Make A New Plan, Stan

Make A New Plan, Stan

It pains me greatly to say this.  I never raise the white flag, but Ned tried and it was too little, too late.

Podsednik, Theriot, Lilly and Dotel arrived at the fort after the troops had already been massacred.

This year is done.  It’s time to hop on the Bus Gus, we don’t need to discuss much.

It is time to look at the core of this team, and decide who has to stay and who can go.  I think it’s really very simple:  most of the core of this team are players who are under team control for the next few years, but not all are “core players.”

Immediately, the following players should be placed on waivers (of course, some like Sherrill , Blake and Anderson will not be claimed, but some will):

• Sherrill
  • Blake
  • Furcal
  • Ramirez
  • Weaver
  • Belliard
  • Carroll

You don’t need to be coy, Roy, just listen to me. Here’s my rationale:  The Dodgers will actually keep some of those players, but a few could bring us some TOP (I mean TOP) Prospects in return.  Tampa Bay or the White Sox covet Manny, and while the Dodgers won’t get a ton for him, they should be able to recover $2 to $4 mil and a Top 10 Prospect for him.  Broxton and Furcal will both bring two Top Prospects, I mean really good players.  Raffy can help a team win it all THIS year.  The Dodgers only control him one more year and he’s getting older, so they need to see what they can get.  If they can get two Top Prospects for him, they should do it.   Just drop off the key, Lee and set yourself free!

I am a believer that you don’t pay a closer $10 mil, and Broxton will be there soon.  Never mind that I have an “irrational hatred of him” – he needs to go, and get us a couple more top prospects.  Stockpile those bad boys.    Someone may want Podsednik, Theriot, Lilly, Dotel, Padilla, Kuroda, Martin, Weaver and Carroll or Belly.  They won’t all go, but some will.  Jansen, Lindblom, Belisario, Kuo, Guerra and others wait to close.

Just slip out the back, Jack. Look, I like Raffy – but let’s get real.  He’s having a career year.  Trade him before he gets hurt!

Here’s the Dodger’s core:

• Kemp
  • Ethier
  • Loney
  • Kershaw
  • Billingsley

That’s it!  Those 5 guys are the Dodgers Core.   I used to love Russ Martin, but he’s not a “core player.”  Matt Kemp showed how good he can be when he is focused, like last night.  He got called out in the press the day before, admitted he needed to do better, and immediately did it!  He has Superstar talent.  The play where Loney got thrown out at 3B could have happened to anyone in that same situation.  I  can’t fault Kemp on that one (and I have been critical of him this year).  Kemp was scoring easily and wasn’t dogging it, but was in a mode that wasn’t top speed (and rightfully so).   If anything, we should be ragging on Loney for going to 3B.

The Dodgers should lock those 5 guys  up long term!    RIGHT NOW!    Belisario, Kuo, Jansen, Monasterios, Paul, Hu, DeJesus, Sands (?), Lindblom,  Ely, Ellis and others will be around also.

Take the prospects the Dodgers can get for Martin, Broxton, Lilly, Manny and others and add them to their stable of prospects.  Oh, and sign Zach Lee!  NOW!

That’s my plan.  Make it so, Ned.

Oh, here’s your short list for managers next year:

• Gibson (if he’s available)
  • Scioscia (yeah, I know, but…)
  • Ausmus
  • Wallach

Pick one!

27 Responses to “Make A New Plan, Stan”

I agree with absolutey ALL of this.

you can’t half ass being a buyer or seller. it’s either or. for our future’s sake, it’d be good to get swept by sd. that way we can start rebuilding and reloading.

It’s logical.

And that is why they probably won’t do it.

But it is what I would do.

Of that list, I take Scioscia.

3. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

You can scratch Furcal off this list. Not in tonights lineup because he felt something in his back last night. having an MRI.. Furcal + back = trouble.

I’d put Broxton on waivers.. I’d put every single player on waivers… there’s nothing wrong with listening… even if it’s Kershaw or Billingsley, Ethier or Kemp… If this team isn’t going to win a World Series, and if you overturn 75% of the roster, I doubt it’ll happen… these guys are going to leave anyways for bigger bucks. If you’re going to do a complete retool… no one should be immune.. NO ONE… see what you could get for anyone. Just because you listen, doesn’t mean you deal them away.

4. Jim D says:

I am with you on most of it, and believe Tim Wallach would make a good manager & turn things around here. Between Grady Little League & Joe Torre both, you could not get enough emotion or energy to swat a fly on your nose.

Makes sense to me. Never hurts to listen. But I don’t agree that not being in top speed mode is OK. It doesn’t hurt to get across the plate ASAP. It’s little things like that that can make a difference in a game or two each year. In fact, if mulitplied by 25 players, it’s probably more than just a game or two. However, as I noted in an earlier thread, I was most impressed by Kemp’s focus and approach at the plate yesterday. The play at the plate was more the result of bad habits, not the lack of hustle. Kemp needs to refine his game, work on his concentration, and focus on the small things that separate the great players from the very good ones.

Scioscia. And maybe Bobby Valentine should be on that list.

They had better sign Zach Lee “NOW”. I believe the deadline is August 16th. In other words, we’ll know about that within the next two weeks.

7. Michael Patrick G says:

Well, you know me. I’ve called for slash and burn for a couple of weeks here because it became obvious to me a while ago that this team is going to go nowhere this year.
    They don’t respect Torre anymore. It’s painfully obvious.
    Hell, we as spectators are amazed by the stunningly moronic manner in which he “manages”/mismanages the bullpen. Imagine how the players reacted to seeing Sherrill piss away everything for which they fough in the 8th or 9th after he had shown time and time again that he was not to be trusted.
    Or think about the times the genius has used Broxton unnecessarily for more than one inning.
    Yeah, hell, I don’t even trust him anymore. Think about what they’re saying.

Mark, good remarks above, you are such a liberal in go all the way to re-do the team.

But I am more conservative on the re-build.

I would keep Broxton and get a pitching coach, and a veteran pitcher to work with him, like Greg M., and FIX HIM.

If Broxton goes, the Dodgers do not have a closer.

So, if the table gets cleared as Mark suggests — then there is need of:

Catcher

Bench

Bench

Bench

4th outfielder

5th infielder

Back up Catcher

That is quite of shopping list.

Tonight — Martin must really have leg problems. He is so slow. If fact, Mark could beat Russell in a foot race — and Mark is 125 years old, with a hip replacement.

9. Mark Timmons says:

OK, maybe we take it a step farther. If Manny and Furcal and Broxton clear waivers, Ned sends then to his old buddy, Brian Sabean for two PTBNL (of course the Dodgers and Giants agree who those players are aforehand). The Dodgers pay the salaries of all the player involved this year. Those players the Giants send to the Dodgers after the season are Madison Baumgarner and Tommy Joseph.

Rationale, the Giants could win it all with Furcal, Manny and Broxton. The Dodgers get a catcher and top-of-the-rotation starter next season.

10. Mark Timmons says:

Roger,

I can’t see the Dodgers paying Broxton $10 mil and I can do the 40 in 12 flat now. Can you beat that?

;)

OK, I am waiting for the big Dodger inning, and the big Dodger game explosion.

I am waiting . . .

You would help the Giants to the World Series?

Shame on you.

Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY, but them. If you are going to send them to a West team, try Colorado or Arizona. Rationale: ANYBODY but the Giants!

Reynolds got a 3 run home run on his birthday tonight then just got beaned by a 95 mph fastball. He left the game.

Good news:

and I thought we were out of it.

14. Mark Timmons says:

3.2%? Print the tickets!

15. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

You have to give them a big bone, to get the two players I want!

Pick two other players.

Not the Giants. Not ever. I want them to go longer than the Cubs have had to. I don’t want my grandchildren’s grandchildren to see the Giants win it all.

And exactly when do you think the 19 year old Joseph (hitting .230 in A-ball this year) will be ready to go behind the plate for the Dodgers? Bumgarner might turn out to be really good, and maybe not.

Shame on you. I didn’t see a single vote of discontent from anyone on this blogs theme of giving up on the season. Don’t be hypocritical and accuse any of our players of mailing it in when apparentely you all have. Don’t give up the ship!

19. Mark Timmons says:

Michael,

Here’s the difference: We are fans, we are not paid to play! The players are paid! They are professionals! However, I don’t think they are mailing it in.

Brooklyn,
    Joseph will be ready in 2-3 years, but journeyman catchers are a dime a dozen (maybe slightly higher).

Did anyone see Carlos Santana’s collision at the plate? That the runner was out is incredible! BTW, he is hitting .260!

Shame on us?

Hey, it’s a 3.2% chance of making the play-offs, let alone actually winning in them. These players, pitchers first, then the hitters, are, like Mark’s golf game, all over the course. It ain’t “giving up”, it’s commenting on observations – and what I observe are a group of highly paid ballplayers looking like they would rather be in the Bahama’s – or in Rihanna’s lap.

And how ’bout them McWhoret’s? – ain’t they a piece of ownership work? Borrow the money to get in, borrow against the team to live above their means all the while not paying any taxes. The American way, greed pays. Let the unwashed pick up the tab. That would be those of us who continue to show up at the Ravine to support this rip off. Disgusting.

So here we are, barely above .500, 8 games back, 4th place, 3.2% chance of getting in the tournament, and we are supposed to rah rah this crap?

As a 50 year fan of this team, I am pissed and I don’t mind saying it because it is my right as a fan to do so. The Los Angeles Dodgers are better than this damn it. The fans of the Dodgers deserve better than this.

I think it is time to send a message to this organization. Stop going to the games L.A. fans. Let the league know this nonsense has gone on long enough. We need new leadership and we need it now.

Mark,

I didn’t see the video. But keep this in mind, Santana is a ROOKIE, and didn’t get out of A-ball until last year, and has only been a catcher for a short while. He’s just getting his feet wet at the big league level. In my mind, given those circumstances, .260 ain’t bad (actually better than Russell Martin, with already more HRs in less ABs). I suggest we wait a year or so. My arguments concerning the Blake deal have never revolved completely around whether or not Santana was going to be star. I’m sure if you go back and read them all, in the correct context, you will find that my dissatisfaction with the deal was based on our giving up a premium prospect for a pedestrian player like Blake. If the Dodgers were going to trade Santana it had to be in a deal that included more than Casey Blake or his like. As I’ve noted before, if the Dodgers had held onto Santana they might have been able to package him in a deal for an ace. Or we would still have him, making it more likely that either he or Martin could be packaged to add one or two of the pieces we need, or the premium prospects you would like to acquire.

Bottom line is that the Dodgers got pennies on the dollar in the Blake deal.

I just looked at the video. For me, that’s all the more reason the Dodgers should have held onto Santana. Great job blocking the plate. Scioscia-like. And by the way, focusing on his .260 batting average without mentioning his .401 OBP is being selective, at the least.

“If the Dodgers were going to trade Santana it had to be in a deal that included more than Casey Blake or his like.”

Amen to that.

24. Mark Timmons says:

The deal looks worse with each passing day, but all I am saying is not to anoint him… yet!

I did like that play at the plate.

He had a horrible July.

Time will tell…

My bad for my shame on you but my point was, surely you have seen stranger things happen in earning all those gray whiskers.
    What if the crew of Apollo 13 had said there is only a 3.2% chance that we can pull this off, aw eF it, our chances are slim and none.
    I too am a 50 year fan of the Dodgers that is unhappy with our performance and realize the only way to kill the beast is to sever its head[Ownership{and we thought Fox sucked}].
    Giving up is not an option with 8 weeks to go with a glimmer of hope. Even if it is only a 3.2%[allegedly]one.

Captain Kirk did wonders with less odds.

But he isn’t the captain of this ship.

I am just a realist. Stranger things have happened I know, but I don’t get the feeling good strange is in the Dodgers future. It’s just a gut feeling (and I have more gray than Mark) from being around a while. I think I saw this coming.

This whole thing looks like bad karma to me.

27. Bill Martin says:

print your ticket or tickets, which basically is a bar code, or a bunch of bar codes. We experienced the same thing when we went to see Cats at Proctors

This is a verifycation of our tickets.

Print at Home” as the delivery option for your purchase, and your ticket(s) will be emailed to you as an attachment

thanks for print ticket.