I’m Not Going To Do It!

I’m Not Going To Do It!

I was going to do a post about how, no matter how microscopic his ERA, no matter how dominant he has been, no matter if he’s struck out everyone he’s faced, no matter what the stats

Big Sad Jon

say, that if you need that ONE BIG OUT, Jon Broxton won’t deliver.  I was going to write that the bigger the game, the smaller he becomes.  I was going to say that when JB came into the game, I said it was over, but, I decided not to.  I decided not to trash Jon Broxton, because, after all, he’s the best and the stats prove it, right?

Too many people would vilify me, castigate me and use big words and long numbers to prove that Broxton was the best closer in baseball, and I’m not going to go through that again, so I’ll bite my tongue.

I just wonder if the Dodgers can actually beat an AL team?  I really wonder if  Broxton can really deliver on a big stage?

Manny looked like a Spring Chicken – a stolen base?  Maybe he should lead off!

Let me spit this bitter stuff out of my mouth…

16 Responses to “I’m Not Going To Do It!”

1. GoNzO says:

Mark I’ve been saying this about Broxton since he became the closer. He doesn’t have the “it” factor to close. The ability and physical tools yes, but he lacks in the mental department big time.

He’s obviously not the guy you bring in for a hold, or to get that one out with runners in scoring position. Broxton is the guy you bring in to start, and finish, the 9th inning. There is a difference.

3. Jon Weisman says:

The reason picking on Saturday’s game would set you up to be criticized is simple. The premise ignores all the times – almost every other time – that Broxton comes through. He succeeds almost every time. In big games. In tie games. He delivers time and again. The only standard he doesn’t live up to is perfection. That’s why you “shouldn’t do it.”

Badger’s comment is also ridiculous – after all, Broxton first made his reputation as Saito’s setup man.

Actually Broxton pitched quite well until that last pitch. To me, it was all about location. And I’m not sure it’s all Broxton. He had Pedroia set up for a fastball in, and preferably up. He had been throwing everything, fastball and slider, down and away. Pedroia was clearly looking for something in that location, and he got it, a fastball down and towards the outer half of the plate.

I don’t know if it’s all Broxton. Martin, and perhaps Honeycutt have some culpability here. I’ve always thought that Broxton doesn’t pitch inside enough. He certainly has the stuff to pitch in there. He was ahead on the count with Pedroia, and could even have wasted a pitch up and in. In fact, if the decision was to pitch away, then UP and away would have been preferable. Even if Pedroia was anticipating the pitch away, throwing it upstairs would have at the very least changed his eye level. Also, a 99 mph fastball up is not an easy pitch to get on top of, even if you’re looking for it, and I doubt Pedroia was.

As hard as he throws, I’ve always contended that Broxton needs a third pitch. He’s worked on a splitter for several years, but for some reason has never used it in a game. Broxton is still only 26, and this is only his second full year of closing. I believe there is still a lot more room for growth. I wouldn’t be too quick to want to send him elsewhere.

Gee thanks Jon, you don’t come in here for months, but when you do you rip us.

Hey, I like Broxton. If you were a regular in here, you would know that. And yes, Broxton was a set-up guy for while and had decent numbers – a few blown saves, 30 some holds one year – but what number shows up last night? No blown save, is there a blown hold number? I think he is one of six in save opps. No Gagne, but not bad I guess.

He needs a change up or the good hitters are going to sit on that 99 mph fastball and do something with it.

• Jon Weisman says:

I didn’t rip you. I ripped a comment that I thought was off base. Don’t take it personally.

But I understand that what I wrote would be annoying given that I haven’t been around. So I apologize for that.

I absolutely agree with Weisman.

Broxton still suffers from the pitch he threw to Matt Stairs. I remember watching that game and telling myself that the last thing I wanted to see Stairs get was a fastball, no matter how hard. I had seen Stairs often enough to know that he was one of the best fastball hitters I had ever seen. That’s probably no longer the case, since I’m guessing age has finally caught up with him. But it was the case in 2008. Broxton didn’t choke in 2008. He just threw a fastball that happened to get hammered. It could just as easily have been popped up. And he didn’t choke yesterday. He threw the pitch where he wanted to, and Pedroia simply hit it. Give Pedroia some credit, just as you should have done for Stairs. The only thing I question about yesterday, as I noted above, was the location. And that was just as much Russell Martin as it was Broxton.

7. lawdog says:

That game winning hit off Big Jon last night was more a result of bad luck thean anything else. The hitter was overmatched and guessed fastball. His swing was so bad it looked more like a swinging bunt than anything else. Broxton started him off with two sliders–one at 90 mph, the other 89 which had great snap and were basically unhittable. Broxton is throwing that pitch much more often than last year, and it usually is an outstanding pitch.

The batter guessed right and Broxton threw the fastball at the knees. It had a little too much plate and not enough corner. It was a quality pitch and Pedrola got lucky that Loney couldn’t quite glove the soft liner. If he’d thrown the slider, he wold have struck the guy out. If he’d located the pitch up and in he would have struck him out.

In the post game show Pedrola, the hitter, said Broxton has the best stuff he’s ever seen. And he’s 10 times better this season that last now that he’s got a major league slider that he’s not afraid to throw. He just needs to use it as a strike out pitch more often and he’ll start looking like “Game Over” in his prime.

Badger,

I agree with you that Broxton needs a change or some other third pitch (splitter????). His slider was good yesterday, but that’s not always the case. However, as hard as he throws, his fastball is as straight as an arrow, unlike Kuo and Kershaw, each of whose fastballs explode as they reach the plate.

However, I do believe that he’s capable of coming in to get a single hitter, as long as he’s had some work in the previous few days. If he hasn’t had any work his control can be iffy. But yesterday he came in firing 99 mph, and threw a couple of nice sliders. Unfortunately he trusted his fastball, and lost. As I noted above, I thought it was due to poor location. But a change or splitter in that situation might have done the trick, especially since he was ahead in the count (I believe it was 1-2).

9. Mark Timmons says:

Jon Weisman,

Feel free to come in and rip us. I don’t take most of it personally and my logical mind agrees with you, but down deep I have this “gut feeling” that Jon Broxton can’t perform in a really tight situation. Maybe it’s irrational, but it just gnaws at me. I root for him and jump up and down when he saves a game, but when he ambles in from the pen in a tight game that the Dodgers really need, I begin to feel nauseated.

Now, I know you don’t come here everyday, but you do make it a point to read what I say when Brox blows a game, right? Come on, admit it!
    ;)

You don’t need to apologize!

10. Mark Timmons says:

I ALMOST FORGOT:

HAPPY FATHERS DAY, EVERYBODY!

11. Mark Timmons says:

I just read that Rafael Furcal’s father died.

12. Jaydavis says:

Who’s Idea was to convert JB as a closer perhaps try JB as a SP.
    Wishes out to the Furcal Fam

I was running out the door when I last posted, so, please allow me to apologize too. I was hasty in my response.

I think Broxton has the stuff to be one of the best closers of all time. I just think he needs to have something other than a straight heater and a slider. Pick one of those pitches and when you recognize the spin, lean on it. A straight change would make him impossible to hit. Just my opinion. Yesterday, Pedroia was waiting for the fastball and put a great swing on it, going with it to right field. Good at bat. Not a good pitching sequence.

As for his success rate, obviously it’s pretty good. But when you think about it, closers have three outs to get. That’s it. I wonder what the best starters numbers are for the first inning they work? And that is against the top of the order – the very best hitters on the opposing team. Here’s an example of what I mean – Ubaldo Jimenez – in his first 30 pitches, opposing hitters, the top of the lineup, are hitting .190 against him. Now he is the best, but I’ll bet if you take that stat and go through every team you will get outstanding numbers.

I still don’t know if I like bringing Broxton in with runners on base. I want him focusing on the 9th and only the 9th. His splits this year show scoring position with 2 outs opponents are hitting .294 against him. Just about every other number he has on his splits is outstanding.

We need a guy who can close down the 8th. And why that isn’t Belisario is mind boggling to me. Did you see his stuff last night? He has a 95 mph sinker that looks impossible to hit, yet, he gets hit. Batters overall are hitting .235 against him, but, WRISP? that goes to .308.

14. lawdog says:

You’re right about Bellisario Badger. He gets more movement on a 95-97 mph heater than other pitchers get on a slider. He shouldn’t even give up foul tips with his stuff. Problem? He’s wild in the strike zone. Even a 96 mph “sinker” that snaps down 18″ can be hit if you leave it between the knees and belt right down Broadway.

What Mark says about Broxton was true last year. He couldn’t throw his slider without hanging it and his pitches were straight as arrows. Now he has a monster slider–which is all he needs to go with his 100 mph heat if he’ll just throw it once in a while when the batter has been seeing fastballs and has 2 strikes. Now, he’ll throw the slider until he gets two strikes, then the batter can count on the heater and start their swing in a certain zone before he even releases the pitch. If they guess right on location, they’ll get at least a soft line drive or a blooper even with an excuse me swing. Hell, I could even hit him if I guess right, open up and start the swing in the location I’m expecting the ball before Jon releases it.

He actually gets good movement on some of his fastballs, but they are usually 95 or slower. The last fastball last night started on the outside half of the plate and then got good late movement right into the area the hitter had already started his swing to cover and it was coming at 101 mph.

He now has the same two pitches that made Nen an elite starter for the Giants about 10 years ago. A nasty slider at 90 mph is all you need to go with 100 mph heat that you can locate. Throw a little cutter at around 92-95 like he’s already doing and he won’t need a change up. If he took this long to perfect the slider, I’m afraid he won’t master a change of pace until he’s Jamie Moyer’s age.