Indictment of Dodger Hitting Coaches

Indictment of Dodger Hitting Coaches

Jason Repko is OPS’ing 1.002 in Minnesota after 57 AB’s this season. He has 3 HR and is hitting .317.  When he was with the Dodgers, he could barely break .200!  The Dodgers as a team are hitting like Jason Repko did when he was a Dodger.  Is that an indictment against the Dodgers.  I’ll respond with a resounding YES!   I don’t know what’s going on in the Dodgers farm system, but I do know that many hitters on all levels are underperforming.    This is readily apparent on the major league level where the Dodgers have been in a hitting malaise for an extended period of time, even though they have two (count ‘em, two) hitting coaches.

I am a businessman.  I deal in results.  No excuses.  Your produce is what it is.  Produce or you are gone.  It’s a simple mantra.  It should apply to the Dodgers.   Why can Jason Repko leave the Dodgers and hit like Babe Ruth?  I know that it’s a small sampling and that 57 AB’s is nothing, but Jason Repko never looked like that as a Dodger.

The problem is deeper than Mattingly and Pentland.  It permeates the Dodger Farm System.  Heads need to roll – this type of result is not acceptable.

By the way, those who scolded me for wanting Adrian Beltre back (you know who you are), are looking pretty silly right about now.  Adrian’s line this year:

• .336  BA
  • .372 OB%
  • .570 Slugging %
  • 20 HR
  • 75 RBI
  • 33 Doubles
  • 2 Triples

12 Responses to “Indictment of Dodger Hitting Coaches”

Repko is surrounded by hitters in a hitting organization. Maybe it’s rubbing off on him.

I have said for years, somewhat tongue-in-cheek but I think it’s still true – L.A. is where bats go to die. I don’t why this is but it is. Guys might hit well for a while here, but eventually they will slip. I think the Dodgers soak their bats in Ambien.

If Beltre were here, or if Dunn somehow managed to fall in the Dodgers lap, their bats too would quietly but assuredly lay down and go nite nite. A quick look at tonight’s box – the Dogs are 5 for 24 and 0 for 5 WRISP. And this is at home against a last place team.

Nite nite everyone.

57 ABs really is nothing. My problem with our hitting coaches is in what I see. Why has Russell Martin been overswinging for two years? Why can’t Kemp stay focused on driving the ball towards the big part of the field? Why does Ethier have a history of hitting lefties and then not hitting them? For me this all comes back to coaching.

Nobody is going to be dismissed now. However, if Torre leaves and Mattingly isn’t hired to manage the team, then perhaps the new manager brings with him an entire new staff of coaches.

3. Jaydavis says:

I loved Repko

Mark, I totally agree, as we have discussed in the past. There is something wrong with the Dodgers approach to hitting from the minors up.

I know this might sound crazy, but the way a baseball park (stadium) looks — can make a hitter feel strong, weak, or even nothing.

Some hitters go on the road to some fields — and hit like Ruth/Williams/Jackson rolled into one. Then that same hitter can go to another location and look for a single.

I believe that the look, feel, visual aspects of a park/stadium can impact a player.

I think that fields with higher outfield stands or seats make one feel stronger, like in a canyon and you can hit it out. Also, add to this, fan closeness. Boston is like this. Cubs, go around.

Dodger stadium is the opposite in a way. Lower outfield seats with the palm trees and mountain range sloping way back there. I think some players just do not feel like they can bash there.

Yes, the Dodgers have had some big games in L.A., but more than not, many hitters have had problems there.

I was in the new(er) Phillies park this past May. That place rocks. Where the Texas Rangers play — same feel, with the high stands and roof in the outfield. Even I felt strong in whole game.

When I think on S.F. – Bonds, a left-hander, always looking to right field and that wall with folks sitting and standing on top of it, and the ocean just on the other side — he was a monster there. But most hitters are right handed and that left field just kind of slants back a bit with that big glove out there. No chance.

I take this back to my youth. A few of us (about age 13-15) would play some stick ball with broom sticks and tennis balls. We would play this game in two different drive-ways. One was an open drive-way with no trees around, kind of flat there. None of us hit much, just singles and some line-drives. But when we went of John’s house and his drive-way, high trees on both sides and across the street — we all felt stronger and could really belt the ball.

My suggestion, tear down the Dodger outfield seats, build some higher stands, lower the wall like in Baltimore (left field) so fans are right there. Believe me, hitting will go up after that.

5. Anonymous says:

… and Frank could have more seats to put butts in!

Dodger Stadium has always been a tough place to hit. They thought they made it easier when they added some seats in the foul areas and shortened the back-stop distance, but it really didn’t change the result much – it’s just tough to hit there. And maybe that is why the Dodgers whole organization has been built on pitching for many years.

It would be nice to see the Dodgers go for some line drive hitting, base stealing great playing defense type players – with an Adam Dunn or young Manny Ramirez in the middle for the occasional 3 run homer – but I don’t see that as a strategy. In fact, I don’t know what to make of the Dodgers organizational strategy, other than it’s all over the map. From DePodesta and his moneyball approach to Sabean trained Colletti and his geezer approach, there doesn’t appear to be defined paradigm on which to build. And now we have an owner in a divisive divorce – which I guess by definition is redundant. Divorce means to divide, and that is what is going to happen in this case. It happens in all divorce cases. If you are the bread winner in the family, in a divorce you will have to share YOUR bread. McCourt may win the Dodgers, but he will lose half his ass – that’s just the way it is. And since he has no other source of income……. seems like an easy call to me.

From DodgerDivorce:

“He is relying on a judge to a uphold a MPA, to see if he can hold on to the Dodgers or not. If he was smart, he would make a deal with Jamie from the get go, with some sort of back dated deal that gives her some of the broadcasting revenue and annual payouts.”

So far, no deal. The Dodgers have no partners, these people are it and they are leveraged past the gluteals. Even if he wins, then what? Wait until broadcast rights come back? I suppose that’s the strategy. Could be a very long two years.

7. Harold says:

I have felt for a long time that there isn’t a Dodger way anymore, to pitching, hitting, base running, etc. We just don’t see a consistent approach from the lower minors to the big time. It seems to me when a player comes through the system for 3-5 years, he should know exactly what to do at the big league level. It will be more difficult to do because of better pitching, but the plan should be in place. That is, how to bunt, when to go the opposite way, when to pull, how to advice a runner from second to third, plate coverage and discipline, etc.

Jared’s reports, which are much appreciated, seem to mention a couple of consistent themes that penetrate our system. He mentions often that our hitters don’t walk enough. That is, plate discipline is a problem. Secondly, for our young pitchers which we were so high on, control is an issue. I suppose it is for kids out of high school or freshmen from university, but by the time they get into their second or third season of pro ball, control should be improving. How is it that John Ely now has control problems? Can’t coaches help players hit better, pitch better, run the bases better?

Somehow, a master plan for our prospects has to be developed so that something different isn’t taught at each level, or just not taught at all. It seems it all comes down to discipline or lack of it throughout the system.

GO DODGERS !!

Harold, you refer to Jared’s statement that our minor league hitters don’t walk enough.

I have talked with the front office of the AA team here — and they say that the umpires have to call a very wide plate in AA (and lower ball) because pitchers do not have even good control — and if they called the plate — there would be too many walks most games.

So, the results the Dodgers are showing, of not many walks, is well noted.

Kemp and his base running is another example. He has made so many running mistakes it would fill up a two hour video show. It starts with his loping to first base on a ground ball or fly ball. He must think that he will be out at 1st.

That puts no pressure on a fielder. That boner the other night when he did not score the run because he was kinda walking home was terrible.

I have watched him hit a fly ball to the outfield, and kinda drift toward 1st, then realize that the ball will not be caught — then he turns on the steam.

Wills has not gotten through to him as of yet. Why?

“Wills has not gotten through to him as of yet. Why?”

No respect.

I think that is part of Kemp’s problem. He is from the new generation of players. These kids can be seen all over the NBA, and of course they are in MLB as well.

Maybe younger coaches are needed. But then, do they have respect for the game?

Umps admitting they don’t call the strike zone? As a former ump, I find that unacceptable. It’s either a strike, or it is not a strike. It’s either an out or it is not an out. There are no “conditions” that change that fact.

Fundamental baseball hasn’t changed in years. What has changed are the people playing it – and evidently also the people who are enforcing the rules.

Badger, maybe some of these younger guys need to watch:

Jamey Carroll run the bases.

Reed Johnson run the bases.

Scott Podsednik run the bases.

Oh, wait — Jamey is 36 years old, Reed and Scott are both 34. Thus making them all “old men” of the earlier generation.

And — remember about a month ago with the Marlins SS Hanley Ramirez did not hustle after a ball . . . .

The Talk:

The Video:

A couple of days after the fact but your Karma is really working now Mark.
    A year after riding Andre into superstardom you have not only re-awoken his bat but you have turned our hitting coaches into gurus. Thanks mAn
    I wish you could work your magic on Broxton

Yeah, where did that come from? 18 hits? On the East Coast?

Somebody pinch me.