Jim Joyce manned up and admitted that he blew the call and cost Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers a perfect game.
After the game, with tears in his eyes Joyce said ”I just cost that kid a perfect game.” Jim Joyce felt so bad that he came to the Tigers clubhouse and apologized in person. Joyce is human. He made a mistake. He admitted it and is genuinely sorry. I don’t feel like beating him up for it. He made a bad mistake, but not on purpose. That part is over, but this is a situation which can be set right by non other than the commissioner of baseball, Bud Selig.
A few years ago, my company received a check in the mail for $254,000.00 from a fortune 500 company. The problem was that the check was supposed to be for $254.00! A mistake had been made in accounting and we called and it was corrected. A $254,000.00 check was nicer than a $254 check, but it was the right thing to do. In this case, Jim Joyce made a mistake on the final out of a perfect game. The end result of the game would be the same.
A perfect game is rare. Less than 25 times in the history of the game have the baseball gods aligned the stars for one to occur. They were aligned yesterday. It happened. It’s a lie to say otherwise. Will Bud let the lie stand? He has the power to make things right. Just like we returned that erroneous check, he can overrule that erroneous call. Armando Galarraga’s name was taken out of the record books by a lie.
Bud Selig, are you a man or a mouse? Come on, squeak up!
- I think there is a good chance that Travis Schlichting will go back to AAA today. The Dodgers need fresh arms after yesterdays game. Jon Link is the obvious choice and he’s been pitching well of late. Travis will be back. He was impressive.
- Carlos Monasterios alleged developed a blister which prevented him from going 6. I wonder if he’ll be OK for his next start?
- The Dodgers team ERA now sits at 3.99!
- The Atlanta Braves are the hottest team in baseball – This is a real test!
- Where are the Jamey Carroll bashers now? This guy has been simply outstanding! The lunatics who blasted Ned for this deal are simply what I just called them.
- Garrett Anderson’s hit wasn’t much of a hit, but it won the game. That’s the long and short of it!
- What a bullpen!!!!!
- Of all the people who bad-mouthed me for saying the Dodgers were going to be a very good team this year, only Lawdog has manned up and apologized!
- It looks like Jared may have been abducted by aliens. If he doesn’t get the minor league report up, I’ll do it later.