My Two Cents

My Two Cents
  • If you are a Dodger fan, these are truly the “dog days.”  Even a ten game winning streak would bring a Yawn.
  • I like Logan White.  I really do.  But I don’t know if he’s “GM Material.”  And, maybe he knows that too.  Just my opinion, but I think this is the job he is qualified for and maybe the best job he will ever have.  Be careful, Logan.
  • I am a Colts fan and I was concerned about their defense  and offensive line before the season started.  Nothing I see calms my fears.  It might be a long season, and why did the morons bring Bob “I almost made it through the first quarter without an injury” Sanders back?
  • Tampa Rays Record 87-56  1st Place – Payroll $72, 847,133  - New York Yankees Record 87-57 2nd Place – Payroll $213,359,389.  Pathetic!  Need I say more?  Evidently money can’t buy happiness, love and the AL East.  What’s worse than bing a Dodger fan?  I would be so disgraced to be a Yankee fan.  They are so pathetic that they have to outspend their competition by 300 % and and they still can’t do it!

21 Responses to “My Two Cents”

The contrast between the Rays and Yankees should be baseball business 101.
    You can be patient and wait for your farm to produce and once it does you have a never ending supply of fresh product or you can pay exorbident prices for used not young fresh product to fill your needs. I bet the average age comparisons between rosters would be eye popping too. Grow you own man.
    The Colts may have to resort to Arena league football type scores to succeed but they have the right guy with the ball to do that.
    P.S. This team does not have a leader, we’re like a rudderless wayward ship

Why does anyone follow the Dodgers?
    Do you believe me now?

1. The Dodgers are insolvent.
    2. The Dodger team budget is controlled by the league Commissioner’s office.
    3. Every major move that the debt ridden Dodgers consider is controlled by Bud.
    4. Most, if not all, of the Dodger decisions that have been made in the last 2 years support the above conclusions.
    5. Trading for quality players but not being obligated to pay their salary.
    6. Rather compensating the other team with prospects.
    7. Not offering arbitration.
    8. Not signing quality free agents.
    9. Everyone with the same rehearsed story.
    10. Postponing/cancelling Stadium renovations.

I believe!

Well, most of it I think is true. Not sure about Sellout’s continuing role in the catastrophe. I do think he orchestrated the beginning of the end. I believe at present he is still too busy staring at and worshipping his statue (and kissing owners asses) to really be active in anything. As far as I am concerned, he is the commissioner that will be remembered for two things: he gave the Dodgers to an oleaginous rodent and he ushered in and fully supported the steriod era. Thanks… Bud.

Comparing the Rays and the Yankees payroll without noting the differences in income is a capricious exercise. The Yankees MAKE LOTS OF MONEY. The Rays get by. The Rays are worth $320 million – the Yankees are worth $1.5 BILLION. Of course the payrolls are going to be different. I think it’s nice that the Rays have an entertaining team and every now and then threaten, but even their own fans don’t support them and the team most of the experts will pick in the play-offs is…… drum roll please…….. the Yankees. And, if the Dodgers were run right, they could be the West Coast version of that storied franchise. If you recall recent history, when McConfused first took over, he hired a Moneyball guy, suggesting he was going to go the way of the A’s and Rays, but being the mercurial dope that he is, he switched plans in mid stream (after a rash of Dodger injuries buried the team in the standings) and brought in a Sabean trained sycophant to go the route we currently travel. McCourt was clueless from day 1, but he and Jamie did live well.

We are indeed a rudderless ship. Fans unite……… no change will be made until we the people decide to insist on it. Stop going to games.

4. lawdog says:

Good to hear from you again Ken. As usual, you are on the money on all points. As is Badger.

And what happens to Tampa Bay when their young, still not too expensive players become eligible for bigger paydays? Some I imagine will end up on the Yankees. Maybe if the Dodgers get a new owner some of them might move west.

If Badger’s numbers are correct (and I’m guessing they are), then using the ratio of team value to payroll, the Rays’ payroll would be approx. five times greater (about $360,000,000) if their value was equivalent to the Yankees.

And by the way, money did buy a championship last year. Money isn’t everything, and there are occasional exceptions to the rule (usually short-lived), but it sure doesn’t hurt to have it. Maybe money doesn’t insure victory, but not having any often dooms a team to losing. What are the Pirates doing this year? Last year? The year before that? And so on.

Forgot about Carl Crawford. If he leaves after this season, will Tampa continue its winning ways? You can rest assured that if he was a Yankee (which he may be next season) he would have likely been locked up by now in a multi-year deal.

Would be nice if the Dodgers get off to a fast start next year.

The numbers came from Forbes Brooklyn. I don’t know how current they are, but the point is exactly what you illustrated – the Rays HAVE to do things the way they do and the Yankees CAN do things any way they want. Payroll is relative. And let’s face it, the Yankees fill parks wherever they go – the Rays play before sparse crowds anywhere they go. The Yanks average 46+K at home, 41K on the road the Rays are 22K and 24K. And let’s also remember the cable contract. The Yankees are the New York Freakin’ Yankees. Everybody else, including the Dodgers now, shine the Yankees shoes.
    Money isn’t everything, but it sure beats what comes in second. And the thing is, the teams that have the highest payroll also have the highest attendance figures. Doesn’t that make sense?

The Dodgers always have one of the top 3 attendance marks. There is no excuse for payroll dropping out of the top 3. I don’t want to hear the lame stories about how the Rays and the A’s win without drawing fans. We don’t have the infrastructure in place to do it they way do it and frankly we really shouldn’t need to do it that way. What? because we have a dysfunctional reprobate owner sucking money from every corner of the company we should develop a Rays business paradigm? F that. Get rid of the owner and get somebody in there that runs the place like the Boss did the Yankees.

9. Mark Timmons says:

OK, let’s assume the Dodgers are insolvent! What does that mean? It simply means that you move your assets and cut costs. The Dodgers could easily cut $100 million off of payroll and expenses next year. They would say goodbye to the following players:

Billingsley
    Loney
    Ethier
    Broxton
    Kemp
    Kuo

This could be your lineup next year:

1. Furcal SS
    2. DeJesus 2B
    3. Robinson CF
    4. Blake 1B
    5. Gibbons LF
    6. Mitchell 3B
    7. Paul RF
    8. Ellis C

Rotation:

1. Kershaw
    2. Ely
    3. Haeger
    4. Monasterios
    5. DeLaRosa

I know most of you want Frank gone, but unless the Court does something crazy, it won’t happen and if you have an asset worth $750,000 mil are you just going to walk away? I think not.

You will cut scouts, managers, players, front office and other expenses and build for the future while 2.5 mil fans continue to attend the games.

You had better hope the Dodgers aren’t insolvent, because if they are, Frank can fix that really quick and tread water until 2013 when he can get a TV deal.

Frank ain’t going away!

Deal with it.

Do you want some cheese with that whine?

Why do you consider telling it like it is whining? Isn’t exactly what a few of us predicted happening right before your eyes?

It is what it is. And what you describe above could easily happen. Like I said earlier, I think the McCourts will come to what is left of their senses and settle this thing before the court can rule on it – and we will be stuck with a guy who is in debt up past the same gluteals you have your lips wrapped around Mark. The only way he gets out of this is the cable deal you talk of, and that ain’t happening for another two years, and even then, he will have to split the money with Jamie. The best way out of this for all Los Angeles Dodger fans is for the McCourt’s to sell. And this jackass is just too stubborn to do that.

He might as well go get DePodesta again.

And he ain’t getting any of my money.

I am dealing with it mover. This is how I deal with – I don’t buy anything Dodgers and I express my anger through writing. Call it whatever you want, I really don’t care.

So drop and give me 500. You keep making bets with me and you will win all your local fitness challenges.

11. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

Already did – One day – September 1st!

I just deal in reality and while I would like to have The Boss as owner, it ain’t happening.

Let’s hope he isn’t insolvent because if he is, it will be a long 2 years!

12. Jared Massey says:

If the commissioners’ office controls the Dodgers’ finances, why would it sign off on giving a teenager $5.25 million?

Actually if he’s insolvent it will be a long THREE years. McCourt tied the Dodgers to FOX for 10 years after the purchase. In other words, from 2004 THRU 2013. They’re free from the FOX TV restrictions beginning in 2014.

If you have an asset worth $750 million you just might walk away from it. That is, if the asset’s worth translates into real cash that washes away your debt and still leaves you with a few bucks in the bank to live in the style you’ve grown accustomed. You might even get more than the team’s worth if the buyer deems that the asset will continue to appreciate over time. A well heeled investor would probably be willing to pay a premium for a property like the Dodgers, which has more than just the potential to become the Yankees of the West.

Meanwhile, while I would prefer to see the Dodgers wind up among the bottom 15 MLB teams this year, I still couldn’t root against Kershaw tonight. Hopefully, the command he exhibited tonight is a harbinger of things to come. It wasn’t the best stuff I’ve ever seen him have, but it was certainly the best game I’ve ever seen him PITCH.

14. Mark Timmons says:

That’s an excellent point Jared! The commish wouldn’t allow them to pay over slot!

Sorry for not posting in a day or more. We are now in NW Ariz in Navajo land. Very remote.

Other teams and fans must be laughing like crazy about the situation the Dodgers are in.

Players in down years. Some talking about liking to leave. Who would ever want to sign for the Dodgers as a FA that is worth a darn??

Mark’s lineup would not be KC or the Pirates over a 10 game series.

Interesting development. But I think Badger, Lawdog, and myself have seen this coming an posted so — right here.

The commish wouldn’t allow them to overpay for that slot? Are you serious? The commish wouldn’t do anything, anytime, anywhere. He is in the owners pocket, only comes out periodically to admire his statue.

1 hit and 1 unearned run, but we beat the dreaded gints. And, I take it all back – Kershaw is an elite ace. He is too young to be doing what he is doing, but he is doing it. I was wrong.

You did 500 push-ups in one day? uh, yeah, ok.

Mark, have you been reading anything over at DodgerDivorce? Under oath, McBorrow has laid it all out. He is over $420 million in debt and has been using the Dodgers as his private piggy bank so he and Jamie can live an artificially inflated lifestyle. All those Republican jokes I have laid out here weren’t just to jab you, they were in fact exactly what McDebt has done – borrow and spend and esxtend the debt out for someone else to pay. Frankie got laid open by Boies when he was on the stand – it is all there to see.

The situation – and actually this debt explanation comes from September of last year, but, if the numbers have changed, they have to be worse:

“In April 2009, Forbes estimated the value of the franchise (including surrounding land) as $722 million with a debt total a little shy of $420 million. Where does that $420 million come from? I’ve been told the $75 million to Major League Baseball is mostly gone, which leaves quite a difference between the $250 million private placement we know about and the $420 million Forbes reported. My guess? The private placement facility was expanded considerably as the real estate bubble grew and everyone thought our property would appreciate forever.

The McCourts’ equity in the Dodgers is likely somewhere in the $250-350 million range. Assuming Jamie’s $400 million estimate of the couple’s other assets is correct, that makes the couple’s net worth approximately $700 million, not quite the $1.2 billion suggested by Jamie. And is it that unreasonable to think that her $400 million “other assets” figure might have omitted debt, just as the $800 million Dodgers figure did? It’s entirely possible the couple’s net worth is much closer to $500 million–still a very healthy amount, but one that poses significant problems for either of the two to own the Dodgers without the other. We don’t know nearly enough about the McCourts’ other personal assets to draw any hard conclusions, but all of the significant residential assets are mortgaged or otherwise pledged in various financing facilities

Conclusion: so what do we know?

We know that the McCourts aren’t worth anything close to the $1.2 billion Jamie suggests. At most, the couple seems to have something approaching $750 million in total net worth ($400 million in “other assets plus ~$350 million in equity in the Dodgers). However, it is my guess, based on the loan balances due on the residences and their history of operating heavily-leveraged businesses, that the couple’s net worth is under $600 million.”

They aren’t worth any where near what they would have peole believe. Even if they do work this divorce out, there may be a call of several of their leveraged assets.

And this is the guy you want to own the Dodgers. I hope your access is worth it, cuz the Dodgers aren’t going anywhere for the next 4 years.

17. Mark Timmons says:

I read Dodger Divorce all the time.

Some people confuse opinion with fact.

Finally, what I write has no bearing on my access to the Dodgers. As long as I conduct myself in a professional manner, it makes no difference what I write. Jon Weisman called the Dodgers liars and he’s still welcome anywhere there.

The Dodgers don’t try and muzzle anyone and anyone who knows me, should know that wouldn’t work anyway.

Frankly, I really don’t care all that much about “access” – I’d rather watch a game with my son, than in the pressbox. Been there, done that, and it’s not “all that”!

I will pass judgement on Dodger Ownership when I have all the facts and the Divorce Decree is FINAL!

I can’t waste my time on speculation about that, especially when neither side is truthful.

“Some people confuse opinion with fact.”

And some people just can’t face the facts.

I believe you when you say you don’t care about the access issue. I apologize for that inference. But what has been exposed in these divorce hearings are not opinions, these are statements under oath. These are asset admissions and evaluations exposed in court documents. If the McCourts think they can continue to bedazzle with bullsh*t they are sadly mistaken. The truth is coming out.

It is my opnion that the facts of this case clearly expose this McCourt feller to be a slimebag of the highest order. And the product on the field has deteriorated commensurate with the disclosure of the owners true character. And, it is my opinion that this fall will continue for months, even years to come.

You will pass judgment when all the facts are in? What you see is not enough? OK. You will come in last in this endeavor, but, at least you will finish. The rest of us will be waiting for you.

19. lawdog says:

If Jamie’s estimate of the value of the other assets of the Dodgers is $750 million, take it with a grain of salt. Almost ll of tht is invested in under water real estate the mccourt’s levereged themselves into during the real estate bubble. It might be worth less than 100 million. It might be worth less than is owed if I know the McCheapBastards… :roll:

With the continuing red tape, and it’s huge magnitude, that characterizes the Dodgers operations the McCourt’s could well be bankrupt right now. :shock;

20. lawdog says:

That’s :shock: , not :shock;

21. Ray says:

leave it to BAdger to bring politics into a discussion about the Dodgers…..get over it. Obama is OTO in my opinion-One Term Obama.