Go Big or Stay Home

Go Big or Stay Home

Loney Fouling Off Pitch - Photo by Roger Sobin

I have been saying for some time now that the Dodgers need to GO BIG OR STAY HOME.  Sign Oswalt or Lee, forget journeymen like Wolf.  The Dodgers wanted no part of Hudson or Wolf because of what they might have made in arbitration.  It’s true that the Dodgers have payroll constraints, but it’s not nearly what you may think.  The Dodgers ARE players for Lee and Oswalt – it won’t happen until July I don’t think, but if they had gotten stuck with Wolf or Hudson, they could not do that.  Randy Wolf beat John Lackey in EVERY statistical category last year, and Lackey makes $18 million. If I were Wolf’s agent, I would certainly be able to argue that he’s worth as much as Lackey, while asking less.    Kim Ng would have a hard time beating that argument.

Not having Wolf has enabled the Dodgers to discover ELY.  Right now, would you trade Wolf for Ely? I wouldn’t!  I’d rather have Hudson at 2B than what we have, but not for $8-11 mil!  Would he have taken arbitration?  Most of the writers think not.  A number of people inside the organization think he would have.  I can tell you this – none of us fully understand the dynamics of what happened between Torre and O-Dog and it may be entirely different from what we think.  It’s possible that Torre was “hiding an injury for O-Dog in his Free Agent year.  We may never know.   Personally, I don’t think O-Dog would have accepted arbitration, but the possibility was there, and if he had, that would have crippled the Dodgers plans to add a TOP Tier Pitcher.

I believe that the key to the Dodgers winning it all this year hinges upon finding a BIG ARM, like Oswalt, Greinke or Lee. The Dodgers have more than enough offense to win, and while the defense has looked bad, it will improve.  The rest of the pitching staff is solid and there are troops at the ready in the minors.  The Dodgers can’t tell you all this, but I can.

Dodger News

• Charlie Haegar officially has “turf toe.”  Is that anything like “missile toe”?
  • James Loney had a bonehead play last night in getting picked off 2B.  He just kept on walking towards the clubhouse when it happened.  James said it was stupid.  It was stupid.  Now move on…
  • Chad Billingsley had his best outing of the year last night going 8 strong innings after giving up 3 early home runs.  Let’s dispel the myth that’s he’s not mentally strong.  After the 3 bombs, he settled in to retire 19 out of the last 21 hitters and struck out 11 while walking none.  He kept focus and didn’t let the bad start beat him.  Excellent start!
  • The D-Backs gift wrapped that win and I’ll take it!
  • Casey Blake does lots of things that don’t show up in the box score, such as creating a balk.
  • If the Tigers can’t trade Dontrelle Willis, I would be willing to give up a PTBNL (Lambo) for him, providing the Tigers pay 90% of his salary.
  • I cannot for the life of me, understand why Garrett Anderson is on the roster.  He must have photos of Colletti and Torre in some compromising position…

24 Responses to “Go Big or Stay Home”

Sometimes you win games with strong hitting.

Sometimes you win games with great pitching.

Sometimes you win games because the other team gives it to you:

wild pitch with the winning runner at third base,
    bad throws in the field,
    balks,
    errors,
    and so on.

So, the Dodger will take the win . . . and come back and try to do it tonight with pitching and hitting. Face it, you can only win so many games with the other team giving you a win.

From what I saw of those 3 HR pitches by Chad last night, most of those pitches were balls left out over the middle of the plate. And after he gave those up, he seemed to just be throw a ball with a follow-up off rhythm motion. At least, that is what I saw.

I spent Thur, Fri, Sat, and Sunday in Dallas at a Nikonians camera series of workshops. Small classes with 15. As the senior LADodgerTalk photographer, i want to learn all I can to take better pictures. The picture Mark used for this discussion (picture above of Loney) I took in Spring Training at a night game in Phoenix against the A’s.

Wow, those Padres are playing some great baseball. Who would have thought over the winter that they would be playing like this and in first place.

Mark,

If I understand the MLB rules, Willis’s salary will be 100% covered by the Tigers we would only be on the hook for the league minimum if he is released. He does want to play on the West Coast…so even though there is no evidence the Dodgers are interested, I say take a chance on him.

Also I 100% agree about the “go big, or stay home” idea. Lee or Oswalt should be our targets. My anxiety is whom to we part with? I would be very hesitant to part with anyone on the ML roster. I am not saying it is out of the question but damn it would hurt to see someone like Loney go. We will see.

Casey the Foundation caused the balk…although I know that may have been tongue in cheek, Casey did distract the D-back pitcher just enough. Also Bowa and Casey sold the 2nd base umpire on the call. The 3B ump had his back turned (way to go blue). But lets be honest, that was NOT a balk. I’ll take the win but the poor guy stepped off the rubber, and Tim Tesheda (2B ump) was way late calling the balk leading me to believe he didn’t see it well either. It is a weak call inn that situation, ending a game. I am glad I wasn’t called against us I think we would all be beyond pissed.

Good day boys.

I agree with the 3rd base ump. I thought I saw him looking away, thinking about dinner after the game or something . . .

But Casey Blake was leading the call. I also saw the pitcher step off the rubber. But he probably made his big mistake when he pointed his hand, arm, finger at Casey and third base — so the umps agreed and called the game.

If I would have been the D-Backs manager, I would have run onto the field, yelling and screaming “no, no he stepped off.” Call it no pitch. The worst the umps would have done — is to have walked off the field, changed clothes and gone to dinner.

I agree with Romo and Roger. I watched the balk repeatedly on the Arizona broadcast, Grace said “by definition” it could have been called, but to decide a game on something like that is rather weak. He made an attempt to step off the rubber, it looked like that was his first move but the whole thing was jerky. I don’t know. I’ll take it, but to win like this, the two unearned in the 8th and a group of umps looking at their wristwatches just doesn’t leave me feeling good about it.

As for what Mark continues to trumpet, I have said over and over how I feel about the topic. To use the Lackey contract as justification for not offering arbitration is just a reach by a Dodger fan. That contract is nearly as ludicrous as the one Jed offered Andruw. There are numerous contracts out there that could be used to support any argument. For example, if Adrian Gonzalez is only worth $4.875 million…. fill in whatever response you would like.

The Dodgers didn’t offer arb to either player out of FEAR they would accept. I really believe ODog would have, justifiably so, told the Dodgers to stick it. L.A. was satisfied going with the .250 hitting DeWitt with the stable if not spectabulous Carroll as back-up. The Dodgers gambled, and lost, on Padilla and Haeger. The Dodgers appeared to get it right with Ely, but let’s not forget he and Link are costing the Dodgers $11 million.

We still have a good team out there. If everyone stays on the field, big if, we should be fine. Any more injuries to key players, especially our pitching staff, it could be real trouble.

If Willis cost nothing, he is the perfect fit for the Dodgers.

I’ll say it again. I do not miss holding my breath with every play that involved Orlando Hudson. by the way he missed a couple games due to his balky wrist. the guy is FRAGILE and too scary to invest in for my taste. DeWitt/Carrol is good enough for me.

“DeWitt/Carrol is good enough for me.”

Terrific. You should be a happy guy.

I am a Hudson fan. I like the guy. His teammates like him. 4 out of the last 5 Gold Gloves looks good to me too, and he would have had 5 of 5 had he not banged up his wrist in ’08. He is currently 2nd in the A.L. in runs scored and though he did bang up his wrist, it is said to be just a bruise and he should be back soon.

Fragile? I don’t know why you would say that. You might want to look at games played before you stick to that take. He had a wrist injury in ’08. Stuff happens. That event does not make him fragile. He played in 149 games for us last year. How many current Dodgers will get that many this year?

7. Kevin says:

Best outing of the season Mark? Hardly. His best outing was in San Diego where he threw 8 scoreless innings. It’s not rocket science.

8. lawdog says:

We can have Dontrell for the league minimum once he refuses to be designated for assignment. I wouldn’t give up Mendoza for him in a trade. (You know, the real famous Mendoza.) But for a looksee as the #5 starter for the major league minimum? It’s a no -brainer. And he wants to come to the left coast.

9. lawdog says:

Since Dontrell is young and never relied on his heater to get people out, I don’t see why he can’t turn it around wearing Dodger Blue. We shouldn’t count on Padilla or Haeger getting the job done this year. I think that means we really have little choice but to sign Dontrell if the opportunity presents itself.

Badger,

How many times did he come out of the game last year because of minor nicks for precautionary reasons. He may come back in the next couple of days but he is an accident waiting to happen. He has been for a while and will live with 1 year contracts the rest of his career because of that. I liked him a lot too but I didn’t love him the way a lot of you guys did/do. I’m over it and over him too.

Rosenthal is reporting the Cards are kicking the tires on a possible Mark Burlhe deal. Rosenthal is usually full of hot air and flat out wrong 90% of the time but if burlhe is available….THAT would be a great deal for us too. However I would bet Ken Rosenthal 100 push ups the Chi Sox keep their ace! No way in hell they move a guy like that.

one last thing. Where is the outrage over letting Jon Garland walk? That guy has been money. He was pretty damn solid for us last year too down the stretch. I know he had a big option but the Padres got him at a bargain, I bet we could have too. I would have gone after him before Padilla….hey didn’t Shooter play for us this season?

11. Jdavis says:

Whatever happens let’s just sign another lefty

Garland was another one Joe pissed off Romo. Why wasn’t he used in the play-offs? Made no sense. We traded a good player for him (Abreu, .313 as a back-up) he got a couple of starts and voila! off he goes too. Dodgers must have felt he was going to demand too much money.

Hudson is 32 and since becoming a regular has played over 131 games every year but one. It just frosts my toasties to hear people talk about him the way they do. He played with Toronto 4 years and Arizona 3 before we threw him out after 1. Maybe he will play for one year contracts the rest of the way, I don’t know. I just know he would be better than what we have at second base. I am quite sure the pitching staff would feel the same about it – .283 career hitter with 4 Gold Gloves.

As for Dontrelle – yeah sure why not. I won’t expect much, but, if Detroit pays for it, it’s the kind of deal the Dodgers are looking for.

What goes around, comes around. Seems like we were on the other end of a walk-off balk in the recent past. The beard gets my Oscar vote[if I had one] for that tomfooleree. What shocked me even more was the nonresponse from their manager. I’m with Roger, I would have been so pissed that I would have gone Bobby Knight on them.

Garrett Anderson is really Mark Sweeney and we all know how that went. P.S. Free Zack

I must connect with Joe and Ned, because it is so clear just why they are keeping Anderson. They both like vet’s for those fill-in roles, rather than younger players.

They count of experience, and would have probably kept what’s his name from the Pads they brought into camp, but baseball died after a few days.

They count on that experience in key situations . . . I know that, so I will wait and see after July 1 — as they cash in on their — understand of the Joe & Ned Law.

Well now, I noticed this below, why does this happen?

D’Backs To Acquire Dontrelle Willis
    By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 1, 2010 at 5:57pm CST]
    5:57pm: The Tigers will receive at least one player in return, according to Morosi (via Twitter). John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press reports that the Tigers will pay all or virtually all of Willis’ contract.

4:50pm: Ed Price of AOL FanHouse hears that the Tigers will send Willis to the D’Backs, pending physicals. Morosi confirms that the Tigers will send Willis to Arizona (Twitter link).

4:46pm: The Tigers are close to dealing Dontrelle Willis, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter link). Morosi hears that the D’Backs and Marlins are the most likely destinations for the lefty (Twitter link).

As many as four teams are interested in the 28-year-old starter; the Brewers and Mets are also interested, according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post. The Tigers designated Willis for assignment Saturday.

———————-
    But, just maybe, Ned will pull one of his, got ‘ya, and bring him in.

Tell me when it hurts? Twidling my thumbs until gametime looking at the stats in todays multicolored fishwrap and it wasn’t pretty. The Dogs are in the top 3 of most errors committed in the Majors and have given up a whopping 30 unearned runs. Even more dramatic when compared other teams stats. Guess the only stat that REALLY matters is W’s. Eli’s coming.

Last I looked the Dodgers were dead last in fielding in all of baseball Michael.

What matters about Anderson is his batting average from now on. In fact, I could argue that what really matters is his batting average from August 1st to the end of the year. I could but I won’t. He needs to prove his worth and do it soon.

Willis in Arizona huh? Good spot for him. I wonder if the Dodgers were ever interested?

Michael, I guess it is about time for the D-Backs to fire and hire a manager.

See, my comments above, Ned would not go with so many younger players.

20. Mark Timmons says:

Couple of things:

1. I guess Ned believes in Going Big or Staying Home. Don’t Mickey Mouse around with Willis; and

2. Here’s what the manager of the D-Backs said about the “alleged” balk:

“It was pretty plain and simple to see he balked, To lose a game this way is pretty excruciating.”

Sounds like he thought it was “pretty”.

Nobody argued it, so, there must have been something. But if you look at the replays, and I have, Blake was screaming at the 3rd base ump who didn’t do anything at first, the home plate ump was looking at his watch and I have no idea what the first base ump was doing. Blake is the one who called it. Doesn’t really matter now does it.

Go big or go home. Not an easy sale there mover. I am waiting. We are all waiting.

22. Mark Timmons says:

The D-Backs announcers just said that no one disputed it and even the pitcher admitted it. If you are watching the D-Backs feed like I am, you heard it too (Badger).

“And now, the rest of the story”. Mark strikes again. One year after he turned his favorite whipping boy into Andre the Great[couldn't say giant{s}] he has tranformed Larry Bowa overnight from an old goat into the orchestrater of the whole thing last night[per Mark Grace] by whispering in Caseys ear. What ever it is you are doing man, keep it up. :}

Yeah, I heard it. I also watched the game last night and heard what was said then. Nobody disputed it, including Grace and Sutton, but it was rather strange. Both Gracie and Sutton were just really pissed the dbacks continue to give games away. There was some question also about whether time had been called as the batter was not in the box. Evidently the umps said time was in. I also heard there have been more perfect games than walk-off balks. Yes, very strange. The Dodgers were very, very lucky last night. And to win 100 games and walk away with the World Series title, they are going to need more luck. A lot more luck.