Of all the glaring weaknesses this year on the Dodgers (and there were many), the biggest weakness was the total lack of a clubhouse leader. They Dodgers did not have a guy who could lead the calvary in a charge over the hill. James Loney isn’t that guy. Matt Kemp sure isn’t that guy. Andre Ethier isn’t that kind of leader. Raffy and Manny? No, they weren’t that guy either. Casey Blake? Nope. The closest guy was Russ Martin, but THE GUY who leads that calvary charge has to be able to talk the talk and walk the walk and Russell couldn’t deliver on the “walk side.”
For 2011, the biggest Dodger need is to to find a leader. THE Clubhouse Leader. THE GUY who can lead the calvary on a charge over the hill. I have made a list of the traits that player has to have and here they are:
- He must be old enough to have been through the wars and situations associated with MLB, but young enough to sign for 4-5 years.
- He must be of a physical stature which intimidates people when he takes off his shirt.
- He must command respect.
- He must have already shown that he is capable of being one of the best players at his position.
- He needs to be a Gold Glove Caliber player, to walk the walk.
- He needs to have been a Top 3 MVP Candidate.
- He needs to be able to steal a base when necessary.
- He need to be coming off a good year.
- He needs to be a Free Agent who doesn’t cost any players.
- He needs to be former Dodger.
- He needs to fill a glaring need.
He needs to be ….
Give a big chunk of money to Beltre and then sign Adam Dunn.
Trade Broxton, DeJesus and Loney for Dustin Pedroia
Non-tender Martin, Theriot and Podsednik.
Offer Lilly arbitration (he won’t take it).
Let Kuroda walk.
Let Padilla walk.
- Furcal SS
- Pedroia 2B
- Ethier RF
- Beltre 3B
- Dunn 1B
- Kemp CF
- Gibbons LF
- Ellis/Barajas C
Bench: Blake, Carroll, Hu, Paul, Mitchell
The Dodgers can do this!