Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins

This guy was at one time, a very good hitter.  Was it the Coors Factor?  He’s only 30, so it doesn’t seem likely that he’s just suddenly “lost it.”  He was born in Orange County and went to high school at Irvine and some University in Irvine too.  While not the greatest 3B, maybe a “homecoming” would benefit him.  What do you think?

Look at these stats:

Year 2B HR BA OB% RBI
2006 48 29 .329 .409 120
2007 35 25 .301 .377 111
2008 32 21 .286 .328 99

22 Responses to “Garrett Atkins”

1. Jaydavis says:

I would love to have him, but I think he’s headed to the Angles. Does anybody know if he was using juice

Some university in Irvine?????

It’s the University of California at Irvine homie. The Anteaters. And in April of this year, they were ranked #1 in the nation. (I think that was right above Indiana(.

Since you don’t know them, they have an excellent baseball program and I believe had 6 players drafted in Day 2 of the draft.

But, I think it’s important to note that Atkins went to UCLA, not UCI. He was a three time All American there.

Now, the question is, what happened to him the last two year? It’s like he suddenly developed Mondesi Disease and forgot how good he was.

I just read the Angels are interested. Hmm. Maybe going home would be good for him. He is FROM Irvine.

3. Mark Timmons says:

Some university in Irvine?????

That was a joke, Badger!

4. Mark Timmons says:

I think Atkins should return to the NL. Think Pat Burrell…

What would we do with Atkins? Has Loney been included in a Cliff Lee deal? If he replaced Casey Blake, Badger would just have a new guy to Badger on a daily basis. We would get a worse defender and someone to hit with a lower average then Kuroda. I hope we’re not saying Atkins would be an upgrade at 3rd. The guys on MLB network are speculating that Matt Kemp may be used as trade bait. What would happen next year when Manny and Kemp are both gone. Ethier would never see another strike. Wow things just aren’t looking up at the Ravine right now.

I think you are Badgering me Bill.

And I thought we were friends.

What has Casey Blake done that enamors you so? In his first year with us, he hit .250 with a .313 OBP. Wow. Last year, that improved to .280, but he only got 485 AB’s and he virtually disappeared in the play-offs. This year, he is back to his career numbers – .267 and .340. Not exactly corner infielder numbers now are they.

I don’t know that Atkins would be any worse. Since he is relatively young, somebody will pick him up. It’s not likely he has completely forgotten how to hit, he just landed in Baltimore, where players forget how to play. But the fact of the matter is, we already have a first baseman, and we have Blake signed for another year at $5.25 Mil. I suppose we could stretch that out over the next 4 years, it seems to be what we do with our geezers. As much as I believe we need an upgrade at 3b, methinks Blake, “The Foundation” is cemented in over there – until his next hammy – and we will look elsewhere for offensive help.

“That was a joke, Badger!”

So was the dig about Indiana. I know they don’t even play baseball there.

7. Mark Timmons says:

We don’t. We wear dresses and play with Barbie.

8. mark says:

I like Ken, but he doesn’t like me….

Joe is such a dolt. Rest 3 regulars? Two’s good, if he wants to rest a 3rd he should be the third. I say we trade at the deadline, even Joe can’t prevent the Titanic from sinking. Can we swap franchises with the Rays? Maybe Joe has Loney warming up in the bullpen. Anytime Joe sits James I turn into a Tasmanian Devil. Thanks Joe, it’s been real. We need Dodger people to turn the rudder, to get this ship on course. P.S. Yes USN 1973- 1977.

Oh yeah, not that I really miss him but is Dewhat still on the team?

My personal favorite is Malibu Barbie.

And yours?

12. mark says:

DeHu isn’t…

Don’t give up, Ken is still available. I can see the two of you together. He’s a little stiff, but I believe you can loosen him up.

I saw DeHu in concert back in ’69 in Anaheim. Or was it ’70 in Long Beach? Those years sort of blend together after a while.

Thank the Dodger Gods that we still have that old geezer playing 3rd base for us. The Foundation is alive.

15. Jared Massey says:

Insane decline + age = no thanks. Dude’s OPSing .562.

Yeah, Blake’s OPS for June is .612 and he has a total of 5 rbi’s for the entire month. And he is a corner infielder.

Way to be clutch Casey.

I am grateful the Foundation woke up for a game. I expect him to hibernate again starting tonight.

17. Jaydavis says:

Bench Blake, Dwitt at 3b,

18. Mark Timmons says:

1. The man wins the game last night.
    2. Blake has 8 HR to DeWitt’s 1 HR.
    3. Blake has about a 100 point higher slugging % (and he’s low for a 3B).
    4. Blake has a better arm.

AND YOU WANT TO REPLACE BLAKE WITH DEWITT?

I don’t really want to bench Blake, I want to replace him. DeWitt? Well, I can see why somebody might want to try him there. Maybe it’s a mental thing, he plays second base, he hits like a second baseman, he plays third……….?

20. Bootz says: