Your Truth Is False!

Your Truth Is False!

I have a few things to says about comments I read here day-after-day.  I am going to deal with some of the biggest falsehoods I read:

Frank McCourt is Running the Team into the Ground: Since 2004, when Frank McCourt bought the Dodgers, they have been in the playoffs 4 out of 7 years.  In that same span, the Yankees, Cardinals and Red Sox have also been there 4 out of 7 years.  The Phillies have been there 3 out of 7 years (the last 3 in a row) and the team with the most post-season appearances during that same span is none other than the LA Angels with 5.  So, since Frank McCourt has owned the team, the Dodgers have been in the playoffs as much as any other team, except for the Angels.

Frank McCourt won’t spend money:  The Dodgers team payroll have averaged $100.5 million during the 7 years McCourt has owned the team! When Frank McCourt bought the Los Angeles Dodgers and Dodger Stadium from News Corp, Dodger fans were concerned that the real estate mogul, whose primary properties were in the Boston area, didn’t care about the history and tradition of the franchise.  Subsequently, McCourt has pumped a pile of money into the team ($1oo mil a year) and stadium (over $60 million) and Camelback Ranch.   As part of a multi-year plan 50,000 seats were completely replaced and a park and picnic area added outside the stadium. Over the next few years McCourt wants to turn Dodger Stadium into a year-round destination where people can shop and eat. McCourt has consistently had one of the highest payrolls in baseball and beefed up the team’s player development.  These are the facts people!

The Dodgers are broke:  Again, put down the crack pipe and back away slowly.  The Dodgers Debt to Value of the Team Ratio  is 58%.  The Tigers and the Cardinals are both 56%, so they are nearly identical to the Dodgers, and five other teams (COUNT ‘EM FIVE) have higher Debt to Value Ratios.  The Texas Rangers are insolvent with a Debt to Value Ration of 105%, but the Yankees have a 89% Debt to Value Ratio.  The Mets are at 81% and the Cubs are at 80%.  The Nationals are the other team with a higher Debt/Value Ratio which is 65%.  The Dodgers are not bankrupt.  Bud Selig is not calling the shots and Frank doesn’t have to sell the team.  Thank about it!  Some of the stuff you post is just plain ridiculous!  The Dodger have Debt of $450 million.  The Yankees have Debt of $1.4 Billion!  I said $1.4 Million!   Are you crazy?   Come on, you have to be smarter than that.  Think, people.  Think!

The Dodgers Payroll will be $60 mil in 2011.  Are you nuts?   McCourt knows that the fans will revolt if that happens.  Don’t think for a minute that he can’t borrow money (no matter what you read) and also, you need to remember that he is one of the few baseball owners with NO PARTNERS.  He can get money.  He has to borrow a Billion more dollars to equal the Yankees debt!

The Dodgers will be horrid next year.  Some people call me Pollyanna, but they are the same people who year-after-year predict gloom and doom for their beloved Dodgers.  They have no credibility!  End of discussion.  When some of you make your predictions, I can just cut-and-paste what you said the last 17 years!  I predicted that the team would make the playoffs this year and I was wrong, but I still say it was not lack of talent.  It was a lack of leadership.  Torre dropped the ball, Colletti dropped the ball, McCourt dripped the ball and most importantly, the players dropped the ball.  Roger pointed out that the Dodgers were playing sloppily in the Spring and that there was a “country-club atmosphere” that permeated the team.  I thought that it would change once the season started… and it did (for a while).  I think they they just thought they had to show up and they were in.  I think they have learned a very hard lesson and will “hungry” next year.

However, I think that the biggest reason why the Dodgers didn’t win was the fact that Manny wasn’t Manny.  He was paid to be a superstar who carried the team, and he could even carry his own jock.  His power was gone.  He was  shell of himself and he was on the DL three times.  In short, he wasn’t a factor.  The fact that Manny Ramirez experienced such a deep decline was the single biggest reason why the Dodgers didn’t make the playoffs.  I think his decline shocked the youngsters and de-railed who could have been a fine season.

40 Responses to “Your Truth Is False!”

This is what I posted near the end of the last thread.

“I too thought the Dodgers would win the division. My optimism didn’t take into account that Manny would totally disappear, and that Loney, Kemp and Ethier would all have down years. Add to that the continued decline of Russell Martin, and the unexpected tanking of the bullpen (almost everyone, not just Broxton), and you have a formula for failure. Murphy (of Murphy’s Law) was clearly traveling with the Dodgers in 2010.”

So, as you Mark, I was also optimistic going into the season. And I agree, as you say “that…they have learned a very hard lesson and will [be] ‘hungry’ next year.” Or at the very least, I’m hopeful that they will adopt that attitude, and the resolve to go with it.

I seriously doubt that the Dodger payroll will only be $60 million next year. And although I would prefer a new ownership, as I have stated in the past, I could see McCourt spending more money as we get closer to 2014, when the Dodgers are reportedly going to begin operating two Dodger TV networks, one in English and the other in Spanish. McCourt may be offensive in a lot of ways, but if he is anything, he is not stupid. I’m not filled with optimism, but I do have some hope.

Regarding the Yankee debt. That’s probably for baseball operations only, and likely doesn’t take into account the YES network, which is a totally separate entity. Probably the same for the Mets with their SNY network.

Badger,

Just in case you don’t go back and read my last post in the previous thread, it was the New York FOOTBALL Giants I was referring to, not those other Giants in the bay area. I wouldn’t want you thinking I had anything good to say about the SF Giants.

“McCourt has pumped a pile of money into the team”

not according to court documents:

He borrowed the money Mark, he didn’t sink his own money into the team.

This is the Los Angeles Dodgers we are talking about, and this guy’s plan actually depends on 3.8 million fans showing up each year. If that doesn’t happen, his plan goes in the toilet. HIs plan also goes into the toilet if the court forces the couple to split assets evenly. He may in fact be able to borrow money against the future television contract IF he wins a lopsided divorce settlement. It could happen, strange things do happen when it comes to the wealthy and law. But real world scenarios have this couple splitting assets, just like most people are forced to do in divorces.

And the fact of the matter is, most L.A. people don’t like this guy. You do. Good luck with that.

I don’t think Dodger payroll will be $60 million next year. But I would not be surprised to see it closer to that figure than it was in 2003, ($105 million) the year before Frankie showed up. And, it has gone down each year since ’08. If the sheeple of L.A. keep showing up, then he could pull it off. If they do not…. this man is in deep sheeple $&*!.

3. Gonzo says:

“They have been in the playoffs 4 out of 7 years. In that same span, the Yankees, Cardinals and Red Sox have also been there 4 out of 7 years. The Phillies have been there 3 out of 7 years (the last 3 in a row) and the team with the most post-season appearances during that same span is none other than the LA Angels with 5.”

Only one thing you forgot to include their buddy all the aformentioned teams WON a world series or two in that span. While McCourt has spent some money out of his pocket, most of it was from loans or taxpayers.

It’s there in black and white Mover, you always ask people to show you the facts. Links have been posted yet, being the wordsmith you are, you twist things up and want everyone to not panick. Well I can tell you and many others will agree….THE SKY IS FALLING!!

4. Mark Timmons says:

Boy Gonzo,

Thanks for the segway. Tell me how I am twisting this:

First of all, the Angels have not won a World Series in that span, even though they have been there more than any other team. That sure blows your argument to pieces. In fact, the Angels payroll was the highest it has ever been this year at $121 mil and they finished with the same record as the Dodgers.

During the time the Dodgers payroll was averaging $100.5 mil, the Cardinals were averaging $90.5 mil per year and the Phillies were averaging $102 mil. The Angels have averaged $108.8 mil during that same period, while the Yankees were averaging $199.7 mil and the Red Sox were averaging $133.5 mil.

Using your logic, the Yanks should win every year. What’s your point, but that you hate McCourt? I get that! The facts don’t support your position. You McCourt bashers are irrational fanatics! Most Dodger fans fall into that catagory.

You guys think I like McCourt, so feel free to say it and call me names if it makes you feel better. I have no affinity for McCourt, but he is the owner and you are fantasizing if you think he’s going away. Badger is found of saying I like the guy. Keep saying it if you think it makes it true or makes you feel better.

He does have an asset worth over $700 mil and he owes over $400 mil in debt on it, which is less than many other teams. How am I twisting that? Just because you don’t want to believe it doesn’t mean it’s not true.

And then here’s the most foolish part:

“While McCourt has spent some money out of his pocket, most of it was from loans or taxpayers.”

Hello? Most? Maybe, maybe not! But, why confine that to McCourt? Who owns Yankee Stadium? Answer: The City of New York! It cost $1.1 Bil to build. McCourt owns Dodger Stadium himself with “borrowed Money.” Yankee Stadium is financed with Taxpayer money, and so are most other stadiums. The Yankees average ticket is $67. The Dodgers is $30.

You guys kill me. I twist the facts? You have twisted the facts so much that they will have to screw you into the ground to bury you. You are just one of those lemmings who wants to believe what the mental majority are saying.

Please think out your comments before posting.

Fact and figures say a lot — and then again — they can be used to make many different points, sometime opposites.

On the other side of the ball — there are feelings. I believe there is a feeling in Dodgerland (which is the world not just in greater L.A.) — many folks do not feel good about the Dodgers ownership. And feelings are important.

From: McCourt is really an old parking lot guy from Boston.

To, Jamie spends too much money to live like a goddess. (Is that figure still $650,000 a month???)

To, McCourt did not have the funds to make serious corrections last season when Manny went down, when the 2nd base lacks showed, when the catching department was not working like it should, when the pen began to blow a gas-kit. And maybe more import — at the beginning of the season making the correction of two starters were still needed.

From the beginning of last season, the Dodgers on paper where short of a first rate caliber team.

On the positive spin on that bottle — if the season saw just better relief pitching a times, just a bit better hitting, etc. They would be were the Giants are right now.

There are times when a particular team, any team in any division, finds that another team or teams there — are just too good, too strong, too above them — an your team just out of the race. Really, the Dodgers have not been in that kind of division in many seasons.

Badger has a really important point. Bringing in almost 4 million fans each season does help. Drop than to 2.8 or 3.1 and Badger would be playing SS, Lawdog a starter, and I would be in the pen. All for the $325,000 price tag.

Mark, do you actually read the links provided in here or do you just google for facts that support your argument?

Yes, I think you do like the guy. What else can explain your continued defense of him? I don’t get it. The guy is a silver spoon disputatious termite that has made his money first from four generations of real estate developers then on his from taking other people to court. His name says it all. And for some reason you keep defending the guy.

If the people of L.A. respond to this character by boycotting season ticket purchases for one year this man is done. If Dodger fans, like you, continue to send him money then he will carry on.

We shall see where this ends up. But, frankly it is currently running right on pace with what many of us predicted it would – the inability to compete on the field. This team needed an infusion of expensive talent to compete this year and we, once again, sent off young talent for mediocre inexpensive veterans that propelled to team to a sub .500 finish. Other teams are doing it right. The Dodgers are not. It all starts with leadership. The Dodgers don’t have it.

7. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

When McCourt bought the team seven years ago, you said that he wouldn’t spend and yet the Dodgers team payroll has averaged over $100 million. They are in the TOP 5 or 6 in payroll during that time. He IS the owner and I don’t see him getting ousted. He’s not nearly in the financial trouble most people say.

Is he a greedy, self-indulged, ego-centric jerk? Maybe. I don’t know him, but he has done some good and made progress for the team. I actually read most of what is out there and much of it is drivel.

I mean, every owner uses OPM (other peoples money) and Frank has never asked LA to build him a stadium like the Boss did, but people love the Boss and hate McCourt.

Like Roger said – your perception is reality, but I will say again that your truth is false.

I think that we will find out that the extravagance, the voodoo Russian nitwit psychic and a lot of the other stupidity was from Jamie.

If I thought that a new owner was a real possibility and that guy would be better than McCourt, I would drink your Koolade, but as it is, that is not on the table, and McCourt is not what you think.

You said:
    “The guy is a silver spoon disputatious termite that has made his money first from four generations of real estate developers then on his from taking other people to court.”

That probably applies to just about every other team owner in MLB too. I mean, talk about applying something when you think it fits.

Mark, what I think Badger and other believe/think — is that McCourt or whoever owned the Dodgers these past 7 years — should have done more with this particular team. Bunches of money coming in, Spring Training a basic sellout for the past two March’s, and a nice lineup to work with for several season.

But — this past season, he was so strapped with contracts, money, expenses, legal situation/s — McCourt could not, did not, and would not make the moves a team like THEM should have made. Heck the Padres and Giants made better moves to fix things.

Sports writers, broadcasters, etc. kind of laugh at the Dodger’s owner situation.

Roger just nailed it.

In the very beginning, if you will remember, I raisied some questions that seemed obvious to me. Who is this guy, why did he get turned down 3 other times for franchise purchases, why does he have to leverage so much money and what the hell was the t.v. deal with Fox all about? Turns out it was about going into debt right away. There were a few who shared my concerns but, understandably, most were just glad the evil empire Fox was out of the picture.

The Dodgers are one of those rare jewels in MLB. They have a fan base as good or better than any team in baseball, they own their own stadium and if the owner didn’t have his head up his ass, they should be able to at the very least match the Phillies, Red Sox and Cubs in payroll and at the very most match the Yankees.

But that is just not the case. Yes, McCourt has done some good things around the park, but what he hasn’t done is buy the right guy at the right time. Most of our young talent was already in the organization when he showed up. He is in the middle of a nasty divorce, he is in debt and payroll has fallen three years in a row. The only thing that is saving his sorry ass is the fact that Dodger fans haven’t abandoned the team. 3.5 million showed up for this circus? If this crap was pulled anywhere else the fans would have revolted.

Change of pace here: on the MLB Trade Rumors site, there are a bunch of comments on Loney, here is one:

“Fielder, Pujols, Gonzalez, Lee, Votto, Youkilis, Morneau, Teixeira, Howard, Dunn, Morales, Overbay, LaRoche, Butler, Cabrera, Konerko, Huff, Pena, and so on….they are all better.

If he has another bad year he will be joining Blalock, Garko, Kotchman, Jacobs, and so on the unemployment line.

If the Dodgers don’t think he can rebound then they should shop him right now.”
    —–
    another: “Never thought I’d see the day when people were crying foul over non-tendering a first baseman with a SLG below .400 and a .315 wOBA.

James Loney is an absolutely terrible baseball player. He’s played in 624 regular-season major-league games and generated a whopping total of 6.5 WAR. That’s shockingly mediocre production from an everyday player. His only season in which he produced over 2 WAR, he also sported a BABIP of .350. So unless you think he’s going to be remarkably lucky again in 2011, he’s really not worth the money. There are cheaper options of equal or comparable ability.

Non-tender.”
    ——-
    Interesting takes . . .

11. Ray says:

Roger-how did the Ryan Ludwick trade work out for the Padres? Every one here and in the media said it was a great dal for the Padres. He hit .211-.301-.330 with 6 HRs and 26 RBIs with the Padres…..and that was a good move?
    Jose Guillen to the Gianta? he hit .266-.317-.376 with 3 HR and 15 RBIs.
    I admit the Pat Burrell pickup by the Giants was vry good, but LAD did not have room for him with MAnny on the roster.
    Those are the only two that come to mind…but they weren’t very good.

Giants seem to have some good juju working. The typical Sabean old geezer pick-ups have actually worked, and the Braves are having some bad luck – injuries to key players. Gotta feel for that Conrad kid – he isn’t even supposed to be there and he coughs up several hair balls in the play-offs.

I saw that rumor thing about Loney Roger….. one has to wonder where this team is actually headed.

Frank did all that he could to win in 2009, rolled the dice knowing that the roll would hurt the team for years to come. Frank the gambler. You have to give him the respect for trying but to go “All in” often puts you out of the game.

$60 million was an filppant comment by an LA sportscaster which should have told Frank that the fans are pissed and that he should attempt to get back to $100 mil in salary if Bud will let him. A simple business plan will work for Bud just like a complex business plan works for Bud when a team is in bankrutcy court.

Your comments about broke does not consider other definitions of “Broke” in the MLB collective bargaining agreement that put a team in quasi-receivership with Bud.

Frank has absolutely no ability to invest in any improvements for the Dodgers, the facility or commercial enterprises, or a buy back from Jamie. Only one or more joint ventures and a partial sale of the Dodgers will allow any of these things to happen.

MSTI has a very creative roster/business plan for 2011. Position players today and pitchers tommorrow.

14. chucky says:

I think Mark is correct in many aspects; Manny was going to rip the league and would protect the balance of the lineup as pitchers would stay from from Manny, THIS DID NOT HAPPEN. Manny made more money than anyone HE was going to be the leader and he vanished. The “kids” were lost and in looking at Manny leaving the team (mentally then physically) they lost confidence (in a simple sort of way).

As far as the debt of the Dodgers, that’s not important, in a company, you use debt to finance a company, THIS IS STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE. What has killed everyone is the McCheaps (I love that name) expendiures (or was it just the old lady?). The McCourts have lost their credability, that is what is hurting the fans (and Frank). He is probably ignoring the fans tirates and know that winning solves everything (including team value). These all point to the idea that they will spend to get new players.

I believe “the proof is in the pudding” if the 2011 payroll is above $110 million then we are OK, if the payroll is under $70 million (both numbers excluding the $17 million deferred payrolls) then I do not know.

Peace

15. lawdog says:

Sorry Mover, but at this point I have lost all respect for your baseball smarts–at least as it applies to McGoo and his dragon lady. We’ve supplied you with plenty facts which make pan McGoos malfeasance when it comes to running the trea,, the horrible moves he’s made to save a buck or two only to spend all the cash he can on his lavish, decandant,degenerate lifestyle. McBastard leveraged every cent he could from the Dogs revenuesand backloaded every obligation he could as far into the future as he could to maximize the avaialbel cash he could loot from the Dodgers. When you defer compensation of players and as many other liabilities as you can as far as possible into the future in exchange for performance by the other party in the future, that can’t help but come back to bit you in the ass unless the value of your assets keep rising to make it possible to pay off all te accumulating eebt for services rendered in the past. He’s risen to the very top of that bubble and it hasd no buurst. The sky is not falling. It has already fallen on this asshole.

And all you can do is ridicule those of us who point to the facts surrounding this horrific situation which will make our team the laughing stock of baseball for allowing the owners to skim off all the income and give back Jack Didley to the fans as he let’s the team fall to the level of a bad AA farm team. Ridicule, as you know, is the lowest form of argument and is basically recognized as a white flag by someone who has to resort to using such lame arguments that do not address the issues at all but attempt to “win” the argument by stating emphatically that those on the opposite side are known assholes who couldn’t come up with a cogent argument to save their lives. It’s considered surrender at debate tournaments.

I really thought you were better than this Mover. But one gets tired of being repeatedly called an asshole for raising arguments to which that person who is slandering you hasn’t raised any logical rebuttal because there aren’t any. And I’m getting tired of being called an asshole when you haven’t any basis other than your “feeling’ that my arguments are full of shit. Point out concisely and cogently why the others who have made similar arguments to mine, as well as the arguments I have made, have logical flaws. Then we can engage in meaningful dialogue on the issues and i can regain my respect for you, old friend.

• Ken says:

You could actually say most of that to Barack O Bama and his hatchetmen.

Before you blowup with a political tirade please tell me if you know how Muslems, Mormons and Liberal Judges think the same way. If you do not know, then help solve these issues.

Is Luke 10:18 actually translated into the Hebrew language as Satan Barack O Bama? Does anyone here speak Hebrew?

When “Yes We Can” is played backwards does it actually say “Thank You Satan”? Does anyone here have recording equipment?

Enquiring minds want to know!

16. lawdog says:

That should have been “He (McBastard) has risen to the very top of this bubble and it has now burst. Not “and it hasd no buurst.” Othet typos as well. I think I need a thrid cup of coffee today.

17. Mark Timmons says:

Lawdog,

1. The Dodgers have been in the Top 5 or 6 in salary since McCourt bought the team;
    2. Frank McCourt has spent more money on stadium and facility upgrades in that span than ANY OTHER TEAM IN BASEBALL;
    3. Frank McCourt is sitting on some of the most valuable real estate in LA and after the divorce is final, he will partner with others to develop that area with hotels, restaurants, clubs, theaters, a concert venue and an amusement park (maybe even an NFL team). At that point, he will have more money than god.
    4. Frank has had the scope stuck up his a$$ and we can see his polyps, but I’m guessing that other owners have the same crap. It’s just that Frank is under the scope and they are not!
    5. You are free to hate McCourt and I personally think his lifestyle stinks, but so do many other athletes lifestyles. Many of them are a-holes and primma donnas. No difference here.
    6. Watch and learn!

1. They should be #2 every year
    2. as he should, it’s the third oldest ballpark in MLB
    3. it’s valuable land – can you show us some details of this “plan”?
    4. other owners didn’t borrow every dime to get into the game.
    5. big difference – he is the boss in the midst of a nasty divorce.
    6. I’m watching. Haven’t learned much from what you have provided.

19. Anonymous says:

There are none so blind as those who will not see. Don’t confuse them with any facts, Mark. Their minds are closed!

Mark, did you really just say that McCourt “beefed up the team’s player development”?!!!!

Granted he signed zack lee, and i’m gona give him all the credit for that, but every single report we’ve gotten up till urs here says that our spending on the minor leagues has dropped a ton since he’s taken charge. we spent the LEAST on draft picks the past few years, and we dont spend anything on int’l scouting anymore like we used to.

that’s not beefing up. That’s hurting our long term future. (and short term future as well, as it limits our trade assets).

and we were NOT top 5-6 in salary in baseball this year. we were like 11 or 12, right behind sf and minny. and no, i’m not including the deferred money to andruw, pierre, and others. those guys weren’t on this team.

21. Gonzo says:

Ok so the Angels haven’t won in that span, they’ve won in THIS decade. Never did I say that the Yankees should win every year your are just twisting words again. Let me break it down. All the teams have something the Dodgers do not, owners with reserve capital just in case SHIT happens. McCourt testified in court that he is planning to reduce payroll and raise prices until 2018. Now tell me, since I’m stupid understanding these things so if he went on record to say that why wouldn’t it be true.

No stud player interested in winning will sign here because he would not be able to do it alone. Tori Hunter said that after he signed with the Angels.

Camelback was mostly funded from TAXPAYER money which has put the city of Glendale in the red for many years to come.

If the City of LA told McCourt that they would build him a modern replica of Dodger Stadium downtown next to the staples centers McCourt wouldn’t take it right? Of course not St. Frank who is concerned with keeping tradition alive would rather stay at Dodger stadium. Do you honestly think that he wouldn’t tear down Dodger stadium and build on it faster than you can say prenup?

I own my house and since I own it I have to maintain it to keep its market value as high as possible by landscaping it, painting it once every few years. The guy that lives next to me doesn’t cause he rents. So please don’t compare McCourt’s fleecing of the franchise to the way other franchises that have earned the taxpayers trust and money to build a stadium.

22. Gonzo says:

Just a small paragraph but if it interests you read the article. So if we’re lemmings you must be an ostrich with your head so far into (you fill in the blank).___________

But Glendale cannot afford to let Main Street die. City leaders expected its revenues to repay a big chunk of the $200 million it borrowed to build the spring-training ballpark, which opened last year for the Chicago White Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/03/12/20100312mainstreet0312.html#ixzz12631syet

23. Anonymous says:

Forget it, Mark. They know they have no argument. Ignorance must be bliss.

24. Mark Timmons says:

Anon, I’m with ya!

Gonzo,

Everyone knows that Glendale financed Camelback Ranch for the Sox and the Dodgers. What most people DON’T KNOW is that the Dodgers spent another $25 to $30 mil ON TOP of that to make the Dodgers facility much better. Tour both sides and get back with me. You will see the difference.

And McCourt HAS PAINTED Dodger Stadium. It’s nicer than it has been in 20 years. And yes, he would turn down a new stadium because he has grander plans. You are way off base and all I can say is that you will have to live and learn. All of you, not just Gonzo!

Bobby,

I am looking the OVERALL picture… over 7 years. Maybe the last year has been down, but overall, the minor leagues are in much better shape than 8 years ago.

Mark and I received a VIP tour of the Camelback facilities 2009 March. For over an hour. Major and Minor league camps. I have pictures.

They are the elite of baseball. Bar-none. The Dodgers use the facility all year long. The White Sox were to use the facility about a month and a half to two months. Maybe that has changed a bit, but that is what it was a year and a half ago.

Therefore, the Dodgers did put in some 20 million more dollars.

But I will say that the tickets are very expensive for practice games. Stay there a week worth of games, sit behind home plate to first or third base and it is much more than I think it should be. But the folks show up from Mexico, Calif, all over AZ and even back East. Of course, beverage – food – and especially the gift shop have long lines for folks to spend hard earned dollars. This past March, parking was free because of the high price of tickets.

If McCourt does keep the team — He best move the Dodgers front and center to be that class act that Mark keeps talking about. I hope he does. Or I know there are some rails left from the trans-contiential railroad — one for Frank and one for Mark and one for Ken. Yata-ta-hay.

I dont care how we become phillies west. i just want us to do it. i personally don’t think mccourt can do it, but i’d love to be proven wrong, for mark to be proven right, because we’ll have a powerhouse team to root for.

i’ll wear a shirt that says “i was wrong about mccourt” all day long if i have to. i just want a winner. watching sf make it to the nlcs is pissing me off.

27. Gonzo says:

Ditto on wearing that McCourt shirt.

28. lawdog says:

Giving Dodger stadium a fresh coat of paint every 40 or 50 years is the type of basic maintenance I’d expect of even the most heinous owner. You have to take that type of basic care of your property whether you want to do that or not.

Spiffing up the facility in Glendale was necessary to avoid the outcry for his abandoning the Florida traditional spring home of the team. Plus, it helps draw more fans to the meaningless spring training games.

Both moves were to insure that fans would feel comfortable spending their hard earned loot watching Dodger games. (Hardly the mark of an owner trying to build a winning franchise.)

McGoo actually made one major draft signing this year–probably as a requirement from Selig’s office to try and stimulate fan interest. Our farm system is in the toilet and has been going deeper down the lue since we gave away Santana for a little pocket change for McGoo’s weekend international junkets aboard his private jet. He refuses to offer arbitration to players who are obviously going to turn it down just so he won’t have to play for multiple first round picks. Too expensive. So our farm system’s cupboard is bare and we have holes all over the lineup.

Watch and see. If McGoo had any hope of rebuilding the farm anytime soon, he’ll offer arbitration to Lilly and Kuroda and any other player who’ll bring high draft picks if they turn him down and leave. No player in his right mind would now accept a contract that basically pays him 10% now and the rest is spread over the next 30 years ala Manny and Jonsey. Only a fool agrees to work full time for an insolvent owner who wants to leverage most of your salary into the future when he has no real assets with which to secure the “dollar down and chase me around” scenario. Is Selig going to guarantee all the leveraged contracts? If not, McGoo will have no choice but to put together a team on the cheap, and as we all know–”If it’s on the cheap, we won’t compete!”

McGoo’s idea of rebuilding the club is to bring in some geezers, neverweres and wannabes who’ll play for the league minimum. He’ll count on the lemmings continuing to pay to see .400 baseball just like last year. If he draws 3.5 million fans again, he can maintain his decadent, criminal life style and make the lawyers play his familiar: “Dollar down and chase me around” for the rest of their ill gotten loot.

No player in their right mind will stay here any longer than they are required to do so under the collective bargaining system. Expect an exodus, not only of martin and Loney, but also Ethier, Kemp, Broxton, Billingsley, Kurshaw and everybody else once they are eligible for free agency. And Dumbo McGoo will be too cheap to offer them arbitration anyway.

Oh what a tangled web he’s weaved since first McGoo decided to play on the cheap.

All right Mover. Answer all those points–not just the familiar one where you holler that Wolf and our 2nd baseman in 2009 would have accepted and made our team worse. That one is lame. But you don’t even have a lame argument against the rest of the points..

29. Ely's Coming, Better Hide Your Haeger says:

Lawdog,

You bash McCourt all the time. You think everything he does is a calculated evil act designed to screw every Dodger fan from now to eternity.

I’m not saying your wrong….

but what could McCourt do, to make you change your mind about him? Not sell the team, because as the time goes on, I’m agreeing less and less with what Mark says…. but I do agree with him about Frank being the owner for as long as he possibly can.

What could Frank do as the owner to begin to get you to change your opinion of him?

I would wear that shirt too. Safe bet in my estimation.

I won’t answer the question for ldog, my answer is simply “sell the team and beat feet out of town.” or, how about this:

Welcome to Koch Industries Stadium, home of your Los Angeles Dodgers!

That ought to do it. Each week they can change the outfield walls to reflect the different holdings – Tesaro, Valero, Koch Chemical, Koch Carbon, Koch Minerals, Georgia Pacific, Invista, Iris Power, Flint Hill Resources…. you could have different outfield wall every week.

But I would like to turn it around and ask anyone willing to answer – what could McCourt do to change people’s mind. And please don’t say “sign Dunn, Beltre, Lilly, Lee etc. etc. because that is just ridiculous. The payroll will be stabilized or going down.

You got about $88 million and $80 is already spent. Good luck.

31. lawdog says:

McGoo is a piece of garbage. He cannot be rehabilitated. He must sell the team outright or bring in a partner who will have controlling interest in the team. An owner who wants to win first and make money second. Otherwise we’re doomed to languish near the cellar as long as McGoo calls the shots and i won’t live long enough to see another pennant, much less a world series championship.

You younger guys can be patient and wait for this franchise to turn around after McGoo eventually croaks and his sons sell the team to someone who cares about the team. I don’t have that luxury since i just turned 61 last month. I don’t have 25 years to wait for the team to turn around.

• Ely's Coming, Better Hide Your Haeger says:

So, your saying there’s nothing he can EVER do to get you to change your mind?

What happens if the team wins the World Series next year? I’m not saying it’s going to happen? The chances of that are miniscule. What happens though? Is that enough?

I can’t believe he completely irredeemable. I really find it hard to believe that there’s not one thing he can do, as the owner, that can get you to begin to change your mind about them.

You have already waited 22 years ldog – what’s another 25? You will only be 86. And the 80′s are the new 70′s.

You don’t like my Koch Industries Dodger Stadium idea? How about – HALLIBURTON STADIUM. They got so much money they can lose a billion of it on a pallet somewhere in a middle east desert and nobody gives a damn.

33. lawdog says:

How about Blackwater and McGoo’s Aneheim Dodgers of Los Angeles Dome Stadium (to keep out the sunshine?) :mrgreen:

The reckless and ruthless cowboys of Blackwater have a new handle. They are now called Xe (pronounced Z).

Xe Ravine. I like it.

Did you notice the advertising hanging everywhere you looked in Yankee Stadium. Damn near every camera angle had a name in it – Budweiser, Casio, Metlife, Pepsi, Ford, Toyota, Hess, Mastercard, Delta…… it was incredible.

35. lawdog says:

I vote for all beer sponsors! How about Coor’s, Coor’s Light, Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Lite, and just to keep our Canadian friends happy, Molsen and Molsen Ice.

Oops! We can’t forget the latinos. Dos Equis has to be in the mix as well or we’ll have pickets and demonstrations. :mrgreen:

36. lawdog says:

ZZZZEEE Ravine where you can go watch McGoo’s team and catch up on your own ZZZZZZZZs.

37. Gonzo says:

Yes Dos Equis Ldog and the most interesting man in the world can sing the national anthem every home game…in swaheeli