What’s Going On?

What’s Going On?

We had our Timmons Annual Race Party last night and today is the Indy 500 Parade followed by the Race on Sunday.  I am not a huge race fan and probably like NASCAR better than Indy Car, but the Indy 500 has to be the greatest sporting event in the world.  Somewhere over 250,000 people attend the event (some say there are as many as 400,000) but it’s really a two week event with practice, qualifications  and the a actual race.  I’m not planning on going to the race this year, so I’ll probably post tomorrow.  Check out the video…

20 Responses to “What’s Going On?”

Sorry Mark, but for me the Indy 500 falls under the “who cares” banner. Watching and hearing the loudest cars on the planet go around in the same small circle for hours is torture for most.

Personally I think it’s 250,000 Indianans who are bored out of their minds and need someplace to go drink.

In Dodger news, I see it was Nick Green who got the axe. He was superfluous from the beginning.

I wonder what the word for Anderson would be?

3. lawdog says:

When I was a kid I went to a race like the Indy. Had great seats and watched a tire blow as a car hiot the rail and a piece of the tire hit my friend who was next to me. He wasn’t killed, but I had to wonder at that point what the fatal attraction was between high speed cars and the audience.

I’ve never watched a race since. Absolutely no attraction. I’d rather watch the Golf channel and see grass grow. :roll:

4. lawdog says:

The word for Anderson? That’s easy! He’s a geezer who can no longer hit a fastball faster than 81 mph. :shock;

5. lawdog says:

“Left-hander George Sherrill, placed on the DL on Tuesday with a stiff mid-back he suffered while getting into bed, also might throw an inning in the simulated game. He is also certain to go on a Minor League rehab assignment soon.”

From the LA Times. Is it just me, or does anyone else think we’re awfully lucky to have these injuries consistently disable our worst pitchers in such a timely fashion??? :shock:

I hope Sherrill’s injury is legit as we could sure use what he brought us last year. I find it difficult to believe he lost it all in one off season. Not at his age.

Where is everybody? At Mover’s race party? I am sure that isn’t a sobering affair.

7. Mark Timmons says:

Badger,

I have been to other races, but there is nothing even close to Indy. When you see 3 or 4 hundred thousand people watching a race in such an amazing facility, it is like nothing else on the face of this earth.

Even if you hate racing, this is something that you should experience before you die… or I kill you. ;)

Tip: Sit on the top row. It’s less noisy and you can see much better.

8. SpokaneBob says:

Great game last night.

I thought Carlos did very well, all things considered. I’d like to see him get 3 or 4 starts in a row to allow him to be able to relax and perhaps get a little more confident.

OK, maybe I’ll have to do that one of these years. Let me check my 5 year plan and see if it includes any Midwest visits.

uh, nope

I wouldn’t exactly call a 500 mile race around an oval track a “sporting event.” An event, yeah sure, but sports? I just drove 2,000 miles in my truck, and, I wouldn’t call that sporting. A bunch of guys sitting on their asses going around and around and around and………. I am getting dizzy just thinking about it. And shoot, now they even let girls compete in the thing. What kind of “sport” has men and women competing on the same field? They don’t even do that in curling.

Here’s an idea, put a right hand turn in that race somewhere. That would add sport to it.

10. Jdavis says:

Three words
    Monaco grand prix

Auto racing, golf, curling, watching grass grow. I don’t see the difference. But, that’s me.

12. Mark Timmons says:

BD,

I agree on curling and watching grass grow, and while I have only been to one major golf tournament, I must say that it was an awesome experience. I don’t want to go again, but I’m glad I did.

The Indy 500 is so much more than a race. It is an Event which involves hundreds of thousands of people in one venue. The electricity is fungible and unless you have been there, you cannot imagine what it is like.

JD,

The Monaco Grand Prix: (1) is for the filthy rich; (2) has been around about 25 years less than the 500; (3) has about 1/3 the attendance; and (4) is spread out over a city – the crown is not in one venue.

Even if there was no race, the mass of humanity is incredible to observe. The race is just the icing on the cake.

That said, I am not going THIS year. I go most years, but I will rest tomorrow.

“The electricity is fungible”

Well there you go. That is reason enough not to go. 400,000 people passing fungibles back and forth sounds down right unsanitary to me.

I have watched grass grow. Watching paint dry takes less time and equally as satisfying. Plus, you get to the end of paint drying much sooner than you get to the end of the Indy 500.

14. Mark Timmons says:

Thou knowest not of which thy speak.

Well, that’s true.

But, have you ever known that to keep me from having an opinion?

Dodgers at 5 and Lakers/Suns at 5:30. I have two Suns buddies coming by. The wife made edamame dip (it’s better than it may sound) and homemade key lime pie. mmmmmmmmmmm pie

16. Richard Lotz says:

Lakers will close it out tonight in Phenis.

Good Laker game.

Bad Dodger game.

Garrett Anderson. One must ask, why? What do we need a lh bat for if he is going to hit .160? Any right hander on the bench is better than that, no matter how tough the pitcher is. It is past time to cut that bait.

West tightening up.

18. Ely's Coming, Better Hide Your Haeger says:

They say Charlie Haeger is starting against Arizona on Tuesday…. That’s actually a good matchup for him, like the Marlins are…. they are a bunch of free swingers who will chase the knuckler.

I’m changing my name again

So what was Torre thinking?

Tonight he starts our two worst defensive outfielders on the corners in the most spacious outfield in the majors. I understand starting Manny, but Garret Anderson? I guess GA got the start because he had a double the night before. The fact that he came into the game 0 for 7 lifetime vs. Cook was clearly not a factor.

As for Manny, watching him play the outfield is getting increasingly painful. A sloth could cover more ground. I understand that Manny has always been a defensive liability, but his play lately has gotten downright ugly (even for Manny). And he’s not looking much better at the plate. Maybe old age is really beginning to take its toll.

Now we have Charlie Haeger starting on Tuesday, ostensibly to give Ely an extra day of rest (does he really need it?). I therefore assume that Ely will be starting on Wednesday. So what happens to Monasterios? Does he go back to sitting in the bullpen, or is he given some significant action out of the pen to keep him sharp?

I can understand this if Monasterios is being returned to the pen, and begins to get some real innings. Chances are that even if he got a few starts, he would have ultimately returned to the pen once Padilla returned.

Who goes back to ALBQ. on Tuesday, Elbert or Miller? And what happens when Sherrill returns? I guess some of this depends on what Haeger does on Tuesday. Stay tuned.

Elbert still can’t hit his spots. 3 BB’s and no K’s in 2/3 of an inning? Bye bye.

Manny. I still like his bat, I sure hope he keeps hitting – for two reasons. 1 – we need him to hit, and B. maybe some A.L. team will take him. He is just not a N.L. player.

Haeger huh? OK. I hope he has figured out what he was doing wrong.

Padilla. I am hopeful, but, I can’t say he fills me with confidence.

The West looks just like I thought it would. It’s going to be an interesting summer.