I Am Don Mattinglys’ Home Boy

I Am Don Mattinglys’ Home Boy

… but I have reservations about him.  However, I am from Missouri, so he’ll have to “show me.”

The Next Big Thing?

But, it’s a done deal.  Frank and Ned gave their word before the season that Don Mattingly would be the 2011 Dodgers manager and they are being true to their word.

Nice!  Keeping your word!

Damn!  Keeping your word!

My opinion is that Joe Torre and his staff lost this team somewhere during the season.

I’m not the only one who thinks that.

James Loney said it:

At times, teams played harder than us. I think we want to win. We want to finish it. We want to win the World Series. But the other teams are trying to do that, too. It’s not necessarily that if you have good players you’re going to win. You have to play as a team. Guys, hopefully, they see what we’ve gone through this year and people don’t want to be in this position next year.

Translation:  ”The team quit!  Joe Torre was a failure.  The Dodgers didn’t have the leadership at either the management or player level to win. “

Why does Mattingly deserve to be manager, when everyone of the Dodger’s starting position players, except for Rafael Furcal, have hit below their career averages?  Martin, Kemp, Ethier, Blake, Loney, Manny, and even Ryan Theriot,  is hitting 40 points below what he was hitting in Chicago, all have failed to hit their career averages.  I mean, every year, you should have one or two players who have “career years.”  The Dodger hitting has been one monumental failure and the guy charged with overseeing that part of Dodger baseball is promoted to Manager?

Now, Don Mattingly is my homeboy.  He’s a fellow Hoosier (that’s what they call us “Indiana Guys”).  So, I feel a certain kinship with him.  Was the total disinterest by Joe Torre the cause of the Dodgers hitting malaise?  I guess it could have been, but right now I remain very skeptical of Don Mattingly.  I hope he make me eat these words!

RANTS & RAVES

• The Dodgers should not sign Ted Lilly.  Maybe they should offer him arbitration, but I would be afraid he might take it and get $10-13 mil a year.  This will be a tough decision.  No way he’s worth that much.
  • I think that if the Dodgers could sign Ryan Theriot for something like 2 years/$5 mil that would be a worthy deal, but he will probably want more and Ivan DeJesus, Jr. might just be ready.  Theriot gives them options as a lead-off hitter with his base-stealing ability, but his OB% is really too low for me.
  • Furcal and Blake cannot be traded!   The Dodgers are stuck with their deals.  Maybe Blake and Furcal can play 130 games each if they rest twice a week.  That makes Carroll a valuable piece again, but he’s getting up there in age too.  Hopefully Ned learns from those deals.
  • The Dodgers need to get younger.  Paul, Mitchell and Hu will have every opportunity to make the team next year.
  • Broxton HAS to be traded.  No way the Dodgers pay $7 mil for a closer.  Jansen is ready!
  • There may be a new phenom to make the Dodgers starting staff next year:   Rubby Carlos De La Rosa. Watch him!

12 Responses to “I Am Don Mattinglys’ Home Boy”

1. Harold says:

I would say wait a while on De La Rosa. Jared has kept us up date on him. He came out of the woodwork and outshone the high draft pick pitchers we have.

I get tentative on these things as we so often rush or hype our youngsters. He might ba a mid season option, at least for me, wanting to see what he does at AAA.

GO DODGERS!!

2. AnewBlueDay/Roger Dodger says:

Mark, I think if the Dodgers go with Blake, Furcal, & Theriot in those positions — the team will fail again.

One of them needs an upgrade.

If a new outfielder is not brought in and they go with someone on the roster now — the team will fail again.

If a miracle happens and Martin comes back and plays like we think he can, say 110 games, that is great — but if they go with the two catcher now playing — the team will fail again.

I assue that if Kemp, Ethier, and Loney are kept — they will rebound.

Where is Jeff Kent when you need a good hitting second baseman???

Oh, this morning on MSNBC they had a segment on Frank & Jamie with pictures.

I have a slightly different take on Loney’s words.

I am certainly no Joe Torre fan, and I’m happy he’s no longer in the Dodgers dugout. Loney’s thoughts I think are directed at himself and his teammates. Hopefully this year will act as a wake-up call for Loney and the rest of the players that were a part of this year’s debacle. Their level of committment to turn things around, and the addition of some new blood, will largely determine how the team performs in 2011. And although Loney may have not been direclty criticizing Torre, I can understand how his words can lead to the conclusion that Torre’s leadership (or lack thereof) was less than inspiring. In that respect Torre was a failure, and perhaps that’s all you’re getting at.

I too was less than enthused by Mattingly’s hiring. But it is what it is, and at this point, skepticism and all, he deserves to be judged by his actions, which, obviously, will take some time. And I don’t think success or failure as a hitting coach necessarily translates into success or failure as a manager. In most resepects, they’re two different animals. Fact is, Mattingly wasn’t the lone Dodger hitting coach. Remember there was Pentland, and whatever his input, Manny Mota. Perhaps one is enough, or put another way, more than one is too many. Maybe a single consistent voice is what was really needed.

For me, the test for Mattingly will be the degree to which he is his own man. Sometimes when people assume a position of authority we see traits that weren’t apparent before. Sometimes not.

I absolutley agree about Lilly. Even when he was pitching well I had my doubts. Much like my thoughts about Sherrill last year. It’s become pretty apparent to me that he’s a homerun throwing machine. His best role actually might be as the pitcher in the pre-All Star game homerun hitting contest. The arbitration thing is tricky. There might be a team out there willing to offer him a multi-year deal, and I’d hate to pass on the two draft picks that offering arbitration would bring. But I agree that he’s definitely not worth $10-13 million, and he might get it. Question is, could he be serviceable enough to take a risk on? That’s a tough one, and hopefully the Dodgers have a better read on the market and his serviceability than any of us.

De Jesus might be ready, and he might not. I don’t think any of us know the degree to which the recovery from his broken leg affected his performance this year, and to what degree he will benefit as the injury moves farther back in the rearview mirror. These things generally take more than a year to fully recover from. The thing that caught my eye about his performance this year was the regression in his patience at the plate. Is that permanent, or just an aberration?

Theriot doesn’t excite me either. The decision on whether or not to sign him will be influenced by his value on the market, the perceived readiness of De Jesus, and the availablility of a second baseman via trade or free agency.

Furcal is probably still OK on a limited basis of about 120-130 games. Blake might be a useful backup. But I won’t go so far as to say they’re untradeable. Difficult to trade, yes, impossible, probably not. In each case it would depend on the replacement(s) available, and how much salary the Dodgers had to eat.

Paul, Mitchell and Hu will likely have a chance to make the team next year. But there will likely be others, e.g., Trayvon Robinson, etc. And then again, will any of these players be included as part of a trade this winter?

Broxton does NOT have to be traded. Unless he can be included (meaning it can be a package of players in which he is “included”) in a trade for a truly valauble piece (e.g., David Wright of the Mets, if he’s available), I’m inclined to see if he can rebound. And like anyone else on this site, I do not have a clue as to why his stuff has deteriorated. For now, I have to hope that Dodgers management is aware of the issues and potential solutions, and that they have a plan to rehabilitate him. And then there are the intangibles. How hard will Broxton work in the offseason and in spring training to reverse his failures. Unlike you, Mark, I can’t read that in his eyes, nor do I believe anyone else can. There are, I believe, things deep within us that are hidden from view, sometimes even from ourselves. How deep Broxton reaches down within himself (barring any real physical factors) will to a large part determine the outcome.

“Jansen is ready!” Maybe, maybe not. He’s been pitching for less than two years, so it just might be a bit premature to throw him into the closer’s role. It might be a lot more prudent to rely on him in a less demanding role at first. Could he share the closer’s role with Kuo? Maybe. But if that’s the case, who works the 8th inning?

RDLR could be a phenom poised to make the staff next year. Maybe not. And perhaps he’s a candidate for an in-season promotion. He’s definitely on the radar, but whether or not he’s ready is another story. The big leagues is a whole other world compared to AA. We’ve already learned by watching Billingsley and Kershaw, that the refinements that separate top prospects from success at the big league level can be a major obstacle to immediate success. You were pretty excited by Josh Lindblom. Maybe you still are, but maybe not. And I still consider Lindblom a prospect. But like all prospects, he’s also a little suspect. If it happens for RDLR, that will be wonderful. But it could also take some time before he’s truly ready. You don’t know, I don’t know, and the Dodgers probably don’t know.

In the meantime, the Dodgers need an upgrade at 3B, 2B, in the outfield, and maybe behind the plate. I think we just have to wait and see how it all plays out. Pitching depth is also an issue.

Oh, and the other main ingredient in how it all plays out will be the outcome of the divorce issue. Hopefully it plays out over the next few months, and not years.

This from the above article: “However, Frank could keep the Dodgers all in his family and pay off Jamie by negotiating a front-loaded extension of the team’s television contract with Fox.”

So could a settlement push even further down the road the establishment of a Dodger network past 2014? And if the extension is front loaded to payoff Jamie, how do the Dodgers operate without that TV income in the coming years? Not so well, I think.

5. lawdog says:

If Mattingly’s only experience in baseball since he retired as a player was to be a batting coach–at whcih he failed, what makes anybody think he’ll be a servicable manager? I think he has as good a chance to be a decent manager as Rick Honeycutt would have. :shock:

6. lawdog says:

Late twitter from Shaikin:

No progress in McCourt mediation; talks may extend into Saturday
    September 24, 2010 | 2:22 pm
    The mediation talks between Frank and Jamie McCourt have broken for lunch, with no announcement of any progress toward a settlement.

The parties are trying to resolve a divorce case in which the future of the Dodgers is at stake. Each of the McCourts is in attendance, accompanied by several lawyers.

In the absence of a settlement, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Scott Gordon will rule on the validity of a disputed 2004 agreement.

Frank McCourt has asked the court to uphold the agreement, which would leave him with sole ownership of the Dodgers. Jamie McCourt has asked the court to throw out the agreement, in which case the Dodgers would be considered community property and likely sold.

Mediation talks could extend into Saturday. If the parties cannot resolve the case, the divorce trial would resume Monday, for its third and presumably final week.

– Bill Shaikin from Los Angeles Superior Court

This from Josh Fisher at Dodgerdivorce.com:

“The mediation is probably welcome the least in the fans’ eyes. Any settlement agreement would keep the Dodgers in the McCourt family, an outcome a very high proportion of fans fear. To me, that speaks to the tragedy of the entire situation; the fan base of the Los Angeles Dodgers is actively rooting for the trial to continue, because it is the path to new ownership. And, should the litigation continue, no definite end is in sight. This part will conclude next week, but we’d be months–if not a year or two–from anything approaching finality.”

Not very good alternatives for us fans.

8. Jared Massey says:

I wouldn’t be so quick to pencil RDLR into the staff next year. You gotta remember, he’s still just 21 and this was his first year pitching about rookie ball. That said, he could blow the coaches away next spring and give them a very tough decision.

9. Mark Timmons says:

I’m not penciling in RCDLR yet, but he bears watching. He has made tremendous strides this year.

At age 19, Fernando had a 3.10 ERA in AA and was in the majors the next year.

My only concern is that RCDLR doesn’t have many professional innings pitched, but his stuff is electric and I would not be surprised to see him on the Big Club’s Roster next year.

Who made out the lineup tonight? So far, so good.
    I’m watching because you never know when Special K may [censored] but egads, hands of stone is in LF. Oh well, Que Sera
    I know there are alot of old geezers [myself included] in here, HELP!
    I am getting the Arizona feed and Joe Garagiola is spinning with Suttons son. I am 58 and listened to Joe when I was in my teens and thought he was old then. Is this the same guy or his clone?
    See what I mean, Gibbons has SEVERE problems with closing his glove when a ball lands in it. Stop the stylin and use both of your hands. He makes Manny look like SpiderMan. If he is our LF next year [BLEEPED OUT}…

I was just going to post what Brooklyn brought in earlier. Mediation is basically a settlement, which is what I thought would be the direction the McCourt’s would go if they came to their senses. Jamie wants the money, she doesn’t care where it comes from, and Frank wants the team, and he doesn’t care what kind of hole he puts it in to keep it. A court decision, based on that lame ass MPA, could definitely force a sale. If they settle, it is indeed bad news for Dodger fans……. unless….

Frank works out a long term terminal deal with a very wealthy partner. In other words, do what Frankie does best… borrow again. If he clears Jamie with what amounts to a front loaded future, puts a good enough team on the field to keep the junkies coming to the park, he just might pull this off.

I hope for the best, but I fear the worst – Frankie McMooch dances his way around this land mine and keeps the team in his family.

12. Ronnzini says:

Mattingly is boring, unable to motivate, and he is a Yankee. Bring in Bobby Valentine–someone with some Dodger history!