You all know I was not in favor of Don Mattingly to be the manager of the Dodgers, but the deed is done and I am on board. After all, he is an Indiana Boy and maybe that will get me some special treatment. Yeah, Right! I will give him my full support (but if he messes up I am going to be all over him like “white on rice“). I will give him some advice however:
- Dismiss all the coaches on the current staff;
- Pick your own coaching staff;
- Tim Wallach should be your 3B coach (man-up, don’t be scared);
- Consider ex-Dodgers for your staff ;
- Hire one hitting coach;
- Younger guys should have your preference;
- Consider Brad Ausmus for your staff;
- Don’t manage the AFL – Let Wallach do it;
- Talk to each player individually – spend a day with them on their turf; and
- Get a stat geek on your staff – it will help.
If Torre stays with the Dodgers, it means that most of you are full of crap. Just my two cents worth!