It’s Time for Dodger Fans to Accessorize

It’s Time for Dodger Fans to Accessorize

Joe Torre lost this team sometime after the All-Star Break, and now they are just mailing it in, waiting for the season to end.

The Latest Dodger Gear - 100% off at the Gift Shop

Pictured to the right is the latest accessory for all Dodger fans.

Some of you will undoubtedly blame this on the McCourt Court Fiasco, but I remember a Marlin team winning a Wold Series when they had about 6 people in the stands and the rumors were swirling madly.

I put this debacle squarely upon the backs of Joe Torre and the coaching staff.

All of the vestiges of this debacle must be eradicated  as soon as the season is over.

It needs to be announced RIGHT NOW that Joe Torre’s contract and his coaches contracts will not be renewed next year.

Joe is holding off tipping his hand as to what his plans are.  Tip your hat, Ned.  Say “thanks, but no thanks.   Don’t let the doorknob hit you on the way out.”

… and if they quit now (which is my preference) Tim Wallach is at the ready!

Oh, and Ned, don’t get too comfortable!

This is a black mark on Joe Torre’s Hall-Of-Fame Career!

Like a lot of players, he left a year too late!

Accessorize now!

47 Responses to “It’s Time for Dodger Fans to Accessorize”

1. ebbetsfld says:

Couldn’t agree with you more, Mark, but I might give a pass to Mariano Duncan and Kenny Howell!

There is plenty of blame to go around.

Kemp sucked. Ethier never regained his form. We needed another solid starter. Furcal went down. Blake has hit even below his .265 career average with little or no power for a corner infielder, Manny wasn’t Manny post-steroid, second base was a revolving door, and Joe never did figure it all out. He could have used some power help at the deadline, he could have used another starter, his pen fell apart….. this team just underperformed.

But, if you will remember, there were those in here who predicted this. Roger, Ldog and I all said things need to go perfectly for this team to win, and things were far from perfect. Roger even predicted .500 – and he was right on. You still won’t admit that we have an ownership problem, and that in my opinion is a flaw in your logic. How can such an embarrassment upstair NOT spill out on the field?

A new manager could help. But don’t be surprised if it doesn’t.

Maybe these two guys would be interested in buying the Dodgers:

You have to admit, if we had $28 billion behind us, there would be no need to worry about a big bat at the deadline.

Someone forgot to say Broxton sucked.

Thanks Bill. You are right.

So did Haeger, so did Slichting, so did Belliard, Ely, Elbert, Anderson, Castro, Sherrill, Ortiz, Paul……….

6. Idaho al says:

Well said Mark. I still believe there is talent on this team. You cannot get rid of all the ball players. The manager and coaches have to go. I cannot believe Torre will stay. Tim Wallach needs to be the new manager.

I do not care for Colletti, but I believe he has tried hard to put a good team on the field. He did not have any money to purchase some good ball players. The players he obtained in July were fringe players, but nothing that was going to make a big impact. When I listen to ESPN, the reporters kept saying that the Dodgers could not take on any more salary. I think this is one of the reasons this team fell apart. They saw nothing being done to help them win. Getting rid of Manny for four million and no player in return is an example of what Colletti had to deal with all year. However, that does not give the players the right to quit.

7. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

You folks are way over-reacting. The team has 22 games left, heck, they could win 2 or even as many as 3 of those games.

What are we learning now . . .

The big four: Kershaw, Billingsley, Padilla, and Kuroda — are being OUTPITCHED game after game.

Dodgers have a closer problem.

All of the hitters, all, have had a meltdown.

Mark, not just mailing it in — but I think not even trying. And if they are — and if this were May or June, then some of these guys need to go to AAA for some seasoning.

But in reality, the guys faced a potential 20 game winner this season in — no, wrong Luebke won his first game, ever, in the majors last night. And it was only the 2nd game he ever started.

8. Mark Timmons says:

Badger said:

Response:

1. Yes, some predicted it, but that is their prediction every year.

2. The prediction was based mostly upon lack of starting pitching, which has not been the main problem – Our starters are in the TOP 5 in baseball.

3. AS Jon Weisman pointed out, the Dodgers have one of the worst records in ALL of baseball since June 9th.

4. Our hitters have dramatically “underperformed” this year. Manny and Raffy were hurt, but Kemp and Ethier were two of the highest rated outfielders in baseball and both have flopped compared to expectations. Also, Loney and Martin have stagnated.

5. Insofar as ownership, I will say what I said before: Asking for a new owner is like asking for a new president now. It ain’t happening now. That’s fantasy NOW. It could change and if it does, I am all in. But right now, it ain’t happening! Why waste time talking about something that may never be on the table? Deal with reality.

The reality is that ownership is affecting the team right now, but it’s not the cause of their failures!

• fwiw-reading Keith Law today, here is his thoughts on mccourt:

Oscar (Los Angeles)

Keith, thoughts on the McCourt’s divorce proceeding? How could MLB allow them to buy the team knowing their limited financial resources?
      Klaw (1:53 PM)

The bigger question is how long till MLB pushes them to sell. It’s the best outcome for everyone.

Asking for a new owner is NOTHING like asking for a new president Mark. Where does that come from? You don’t ASK for a new president, you VOTE every 4 years. If we could do that for ownership, the McCourts would be LONG GONE.

And we know you guys on the right who make more than a quarter million dollars a year don’t like the new president. You have made that very clear. I don’t make enough money to relate to the Republican Party and the likes of John Boner. Wish I did.

I will admit I thought our team would hit better. But the point that you continue to miss is that many of us felt something was wrong with how this team was built. I said early and often I thought the Phillies and Cardinals were better than the Dodgers. I said we would miss Wolf and Hudson, and we have. Many of us also felt the Braves would be good, the Rockies would be good, the Giants would be much better – and there are always the surprise teams – this year it’s the Reds and the Padres.

And to believe that our starting pitching is ranked that high is rather silly. We have 3 solid starters and after that we have tried Haeger, Padilla, Monastarios, Ely, McDonald… we got lucky with Lilly but those other guys have been very iffy. Padilla is the best with 16 starts. The pen has been up and down, and the Dodgers are currently 7th in the league in pitching. Actually not bad considering how up and down it has been.

There are holes on this team you could drive your Lexus through Mark. And one of the biggest holes is at the top of this organization. Many of us said early and often that a divorce like this one (remember Moores) could possibly bring this team down. And guess what…. we were right.

• Badger-I don’t understand throwing in the Republican bash within your post above. What is your objective here?

I don’t believe I was talking to you little ray, but since you asked….. Mark is a long time Republican who likes to take jabs at me (and Democrats) now and then. He has done it for years. I jab back.

10. Mark Timmons says:

I don’t drive a Lexus!

My wife has a 2008 Town and Country, a 1991 Miata and I drive a 2003 Ford Pickup. All paid for. I am nothing like Frank McCourt and I do not like Frank McCourt.

Sorry to shatter your illusions.

11. lawdog says:

Say what?

I also predicted an 81-81 finish this year unless all the planets aligned and everything fell magically into place–in which case we’d win 85-90 games and maybe compete for the wild card. I guess most folks here forget my predictions because they are usually negative and surrounded with more than a little hysteria. The Dodgers are right where i expected them to be this year if there were any bumps in the road–like there almost always are.

But I don’t always predict .500 seasons or worse disasters for our team. I expected to go to the world seies last year until Manny got caught steroiding. I even predicted we’d beat the As and win it all before the season started in 88 after we’d finished dead last in 87, but that was back when I was young and optimistic. You’ll rarely see me buying into “glass half full” fantasies anymore, (more’s the pity–that kind of thinking leads one to happier times.)

I’ve been wearing that bag over my head when rooting for my Ram team for the last 3 years. It was easy to dust it off and put it on this year when th Dogs started dogging it after the All Star break this season.

The Dodgers are becoming the Rams of major league baseball. 6-46 would not be beyond the realm of possibility if we only played once a week. But look at the Ram roster and start counting the holes. After 3 years of drafting near the top they have serious problems at RB, WR, OT, TE, OG, OLB, DT, DE, CS and SS. And that doesn’t even consider special teams. Howe do you fill up holes like that with no money? Thats the Rams problem. They are a team that has been running in the red for years and no FA wants to join them unless he’s grossly overpaid.

Now consider our Dogs, who are now $448 million dollars in debt thanks to the looting and raping of the team by their owners, the McBastards. As I indicated yesterday, they mow have just 2 quality starters coming back to them next season in C-Bills and Kurveshaw. They have major holes at catcher, third base, shortstop, second base and left field. They have no closer and the only bright spots in the pen are Jansen and Kuo (who’s pitching arm might fall off any minute.) And what about the farm? It’s already been liquidated in past trades for geezers, wannabes and never-weres. :roll:

Folks, the McBastards have milked this team for every last cent they could leverage and now it is in the process of dying a long slow death of seasons where .500 would make us all cheer. Maybe the death penalty for them is too extreme, but i’m mad as hell at them for misusing and abusing this, what was once the finest franchise in the game under O’Malley.

The Rams have a new owner and new hope (finally.) They’ll be cheering madly if they win 5 out of 16 this year. But the Dogs future will continue to be bleaker than bleak until we somehow manage to clear out the McBastards and get an owner with money who cares about the product we present on the field. :shock:

12. lawdog says:

That’s CB–not CS. (Although it could be said that the Rams have a CS, or chicken shit, team.)

13. lawdog says:

The Rams have holes in 10 out of 22 starting positions. We have problems in 18 out of 25 roster spots. That’s a similarity that is too close to just ignore.

14. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Wearing a bag over our head . . .

We went on a 5 day vacation to Northern New Mexico last month. I did not take my Dodger hat – too embarrassed. So i took my Baltimore hat with the big O on the front. Remember Mark, I bought that one at the game in Fr. Lauderdale, what, 4 years ago.

While waiting to take an historic train ride (Northern N.M.) — we were at the depot / station . . . I was wearing the Baltimore hat, and a guy came over to me and grabbed me by the shoulders and said: “How long has it been since we had a good team.” Now, I had to remember that I was wearing the Baltimore hat. “Back to the good guys . . . those were the days.” He had tears in his eyes.

During the 8 hour day, we chatted several times. He still thinks I was from the Baltimore area — and a real fan of “the home team” as he put it.

Now — we leave Monday morning next week for an Navajo Indian Reservation in N.E. Arizona — for a photography workshop. I will leave my Dodger hat at home and wear the Baltimore one.

One reason, they are playing pretty good ball under their new manager. But in reality I am wearing a bag over my head by not wearing the Dodger hat.

15. Ely's Coming, Better Hide Your Haeger says:

Embarrassed… bags over your head…. a little off the deep end don’t you think?

I want to win… but I’m never embarrassed to be a Dodger fan. I may be disappointed or upset. I may hate the way the season has gone…. I may want to throw things at the owners or the players because they aren’t trying as hard as they should. I

The Dodgers are my kid. I don’t need them to be great, I don’t need them to be perfect all I care is that they come home every night. As long as I have a team to root for… that makes me feel something, whether it’s happiness or joy or anger and disappointment… I’ll never be embarrassed.

Because here’s a little known fact…. no matter what happens this season…. sometime in the middle of February a large group of men wearing blue are going to make a trip to Glendale Arizona and do this all over again. Anything can happen after that.

Stop acting like this is the end of the world. Stop acting like this team will never have a chance to be competitive regardless of who the manager, players or owners.

Be upset, be angry, be disappointed…. but embarrassed? by a baseball team not performing well, by the McCourts… and based on what I’ve read, they suck…. but their actions don’t make me embarrassed to be a Dodger fan.

I’m a fan of the front of the jersey… not the back, not the person who makes the jersey and not the people who make decisions about who wears the jersey.

16. Jared Massey says:

Badger, I don’t see how you can seriously call Kershaw, Billingsley and Kuroda “solid”. All 3 are Top 20 in FIP. If that’s “solid”, then I suppose they’d have to share the Cy Young every year for you to call them “good.”

Roger, the only reason they’re being “outpitched” is because opposing pitchers are facing the second worst lineup in MLB since the All Star break. That’s right. The Dodgers have scored a whopping 167 runs in the second half. Only the Seattle Mariners have scored less.

17. SpokaneBob says:

Well said EC,

Some guys are just fair weather fans. But if you are a Dodger fan in your heart, you live and die with the team. Players, coaches and even owners come and go. There are good times and bad. I still wear the colors and I always will.

Very good Mark. Just yesterday I was thinking that if I wore my Dodger Tee it would be akin to walking around with a kick me note stuck on my back.
    We are so bad this year that I don’t even think we could play the role of a spoiler.
    Say goodnight Joe

19. lawdog says:

Fair weather fan, eh? I’ve been a die hard Dodger fan since they moved to the left coast when I was 8 years old, 52 years ago. They finished last that first season as well. Call me anything you want, just don’t call me late for dinner. And a fair weather fan I’m not. If I don’t qualify as a true blue Dodger fan, then nobody alive outside of Tommy Lasorda would qualify.

From Tom Krasovic in his column this morning for those of you who missed it:

Without leaving Milwaukee, Bud Selig may have a chance to assist West Coast baseball.

“Heard this from a major league executive: Milwaukee Brewers owner Mark Attanasio has interest in becoming owner of the Dodgers, who could end up on the market after the McCourt ownership dispute is resolved. I was unable to reach Attanasio at his Los Angeles office, and I know Attanasio is still energetic about building the Brewers. But if commissioner Selig placed Attanasio in Los Angeles, advantage, Dodgers. It would also be a measure of redemption for Selig, who steered the McKooks into ownership of the Dodgers in 2004 The Brewers became relevant after Attanasio bought them from the Selig family for $180 million in late 2004.”

• Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

Answer me this the ldog… Are you embarrassed to be a Dodger fan right now? You have every right to be angry, upset and disappointed… but embarrassed? I just don’t see how you can ever feel that way about one of the greatest organizations in the history of sports.

20. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Jared, I hear you about Bills & Clayton — but they are still being out-pitched. If they pitched a shutout — they could win 1 to 0 in 14 innings of something. But giving up even a run or two with this team — you loose. That is being out-pitched. I look at wins / losses.

• haha…wins and losses is not the way to evaluate pitchers. there are too many things that can happen that go into a TEAM win or loss. You have to look at ERA, WHIP, FIP, xFIP, K/BB, K/9, K/100 pitches…..that will tell you how well a pitcher has performed.
      Latos outpitched Kershaw the other night, sure. But Billz got beat due to some bad fielding.

• Jared Massey says:

I remember the Dodgers winning a game against the Angels when Jered Weaver threw a no-hitter. I suppose he was “outpitched.”

Putting the onus solely on the pitcher to win a game is unfair. There are 8 other guys out there who have to contribute.

21. Mark Timmons says:

Ely/Haeger,

I am embarrassed to be a Dodger fan right now. I am not going to quit being one, but it is embarrassing and needs to be fixed.

I can still be a fan and be embarassed. It is unacceptable!

Jon Weisman, as usual Nailed it:

I am embarrassed by what the owner has done to this team. I am never embarrassed to be a Dodger fan. I go back too far to say that. But, the way this team has underperformed, and the unctuously slimey behaviors of the owner of this team is not only an embarrassment to long time Dodger fans, but it is an embarrassment to Major League Baseball.

Jared, Kershaw is our best pitcher – right? He is currently 27th in IP, 16th in ERA and tied for 41st (with Randy Wolf and Bills) in wins. I don’t consider those numbers elite, maybe you do. Our other starters that even show up on the stat sheets, Bills and Kuroda are down the list. So, yeah, I say those three are solid, but none are spectacular.

Mark, I thought I saw a Lexus SUV parked in your driveway. Sorry about that.

• please don’t look at WINS….wins are a meaningless stat for starting pitchers. How many times has Kershaw or Bills held our opponent to just a few runs, leave with the lead, and the bullpen blows it?
      Kershaw for a 22 year old pitcher, is much better than solid. Give me a break. He is elite, and he is a step away from being an ace.

Badger-Jaime Garcia has 13 wins, Kershaw and Felix hernandez have 11 apiece. Is Garcia a BETTER pitcher than Felix and Kershaw?

“wins are a meaningless stat for starting pitchers”

Really? I have never, ever, in my whole life, heard anyone say that before. So all this time, I thought wins were important. Silly me.

Kershaw is good, but not great… yet. And if you look, I didn’t just use wins to make my evaluation. There are a lot of elite pitchers in this league and Kershaw just isn’t one of them. Not in my opinion. He should get there within a few years, but we have not seen the best of Clayton Kershaw yet.

oh, and one more thing ray….

“He is elite, and he is a step away from being an ace.”

you’re not making any sense man…

So, in your world, you can be elite but not an ace? The very definition of elite is “the choice or best of anything”

I would think that if Kershaw is “the best” he IS the ace. You don’t agree?

• So, the pitcher with the most wins should win the Cy Young award every year? far from it. Tim Lincecum didn;t have the most wins last year and he won the CY award.
          Felix should win in the AL because he is the best pitcher in the AL, but he won’t because he only has 11 wins.
          Wins are not a good stat to evaluate how well a pitcher has pitched.
          Kershaw is elite because of how well he is pitching at such a young age. He would have just graduated college had he not signed out of HS.
          He is not an ace yet…very close.

OK, fair enough. He is the ace of this staff, that’s for sure.

Oeltjen, Lindsey and Mitchell are a combined 0 for 10. They fit right in, don’t you think?

I need some sleep. Carry on and solve this problem will you please?

23. lawdog says:

Weisman’s summary is excellent Mark. Thanks for the link.

As or Ely’s question, I am totally embarrassed by the McSleezies, Joe Torre’s air head managing and the way our team has simply mailed it in since the end of July.

I’m also madder than hell at the lot of them.

This once was the greatest sports organization in the world under Walter O’Malley, and it was still above average even during the dark days we were owned by Rupert and the dark side of the force. But what we have now is nothing short of two criminals owning the team and looting it for everything it has so they can live a lifestyle they’ve neither earned nor deserve. To support such a franchise which permits the continued criminal conduct of the owners is very embarrassing. And unacceptable. :mad:

• Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

Your embarrassed by the people running the Dodgers… we get that…. but are you embarrassed to be a Dodger fan? I understand your anger and frustration and righteous indignation. I doubt you’d find anyone to argue with you on that. This team has been a disaster this year.

Do you think if the Dodgers get a new owner, this person won’t ever have personal or professional issues, we’ll never struggle again or the team won’t ever mail it in again? Do you think if we get a new manager, he won’t make mistakes or do things that we as fans don’t understand. You make it seem that all our problems will go away if McCourt, Torre and Colletti go away.

I just think embarrassed is way to strong a word
      Y

24. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Boy, this is a tough group. If you use a smart phone, then think smart about what I said way above:

I am embarrassed to be a Dodger fan — this season. Embarrassed.

Since some of you were not tuned in above — the Dodgers have been since the late 1940s, one of the best teams and organizations to work for in major league baseball. Before 1946 or so, they were indeed the bum’s. A second rate club most of the first half of the 20th century.

In 1998 when O’Malley sold the team to the Fox group — since that time there have been problems in the front office and in the system. McCourt bought the team in 2004 — and yes, some nice finishes in 2008 and 2009 — but now the chickens have come home to roost. And there are broken eggs all over the place. Watch where you step.

Because of the McCourt – Mr. and Mrs. war — the money is not there to make signing that have been necessary, trades, and other things in the continually building of a solid team.

I have very good friends that have razzed me since the All-Star Game about how bad the Dodgers are. One long time friend (47 years I have known him) is a K.C. fan and tells me the Royals are better than the bums.

I have had kids, youth in public places make comments in public when I am wearing my Dodger hat or a Dodger shirt — “their terrible, their no good.”

So to be clear, this season, the present owner — embarrass me. That does not mean I stopped being a Dodger fan. But it is indeed time to put on the bag.

Gee, they are loosing again tonight. The feel about the Dodgers now is this, this is a sinking ship. Key players ineffective, manager and coaching staff (most of them) not work in sinc with this club. Not much in the minors to brag about.

Spoke Bob, I am living and dying with this team, but the flag is not flying very high. Under .500 is very hard to do. But the Dodgers are doing it.

Well said Roger.

It would appear this team is a reflection of it’s owner… no heart. It looks to me like they are mailing it in.

25. Jared Massey says:

So Torre won’t bat Lindsey against another righty, but he’ll bat Loney against a lefty with the bases loaded when Loney’s hitting just .216 against them? It’s almost like he wants to get canned.

26. Mark Timmons says:

I am not embarrassed by the McCourts – they only embarrass themselves. I am embarrassed by the play of the Dodgers on the field. There is only one finger pointing and that is at Torre. Joe Torre did not have this team ready to play in the Spring. It all started when Joe let Don Mattingly do all the managing in the Spring. It was a country club atmosphere and it showed then and it shows now.

Send the Damn Yankee back to NY.

We are Dodgers!

Get a real Dodger back here to manage the club!

The Dodger Way!

Cut the crap!

27. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Hey Badger, you said to Mark above:

“Mark, I thought I saw a Lexus SUV parked in your driveway. Sorry about that.”

Do you still have a contract with that the guy you told me about, that was keeping an eye on Mark? What was his name, Harry the Hammer?

Harry is semi-retired. I could give him a call though, and get him back on the case.

But I thought for sure I saw a picture of his house and a white Lexus SUV sitting in the driveway. Must have been mistaken, or, he maybe he sold it?

I would agree that Torre has lost control of this group. This is as uninspired a group of Dodger players I have ever seen. I sure would like to know what they really think of the man who signs the checks. How can this team have any respect for a man who has come out and admitted what Frankie the Wharf Rat has.

29. Long Live Vin says:

Tim Wallach is a nice guy…but that’s what we already have…we need a manager who wants to fight. If it can’t be Mike Scioscia, then please let it be someone with some heart. Someone who, if Barry Bonds did a little spin after hitting a home run (remember?), would grab a bunch of bats and start heading over to the Giants dugout…without giving a shit. I’m tired of nice guys…give me someone who would send Kemp to Kansas City for a buck (or the real Buck, or Soria), just to make a point. I’m tired of being pushed around…wear Dodgers jerseys on the inside, but have Raider t-shirts on the inside. Dig down deep and pull “them” back up. Tim Wallach…please no.

30. Jared Massey says:

Want a manager who can fire a team up? That guy in Arizona might do the trick.

31. SpokaneBob says:

Ldog,

Not refering to you. But the guy wearing the Baltimore hat rather than be identified as a Dodger fan.

32. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Spoke Bob, you need some more information. Lack of information can kill a person.

I collect baseball hats. I have about 28 different baseball hats. I wear them all at different times. Watering the grass, driving in my car, on vacation, going to games, going to the market or other stops around town, etc. Sometimes I take four or five different hats to games and change them every inning. Gets some great conversation with others there about baseball.

I know you do not like me because I am a liberal. But please ask me if you can talk about me before you do. I know Harry the Hammer…