “delusional” and a stater of “falsehoods”.

15. Vince says:

You made a SECOND DRAFT of your point by point argument of my OPINION? Funny stuff.

Is this the final draft, or are there more revisions to come? Really. Let me know when I can expect to see the final product. I would like to move on with my life free of DodgerTalk. (isn’t that the name of the call in show on AM710 after each game. Oh Wait, thats Dodger Talk not LA Dodger Talk.) You clearly are original.

For someone who spends so much time arguing, you think you would be better at it.

Please take your time responding to this post. Make a written draft first. Then a rough Draft. Go through it with a highlighter and red pen. Make a second draft. Show it to a friend. (if you have one) Put the finishing touches on it. Then press enter.

“When you see the Invincible, you can’t, it’s Impossible.”

16. Vince says:

BUSTED! Copy and Paste Laziness.

I have google too.

You are letting this one slip away, Mark.

17. Vince says:

Did you include yourself in that company of 5 people that like to argue?

Or is it back up to 6?

18. Mark Timmons says:

Vince,

1. I have no clue what you mean by “second draft.”

2. So what’s the problem with posting where “good riddance” came from? Should I have repackaged it somehow? You are a piece of work.

3. I don’t need to debate my debating skills with someone like you who has no credibility – You have said you were leaving several times, but you keep coming back and still have absolutely nothing to say.

4. On the other hand, why don’t you stay? It makes me feel smarter.

• Vince says:

1. I read am unrevised post earlier of the post where you debate my opinion point by point. It was posted in your own comments section. Then it was revised and added to. It shows weak debating skills when you can’t get it right the first time.

2. You simply googled the origin of good riddance and tried to pass it off as your own personal knowledge of Shakespeare. It was the first result on google. You copied and pasted directly from the provided link. Intellectual dishonesty. I find that highly offensive and just plain WEAK. (If you really are a Shakespearean scholar YOU WIN that round)

3. I said I would leave if you would let me know if you’re done revising the post I mentioned. I would like the closure of reading the final draft because I’m SURE it will be devastating to me and my fragile ego. I really do need to be taken down a peg.

4. Thanks for the invitation. If you would like me to continue following your blog and pointing out your intellectual dishonesty, I just might think about it.

Keep up the Good Work Josh and Ken…I mean Mark at Dodger Talk…I mean LA Dodger Talk.

19. Geez, Vince…. for someone who claims he won’t read the site anymore you sure are checking quite often to leave more posts.

“I’ll never read your site again!”

1 hour later…
    “OK this time I’m serious, I’m done on here!”

10 minutes later…
    “No really guys I’m serious, I mean it, I won’t ever post here again!”

5 minutes later…
    “Guys I’m not kidding around this time, really I mean it, I swear I won’t ever come back!”

1 minute later…
    “OK that’s it! I refuse to ever post here ever again! I’ve had it!”

20. Vince says:

I disagree with your timeline Aaron.
    This one was 5 minutes, though.

21. Mark Timmons says:

Vince,

You said:

“I read am unrevised post earlier of the post where you debate my opinion point by point. It was posted in your own comments section. Then it was revised and added to. It shows weak debating skills when you can’t get it right the first time.”

You are indeed right. It was posted because with WordPress I have to post a comment before I can go back and EDIT it to add italic and bold. No other way to do it except to save it and then edit it afterward. Obviously, I can’t call you a moron on that, just ignorant! I NEVER REVISED THE POST – ASK ANY OF THE OTHER BLOGGERS HERE AND THEY WILL TELL YOU THAT’S THE WAY THE SOFTWARE WORKS! Maybe you judge others by your own proclivity to do such things.

Check out when Josh and Ken started their show (which I have been on BTW) and check out when this blog started. We started before they did, but I’m am done responding.

I think I hear your mother calling you for dinner. You are obviously a child or a small minded petty person and with those kind of people I am indeed wasting my time.

22. Mark Timmons says:

It did it on that one too. Save it, made it bold and posted it again.

Bye, little man.

23. Vince says:

Just ban me then if I’m wasting your time. Maybe you should google it, if you don’t know how.

You can argue all day long without me. Im sure you will.
    Adrian Beltre for el Presidente.

24. Vincent says:

25. Vinny says:

26. Vincenzo says:

Please ban me. I am blatantly violating your your one name/moniker posting policyy.

27. Vincenzo says:

Please ban me. I am blatantly violating your your one name/moniker posting policy..

VinVinceVinny, take a pill man. You sound like your head is about to explode. It’s just a blog.

How come we are all writing with a slant now?

Are the McCheeseballs divorced yet? I could use some good news.

29. Vince says:

Just having some fun.

I wanted to read about 6 different ways to build a 100 loss team from LA Dodger Talk in peace. But it became about vendetta like in Romeo and Juliet. Like backstabbing like in Julius Ceasar. Like the destruction of family bonds like in King Lear…

What ‘s that mom? Dinner is ready? I gotta go.

30. Vince says:

Like I don’t like like that.

Oh. OK.

Dinner. I had cheese enchilada with rice and steamed cauliflower. That has nothing to do with anything, but, thought I would share it with you.

I think 100 loss team is possible, but it would take a lot of things going wrong to get there. Like, McPucker maintaining owership. If he is around for two more years, I can see us sliding further under .500. Kershaw, Ethier and Bills leave, Kemp is traded for some underachieving prospects, Lilly pulls a Schmidt, Loney takes even more quaaludes and sleeps until 2013, Blake is re-signed and stays at third until he is in his mid 40′s…. things like that.

Now I am not saying that is what will happen, so please don’t call me a Negative Nellie, I am just sayin’ 100 losses is a reasonable expectation with a McScrewed owned team.

32. lawdog says:

If McGoo is willing to sign Dunn to play left, find a real 3rd baseman and another quality starting pitcher we could turn this around next year even with Furcal going further down with advancing age together with his aching back down and no real quality second baseman.

But don’t hold your breath. He’ll have to find high priced players who’s teams want to shed salary in order to make the nut as he has very little in the farm system to offer as trade material. And the last thing McGoo want to do is add significant payroll as to do so would definitely cut into his high flying life style.

There I go, delusional and lying again, eh? The observations I just made here should be obviously true to anyone who’s followed the team and it’s screwed up owners all season.

33. lawdog says:

Feliz got the last strike tonight (on A-Rod no less), with a wicked slider (the first pitch other than a heater traveling from 97-99 mph all night.) Damn! If Broxton could break off a slider like that when he needed it, he’d be gold too.

The ginger ale is flowing tonight in Arlington. A great gesture for the rest of the team since they are giving up the bubbly champaign to keep Josh Hamilton squared away. Hamilton is a recovering alcoholic.

34. Peter O'Meara says:

This is a completely unrealistic roster. To build a team like this you need MONEY. The Dodgers are guaranteed a little bump in the payroll, not 30 million dollars. And if we want to see any serious progress in the minor leagues we need to stop deferring money to inconsistent players like Adrian Beltre. Remember in 2004 when he hit 40 something home runs? Yeah, that was an anomaly just like last year. The guy’s middle name is inconsistent.
    Furthermore, Adam Dunn will never come to LA. Dodger stadium is a pitcher’s park, and for a guy whose saving grace is his power, it’ll just mean a dark era for his HR totals. Zach Greinke could happen, but let’s be serious here, Takashi Saito is not even in the Dodgers’ sights anymore. That dude is old news in the MLB.