Trent Oeltjen & Russ Mitchell

Trent Oeltjen & Russ Mitchell

Two names that you might want to watch next year.

Russ Mitchell is a guy who can hit.  I think in the past he’s been a good ole’ boy and hasn’t worked too hard at his craft, but he got serious this year and the results were evident.  Russ Mitchell is  baller.  He’s not a great glove, but I think he can handle 3B.  I have seen him on several occasions and he reminds me of a young Casey Blake (with a better bat).  I’m not saying he’s “all that” but it wouldn’t surprise me if he were the Dodgers 3B next year… or not.

Trent Oeltjen is another issue.  He is a speedster (think LH Jason Repko, minus the injuries), who plays LF and RF.  Again, no predictions, but he could make the team… or he could be denied a roster spot.  Just keep an eye on him.

Ronnie Bellliard was waived and left the Dodgers today.  His Belly left 10 minutes earlier!

Other names that could make the team:

• Hu
  • De Jesus
  • Paul
  • De La Rosa
  • Robinson

Finally,  John Lindsey is a “feel good story.”  Good for the Dodgers in bring him up for his 15 minutes!  It was long overdue.  Last year’s story was Mitch Jones and I watched him play this year for the Indianapolis Indians.  He wasn’t nearly as good as in Albaquacky!

31 Responses to “Trent Oeltjen & Russ Mitchell”

1. artie says:

no Sellers for a potential roster spot???

2. Mark Timmons says:

I can’t see it but I have been wrong before.

This is becoming embarrasing. Joe and his other 3 stooges must go. We need Dodger blood to return this franchise to it’s rightful position as of one of the two most revered teams in the history of the game. There is the Dodgers and the Yankees and then the rest. Say goodnight Joe. Your lips are moving but I cannot hear what you say[Pink Floyd]
    If they don’t listen to Joe they sure as heck ain’t going to listen to Mattingly, in which there apparently is already a communication gap.

I think the Dodgers are in trouble if Russ Mitchell is our regular third baseman next year. There is nothing in his minor league numbers to indicate that he would be very much.

But who knows. Maybe he’s a late bloomer. I just can’t take ALBQ numbers very seriously. Same goes for the AFL.

And if Trent Oeltjen is a LH Jason Repko, I’m not impressed. Repko has never hit in the big leagues, with the Dodgers and with the Twins.

Hustle will get you only so far.

If the Dodgers want to go with young players next year, it’s OK with me. But I think that Mitchell and Oeltjen would be a stretch. Unless either one really surprises, I don’t see very much upside in either. Perhaps off the bench, but maybe not even there. Although they may not be ready yet, players like Trayvon Robinson, Jerry Sands, RDLR, and Dee Gordon inspire me with a lot more confidence, or at least, hope. Paul’s quick bat leads me to believe that he only needs more exposure to succeed at the big league level, although his defense gives me pause. I even think that Hu might hit if given a long look, and De Jesus is a prospect with some promise, especially if he continues to recover from that terrible injury he had last year. In his case it would be nice to see his plate discipline return.

A lot will likely depend on how this divorce thing plays out, whether or not the team is sold, who replaces Torre (assuming he doesn’t surprise us and stay), what, if any, participation there is in free agency, along with trades and other player moves. I guess speculating on what might happen is fun, but it’s also an exercise with lots of twists and turns. All I know is that I would like to see more power on the corners and in the outfield. We need some starting pitching, and the bullpen needs some comebacks, some re-building, or a combination of both. And our catching situation needs a positive outcome, be it the return of a re-dedicated and re-juvenated Russell Martin, or something else. Colletti should be busy this winter.

Mark, ever the optimist, sees something when he looks into the eyes of players like Mitchell and Oeltjen. He says Mitchell reminds him of Blake and Oeltjen of Repko. Terrific.

We have, at best, a few B prospects in our system. Many of them will get time in the ML, but I really don’t see any stars among them.

I would say it ALL depends on how the ownership plays out, but I have been saying that for months. The McCourts have been using the Dodgers to live an artificially inflated lifestyle, and now it’s time to pay and they don’t have the money. Fans keep showing up, so, that is good news for them, but I think eventually the fans will see what is going on and the house of cards will fall.

Of course we will field a team next year, but as the NL West improves, I think we can anticipate a few years of, at best, .500 ball. That could change though if the McCourts back out, but, it would appear that these two poker players are “all in” with their hand.

6. Ray says:

BA hung praise on Jerry Sands as he was in their discussion for minor league player of the year-went to Jeremy Hellickson.
    During their chat, BA got this question:
    Darren (Oakland): Who would you pick first, Sands or Belt? Are they similar players?

John Manuel: Now that’s a tough one. My gut says Belt, but the reports we have received are more positive about Sands, who is a solid athlete as well and has more power. It’s pretty much a push right now but I tend to believe a bit more in Belt and like the lefthanded part of the equation for him.

More positive about Sands….will be interesting how he performs in the AFL this fall.

And John Sickels ranks Gordon as the 2nd best SS prospect in the minors behind recently drafted Manny Machado.

I can see Mitchell as a bench player, but not our starting 3bman. Oeltjen is a AAAA guy for me.

7. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Mark gives us like 7 names above that could make the team next season. Well goodie. Because the Dodgers have spent 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 years waiting for Loney, Martin, Broxton, Kemp, Ethier and company to be all they can be — and since the All-Star Game this season — they are really no better than the K.C. Royals or Seattle Mariners; maybe even below them.

I think the present crop in the line-up are faking it. They want Joe and his tribe out. After watching painful game after painful game — major leaguers just cannot play that bad. No way. They do not even get good swings.

Here might be how the game is played. Each AB, a player if their birthday is on an even day, swings with their left eye closed. If their birthday is on an odd day, swings with their right eye closed.

Each relief pitcher is to wear shoes that are too tight — and the pressure that is forced upon each toe — causes them to miss their target by several inches.

Every three days, each player has to wear shorts that are four sizes too small, so that they cannot breath properly.

If you have a better understanding of what is going on with a team that cannot score many runs — or start a rally — or complete a rally — offer it.

8. lawdog says:

Face it guys. Our cupboard is bare down on the farm and our mjor league rostr has bigger holes in it than did the Titanic as it rolled over and plunged under the surface to est at the bottom of the sea.

We are going nowhere until we start stockpiling prospects instead of giving them away for nothing like we’ve been doing. We must have a change in ownership or we’ll become the laughingstocks of baseball. I am a Ram fan and I see a parallel with what happened to that once fine organization. Soon we’ll be like that team, which 6-46 over the last three years–it’s sorry fans cheering every waiver wire pick up and seeing a rookie coaching staff as being the saviors of the organization when there is absolutley no basis for such demented thinking.

The Dogs better wise up because the plunge to the bottom is staring them in the face. Of ourse, how can we wise up with Frankly McCrook and hisdragon lady at the helm? Sorry friends. I think we’re just :shock: ‘d on this!

9. Ray says:

lawdog-step off the ledge…its not that bad. With Kershaw, Billz and Lilly in the rotation next year, that is a solid 1-3.
    I guess you forgot we drafted and signed Zach Lee in the 2010 draft. Oh, and Dee Gordon, Trayvon Robinson and Jerry Sands are getting closer to the majors.

Lilly? Lilly is in the rotation next year? When did that happen?

Gordon, Robinson and Sands on the field at the same time guarantees a sub .500 season. They may eventually be good Major Leaguers, but none of them have played above AA yet, and only one of them hit .300 there. Zach Lee? Are you serious?! He is a high school kid – you have about 4 years to wait for him.

We have Kershaw and Bills on the mound, and some other young guys still under contract but most of them swallowed the proverbial olive this year.

I don’t know that ldog is right, but I think he is closer to the truth than anyone who thinks this organization is any where near on it’s way up.

We need new leadership. The sooner that fact is faced and dealt with, the sooner this worm can turn.

11. Ray says:

Badger-did I say they would be up in the bigs next year? No I did not.
    I was responding to his statement that LAD needs to start stockpiling prospects. We have some solid prospects. Never said I was counting on them next year.
    And it is true that those 3 are close to the majors….probably 2012 for all three. Sands is a better power hitter than Loney and can take a walk. Gordon has speed to burn and has lots of range. I don’t want to hear about his errors this year. I was reading BAs 2010 prospect handbook the other day about Starlin Castro. He made 39 errors last year, and BA stated that that was fine.

Did you hear Lilly wants to return next year and Colletti wants him back? I think there is a very good chance he re-signs with LAD.

12. Ray says:

one more thing…..Logan White seems to think Lee can make it to the majors by the time he is 21….he will turn 19 this year. He could move quick like Kershaw did.

13. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Folks, the sky has fallen. I hate to tell you this, but Kershaw and Bills are in the rotation right now, pitching just fine — but this lineup cannot score runs.

The sky has fallen. Where is a Sky King when you need one. I think I once bought a Sky King Secret Decoder Ring when I was about eight or nine years old. Where is that damn thing.

Badger, the Dodgers are not a .500 club any longer. They are a .496 club and falling.

Here is the problem: I said back in Spring Training — this is a .500 club. These guys cannot follow instructions. I said a .500 club, not a .496 club. Gee, at least they could win one or two games a week. They need to follow instructions. Over and out . . . Wilco

Yeah, I heard Lilly say he wants to be a Dodger. But, he also wants to get paid, and that might be very difficult for the Dodgers to do. Lawyers come first, then Jamie, then maybe a player or two, but not somebody making $10+M clams. Looked like you already have him in the rotation.

As for those other guys? eh, who knows. Maybe. They will most definitely have opportunity sooner rather than later. I hope they are ready.

15. lawdog says:

I can count the number of true prospects in our farm system on one hand, and most of them aren’t anywhere close to being ready to step up and play at the major league level. Ever since we gave away Santana to save a few shekels in the Manny signing in 2008, it’s been all downhill. And it’s not like it’s been a slow descent. We’ve virtually given away all the young talent which was ready to e,erge in the majors in the next year or two for a bunch of stiffs–guys who are over the hill. Geezers. And wannabes and neverweres.

We need 3 starting pitchers, a closer, a third baseman, a shortstop, a second baseman, al left fielder, maybe a center fielder if Kemp can’t pull his head out of his butt. And that says nothing for the rest of the bullpen which is practically toast except for Kuo (who’s arm could fall off any moment) and Jansen.

That’s a mighty big number of holes in our starting lineup my friends. And we’ve only got a very few questionable prospects, mostly below AA and none of them have shown us that there is any basis but pure hope that one of them might suddenly emerge and play at a level that will help the club move back into contention instead of merely holding space on a losing team.

You’ll never find me being unrealistic and optimistic when there is no basis for optimism, but this club is about to fall into St. Louis Rams territory—namely as bad as you can get in your particular sport. And we have owners who have the same morals as Ms. Rosenbloom who had her husband Carole whacked by her mobster boyfriend to take control of the Rams franchise way back when.

It’s time to worry my friends. I’m serious. These are about to become the darkest times the franchise has ever faced or seen The beginning of the recovery starts with the removal of Frankly McCrooked-Bastard and his screaming meany spouse. Until they are gone we have no hope! :shock:

Those of you who think our situation is rosy would make great Ram fans!

16. Ray says:

who, other than Santana, have we given away? McDonald? He stinks. Lambo-he’s not even a top prospect anymore.
    Laroche-he can’t even start in Pittsburgh, and I loved the guy.
    Morris-he’s in AA and looks promising but he’s fragile.

Please name these prospects we have given away.
    Closer=Jansen in my eyes….27 Ks in 16 IP…..hes a closer. Look no further…and oh wait, we didn’t give him away.
    SS=Furcal, with Gordon in 2012….not bad
    3B-I agree-get Beltre

17. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Ray, maybe here is one: “The Josh Bell Show”

That catcher in Cleveland,

And I saw this today:

Looking much beyond here — shows the world just how low the Dodger system has fallen. Logan White and De Jon Watson have a lot to respond to. Also, Tim Hallgren (amateur scouting director), Chris Haydock, Adriana Urzua (player development).

Even those working at Camleback Ranch during the year: John Shoemaker, Lenny Harris, George Culver, and Daisuke Yamashita.

The Dodger have about 200 players playing in the system here and there. Very few blue chips coming along.

Folks, Ned has a very tough job ahead of him.

Bell and Santana were enough for me Ray.

Other moves… letting Wolf and Hudson walk, getting Garland and not really using him, then letting him go to San Diego – where he is pitching very well for under $5 million – Ely and Link for $10 million, McDonald and Lambo for relief pitcher with 4.3 ERA seemed – questionable …. but there have been some ok moves too. I think if Jed was working for someone else, his success rate might be better. And, it might not too. Yes, he does have his work cut out for him.

The Dodgers have some talent in the minors, though most of it is at lower levels and most of it so far is more tools and less production. That could change, but not soon enough to help the financially strapped organization.

If I had to choose, I would say ldog is right. This organization is in serious trouble.

A new owner, very soon, could help that situation. Until then, the Dodgers are not serious players in the off-season free agent market.

19. lawdog says:

What Badger said.

Keep in mind, the Dogs were $448 million in debt as of the start of the McBastard divorce trial–and that ain’t hay!

For those of you who think we’ll sign even medium priced FAs (like 34 year old Lilly at say 3 years for $30 million) please excuse me while i laugh my ass off. Only players willing to “loan” their salaries to McBastard and accept deals which will pay the majority of their salaries long after they’ve retired will even be “possible” targets for signing, and only a fool would sign that kind of a deal now that Frankly’s track record is a matter of public record. The Dodgers have been raped and left for dead by this sick scumbag!

Anyone who plays cards like McBastard has done and constantly mortgages the future to live high on the hog in the present knows that eventually the “day of reckoning” will come. Folks, that day is upon the son of a bitch who owns our beloved team and he’s taking the Dodgers and Jamie down with him. It would have been better for him if he’d taken the respectable way out and simply whacked himself while he still had a modicum of respect in the world.

20. lawdog says:

When the keeper of the the Dodger farm system for the board lists the Dodger “prospects as follows:

Mitchell,

Oeltjen,

Hu,

De Jesus,

Paul,

De La Rosa,

and Robinson,

Well, then you know the future of the franchise is in deep doo doo. :roll:

21. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Without looking it up, when X Paul has been up — he has not really knocked the cover off the ball like a Natural. I remember so-so hitting, and some problems with the flight of the ball in the outfield.

And Paul is one of our prospects that actually has had success in the minors. He has hit well over .300 for three straight years in AAA. Being a good hitter in the minors doesn’t always translate. So those guys hitting .270, .277 and .300 in AA just might have a problem hitting ML pitching.

Have to agree with ldog’s take on the McCourts. I don’t believe Frankie should have offed himself, but the respectable way out now is to just sell everything, including the homes, pay off the debts, divide what is left and go wherever people like them go when they fall from grace.

23. Mark Timmons says:

Don’t hold your breath.

I won’t. They don’t appear to be people capable of doing the right thing.

Luebke? Never heard of him.

25. Lawdog-Funny how you pick Bell’s best day as a major leaguer. Josh Bell has promise, but is off to a very slow start in the majors hitting .219-.232-.328…..he has a whopping 44 strikeouts in 130 at bats and just 2 walks….two.
    was that article about James McDonald? If James McDonald turns into a good major league pitcher, I will be surprised. Laroche? I hope he does turn into a good major leaguer, but so far he has proven to be a major flop.
    I am sure you were upset when Joel Guzman was traded also….what happened to him? sniff the majors? ever?

26. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Heck, I listen to the Dodger line on all the minor leaguers — and believe everything.

Many people missed on LaRoche. He was at one time ranked as an A prospect for us. We don’t see many of those. Same with Guzman – ESPN compared him to Cabrera and Juan Gonzalez. Josh Bell is getting an early look – if he was still with the Dodgers, he would still be buried in AA.

I believe McDonald will eventually be a good ML pitcher. How good, who knows. But from ESPN…… Spin: McDonald struck out three while walking three (two intentional). In 25 innings at home, McDonald features a 2.16 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and .209 opponent’s batting average. McDonald figures prominently in Pittsburgh’s rotation heading into 2011.

I am with those who say “I would not have made that trade”. What for? A middle reliever on a team that can’t hit? Might as well keep the prospects. But, it’s done.

28. ray says:

hadn’t you seen enough of McDonald? It wasn’t like he completely dominated in AAA either.

29. ray says:

getting back to Lilly. Do you think Colletti will spend money this offseason? There is talk in the baseball media that he will, especially after the dismal season this year.
    Colletti has been quoted by Gurnick that he wants a big bat and a new 3bman, and has expressed interest in resigning Lilly.

“hadn’t you seen enough of McDonald?”

He pitched 76 innings in an undefined role for us… so NO, I have not seen enough of him. He is 25 years old with good stuff. Now that he is out of this dysfunctional organization, maybe he can find himself. Maybe not, I just don’t know.

“Do you think Colletti will spend money this offseason?”

Have you been reading the papers lately ray?

No, he will not spend any money this off-season because he doesn’t have any money to spend this off-season.

The Dodgers already have a committed payroll of $88 million and McLessticles has admitted to deliberately reducing payroll out of necessity.

I can’t imagine how payroll will go much above $90 mil for the coming season, if that. We might need to dump a few more contracts, depending on what happens in court.