Ely’s Hummin’

Ely’s Hummin’

John Ely is simply amazing!  Who knew?  I wonder if his bubble will burst, but here’s the thing – he IS a PITCHER!  Dude flat out knows how to pitch.

On the DL

Matt Kemp is not a Bison.  He’s more like a Puma.  Pooommmm!    Was it me who predicted 40 HR for him (and Walkoff Ethier)?

The Dodgers have now dropped their team ERA to 4.12 (the Padres is rising).

All of the following is from Tony Jackson of ESPN/Los Angeles:

• Vincente Padilla is set to start his rebab this week and has a target date of June 18 for his major league return
  • George Cheryl pitched an inning at Inland Empire last night and promptly gave up three hits.  At least he has kept his form.  Honeycutt wants him to pitch at least one game in AAA before coming back.
  • And this:
McDonald suffers setback
James McDonald’s path back to the major leagues has taken another unexpected turn.

The lanky right-hander, who was 4-1 with a 5.05 ERA in nine starts for Albuquerque, suffered a serious right-hamstring pull while running the bases last Wednesday night against Reno. McDonald was caught in a moment of indecision as to whether to slide or go into second base standing as he attempted to break up a double play.

McDonald is presently on the seven-day DL and is at the Dodgers’ spring-training facility in Glendale, Ariz., where he is throwing off flat ground. But he isn’t expected to return to pitching competitively anytime soon.

“It’s a significant strain,” Dodgers trainer Stan Conte said. “It’s not a small one. We call it a Grade 2 out of a possible three. We’ll just have to see how long it takes. We don’t believe it’s a matter of days. It’s longer than that.”

McDonald is 5-5 with a 3.65 ERA in four starts and 45 relief appearances for the Dodgers over the past two seasons, and he pitched 5 1/3 shutout innings over two appearances in the postseason two years ago. He came to spring training this year as a slight favorite amid a large field of competitors to win the fifth spot in the starting rotation, but he had a poor showing in the Cactus League and was optioned on March 20.

16 Responses to “Ely’s Hummin’”

I do not know about the Dontrelle Willis trade. What the D-Backs did trade, we know, but what other teams might have offered, we do not know (for sure).

We do not know how serious Ned might have been. If not, maybe he does have something working that is much bigger than Dontrelle. But he will have to do something . . . most of here know that the Dodgers do not have enough pitching, especially in the starting variety. Trying to decide who is the #5 starter when neither suspect is a real major league starter — is terrible.

Beating teams like the D-Backs is one thing, to be in the post season with key starting pitching and very key relief and closers — is another.

Hey, Matt has come a long way since Ned called him out on national TV. Some folks were glad to hear Ned do it —– other folks thought it in poor taste and keep it in the clubhouse.

What we do not know is maybe Ned had already done that and took the next step — publicly.

But Kemp did make a change in playing and attitude — and has really stepped up his play. Heck, he makes one or more key outfield plays every game !!!

I take my hat off to him.

Nice win last night. I stayed with the game till the end.

Remember a couple of years ago, toward the end of the season — Ethier had to leave the starting roster for a week or so (was it a birth, or death, or something) and he had been very hot at the plate up until then — and coming back it took him a number of games to get his hitting eye back, and his average dropped a bit.

Is that happening again???

3. SpokaneBob says:

I think Ethier is just fine. Second game back and he hit the ball hard his first two time at bat.

Last night Grace or his partner in the both said Ely went 14 – 2 last year in the minors – I think they said AA but it could have been single A. They also said that he won in high school and he won in college.

I love the way he concentrates. Kind of like Kevin Costner in “For the Love of the Game”. Especially when it a key situation. You can just see it happening.

I expect Carlos to do well today. If that happens, with Padilla returning soon, I think we can wait for the trade deadline to get another starter. Or maybe we won’t need one until this winter.

Great memory Roger!! Ethier left the team for the birth of his son and he cooled off when he came back. I think he will pick it up soon although it will be right about All Star break soon.

Great win and another great performance by Ely. This kid is becoming my favorite. He is much more consistant than Bills or Kershaw. You can bank on strike one to every hitter and almost guarantee 7 innings out of him and 3 or less earned runs. As much attention as the other two young pitchers get this kid has out performed them in almost every category except K’s. And remember he is in Padilla’s rotation spot which is why he is drawing other team’s #1 (i.e. Haren). If Bills pitched last night and gave up the bombs he did his last outing, we lose. Bills pitched a hell of a game. But Ely is Mr. Zero, the kid is money and his ERA is shrinking by the minute!

Notta to worry Roger, with Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier hitting 40, 4 guys driving in 100, Kershaw and Bills pitching 200 innings and winning 18 each, and Furcal an Blake having a career years, the Dodgers won’t need any more pitching. Remember, they are going to win 96+ games and cruise to the World Championship.

Ely does what Kershaw and Billingsley cannot. He throws to his spots. This kid has less talent than Kershaw and Bills, but has more heart and smarts than either of them. He never topped 89 last night and had that lineup eating out of his hand. I like this kid.

I don’t know if Ethier is pain free yet. He had a couple of swings where he winced. He also is holding that finger straight out – and that can’t be good. Wish we could rest him another few weeks.

The dbacks look horrible. It’s as if they are sitting around waiting for the snake to bite. They have better skills than they are showing. Oh well. Better them than the Dodgers.

Badger,

The splint that Ethier is wearing keeps that finger out as I understand it.

7. Mark Timmons says:

Roger,

I truly believe that Ned is not going after re-treads. He knows we need another BIG arm and I think his sites are set on Cliff Lee, who could be available in as little as 30 days, if the Mariners continue to lag (which I think they will). It would not surprise me if he has asked for the first right of refusal on Lee. I think it would take one TOP prospect (Withrow or Martin), one intermediate prospect (Lambo or Paul) and one low level prospect. If Jansen were in the deal, it would be done.

Lee is a “rent-a-pitcher” and will be a free agent at which time the Dodgers could offer him arbitration and sign him or not!

I predict that Cliff Lee will be a Dodger.

Badger,

There are elements of truth in every lie. I said some of some of those things.

;)

Can’t be easy, or natural, to hit with a splint on your finger.

Yeah, you said those things all right mover. Maybe you could post them again so I could copy and reference them? Maybe not.

But I do think you are on to something with your Lee proposal. If we can get to the deadline and be in it, which I believe we will, Ned just might pull that trigger. I don’t know how I feel about it. Under the circumstances, I have my doubts that this team is built to win it all. Maybe. I suppose you have to give yourself the shot at it. Nobody in the West is going to run off and hide, so, we should be contenders into September. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, Ned is able to do. Who knows, maybe there will be another Manny type deal out there – somebody trying to dump a malcontent with an enormous contract – and Ned can pull another one out of his derriere. And suddenly the Phillies look vulnerable. I would love to see somebody else win that division as the Phils know they can handle us. Atlanta doesn’t know that.

OK, gametime.

9. lawdog says:

Regarding Ely? He’ the man! Who knew? I’ve been telling you guys that since his second start. He might not look like an elite power pitcher but he has unhittable stuff. New Prediction: Ely will be our ace come 2011! :shock:

10. lawdog says:

I don’t know if you heard or not, but BP’s latest attempt to stop the oil flow this morning actually increased the gush by 20% and failed when their saw became stuck before completing the slicing of the top off the pipe. They now say even the relief well that won’t be operative until the middle of August is not a guarantee to stop the flow. Obama has ordered a second relief well in the event the first one fails. A petroleum engineer on the news said hitting the hole with the second well was the equivalent of hitting a needle in a haystack with a handgun from 100 feet. BP acknowledges that degree of difficulty (although they don’t use that same language.)

What are your thoughts about this problem? I really think this could be the beginning of the end for our planet. If they can’t stop the flow, it will kill the life in the ocean. We already have multiple dead zones in the Pacific probably caused by passed lesser spills. It’s a huge ocean, but if they can’t stop the flow and instead keep try to disperse it with toxic dispersion chemicals like they’ve been doing,, they just spread it further and further with no relief in sight. If the ocean dies, our planet does too.

I know many of you probably think of me as an alarmist because of my doom and gloom predictions on the economic situation, but believe me, I’m dead sober and calm on this one. If they can’t stop that gusher where will we be come 12/21/12? :shock: :shock: :shock:

11. lawdog says:

I want everyone to know that half the lies they tell about me are not true! ;)

BP should have to pay. Period. Bankrupt them if you have to, but they must pay.

The Dodgers offense looks a little stymied in this series. Unearned runs and a balk to win game 1, 1 run in 10 innings in game 2, and 1 bloop hit and no runs so far against Jackson. BTW, Jackson just threw a 95 mph fastball through the screen behind home plate. He has topped out at 97. How come this guy can’t win?

13. Anonymous says:

lawdog – I live in Nova Scotia. There is no doubt in my mind that the oil spewing from that well will be carried north by the Gulf Stream and pollute the fishing banks off Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Tha Gulf Stream could take it all the way to the North Sea. The colder waters would no doubt cause something different to happen to it but there is the possibility of a masive disaster beyond the Gulf States. Getting into the warmer current could take it worldwide. I don’t want to be an alarmist either but I think the damage that will be done is beyond our present understanding or at least beyond what we want to admit.

14. Anonymous says:

I don’t understand why I am now “Anonymous”

Wow. Another strange game. The dbacks pitchers held the Dodgers to 5 earned runs in 32 innings, and lost all three games! How does that happen?

The dbacks can’t hit anymore, that’s how it happens. They are stinking the joint up.

But, I’ll take the gimmies when they come.

Monastarios with a very good 5 innings. Have we found our needed starters right in our own dugout? Well, someone a while back said “what you see is what we are going to get.” How prophetic.

just saw the end of the Tigers No-Hitter / perfect game through 26 outs, and the call at first base. So a one-hitter.

The ump missed the call.

Even the announcers called for instant replay in baseball for close calls like that.

1:44 minutes for the game.

Centerfielder for the Tigers made one great catch in the 9th inning.

Badger, our house ump, what would have been your call on the play at first???