If You Can’t Teach Your Son To Hit…

If You Can’t Teach Your Son To Hit…

how is the blazes can you manage a major league team?

Manager Material or What?

If you are a failure as a hitting coach, how can you manage a major league team?

If you can’t fill out a lineup card and have the hitters bat in that order, how can you manage a major league team?

If you don’t know any better than to visit the mound twice in one inning, how can you manage a major league team?

Answer:  You Can’t!

Pick one:

1. Gibson
  2. Scioscia
  3. Wallach

10 Responses to “If You Can’t Teach Your Son To Hit…”

He looks like a guy who ate one too many catfish.

I would take Scioscia. But if he isn’t available, I’ll take Gibson. And if he stays in Arizona I’ll take……Wallach I guess. He was the Triple-A Pacific Coast League Manager of the Year and Baseball America ’s “Best Manager Prospect” last year. Not sure how well he did this year, but, probably just fine.

2. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Details . . . details. You are talking about the small things.

Hey, the Dodgers are going to have to get on a heck of a winning streak just to get back to .500.

3. Mark Timmons says:

Who cares?

If you can’t win it all, you might as well be 0- 162!

I think 0-162 would net us the first pick in the draft.

And that would be a good thing.

5. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Another nail bitter tonight.

But I promise all Dodger fans. One game before the end of the season, the Dodgers (2010 version) will score a bunch of runs. I promise. I called Joe and he promised me. I e-mailed Tony and he is ready with a story.

6. ebbetsfld says:

I agree Donny Ballgame is not a good choice, but I don’t think Preston’s inability to hit should be a criteria for Don’s assessment. Your other points are well taken. I’d love to see Wallach as manager with Gibby as bench coach. I’d also like to see John Shoemaker get a shot as well as Juan Bustabad.

“If you can’t teach your son to hit…” he probably doesn’t have the ability. It’s got nothing to do with managing. That said, I’ve noted in the past that I don’t want Mattingly as our manager. Of the names mentioned my choice is Scioscia. Of the others, I have no order of preference.

0-162 would definitely net us the # 1 pick, unless they still have the #1 pick alternate each year between leagues. I don’t believe that’s the case anymore. By the way, that’s what got us Darren Dreifort instead of A-Rod way back in the early ’90′s.

Watching the games is getting painful. I keep hoping we lose, but find myself rooting for players to succeed during the games (except guys like Dotel, Blake, and the like). Why do I want us to lose? It’s really simple. The more we lose the higher we pick in next years draft, and if the Dodgers should happen to sign any Type A free agents, I would like for them to be among the bottom 15 teams in MLB, since those teams are exempt from losing draft picks when they sign such players. As it stands now, we’re going to end up with a draft pick somewhere at or near the middle of the first round. If at all possible, I’d like us to be able to hold onto such a pick. But I also want us to be active in the free agent market. And there’s the rub.

By the way, next years draft is supposed to be very deep, so picking in the middle of the pack could net us a nice player. And picking higher each round could also be advantageous. It’s another reason why I’d like us not to sign Lilly, offer him arbitration, and perhaps pick up a couple of draft picks. There will be other pitchers available in the draft probably as good or better than Lilly. He’s also someone I’d prefer not to sign to a multi-year deal. Quite frankly, I don’t trust his stuff, and he surrenders far too many HRs.

9. Jaydizel says:

Fire the Giant, and the Yankee. Bring back that tradition Frank talks about by hiring some frickin” Dodgers!!!!!

Lilly is having a good year….. have to be careful here, don’t want to upset anyone who believes he is an elite ace – I don’t think he is worth the $10 million he is being paid, but that could be just me. I would hope to get a front line 200+ IP 3.5 ERA for a multi-year contract that pays kind of money. Still, his WHIP and BAA is very good and he seems to take the ball every 5th day. That could change of course as he goes over 35 years of age. We could use more like him that’s for sure, but for $10+ million the Dodgers, in my opinion, are not in contention for his services. Will the Dodgers offer him arbitration? They didn’t do it for Wolf, why would they do it for Lilly? And you know, the same could be said for Kuroda. What will the Dodgers do with these two?

I am with you Brooklyn. The Dodgers are going nowhere this year, that has been clear to most for over a month, so, why not get a couple of high picks? I can think of a few million reasons why the current Dodger ownership wouldn’t want that, but at this point, what else can we fans look forward to? We are about a week to ten days from official elimination, so we will have to wait that long before we can really assess what is going to happen on the field. The front office? Who knows how long that will take. It could go to next spring.

Preston’s hitting problems have little to do with Donnie. Maybe the kid’s talent level wouldn’t have landed him a spot on a high school team if not for his dad’s expert teaching skills.

BTW, that “visit” to the mound was silly in my opinion. He put one shoe on the dirt. Who would have noticed that? The umps didn’t even see it. It was a goofy MBL technicality – I don’t hold that against the guy. What I want to know is, can he get morons like Matt Kemp motivated to play this game. If not, we need someone who can, or, someone who can dump Matt’s butt to a team in the midwest where Kemp can learn a little humility. You play for the L.A. Dodgers kid, get your head out of your ass or you can see what playing for Kansas City feels like.

Please, not the Gints. Come on Rockies, keep thumping.