Rant & Rave Saturday

Rant & Rave Saturday
  • If you are going to get beat, you might as well make it a good one.  I’d say 10-1 is a good one.
  • Billingsley didn’t trust his stuff last night.  Simple as that.  He wasn’t hammered hard, but he was hit.  One step back!
  • The Dodgers need a RF and a LF.  They have a LF in RF, but who is going to play RF next year?  Andre Ethier used to be a much better outfielder, but as he has matured he seems stiff and slow.  I hope he can handle LF – if not, he’s headed to 1B.  Maybe the Dodgers will be forced to trade Loney for a Right- Fielder…
  • Scott Elbert is on the Restricted List with some family issues.
  • Kyle Russell has 7 K’s in 14 AB’s at AA and is hitting .143.  I think this is precisely the reason De Jon Watson waited to promote him.  They weren’t sure how he could handle the jump.  Now, let’s see if he can adjust.  If he can’t, he’s just another Billy Ashley (or less).
  • For the record:  I don’t like McCourt, but he has learned to keep his nose out of stuff.  Give me a better option and I’ll take it, but teams have done a lot worse.  Just because someone has money doesn’t mean they will be a good owner.  Look at KC or Baltimore.  If someone finds a perfect owner, I’ll take him.  Right now, all we can do is let the McCourt saga play out.  Some of these billionaires got there by throwing nickels around like they were manhole covers!
  • It’s good to see that Cheryl didn’t lose anything on his rehab.  He’s just as awful as ever! I told Ned to trade him over the winter.
  • I have decided that the USC Trojans need a smarter athletic director, after Mike Garrett said:  ”As I read the decision by the NCAA, all I could get out of all of this was … I read between the lines and there was nothing but a lot of envy, and they wish they all were Trojans.”  Yeah Mike, everyone wants to a moronic cheater!  I’ve always thought he was a moron and now he’s confirmed it.
  • Ely’s coming!
  • I got nothing…

16 Responses to “Rant & Rave Saturday”

Every team has a game like last night. No biggie.

The Dodgers have Manny in LF. We could have the starting outfield in the All Star game this year.

Kyle Russell is a K waiting to happen.

You don’t like McCourt? Could have fooled me. Better options are hanging out all over L.A..

What happened at USC is happening at schools all over the U.S.. Bush and Mayo are not exceptions. Go after them and the agents involved, not the current athletes. Garrett may have been negligent, but he is obviously not a moron. The NCAA is a joke that is about to be diminished to AAU levels.

We are almost 40% through this season and the Padres are still in first place. These guys are for real. We haven’t seen the real Colorado yet. The gints are right where I thought they would be and Arizona misses Brandon Webb, but are actually better than .387.

Anyone check out the Roy Oswalt Rumors: Saturday over there –>

Interesting. Another comment about the cash strapped Dodgers probably not being in play. That theme is everywhere you look.

3. Mark Timmons says:

Just like the theme that the Dodgers would be a .500 team this year.

4. Mark Timmons says:

The Dodgers under Ned and Frank McCourt have always played their cards close to their vest. When was the last time you heard in advance they were going to do anything? They see no need to confirm or deny anything. You lose leverage and it costs you more when you do that.

Watch and Learn from the Master!

5. Jaydavis says:

Go USA

.500?

Who said that? I haven’t read that anywhere. Most have picked them to compete in the West.

But, the notion that the Dodgers are cash strapped? I read that everywhere.

USA got lucky. I was trying to watch that match, and it sounded like it was being played in a hornet’s nest. I muted it, and fell asleep. Soccer. It’s as exciting as the 500. Round and round all day or back and forth for hours. Take your pick.

7. Mark Timmons says:

.500? Look it up. You said it too.

Soccer is exciting. I have it rated right up there with watching paint dry.

I said .500? Only if I was saying it would not surprise me to see them at or near .500. I believe it might have been in reference to this division being extremely close and very competitive. I think if you look it up, you will see I have them picked to win it, and you don’t win any division with a .500 record. I got them at .5679012.

Adding a pitcher like Oswalt or Lee would be nice. But as things stand right now, I’m beginning to think we’re in greater need of an impact bat. There are occasional outbursts, but for the most part runs have been scarce. And when runs are scarce it puts enormous pressure on the pitching staff. Close games promote overuse of the pen. All these one and two run games are going to wear down our staff. You can’t blow people out every night, but an occasional laugher and more 3-4 run leads would take a lot of pressure off the pen, and starters as well.

I previously mentioned Prince Fielder as a player who has been cited as possibly being available. I am fully aware of his weight problem, and it would concern me over the long term. But for now we need an impact bat, and Loney isn’t it. We’d suffer defensively and on the bases, but I wouldn’t mind seeing Kemp, Ethier, Fielder and Manny hitting one after the other. And hitting Ethier and Fielder back to back wouldn’t bother me. They both hit lefties, and besides, most pitchers are righthanded. And by the way, Fielder drew 110 walks last year to go along with his 46 bombs. And I’m not bothered by the 138 K’s. Kemp had 52 walks last year and 139 K’s.

With that kind of protection we might even get more out of Manny. And if there’s another bat available, I’m willing to listen. Ryan Braun would be nice, but probably impossible.

Where’s Manny? Hope he finally comes out of his slumber, like his old buddy Big Papi did. How long is Vin going to have to remind us that since coming of the DL he is batting two oh something? He has to see the ball and hit the ball instead of thinking because he is getting outthunk. OK, I feel better now.

I flew to Dallas for a meeting early this morning, and back tonight. Driving home, I tuned into the Indians / Nationals game.

Just then Santana came up to the plate — HR. He had already hit a double. The Indian radio announcer went bonkers. They love this guy.

Which Dodger is going to hit this team back into action ???

Kemp avg. down to the low .260′s. 2 K’s tonight. I hope it’s him. But, it might be Jamey Carroll. Looks like he is our most consistent hitter.

Couldn’t help but notice Mark Reynolds got his 15th HR and his 45th RBI tonight. Yeah, I know, lots of K’s, but for a .220 hitter, he sure scores and knocks in a lot. There are a lot of RBI third basemen in the league this year, but not in L.A..

I would love to have Prince Fielder, but, 1st base is not our problem. Loney is fine there. Good hitter, good glove. We need more like him, not less. Where we need to improve offensively is 3b, C, LF, and lately frankly CF. This month Kemp is hitting below .200. Anybody seen Manny Ramirez? This month he is hitting .220.

But Badger, listen, The Dodgers are in first place !!!!

(Mark, cut that out, you hurt my arm . . .”

Not in first place anymore!!!

I’m fine with us getting an impact bat at 3B, C, or the OF. I mention Fielder because I’ve heard he might be available. But with Loney’s reduced BB-rate and increased K-rate this year to go along with his almost total lack of power, we could use an upgrade at 1B. I’m afraid that Loney’s swing is never going to produce much power. Simply too flat with no lift. Kind of reminds me of Mike Scioscia, who big as he was, never produced much power (thankfully he saved one for Gooden).

I thought Loney would produce more power. It’s clear that I got carried away by the 9 HRs he hit in September 2007. He also had 32 ribbies that month. Include Loney in a deal with a couple of young pitchers, and the pitching starved Brewers might bite. Find a way to get Ryan Braun, and I’d be even happier.

Despite all the games they’ve won recently, it’s been very clear that it can’t continue without more runs. We can’t expect to keep on winning 1-0 games in extra innings. Sooner or later the lack of offense is bound to take a toll. Ely clearly was a bit off tonight. His control wasn’t sharp, and neither was his change. But he wasn’t horrible either. Run support would have helped.

After on 0fer nite, kind of hard to present argument for Loney. He is 26, time for a 6’3″ 220 first baseman to step into his prime. I thought this might be his break-out year. Maybe next year? Or, the year after that?I don’t know. Maybe you are right. He always looks like he is on muscle relaxers.

This team looks rather ordinary with Kemp hitting .260 and Manny (now at .271) not in the lineup doing his Manny thing. We need all 8 guys in there banging, and we don’t have it. 3-7 in the lineup was 0 for 18. Ely with 4 earned in 5 IP, now at .500. Back to earth? Maybe.

Tough part of the schedule ahead.