Unleash The Kracken

Unleash The Kracken

Dodgers 2B for the Next 1o Years?

On April 26, 2009 Clayton Kershaw was pounded by the Colorado Rockies.  He lasted 4.2 innings while giving up 9 earned runs, on 2 HR, and his ERA sat at 7.29 after that game.  I his next start he pitch 7 shutout innings against the Padres and won 1-0.

When Clayton Kershaw gets beat, he gets mad and gets even.

The pounding that he took yesterday is simply going to Unleash the Kracken!

After the game, Clayton said:

“There aren’t a whole lot of positives coming from tonight.  A lot of people told me growing up that the way people look at your character is how you handle adversity. I’ll just try to bounce back and have a good one on Sunday.”

Watch out, he’ll be back with a vengeance.  Sometimes it’s good to feel a good beating, so that you don’t want to experience it anymore.   When some people get beat, they get beat down mentally.  That’s not Clayton Kershaw.   His ERA is now 4.99.  He’ll be better for this.  Watch and see!  Unleash the Kracken!

Out of 49 players who have played 2B this year, Blake DeWitt ranks 13th with a .294 batting average and is 4th in OB% with .400. He has 8 RBI and 5 doubles while hitting mostly in the #8 hole.  In twice the at-bats, Orlando Hudson has 11 RBI to go with 5 doubles (he also has 2 HR) and is hitting .297 with an OB% of .376.  Yes, O-Dog has a better glove, but at this juncture, I can’t say he’s worth $8 million more than DeWitt.  Shoot, he’s not worth a million more than DeWitt.  Would we have  better record with Hudson?  Unleash the Kracken!

Rants & Raves

• Why do the Dodgers think Stan Conte is so great?  I don’t get it!  Nice guy, but is he a good trainer?  Not in my book!
  • Manny will probably be activate VERY soon.
  • Weaver will probably see another outing.
  • Nick Green (Yawn) is OK on defense.  No good or great, not bad or horrible. Hu else could the Dodgers have called up?
  • It was good to see Charlie Haeger pitch well after his first inning troubles.  This could keep him on the roster.
  • How can you keep and aging, surly, .116 hitting, slow-footed outfielder on the roster?  Not that X.Paul is all that, but I like what he brings more than Anderson.  It’s time to cut bait.
  • That bum, Andy LaRoche,  who (according to some) never could hit, is hitting .333 with a .403 OB%… and he’s a slow starter.  He hit his 3rd HR last night in 68 AB’s, and made some excellent defensive plays.
  • WOW!  James Loney’s HR to CF got out with a quickness.  Is he finding his power?  That was his 2nd HR at Dodger Stadium this year – He only hit 1 last year.  Unleash the Kracken!
  • If C-Bill pitches 3 good games back-to-back-to-back, I’ll consider him back. Unleash the Kracken!

19 Responses to “Unleash The Kracken”

1. JDavis says:

Is Dewitt playing 3rd base yet?

Would we have a better record with Hudson. Probably not. Would we be a more balanced team? Absolutely. I am pleasantly surprised by DeWitt. Especially that OBP. Keep it up Blake. But, he is no second baseman. I am not sure where he belongs.

All young pitchers have outings like Kershaw did. I am not worried about him personally, but I remain concerned about the Dodgers collectively.

Manny can’t get back fast enough for me.

Agree about LaRoche and Anderson.

Speaking of home runs to center field, I saw Justin Upton hit one 450′ against Oswalt yesterday. That thing was smoked. He and Reynolds hit them as far as anyone.

I have box seats to the game Monday. I’ll be wearing my Isotopes hat.

If Stan Conte is good, the Dodgers are very, very frail.

Nick Green? eesh

Cover up your kracken, there are children in the room.

Haeger did OK last night, but he still doesn’t fill me with confidence. Quite a few balls hit in the air against him, a couple which the hitter was on, but just missed. If he keeps serving up fly balls we’re going to see more of them than we want to going out. That said, he did eat up some innings, and was in the role I think he is best suited for. Long relief to take pressure off the rest of the pen. The fact that he can be used often could make him valuable. I cannot see him, at least at this time, going back into the rotation. He might be able to better harness his dancer if he gets to use it more often. I’ll keep an open mind on this, but I still wouldn’t be crestfallen if he was let go.

And anybody who was encouraged by Ramon Ortiz’ outing the other day (to a certain degree, I include myself) should have been jolted back into reality after yesterday’s performance. He’s lucky to have gotten away as cheaply as he did. I think I may have posted that I would dump Haeger before Ortiz. It had to be dementia. I am now firmly in the dump Ortiz camp, no matter what I see of him next (and here’s hoping there’s no “next”).

I think Monasterios could have been feeling the effects of having thrown 73 pitches the other day. That was a sudden jump in this workload after not seeing much, if any, extended action. His fastball, which usually sits 90-92, and tops out at 93-94 was mostly in the upper 80′s last night. I still love his changeup, and think it would be a huge mistake to allow him to fall back into the Phillies hands. I think he can play an important role in LA this year, but he would also be well served if the Dodgers could work out a deal to keep him, and then send him out to get regular work.

I don’t know if Keshaw can just dial up a good game next time because he’s mad, and feels the need to get even. He might throw a no hitter next time, and then again, he might do something else. Clayton is a young pitcher still learning his craft, and seeking the consistency that could one day make him one of the top pitchers in the game. He appears to have a wonderful attitude and work ethic, but by no means can he simply dial up a dominating performance. It’s all about command with him. If he throws strikes with all his pitches he’s great. If not, then he’s not. Last night was typical Clayton when he’s off. Falling behind hitters, running up his pitch count, and being forced into the middle of the strike zone. And the curve was simply not there.

I’ve also begun to wonder why Kershaw is not using the slider more, especially when he’s behind in the count. It seemed to me last year, and also early this year, that he has better command of that pitch than any other. Or maybe I’m just hallucinating.

Wow, I am surprised that people are still covering the Dodgers. I guess some of us are just die hard fans. My energy has gotten shifted over to the Lakers for now but I’ll be back soon and I am hoping some of you guys can get this thing figured out by then. You know, releasing G.A. and keeping X Paul on the bench for this year and bringing up J MAC for the 5th spot and just not telling him he’s in the rotation only to surprise him with a start once a week. When I return after the Lakers take their second straight title, I want to see this team be at .500 or better. So get to work fellows.
    Just a thought – would Mark and Badger trade Kershaw to the Pirates for Andy? We just need some sort of check on the amount of Love they are still giving this Kid. Although Casey at 60 years old will still play more quality games at 3B yearly then Powerful Andy, we still hear these cries for our young shinning star to return to the Dodgers. I’m not one. Peace

“would Mark and Badger trade Kershaw to the Pirates for Andy?”

Man, that is a really bad idea Bill. Unless it’s for an early version of Andy Messerschmidt. I would do that. I would also trade Casey Blake straight up for Andy right now. The cash strapped Dodgers would be saving about $5 million that could be used on a starting pitcher.

I just like to follow Dodger prospects to see how they do in comparison with whom we replaced them. I don’t see the harm in that. Sorry you disapprove.

Casey at 60 huh? Well, you won’t have long to wait.

“I’m not one.”

Yeah, I know.

“Peace”

Not likely in my lifetime.

6. lawdog says:

Lambo was just suspended 50 games for his second “offense”? That’s not a good harbinger of things to come.

At least Haeger had his dancer dancing after his first inning last night. He should just lose that 82-85 mph cutter and just throw his slider like Candiotti did when he needs a strike. That fastball looks too much like a hanging dancer and it’s too slow to be effective as a real change up off his knuckleball.

I wish we had Andy back right now. I’m sick of watching geriatric refugees from the rest home start for this team! What’s McCheap’s infatuation with geezers about anyway? Only positive is they are “experienced” and cheap.

7. Bootz says:

Who cares if Kershaw came back after a bad start? Who cares about comparing DeWitt to Hudson? The only reason we are doing that, is because the Dodgers are TERRIBLE. How about, “Unleash some consistency?”

It’s a joke; two NLCS in a row, and this is where the Dodgers are? We are a doomed franchise, face it. With this owner we are going no where. The longer we take to get it together, the finer the chance gets to win a WS.

The Dodgers will not pay all of our young guys going into free agency. 2011 is our last year, we still have our guys for somewhat cheap, and we need to sign an Ace and Manny for one more year. Or Crawford for 4-5.

Unless the Kracken? All because Loney hit a meaningless homer (which is when he usually does it) COME ON!

Sorry to be so cynical, but the franchise is a joke right now.

There is some truth in you frustration Bootz. 2 back to back NLCS and we did nothing that says we want to get over the hump. Name 1 team that has ever done that?Even the Pirates in the 90s tried like hell to get past the Braves over and over. It is hard to watch night after night knowing how close we were. But I watch…I’m an addict.

I agree with the notion that this might be the last hurrah with the pending free agency after 2011 of guys like Ethier, Martin and arbitration for Loney,Bills, and Broxton. Someone will not be here still. Also the liklyhood that no high end free agents will be brought into the fold.

The future is dim. So why not go all in Frank? Go all out spend the money and hope to roll a 7? If Jamie loses her case good for you, the value of your product went up. If you are forced to sell the value of the product is up you walk away a richer man.

It is well documented that the Dodgers have cut funds for player development. The big league club is at a cut rate. We can believe the company line from Logan White and DeJon Watson, but what the hell else are they gonna say? “We aren’t what we were a few years ago?” I guarantee you these guys have a passion for the game and are trying to compete but the first chance they get they will be gone to another orginization.

What a bummer last night to see Clayton get crushed like that. I still believe he will be OK. But Chad Bills needs a big start tonight. To save the bullpen and to keep from being labeled a stiff for the next 5 days. I’m holding my breath.

On vacation, only able to check in about 10 minutes a day. Only see the scores on the news. Even newspapers do not have scores of west coast games.

If I have said this once I have said it a hundred times — Kershaw is the next coming of Koufax, but he should not be put in the position the Dodgers have placed him in — ace of the staff.

Ned should have picked up some decent starter over the winter that could eat up innings even at 4.00 to 4.50 ERA. A Lowe type pitcher to take that pressure.

I do not like it that Clayton is being understood, questioned by reporters (theirs and ours) as the ace and the key matchup of most games/series.

He needs to grow into that position. Example: Billingsley could not handle it.

Mark, this situation seems to be another result of the pending divorce you do not like discussed here.

10. Mark Timmons says:

Roger,

You can discuss the divorce all you want. I just prefer not to engage in the rampant speculation involved around it. Talk all you want about it, but I may or may not weigh in. Most of what is being said is simply false or half-truth.

I don’t have all the answers, but I am pretty sure that most of what we read right now is pure B.S.

It’s just a waste of my time…

Right now!

New endorsment deal with Depends diapers for the front office and management, the most comfortable way to sit there with #2 in your britches. Might as well be able to laugh at yourself. :} James has at least 4 more ab’s.

Oops, I meant to delete and hit submit. Where is that delete button?

13. Mark Timmons says:

$47.88 per month for the delete button.

Send in you change…

;)

Troncoso is on pace to pitch in 106 games this year.

Think he will make it?

15. Jared Massey says:

I think I speak for everyone when I say that this is all Mark’s fault.

I’ll second that.

Now, we need to know what he intends to do about it.

OK KEN I AM BEGGING YOU FOR A PARODY!!

“…Still I look to find a reason to believe….” To the Rod Stewart song. Please man you can do it.

This is awful.

An insightful poster from another site, commenting on a post from a Gint fan, said something to this affect:

I am not surprised the Gnats are this good. I am however surprised the Dogs are this bad.

We needed to come out of the gate smoking and we came out with a whimper. Already key people on the DL and on this squad that is ruinous as there is no depth. The worst case scenario some spoke of is indeed happening. We can calmly tell each other it’s early, and we will get it straightened out, but there is the distinct possibility that this is how this team will play for the rest of the year. And as they stagger along we can begin predicting the date Manny starts his spoiled brat routine making things worse.

A winning streak can stop it all and get the team going in the right direction. The problem, as I see it, is – can this pitching staff provide the quality innings necessary to pull it off?