Life Is Good

Life Is Good

Unless you are a Dodger playing an AL team – then it sucks!

I’ll make this short and sweet – I am a Dodger fan – I will always be a Dodger fan.

But this is baseball and life and family are more important.

I need to take so time off because I have some very important family matters to attend to (it’s a good thing, not a bad thing).

For those of you who know me, I’ll just say that this is about my daughter and I, who are re-forming a relationship (hopefully), and the rest of my family, including my wife.

My daughter and I were separated in a bitter divorce 26 years ago.

I chose to stay away, knowing that she might be the collateral damage.

She is now 29 years old.  It’s time:  the time I have been praying for.

Baseball can wait – I’ll be looking in, but for the foreseeable future, Jared and Aaron will handle this.

Peace.

10 Responses to “Life Is Good”

I was about to respond to Brooklyn’s post, but, the thread was shut down on me.

You made some excellent points Brooklyn. Kershaw is no ace – yet. I was watching Andy Pettitte work last night against the dbacks and I thought Kerhsaw reminds me some of Pettitte – a little shorter, but, similar stuff of course used differently. So, I looked up Pettitte’s record. The Yankees kept him in the minors until he was 23, when he was brought up to work 175 innings. He had his break-out year the following year, at age 24, when he went over 220 innings and won 21 games. Anyone who expects Kershaw to be an ace at 22 is living in Dodger FANtasyland. Kershaw was brought up two years early out of team necessity. He will be an ace someday, but as Brooklyn said, not this year. He is working on his game, and, like Pettitte, should hit his stride at about age 24-25.

Billingsley is capable of being a very good number 2 on the right team. Is this the right team? I really don’t know. This team is about about 4 weeks away from being blown up, or, rebuilt to win it all. Hard to say which direction it will go, but the recent play, and bad luck, tells me the juju may be working downward. I still say any organization’s success, from the local jr. high school, to Enron, to Goldman Sachs to the U.S. Government, begins at the top and when I look at the top of this Dodger pyramid, I see suspect leadership under tremendous stress.

Good luck with your daughter Mark. I have something similar going on in my life, so, I can relate.

2. Harold says:

Best wishes with your family Mark. Basaball is still a kid’s game. Family is what life is all about. I hope, and pray, things work out well for you. Hear from you when you get back.

Jared and Aaron are solid on this site. It is in good hands.

Be happy my friend.

Badger,

I can relate to what you’re saying about Kershaw and Pettite. Coincidentally, with all the talk about Cliff Lee, I took a look at his professional record. In the minor leagues he walked 202 in 428 innings, about 1 BB for every 2 innings. In the big leagues he’s walked (prior to 2010) 332 in 1197 innings which is about 1 BB every 3.6 innings. Consistent command is the major ingredient missing from Kershaw’s repertoire, and it’s pretty clear from Lee’s record (and probably Pettite and any number of other successful pitchers) that getting that command takes time. It’s also a good argument for us to hold onto most of our young talent, gut our geezers, and see what’s available in the free agent market over the winter.

The West is still winnable, and maybe, if we do make it to the postseason, we can get hot at the right time. The best team doesn’t always win the World Series. Case in point, the 2006 Cardinals.

Mark,

Best of luck in everything. One thing is for sure, you have your priorities in the right place.

4. Angel says:

Wish you all the best and cherish every minuite with your family. Life is good and we will miss you.

5. lawdog says:

All the best restructuring your relationship with your daughter, Mark. I’ve got similar problems with my own son who still live a couple of blocks away from his mother in California, and she HATES me. Without reason.

6. lawdog says:

If you’re watching the Dogs blow chunks on the television, and you’re wife nags you that she’d rather watch “Law and Order” reruns; are you less of a man if you insist on watching the Dodgers when they’re 0-7???

7. Jared Massey says:

Mark, I hope for the best for you and your daughter. Aaron and I will hold the fort until you’re ready to return.

From a Father who is in a similar situation, I couldn’t be happier for you. Good things happen if you want them to. We’ll always be here and I know I’ll be thinking of you. Peace Man.

From one father to another, GOOD FOR YOU!!

I know you will probably be checking in any blue blooded Dodger fan would but I think it is great for you to reconnect with your daughter. All the best to you Mark. When you come back we will all be right here!

10. Please tell me it worked right? I dont want to sumit it again if i do not have to! Either the blog glitced out or i am an idiot, the second option doesnt surprise me lol. thanks for a great blog!online education degree