I Am Far From Perfect

I Am Far From Perfect

Look, I make mistakes, I don’t type well (fingers injured in a motorcycle accident), I don’t spend all day on a post, I have a job, I’m not very smart, I am a hack,  I screw up.

But have a take!  Do not suck!

I was accused of calling Lawdog an A-Hole, but for some reason he can’t produce the “chapter and verse” where I said that.  Maybe it’s because I didn’t.

Of these things I am certain of:

1. The sun will rise tomorrow;
  2. Badger, Lawdog and Brooklyn Dodger will disagree with whatever I say.

Of those, I do respect Brooklyn Dodger because he has well-reasoned arguments.  I may not agree, but he has put some thought into it.

Badger and Lawdog  just disagree with whatever I say, especially if Frank McCourt is involved – I love you guys (I did not call you an A-Hole, Lawdog), but quit being so predictable.

Damn, enjoy a moment!  Baseball is fun!

41 Responses to “I Am Far From Perfect”

Mark,

Thank you for complimenting me on my “well-reasoned arguments”. However, it is simply not true that I always disagree with you. Yes, I do disagree with you (maybe even often), but definitely not always. I can’t remember all of my posts, especially at this late hour in NY (12:35 am), but I’m guessing that if you glance back at them you will find some agreement. I do disagree with you on Broxton, looking people in the eye, and I would like to see McCourt replaced by a new owner. And I’m sure there are other things. But I have also said that I believe McCourt would spend money as the Dodgers got closer to their 2014 TV networks.

Brooklyn,

I\’m just having fun…

What? So my disagreements with you are not well reasoned. I have known you a long time Mark and a statement like that surprises me.

We strongly disagree about politics, wars of choice tax breaks for the uber wealthy and the value of Adrian Beltre. I always present as strong an argument as possible and a plethora of articles from experts on the subjects to back up my point of view. If you want your legions to fall in line and agree with you without thinking about the subject, go post on Glenn Beck’s blog.

You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts. Have a take and don’t suck? Look in the mirror my friend.

I case you haven’t read it, here’s an article with a little information about how ticket prices have changed and what a few season ticket holders are saying to the press:

5. SpokaneBob says:

Mark, I like your posts and look forward to reading them.

Badger, if your like most people on the left you disparage Glenn Beck and Fox News without ever watching what they actually do. At least Fox presents people and points of view from both sides. No other network does that to the extent that Fox does. Try watching Fox News Sunday, there is a balance there that you won’t see on Chris Mathews or Meet the Press.

And to blanket the people who watch or listen to Glenn Beck as unthinking is just as unfair and unfounded as calling the tea party people racists.

I tried to watch Glenn Beck, I think he is an idiot. I also listened to Limbaugh, O’Reilly and Hannity. I think they are all insane.

My apologies to any of you Beck sycophants. I meant no harm.

• ray says:

If Beck is an idiot, most people on TV are idiots then.
      How’s that Obama aproval rating looking?

Not so good ray. Down to about 43%. And you are right, most of the talking heads out there go where they go just to rally those on the extreme. It’s good for ratings. And yes, a lot of them are idiots, but they sure have their schtick down kto an art form.

I feel the same about McCourt as I do Obama:

\”Nothing I can do about it NOW, so there\’s no need to discuss it.\”

Beck, Hannity and Limbaugh are products of giving people what they want to hear (but occasionally they do present some cogent info), O\’Reilly is crazy like a fox and gets it right more often.

Cognitive Dissonance is what creates the need for these right-wingers.

Glen Beck is a phony and a clown. Whatever side of the aisle you fall on, you should fact check some of the things Beck, Hannity, & Limbaugh say. These guys tend to “bend” the truth. The problem is people take what they say as gospel. Then get totally offendedwhen you point out inaccuracies. People are too busy these days to think for themselves, they don’t have time to research anything. so they trust their tv or radio.
    Guys life is short. Just because you disagree with someone doesn’t mean they are communist, socialists, or hate America. Different ideas makes the world go round, let’s embrace that for once without the name calling. I guess we can all start here, on LA Dodgertalk. with one exception: Mark is a nut if he thinks Beltre is coming back!

9. SpokaneBob says:

Well I guess there are coolaid drinkers and tea drinkers. In a little less than 3 weeks we will see which is nearer to mainstream America.

No we won’t Bob. Most people in the U.S. are so disgusted with the process they are staying home. The people who are rallying now are the ones out of power. This election has nothing to do with mainstream America. Mainstream America, the middle class, was nearly destroyed by the previous administration and hasn’t been helped all that much by the current administration.

We need to evolve as a voting society and I have no idea how that happens. Giving corporations and foreign influences the freedom to anonymously support any candidate they want with unlimited donations is a huge step backward. Maybe if everyone was required to vote before they got issued a driver’s license we would actually see what mainstream America really wanted.

• yep…New Jersey and Mass spoke loud and clear.

10. As an every day reader I can tell you that this site would be rather boring if you all agreed on everything… all the time….

Whether you agree with what Mark says or not the fact is he does get the dialogue going on this site…and after all isn’t that what a good “host” should do?

Oh…I tried the coolaid in my younger days..now I am partial to the taste of tea!

Good takes guys. You too Rihanna, if you aren’t a guy. I like tea too. Never was much for coolaid, though I think we used to spell it Koolaid. Coolaid sounds like someone who is a lot of fun is willing to help.

As long as we don’t get personal, I don’t have a problem with anyone giving their take. I can handle criticism, but I will usually punch back. Mark knows this about me, we have gone around and around for over a decade now, and he is always welcome at my campfire and he knows it.

I happen agree with what Romey just said about Beck, but I also recognize that these talking head guys do what they do to get ratings. I just printed out “the 10 Craziest Things Glenn Beck Has Said” for a buddy of mine I have coffee with every Thursday and it is freakin’ hilarious! How can you take this guy seriously? John Stewart said it best when he said “Glenn Beck, now we know what people who don’t think are thinking!”

As for Obama, hey, I voted for him because I felt we really needed to distance ourselves from the disastrous previous 8 years. So far, I am disappointed in his approach. Hey man, YOU are the President, act like it and tell those on the other side to help or get out of the way! Or as we used to say in the Marine Corps “fu*% fight or hold the light!” If Obama’s policies don’t work, fire him when the time comes, but this trying to cooperate with and appease people who have no interest in you succeeding is most definitely not working.

Anyone here any news on the divorce? I been out all morning.

Mark,

After I posted late last night it occurred to me that I should have ended my post with a smiley face. But I needed sleep, so I decided not to turn my computer back on.

I’m not getting into any political discussions, but I’ll leave you with this. I watch CNN.

The last sentence was not meant for everyone, not just Mark.

i agree with brooklyn. this is a dodger board, and i also would rather just stick to dodgers.

having said that, i’m infatuated with cliff lee after his game 5

15. lawdog says:

Mark, I don’t disagree with everything you say. Just the dumb stuff. Honest!

Come on Mark. You know you said anyone who said the things I said about McGoo was an asshole in one of your daily articles a few days back. In fact, it was in response to that very article where i set forth some things I’d said that have not been refuted and invited you and your fans to find a fault in what I said. Ray tried to attack the material, but his was the only attempt and who’s material I answered in the same thread.

Only someone who was felony stupid would fail to see your “asshole” reference was meant primarily for Badger and myself without actually coming out and saying it point blank. And neither of us is felony stupid. I know when I’ve been insulted with innuendo.

If I were to say: “Anyone who thinks McGoo has the Dodgers best interests in mind and he will spend whatever it takes to build a winning franchise for next season is an asshole” wouldn’t you take it personally? Well if you didn’t you should! :mrgreen:

But, even if you think I’m an asshole, I still like you and look forward to reading your ;posts and appreciate your keeping this blog alive. I think I’ve said as much many times in the past. But if you call me names, I have to respond. That’s just the way it is in virtual space. No one has to take insults without striking back in some fashion. Even 61 year old men who haven’t been in a fist fight since they were teenagers like me. :shock:

16. Badger…I am a dude….I did go by the screen name of Slo Dawg until I was accused of being an impostor by one possessing a similar name! LOL

Love this a site and look forward to all the conversation each and every day…You guys Rock!

I think I found it….

in the “Your Truth is False” piece, Mark said this:

“I have a few things to says about comments I read here day-after-day. I am going to deal with some of the biggest falsehoods I read:”

there it is. The word “falsehoods”. It’s subliminal but it is most definitely there…… see it? The word “a$$h*le is right there. And you know what’s left? …. F OD. I’ll second that.

Try to deny it Mark.

Lawdog,

Even Badger knows I didn\’t call you an A-Hole, unless it\’s was written in invisible ink.

Here\’s the only reference I made using that word:

Lawdog,

1. The Dodgers have been in the Top 5 or 6 in salary since McCourt bought the team;

2. Frank McCourt has spent more money on stadium and facility upgrades in that span than ANY OTHER TEAM IN BASEBALL;

3. Frank McCourt is sitting on some of the most valuable real estate in LA and after the divorce is final, he will partner with others to develop that area with hotels, restaurants, clubs, theaters, a concert venue and an amusement park (maybe even an NFL team). At that point, he will have more money than god.

4. Frank has had the scope stuck up his a$$ and we can see his polyps, but I’m guessing that other owners have the same crap. It’s just that Frank is under the scope and they are not!

5. You are free to hate McCourt and I personally think his lifestyle stinks, but so do many other athletes lifestyles. Many of them are a-holes and primma donnas. No difference here.

6. Watch and learn!

You may not be an A-Hole, but you need to improve your reading comprehension. Nothing in there was intended to call you an A-Hole unless you are an athlete.

19. Mark Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

I watch CNN…

and Fox

and MSNBC.

One tends to become myopic when they watch just one…

20. SpokaneBob says:

Badger,

Thanks for the correction. Turning 64 on Saturday, it has been a long time since I had any Koolaid.

Mark, sorry to bring up politics but it seem to have liven things up a bit. Might be ok if everyone stays cool even if we disagree.

Badger, I would love to discuss more about your posts if Mark would permit. I watch Beck alot and he consistanly tells people not to take his word on anything, inspite of the fact that he shows video to support some of his points. It has caused me to learn much more about our founding and our constitution. You think we need to evolve as a society. I think we would be better off rejecting the progressive movement toward state controlled socialism and return to our Constitutional roots.

21. lawdog says:

I said you called me an asshole by innuendo Mark. Go back and read what Badger said about it. You might not have used the exact word, but what you said spoke so loudly I can’t hear a word of your denial. (To paraphrase Walt Whitman.)

22. lawdog says:

Beck is a total idiot Spokane Bob.

23. could mccourt make a splash with Cliff Lee like he die with ….well….Zach Lee?? How good would that rotation be? Cliff Lee, Kershaw, Bills, Kuroda/Lilly and Zach Lee!!!!
    Lee squared.

24. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

I don’t see anywhere how you can think that I called you an A-Hole and Badger is just stirring the pot. He knows better.

For the record, I don’t think you are an A-Hole.

I do think you are delusional.

If I thought you were an A-hole, I would say it.

I agree with Bob on the Constitutional part. His comments make perfect sense to me. (Except for Beck part) I suppose it is just how it is all spun. By definition, Socialism is an economic and political theory advocating public or common ownership and cooperative management of the means of production and allocation of resources. It’s not as bad as some paranoids make it sound, but I do understand their collective fears.

“I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate the grave evils of capitalism, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy, accompanied by an educational system which would be oriented toward social goals. In such an economy, the means of production are owned by society itself and are utilized in a planned fashion. A planned economy, which adjusts production to the needs of the community, would distribute the work to be done among all those able to work and would guarantee a livelihood to every man, woman, and child. The education of the individual, in addition to promoting his own innate abilities, would attempt to develop in him a sense of responsibility for his fellow-men in place of the glorification of power and success in our present society.”

Albert Einstein, 1949

I don’t believe for a moment that anyone wants a pure socialistic government, especially ours as it has proven repeatedly it can’t handle the job. But we pay the government trillions of dollars – how they choose to spend it is where the conversations need to take place.

Mark does not think you are an asshole Ldog. We both have known him for years, you must know him better than that. He may think we are morons, but frankly I don’t have a problem with that take. Fact is, I have done some pretty moronic things in my life so if he chooses to call me that, I got no real defense.

I do think he is wrong about McCourt though.

Don’t know how Lee and Kuroda/Lilly could land here ray. Where does McMucus get the money? That rotation represents half the payroll. But you are right, great rotation. However I fear they would have to all throw complete game shutouts every time out.

• love the pessimism here

What pessimism? You mean the belief that the Dodgers likely cannot afford $25 million a year for two pitchers? That ain’t pessimism, that realism. If the Dodgers sign Lee it will be for $15 mil a year. Lilly will get $10. Kershaw had better be locked up or the Dodgers risk losing his loyalty when it gets to the nasty arb years. That contract will probably be another $4-5 million. Bills will get a raise to $5 million. That’s over $35 million for 4 starters. You want Padilla again? That will only cost about $2 million, but we will need a few more starters to plug in there when he goes down. Now add all that to the $50 or so million already committed and you are about done before you get any bench players or bullpen help.

I know you read the Mike Scioscia piece on what the Dodgers can do. I don’t think he saw Lee and Kuroda/Lilly here either. He has Kershaw, Bills, Padilla, Gorzelanny and Kawakami in his rotation. He must be as pessimistic as some of us.

26. lawdog says:

Asshole? Moron? You say tomatos. I say tomahtos. I said he called us assholes using innuendo. He didn’t use the specific word, but anyone who can’t see his plain meaning is intellectually challenged. Or is that felony stupid?

Now he says I’m a teller of falsehoods and delusional. I’d like it better if he just called me an asshole and got it over with. :mrgreen:

27. why is everyone so offended by what Mark wrote? you’ve said your peace. Let’s move on.
    sometimes I feel like its Groundhog Day here….same comments daily.
    But I still come because I like what Mark and the other writers provide us here.

I like the Lee and Lee rotation……Cliff, Clayton, Chad and Zach….Triple C’s and Big Z!!!

28. SpokaneBob says:

Badger, The problems with the socialist economy is that it eliminates the opportuniny for sucess that exists in our system and that someone has to be incharge to distribute the work and establish the social goals.

Our founder recognised that men are basically corruptible and that power corrupts. That is why they formed a bottom up government where the power to govern comes from the poeple. That concept has been distroyed over time by the progressive movement to the point that the federal government costantly exceeds it enumerated powers.

The Tea Party Movement goal is to elect people who will work to reverse this situation and move toward a more limited federal government, returning more power to state and local levels.

“Our founder recognised that men are basically corruptible and that power corrupts”

Have you been reading the papers? Have you not seen what corruption exists in our banking and corporation systems? Corporations own our politicians and Wall Street took the bailout money and gave themselves bonuses with it. Where is the regulation? Gone, that’s where.

You see, this is where we differ. We need balance, and we don’t have it. We need a powerful middle class and we are losing it. Why? Because the pyramid is way too steep and greed is rewarded in this country. It’s all about excess. And we in the middle are always the losers.

I have said it before and I will say it again, our government needs to represent the PEOPLE, and it does not.

And maybe this isn’t the place to kick start this argument. You and I have been around and around about this for years. And at the risk of sounding like an “I told you so” everything that I predicted would happen has indeed happened. The war, the economy, the loss of the middle class…. we had these conversations on the other site and you know what I am saying here is true. Limited government? Where was that paradigm the 8 years before Obama?

Balance. Power to the people. We need to get it back or we will continue to be in serious trouble.

And for the record, I have heard the Tea Party candidates speak and I am not impressed.

30. SpokaneBob says:

” Power to the people. We need to get it back or we will continue to be in serious trouble.”

We agree Badger.

Good to hear.

Now let’s fix the Dogs.

That didn’t sound right.

Wow, What a bunch of crap going on in here. The best thing I took from all this was Ray’s statement that it seems like groundhog day over and over again. At least the boys have moved on from Broxton for now. Lawdog, law don’t go around here….. But your a daisy if ya do……………….

Thanks for your always insightful input Bill.

You are consistent, I’ll give you that.

Well Badger you are consistent as well. Peace