Donnie Ballgame

Donnie Ballgame

You all know I was not in favor of  Don Mattingly to be the manager of the Dodgers, but the deed is done and I am on board.  After all, he is an Indiana Boy and maybe that will get me some special treatment.  Yeah, Right!  I will give him my full support (but if he messes up I am going to be all over him like “white on rice“).  I will give him some advice however:

1. Dismiss all the coaches on the current staff;
  2. Pick your own coaching staff;
  3. Tim Wallach should be your 3B coach (man-up, don’t be scared);
  4. Consider ex-Dodgers for your staff ;
  5. Hire one hitting coach;
  6. Younger guys should have your preference;
  7. Consider Brad Ausmus for your staff;
  8. Don’t manage the AFL – Let Wallach do it;
  9. Talk to each player individually – spend a day with them on their turf; and
  10. Get a stat geek on your staff – it will help.

If Torre stays with the Dodgers, it means that most of you are full of crap.  Just my two cents worth!

12 Responses to “Donnie Ballgame”

My only advice is 1. take your paycheck directly to the bank, and 2. be patient because it ain’t happening for the Dodgers for a while.

According to Gameday, Broxton just threw a change-up.

I am not kidding. First one I have seen – it was 89 mph and it was fouled off.

3. Jaydavis says:

Crossing my fingers The Hit Man reads your blog and thinks your 1-10 is a brilliant idea. I can see wallach being hitting coach.
    That photo is f–kin’ gay, btw.

4. lawdog says:

And just why would Torre staying on as some sort of advisor or assistant to the GM mean most of us here are full of crap? :roll:

5. lawdog says:

That change up Broxton threw was most likely a hanging slider that rolled down a little instead of breaking with a snap.. When your heater is coming in at 89-95, a change isn’t going to register 89 mph. If he still threw 95-102 then 89 for a change would be appropriate.

mark, i agree with everything except i think mattingly NEEDS to manage the afl.

hell, some of those guys might get legit shots next year, and he’s gota see what he has coming up. plus, he just needs basic managing experience.

otherwise, kudos to some great ideas.

That picture is from the mid 80′s. Perhaps a lot of fashion from that era would look gay to some today. It was actually cool then. As were afros the decade before that and bell bottoms the decade before that.

Broxton’s fastball was consistently at 94-96 last night ldog. Could be that gameday had it wrong, but I don’t recall ever seeing them post a change-up for him. Everything until that has been fastball or slider.

Mattingly is ready. I don’t think anything in the AFL would help him at this point. Just my opnion. I was hoping they would try to go to someone, or a team of someone’s, that had more Dodger history. Maybe this group doesn’t give a damn about history. Wouldn’t surprise me if that was the case. History just went public and called them incompetent, feckless boobs.

8. lawdog says:

Truth be known, I fell asleep while watching last night’s game before Broxton entered the game. Happens a lot these days. 94-96 is a definite improvement, but his slider has always been 87-89 and hangs more thn half the time. I would think a real change would be slower than 89 and have significant drop. A rolling, hanging slider could easily be mistaken for a change assuming it does drop straight down a little.

Maybe.

But, last night all his sliders were coming in between 85-87. And, an 89 mph change-up, if thrown correctlyk, behind a 95-96 mph fastball would be excellent. It is exactly what he has been missing.

If it’s true, this is, in my opinion, a huge step for Jonathan. He got a strike with it, so, it must have been a relatively effective pitch.

10. lawdog says:

Like I said, I fell asleep and missed it. You were watching Gameday which doesn’t show you the actual pitch. Maybe we need to ask someone who saw the pitch how it actually moved. 89 mph is what Gagne used to hit with his change. If Broxton can mix that in with a 94-102 mph fastball, he’ll have something.

11. lawdog says:

Not so effective if he’s throwing 90-96. And it’s got to roll off the end of the table with it’s sinking action. If it just has a change in speed 89 is too close to 90-96 to be effective.

I hope Broxton is getting his heater back.

gameday gives you break and pFX and that pitch had a 5″ break….. most of his sliders show at least 7″ so, I suppose it could have been a slider that came in more like a fastball – hell I don’t know, but if he can throw a change up off a 94-96 mph fastball, it could really help him. BTW, I didn’t see a fastball below 93 listed on gameday – and there was only one of those, the rest were all 94-96. I have no idea how accurate that is. But 94-96 should be enough if you put the ball where you want to.

As for what’s wrong with him, who knows – maybe we will find out in the off season. Could be he is disappointed Jamie didn’t pick him.