Things to Ponder

Things to Ponder
  • The Dodgers took a lot a flack for signing Jamey Carroll and I was on record as saying that he could not play SS.  Well, he showed the naysayers that he has value.  He is hitting .280 with a .382 OB% and played a very solid, if not spectacular SS while Raffy was out, and he showed me that he could play SS.  He was the SS during the Dodgers current winning streak.  Of course, the stat geeks will point to his .320 slugging percentage, but this guy is a sub!  He’s not Hanley Ramirez.  He did his job.  He showed up, stepped up, shut up and put up.  Jamey Carroll can play on my team any day (as a sub, of course).
  • Raffy will be back Friday – Green has to go.
  • Ramon Ortiz?  What is he?  I have no clue!
  • Tony Jackson of ESPN/LOS Angeles had a Q & A today, in which he said (among other things) that Matt Kemp may be a clubhouse problem, that he’s difficult, doesn’t listen, a coach wants to trade him, and implied that Ned “didn’t tell the half of it.”   I think that there is a lot of truth in what Tony said, but it is wildly over-hyped.  While he is much closer to the team than I, during the time I was in Arizona, I saw nothing that would lead me to believe there is a locker room rift.  Matt is pretty full of himself.  I have a 23-year-old son, who doesn’t have millions of dollars, athletic talent out the wazzoo, and a singer girlfriend and he is insufferable.    I imagine that Matt is too.  I have never had a problem with him when I spoke with him.  He has always been polite to me, but then again, some of that is probably just MY persona.  I know his dad and his dad says that he’s a knucklehead sometimes – shoot all young kids in a position like him probably are.  To expect him to be otherwise, is unrealistic.  Hopefully, he will mature and get past this. I don’t see it as a big deal.
  • Tony also had a good article about Clayton Kershaw.  Read it HERE.
  • Now, ponder this: I believe the Dodgers are looking for a starter, but not just any starter.  Some say that Derek Lowe might return to the Dodgers.  I say the chances of that happening are “slim and none.”  While I cannot know who the Dodgers have targeted, I can tell you that I have four pitchers in my sights, and while it probably won’t happen for a while, it could happen if these four teams slip out of contention, and most of them are headed that direction.
    • Kansas City Royals (12-23) – Target: Zach Greinke
    • Chicago White Sox  (14-20) – Target: Jake Peavy
    • Seattle Mariners (13-21) – Target:  Cliff Lee
    • Florida Marlins (16-18) – Josh Johnson

Now let me say, that I think the odds of getting Josh Johnson and Zach Greinke are slim (and none).  The Dodgers should try, but they probably won’t be successful.   That narrows it down to Peavy and Lee. I would take either one, but if both of their respective teams keep going south (and the odds are that at least one will), one or both may become available.  Since Lee is not signed, it would seem more likely that he would be available, but you never know.  What I do know, is that to get either pitcher, the Dodgers would have to give up a lot.  Start with Ethan Martin and Chris Withrow, and throw in Jon Broxton and James Loney.    As ironic as it sounds, would you trade Martin, Withrow, Broxton and Loney for Peavy and Konerko? Think about that one…  You might have to throw in Padilla and Haeger so that they could fill a spot in the rotation.

Actually, Roy Oswalt is also a possibility…

Lineup:

Rotation:

1. Peavy
  2. Kershaw
  3. Kuroda
  4. Billingsley
  5. Ely

20 Responses to “Things to Ponder”

I posted this in the previous thread, where it might be missed.

I’m still trying to figure out why Torre is starting Ortiz to open the Padre series instead of Kershaw, who would be going on a normal four days rest, since his last start was on Sunday. All I can think of is that Torre wants to give Kershaw an extra day after throwing 117 pitches on Sunday. But as I see it, starting Ortiz on Friday means that he could be starting TWO games against Padres. As things stack up over the next week this is how the rotation should shake out if Ortiz starts on Friday.

Fri (SD) – Ortiz
    Sat (SD) – Kershaw
    Sun (SD) – Billingsley

Mon (Hou) – Ely
    Tue (Hou) – Kuroda

Wed (SD) – Ortiz (assuming he doesn’t get whacked on Friday)
    Thu (SD) – Kershaw

If Keshaw were to open the series on Friday, Ortiz would not start against the Padres in either series, and the rotation would probably look like this:

Fri (SD) – Kershaw
    Sat (SD) – Billingsley
    Sun (SD) – Ely

Mon (Hou) – Kuroda
    Tue (Hou) – Ortiz

Wed (SD) – Kershaw
    Thu (SD) – Billingsley

With Kershaw starting on Friday, Ortiz not only doesn’t start against the Padres twice, he doesn’t even start once. Kershaw and Billingsley both start twice.

By the way, if Ely continues to pitch as he has, the Juan Pierre signing is going to begin looking better and better.

I absolutely would NOT trade 4 young players with upsides for 2 players with gray hair. I would give a heck of a lot for Zack but wouldn’t give up the franchise for Lee[graybeard]. Bill Russell will be back when Kobe starts his vacation. P.S. Brooklyn, maybe you should give Joe a twit.

Mark do you remember talking about Peavy before? There are about 48 million reasons he won’t be a Dodger. As for the rest of those guys, I doubt it. They all make money, and the Dodgers don’t have a lot of that. If Jed can pull another Manny deal, maybe it could happen. But, we aren’t likely going to assume multi-year 8 figure per contracts.

I just read your post on the other thread Brooklyn and your point is a good one. Kershaw has pitched 9 innings this month. That is, THIS MONTH. His 5th day is Friday. Why Ortiz? I would think you would skip Ortiz every chance you get. I know I would.

4. mark says:

Michael,

Even if we could win it all THIS year?

I recall reading last year that Larry Bowa praised Kemp for making more progress than any player on the team. Bowa is the last one to heap praise on a player unless he really means it.

Obviously I’m not close enough to Kemp to claim any real knowledge of his character. There is no doubt that he has regressed somewhat over the past several weeks, but that’s not unusual for a young player. Sometimes it’s necessary to take a step backwards before taking two forward.

Kemp is an immensely talented player, and not someone I would consider trading unless the return was simply too great to pass up. The only young outfielder that I’ve observed that I consider in the same class with Kemp is the currently slumping Justin Upton.

“As ironic as it sounds, would you trade Martin, Withrow, Broxton and Loney for Peavy and Konerko?”

Answer: NO. I have never seen Martin and Withrow, but no way I include Broxton and Loney. Trade Broxton and we don’t have a closer. As maligned as he is at times, Broxton is invaluable. Think Lindblom will step up? Think again. It’s not likely, at least now.

How old is Konerko? Doesn’t he have a bad knee (or knees)? And I don’t care that he’s hit a lot of early HRs. He would be a huge defensive downgrade at first base, and quite frankly, at this stage of their careers, I prefer Loney. I haven’t followed Peavy very closely this year, but I consider him to be a risk. He’s had elbow issues in the past, and still, I believe, has a pretty lucarative contract. Again, it’s not a trade I would make.

Mark, If you trade Martin, how does he end up back in the starting lineup? I’m baaccckkkk.

7. JDavis says:

Life is about taking chances

8. Ely's Coming, Better Hide Your Heart says:

Bill, I think he meant Ethan Martin

No, he meant Dean Martin.

10. Idaho al says:

I would never trade Martin, Withrow, Broxton and Loney for any of the pitchers you mentioned. Loney is playing very good baseball right now. You must keep Kemp, Loney and Either at all cost. Broxton is a very good closer and we have nobody to take his place. Martin and Withrow are the future for the Dodgers.

If Ely continues his success, we will have four good pitchers. We just need to find the fifth. We still need an ace, but Kershaw is going to be the one.

Joe Torre has a way of letting players either fail or succeed on the playing field. If they fail, then it becomes very easy to get rid of them. Haeger is a perfect example. Haeger will never pitch another inning for the Dodgers. He was given an opportunity and he failed. This is why I think he is starting Ramon Ortiz on Friday. It is time for Ramon to succeed or fail. We will know after Friday. It is hard sometimes for us fans to sit and watch this, but Joe is an excellent manager. The players cannot complain, because he gives them an opportunity. If Ortiz fails, look for Monasterios to be given a chance to become the fifth starter.

I understand the argument about Torre letting players fail or succeed. I even thought of it in connection with the Ortiz start. However, this start is against the team currently five games in front of us. Maybe Torre surmises that the Padres won’t remain there all season, and is willing to gamble with Ortiz. And maybe he thinks that Ortiz can get by against the weak hitting Padrres in spacious Petco. But he does risk putting us in a deeper hole. And while he may want to give Ortiz a little more rope, I think he’s had more than enough.

There could be other reasons. None of us knows what’s going on behind the scenes, so to a certain degree we have to trust that the Dodgers know what they’re doing. I cetainly hope there is a contingency if Ortiz gets blown out tonight.

I have been anything but a Haeger supporter. However, if his injury is legit, and not just something the Dodgers cooked up to get Ely back on the roster, then perhaps it explains his ineffectiveness, and maybe, just maybe, he could return in a useful capacity, perhaps in the bullpen. I’m not sure he’s gone, just yet. And perhaps “A Shot of Haeger” returns (smile).

12. lawdog says:

Perhaps Ortiz is being “showcased” with the hope that some GM somewhere will trade us a real prospect for the right s to him. Then we have room for Haeger who might well be tried in the bullpen when e comes back.

Agree we could use guy like Lee in the rotation. No way we actually get him. Have you all been paying attention to the soap opera known as McCourt vs. McCourt? We’d have trouble paying for another geezer for the rotation. Wakefield’s 43 now isn’t he? Maybe we could afford him. He could give Haeger some instruction at the same time, eh?

13. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

If Haeger does come back.. I’m changing my log in to Ely’s Coming, Better Hide Your Haeger :)

14. Chad says:

Actually, the stat geeks know that OBP (aka not making outs) is the more valuable commodity, hence Carroll is hitting well above necessary.

The problem is that he’s still not a shortstop and costs the Dodgers with his range. Never before have I appreciated Rafael Furcal’s defense more.

15. mark says:

Well, he’s not Raffy, but I have been pleasantly surprised with his range. I mean, I thought it would be horrid and I think he’s just somewhat below average, which is not bad.

Carroll was signed because he’s always been a good pinch hitter, and because he’s a professional that can contribute when he fills in. And he’s done just that. Couldn’t ask for more. Raffy is our regular shortstop, but it’s nice to know that Carroll can give us quality time in his place. Certainly a lot better than having Angel Berroa, good glove and virtual automatic out.

And it appears that Carroll will be filling in for a while longer. Furcal is not coming off the DL tonight according to an article on the Dodger website.

I couldn’t be happier sitting here on a Friday night, watching the Boys in Blue, with Vin Scully speaking music to my ears. But really Joe… give JMart a day off and let him play 2nd or 3rd and let Belly fill in the other slot. Love the Blakes but dewhat TF? Sorry for my French.

Going into tonights game, is one of those games, every five days, that gripes me.

It is the 5th starters day — and our wonderful owner and GM did not provide this team with a quality 5th starter. So we sweat it out to see if the bats can come alive and win a game like 11 to 9 or something.

Tonight, so far, in the 3rd, Dodger bats know foul chalk line doubles that led to nothing, and a bunch of singles, and two double plays.

So the Dodgers start a guy that has not had a start in 3 years. Wonderful.

Let’s score the Dodger runs.

I hope Torre is satisfied with his Ortiz experiment. If the Padres weren’t such a weak hitting team it could be a lot worse. Starting Ortiz again next week would be felony stupid. Same if he’s not DFA’d.

Well it worked. Torre’s a genius. Ortiz starts, the Dodgers win.

Joe dodged a bullet tonight. But let’s hope that Kershaw gives us innings tomorrow, because it took five guys out of the pen to nail down the game. And we know that Kuo will be unavailable tomorrow.

To me, DFA’ing Ortiz is a no brainer. Maybe do it tomorrow before the game, and bring someone up to stabilize the pen, and maybe even start when the 5th spot rolls around again on Wednesday. Or plan on giving Monasterios another start, assuming he isn’t needed out of the pen before Wednesday.

Here’s hoping that Kemp is about to heat up.