Dodgers Officially Become Sellers

Dodgers Officially Become Sellers

With Curley, Larry and Moe running the team, the Dodgers officially became sellers today.   No way that bunch can overcome 7 games.

Joe Torre proved he wanted to take early retirement by leaving George Cheryl in the game today to pitch to a righthander in the 9th with the winning run on 2B.   Even Ray Charles could have foreseen what would happen next!

The Six Stooges

Joe is tired, and wants to go race his horses, pickup his daughter at school and sip his Begelow Tea.  Don Mattingley is busy looking for the other half of his wits, and Rick Honeycutt is irrelevant.  Of course, Frank McCourt can get his share of the blame for not freeing up any money, but realistically, what does he expect with Curley, Larry and Moe running the ship?  Enough already!

Let the fire sale begin, and start by whacking the Three Stooges!

Wasn’t there a 4th Stooge?  Oh yeah, Ned was his name!

Blake, Furcal, Martin, Johnson, Broxton, Padilla, Belliard, Carroll, Manny (in a month) and Podsednik could all be dealt.  Cheryl could be given away.  Anderson could be released.  Stock up on prospects!

Lineup:

1. DeJesus  SS
  2. Paul  LF
  3. Ethier  RF
  4. Kemp  CF
  5. Loney  1B
  6. DeWitt 2B
  7. Mitchell 3B
  8. Ellis C

I would enjoy that.

20 Responses to “Dodgers Officially Become Sellers”

It may well be that the fire sale has begun. But I’m guessing it isn’t official until we see what the Dodgers do over the next 7 games (or less if they fall apart in the next three agaisnt the Giants). As I just noted in the previous thread, Ned is probably in a difficult position, trying to figure out what he should do over the next few days.

Question is, is Colletti smart enough to understand that he might be better off looking for pieces to fill out the roster for next year? I don’t think it would be a bad idea to see what players like Manny, Furcal, and Blake might fetch, with an eye towards upgrading at those positons next year. Problem is, going into an obvious selling mode will not play well with the PR department, and would take the kind of nerve that I suspect is lacking in the Dodgers front office.

2. Jim D says:

It HURTS to watch this poor excuse of a team – it makes blood shoot out my eyes.
    SELL – SELL – SELL !!!!

“Of course, the real fix probably can’t take place until a new owner is in place.”

I find profound wisdom in that statement.

And so, the logical following is that until a real fix is in place, why do anything? It’s like, the timing belt on your car just broke, so you replace all four tires. Maybe the tires did need to be changed, but, until you replace the belt, you ain’t going nowhere.

The Dodgers need a new timing belt. And a new battery. Spark plugs. Plug wires. Radiator. Headlights. I think you get the idea.

The best move for the Dodgers is to get rid of the owner. I wonder what they can get for him. Or her.

4. Long Live Vin says:

I can’t bear to watch them anymore. I want to sell…but I can’t see the damn Padres and their “bandwagon” fans win the division. If we can keep a team together to prevent them (SD) from winning it, I’m in. As much as I can’t stand the Giants…seeing the friggin Padres pouring champagne over themselves, a year after being doormats, just kills me. McCourt and his ho-bag wife have stolen the joy of my youth. It will be a double whammy to see Vin retire after this year, as well. It’s all just too much to take in. Somebody just shoot me.

5. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

I say get rid of everyone… Ethier, Kemp, Kershaw, Billingsley, all the people Mark suggested all 25 members of our roster we should attempt to move… if we aren’t going to be competitive for the next three or four years, why would we keep these players…. any of them?

Kershaw’s going to be a fantastic pitcher, but if we don’t have any kind of chance to win the World Series by the time he becomes a free agent, we should get a kings ransom for him… and everyone. NOONE should be untouchable.

Get rid of everyone… finish the rest of the season with whoever’s left we can’t trade as well as the prospects and players we trade for.

Before everyone gets too crazy in here, lets look at a few things. I just read that the Dodgers are trying to land Lilly and Theriot from the Cubs. If that happened, is 3.5 games back in the wild card race too much ground to make up with 60 games remaining? Manny is returning in a week, We would have 5 pretty good starters and finally someone to play 2nd base. With the guys that we have and if we can battle our way into the wild card spot, anything can happen. Don’t throw in the towel just yet. If we get beatup by the Giants and Padres over the next week, then lets toss the towel in but let’s give it one last shot.

7. LADODGERDAVE says:

Amen bill.

Tejada? So what? His OPS this year is .600.

Lilly’s OK, but is he really a difference maker? Theriot? His OBP and OPS is worse than DeWitt’s and he has just as many home runs – 1.

I don’t see those two carrying us to the play-offs, but, ok. If that’s all we can do…….

I sure hope Manny comes back and is his old self again. The team is targeting August 10th. There are many important games between now and then. And we need Belisario back ASAP. From the Dodge website:

Belisario working out with the team: Dodgers RP Ronald Belisario, on the restricted list since early July as he deals with a substance abuse issue, resumed workouts with the team Monday. The Dodgers still have no timetable for his return.
    (Updated 07/28/2010).

I get a bad feeling about our bullpen. I just read that either Bills will pitch on 3 days rest, or John Ely goes tomorrow against Zito.

Monastarios against Lincecum tonight in S.F.. A rook against the two time Cy Young winner. Who you got?

9. SpokaneBob says:

I am not giving up yet. And of all the guys here I am surprised by Mark wanting to throw in the towel.

Where you been Bob?

Not giving up huh? OK, so you would throw some more Santana’s at another Casey Blake?

Good luck with that strategy.

11. Jim D says:

Our boys in blue have proven that they CANNOT beat good teams, all season long. If they were to get “lucky” with a run in the Wildcard, they would probably get creamed in the playoffs. They will never win with Casey Blake, Russell Martin, DeWitt, Paul, Belliard, Anderson, Pod, hurt & old Manny, Weaver, Cheryl, AND TORRE & MATTINGLY.
    I am going to go hibernate until March.

12. SpokaneBob says:

Badger,

I didn’t say that. What I am saying is that there are 2 months left and stranger things have happened than the team getting on a roll and getting back into the race. The Pods pitching look awesome but they could hit a rough patch. Most teams go through tough times at some point and it still could happen to them.

As for the Dodgers, I think Kenley is a shot in the arm for the pen and if Belly come back strong our relief pitching should be ok. Its the offense that is currently killing us and I have to believe that at some point these guys are going to start hitting.

If we are in this spot a month from now I will join the call to play the kids.

This isn’t fun but part of being a fan is hanging in when times are tuff.

OK, I can accept that.

I also would sit and have a beer wit Jim D right now.

Stranger things have happened. The thing is, there are some talented players on this team that just aren’t playing well right now. Sherrill is better than this, Ethier hasn’t been the same since he broke his finger, Manny is gone, Belisario is… who knows… Martin hasn’t hit for some time now, but as a young kid he hit .280, Kemp?…. who is he really? the guy that still chases low outside sliders or the guy who won a Silver Slugger and a Gold Glove?

I wonder if this team doesn’t look up to that owner’s box and just say “jeez, where’s the door?” They are currently playing like they would rather be somewhere else – like Cabo or a beach in the Caribbean.

If we don’t make the WHAM BANG! move Mark was talking about, this current group better start mainlining some Red Bull cuz they all look like they have been drugged.

14. jaydavis says:

There’s no crying in baseball—Don’t stop believing! We’re struggling, those thing happen.
    ManRam, Ely, Belisario, Johnson, are coming back shortly. That old guy from Pacoima GA will be off the team. Dodgers will get hot at the right time.
    i am down to sell
    J

Manny to the WhiteSox is the best rumor that I have heard all day. He cannot really do anything but hit anymore. Reality check, he’s now a DH in the wrong league. I would not take Lilly [19 HRs allowed] unless the other player in the latest rumor [a deal not involving Theriot] was Byrd or Ramirez.

I want to be like the Yankees. Just go out and get who you NEED to make your club better.

I want to be like the Phillies. Just go out and trade for whoever you NEED to make your club better.

Yankees acquire Lance Berkman . . .

I agree wholeheartedly RogDog. It is pretty amazing how the Phillies can afford the contracts of Howard,Utley,Rollins,Hamels, Doc and one year go out and get Lee and the next Oswalt. It’s like the big boys shop at Nieman Marcus and we shop at Wal e world. Food stamps doesn’t buy many steaks but alot of hamburger helper. P.S. Sell, yes I hope the judge makes these people sell. Get back to where you once belonged.

Michael, you are close, very close — but the Dodgers do not shop at Wal-Mart, they shop at Dollar General.

In the bizzaro world [Seinfeld], nothing like an Ace to wake up the lumber. That’s why they call it wood. Don’t give up the ship. CHARGE!

The thing that really bugs me about Matt
    is that he chews with his mouth open. Yeah you’re Joe Cool man. Is that Robison Cano deal still on the table? Just sayin…