Bud Selig: Man or Mouse?

Bud Selig:  Man or Mouse?

Squeak Up, Bud!

Jim Joyce manned up and admitted that he blew the call and cost Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers a perfect game.

After the game, with tears in his eyes Joyce said ”I just cost that kid a perfect game.”  Jim Joyce felt so bad that he came to the Tigers clubhouse and apologized in person.  Joyce is human.  He made a mistake.  He admitted it and is genuinely sorry.  I don’t feel like beating him up for it.  He made a bad mistake, but not on purpose.  That part is over, but this is a situation which can be set right by non other than the commissioner of baseball, Bud Selig.

A few years ago, my company received a check in the mail for $254,000.00 from a fortune 500 company.  The problem was that the check was supposed to be for $254.00!  A mistake had been made in accounting and we called and it was corrected.  A $254,000.00 check was nicer than a $254 check, but it was the right thing to do.  In this case, Jim Joyce made a mistake on the final out of a perfect game.  The end result of the game would be the same.

A perfect game is rare.  Less than 25 times in the history of the game have the baseball gods aligned the stars for one to occur.  They were aligned yesterday.  It happened.  It’s a lie to say otherwise.  Will Bud let the lie stand?  He has the power to make things right.  Just like we returned that erroneous check, he can overrule that erroneous call.  Armando Galarraga’s name was taken out of the record books by a lie.

Bud Selig, are you a man or a mouse?  Come on, squeak up!

Dodger Lore:

• I think there is a good chance that Travis Schlichting will go back to AAA today.  The Dodgers need fresh arms after yesterdays game.  Jon Link is the obvious choice and he’s been pitching well of late.  Travis will be back.  He was impressive.
  • Carlos Monasterios alleged developed a blister which prevented him from going 6.  I wonder if he’ll be OK for his next start?
  • The Dodgers team ERA now sits at 3.99!
  • The Atlanta Braves are the hottest team in baseball – This is a real test!
  • Where are the Jamey Carroll bashers now?  This guy has been simply outstanding!  The lunatics who blasted Ned for this deal are simply what I just called them.
  • Garrett Anderson’s hit wasn’t much of a hit, but it won the game.  That’s the long and short of it!
  • What a bullpen!!!!!
  • Of all the people who bad-mouthed me for saying the Dodgers were going to be a very good team this year, only Lawdog has manned up and apologized!
  • It looks like Jared may have been abducted by aliens.  If he doesn’t get the minor league report up, I’ll do it later.

32 Responses to “Bud Selig: Man or Mouse?”

They should have instant replay where each team gets one per game and if you challenge a call and get it right, you get one more challenge. It will slow the game just a few more minutes but get the important calls right. This would be non balls and strikes calls only.

On another subject – where oh where has the offense gone, oh where oh where can it be? Everyone is talking about how bad the Diamondbacks offense is but what about the Dodgers? We are just a tick better then the Snakes. With the hard schedule coming up I can see disaster if the bats don’t wake up soon.

Ely is the man, they need to change the section at Dodger stadium from Mannywood to Elywood. I can see him being a huge hit in LA if he continues to pitch like he has. That’s all I’ve got. Peace

2. lawdog says:

I think it was Jerry Ruess who pitched a no hit no walk game in ancient history now, but he had to pitch to 28 batters. Seems a routine grounder was booted by one of ouwr infielders. At the time, I thought his feet was similar to the 11 innings of perfect pitching Harvey Haddox threw before giving up some hits, runs and the game in the 12th. I guess I was right. Neither Reuss or Haddox are remembered for throwing “better than perfectos” as I thought they should.

This kid is going to fall into the same category. Baseball should have a special category for pitchers that get more than 27 batters out without walking or giving up a hit. The kid the other day got 28 straight outs, give the umpire the error in the history book and put his name ou there with Reuss and Haddox. Call him better than “perfect.”

3. lawdog says:

“Feet”? Damn, I meant to type “feat”. Now I’ll look stupid for eternity! Where’s that edit button? Is it really that expensive Mark?

4. lawdog says:

Better hunker down folks. If our offense doesn’t wake up, and I really don’t expect it will, expect to go 0-4 the next 4 games. :shock:

The Braves aren’t the lowly D-Backs. We won’t be able to wait until the 14th inning to score our first run on a blooper that the cfer just barely misses. The Braves are the hottest team in baseball right now. We can beat up the Snakes with great pitching but don’t expect the Braves to roll over like Arizona did. :roll:

Nice story about the money mover, but we all know if you cash that check you would be in serious trouble. That is fraud, and some people go to jail for it. Not everyone of course. Some people are above the law. You might be in the pay grade that falls into that category, but, I doubt it.

The ump blew it. You know it, I know it and the American people know it. He knows it too. As a former ump, sometimes you just get caught in the heat of the moment and you make the wrong call. I think I might have asked the home plate ump, who is supposed to be watching the play, if he saw it differently. Confer, then make a call. You can do that. This is too important a play to get wrong. The important thing is to get it right. He didn’t. History was made, but it is a history Joyce would sure like to re-write.

I have changed my mind on Carroll. I like him. I still think he is a back-up, but a damned good one. He is scrappy and can play multiple positions. He reminds me of David Eckstein.

Yeah ldog, the Braves are not the lowly dbacks. They will score more than 0, you can bet on that. Will we?

“Of all the people who bad-mouthed me for saying the Dodgers were going to be a very good team this year, only Lawdog has manned up and apologized!”

Come on man, you are asking for something you don’t deserve. Most of us have said the Dodgers are a good team and should win the West. None of us but you think they will win 96+. If they do, then I will do the 500. If they don’t, then you will do the 500. Interestingly enough, they are currently on pace for 94.77 wins, which means you do the 500 today. It’s really very early mover. Don’t be begging for apologies before July. That’s just goofy.

6. lawdog says:

Watch out Badger! Most of the time people round up fractions. If the IRS does, shouldn’t Mark do so as well? ;)

Then it’s a push. We can’t have that. One of us has to get down and give 500.

8. lawdog says:

Ah, worry not. Unless one of 162 games gets rained out and isn’t made up, no way we wind up with a fraction representing our wins art the end of the year! ;)

“Armando Galarraga’s name was taken out of the record books by a lie.”
    That’s kinda harsh Mark. It was a human mistake not a lie.

If Bud changed the ruling.
    How would this work Mark? If Bud agreed with you and changed the ruling to make this a perfect game, how would the stats be handled for the hitter that made the last out? Would they say that he never came to the plate and change his stats? Or would you keep the stats of that hitter the same but the perfect game still counts? Bud would open up a can of worms in my opinion because human error has always been a part of the game from the early beginning. But I do feel sorry for Galarraga.

Actually, I would be pleased with 95 wins. That would likely win the West. Home field? It worked last year.

If the team holds together, it is possible to play at .590. Possible. But, likely? It’s a long season and this team looks like one that could be very streaky. An injury to one of our geezers, a freak thing like what happened to Ethier, Ely and Monastarios get figured out by the league…. so many things need to go right for this team to win as many as last year’s team did. I just don’t believe this year’s team is as good as last year’s team. Manny is a year older and off roids, Blake is also a year older and is a hammy waiting to happen. Kemp won the Silver Slugger and Gold Glove. Will he repeat that? Martin is catching a lot of games, DeWitt is no Hudson, though it looks like we have patched up the rotation, it’s still a ?. 95? Maybe. Hope so.

Badger, I hear you but have you ever seen the glass half full?

I am looking at this team as half full. More like 3/4 full really. Last year, 7/8 full. All we needed was Halladay last year. This year? Well, Halladay would help. So would Jimenez. Price. Pelfrey. Heck, even Lowe would look good in our rotation. Real good.

13. lawdog says:

Bud needs to make a special category for “no hitters” where a pitcher has gotten more than 27 outs while giving up no hit and no walks. Put Ruess, Haddox and Galleraga in that category. They are “better than perfect” and need to be recognized ahead of the 21 pitchers who have thrown perfectos.

As far as Ethier, Ely and Montosarios holding up over the long season, remember the 88 Dogs. Miracles can happen. But whatever you do, don’t trade Ely or Montasarios. They are the future of a lights out rotation–much more valuable than a Lee “rent-a-pitcher” at the end of the season.

Don’t trade nuggets for a brief fling with a magician–here for a few weeks and then he’s gone! :shock:

Big storm here in Texas last night, and the internet did not come back on till about an hour ago. I posted a remark to Lawdog on the folder before this, then realized that no one would see it because this folder already has 18 posts.

See Mark, confusing . . . so here it is:

Lawdog, we discussed here earlier this year the expected costs to keep “the core.”

If the core is: Martin, Loney, Ethier, Kemp, Broxton, C-Bills, & Kershaw — they all get over 10,000,000 each. Some closer to 15,000,000 maybe. Add another key pitcher and SS. Play with a younger 3rd outfielder, 2nd and 3rd baseman. I think they salary goes towards 130,000,000 to 150,000,000.

So how much can they charge of parking, Dodgerdogs, and popcorn???

When Mark and I met with Logan White, he even told us me had mentioned to Loney –”I might have to trade you some day . . .”

The thing is ldog, when you have the chance, you must go for it. How long do the Dodgers keep the core together? And with the impending d hanging over the organization collective heads, this could be it. The Dodgers just might be one ace away from the World Series. This is a team that, if all goes right, could win it all with the right addition.

Of course, it could also be a team that is a queen (Jamie), a joker (Frankie) and a pair of silk suited $1500 an hour awacatos away from not making the play-offs too.

16. lawdog says:

Roger–where is Walter O’Malley when we need him? I hadn’t thought about the horrific cost of keeping our core, but with McCheap in charge of the franchise, your point is well taken. ;)

17. lawdog says:

Badge–I’m just sick of trading away our future for one last shot at the gold ring. Even if we managed to win it all one year by mortgaging our future for one key starter for one year, I’d feel bd about it. Look at the Santana for Manny trade if Santana turns out to be the best hitting catcher in the league for 7 or 8 years?

Actually, trading minor leaguers with potential for Lee wouldn’t bother me. But Ely and Montasario should be strictly off limits, just like Kurveshaw and C-Note. Hell, both of them are better right now than either Kurveshaw or C-Note. When you have aces in your hand, you’re foolish to give them up for a shot in the dark.

18. lawdog says:

Roger–I guess you could trade Martin and Loney for prospects without damaging the integrity of the core, but you better make a pretty astute trade! We’d need to get winners, not also-rans.

The team that wants it most makes those kind of trades ldog – the future is now. What ‘will’ happen does not bring in b.i.s. revenue today.

Which reminds me, yesterday afernoon I saw something I have never seen. The camera was on Ryal who had just switched to 1b and in the background I saw 1 fan sitting within the camera’s field, he was surrounded by empty yellow seats. I have never seen so few people in attendance at a Dodger game. Now, technically we are 3rd in draw, but if you check % of seats filled – we are 11th.

Take a close look at these figures:

Houston, Florida, Washington and Cleveland all draw better on the road than do the Dodgers. If you count just butts in seats, it looks worse.

I guess people just don’t think the Big Blue is all that these days.

21. Jdavis says:

It’s still early 100 more games to play. I wouldn’t make a trade, we have are ACE now in Ely. The game Bill’s pitched the other day something clicked in that head of his. Carrol over payed backup! I
    don’t understand why GA is still on the team.
    I have to say the Dodgers pitching looks good I hope we don’t change a thing unless we get both Oswalt and Lee

22. lawdog says:

McCheap has a lot to do with it. Did you know that if you want to see the Dogs play the Yanks, you have to buy a 7 game package? They advertise them on the Dodgers network and indicate no tickets for the games will be sold on a game by game basis. Good old McCheap is always looking for a way to leverage anybody and anything he can. God I wish he’d just go get lost! (I’d have said drop dead, but then we’d have the Screaming Meanie owning the team and I’d have to deal with the karma.) :shock:

23. Jdavis says:

Lawdog what’s the deal with all the billboards how much moneysdies McCheeap make off of those? Little league style

24. lawdog says:

I don’t know J Davis. I’m stuck up here in Seattle and haven’t seen the billboards. I was just commenting on how McCheap was trying to parlay the Yankee series into forced 7 game package purchases. Either buy the seven game package or you can’t see the Dogs and Yanks. That’s scumbag marketing at the worst! Very Cheeky, don’t you think? I saw the adds for that on MLB. Extra Innings which I get on Comcast up here in the Pacific Northwest, where moss grows on your food if you don’t eat it fast enough! ;)

25. Jdavis says:

Yes very cheeky

PTI made a strong pitch for Selig to do the right thing and give the kid the perfect game. He could do that. I doubt he does. So, I give him another set of mouse ears.

“If you want to see the Yankees, it’s going to cost you.

Welcome to the modern world of ticket sales. Old timers — well, everyone really — may find this annoying, but it is the latest trend in ticket sales. Same with the announcement that the Dodgers will charge $2 or $3 more for games on Saturdays.

The Dodgers will put single-game tickets on sale March 6 but will not sell individual tickets to the Yankees series, scheduled June 25-27. The Dodgers are reserving those tickets for fans buying season seats or packages of 14, 21 or 28 games, the team announced Monday.

Dodgers spokesman Josh Rawitch said the team anticipates demand sufficient to sell out all three games via ticket packages. If individual tickets for any Yankees game remain available, they would be put on sale at a later date, he said
    Why? Basic supply and demand. More people want to go to games on Saturday, and they’ll pay more to do so. At least that’s the logic.

People want to see the see the Yankees so badly, they will buy tickets to see the Astros and Padres and whatever other teams may be in those ticket packages. It may not work, but it may very well.

The Dodgers are not alone with this. Some NBA teams this year varied their ticket prices based on who the opponent was — it costs more to go see the Lakers than the Timberwolves. Again, the idea is basic supply and demand, charging more for the games where the demand is there.”

It’s a break with tradition, but it fits in line with capitalism. You charge more where you can, you make a bigger profit. Complain if you want, but it is the way the pendulum is swinging.

Of course, you’d like to think that the Dodgers will plow those extra profits back into the team… but don’t bet on it.”

I would hope people would tell the McCheap’s to shove it.

People won’t. They will pucker up and hand over the money. Sheeple.

28. lawdog says:

Well they’ve reversed the idea of putting remaining tiockets for games against the Yanks on sale later! If you don’t buy at least a 7 game package, you can’t buy a ticket to see the Dogs and Yanks on a single game basis.

Damn you, McCheap! Have you no feelings at all for the poorer fans in LA? This isn’t the Lakers selling front row seats, you know! :evil:

According to that article, you have to buy at least a 14 game package, with the Yankees in it. So, you are saying you have to buy a 7 game package with the Yankees in it? Well, that isn’t as bad. I still hope they don’t sell out. If they don’t, you can bet there will be walk-up tickets available up with the seagulls or deep in the pavilions.

30. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

Schlicting down, Haeger back…. probably in middle relief. as much as I love Charlie, can’t put him in the rotation with the way things are going with our effective pitching. He could be great in middle relief.. and if anything happens, he could fill in as an emergency starter.

If his issues were injury-related and he can get back to the pitcher lawdog claimed he was…. watch out National League, we might have ourselves a winner.

31. lawdog says:

Haeger was “all that” in AAA last year. Had an ERA around 3.00 and nobody had more quality starts. I don’t know what happened to him when he finally got his chance in the bigs. I feel sorry for him. The Dogs must feel he has potential or they would have just designated him and watched to see if anybody picked him up.

A knuckle baller has to have nerves of steel. If his adrenalin was running, it would make him slightly over throw the dancer and make it roll. I think that’s what happened to him. Hopefully, this time back he won’t feel the pressure like that and will throw that pitch like he did in AAA last season.

There has been some very interesting talk on MLB TV, Home Plate (XM), Mike & Mike Show, Dan Patrick Show (TV version on DirecTV) on the almost no-hitter yesterday.

Wanting the commissioner to overturn the 1 hitter, on the use of video for games and thus adding some 15 more umpires placing one at each game and probably a small staff with the ump. Bob Costes had some interesting takes on it.

Tonight, rolling into town is a very tough Braves team.