The Hottest Team in Baseball

The Hottest Team in Baseball

I was obviously wrong when I said that Joe Torre had lost this team and Rick Honeycutt couldn’t coach anymore.  My deepest apologies to them both – NOW DON’T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!

(smile)

• Team ERA is now 4.53 as the Dodgers leapfrogged the Nats to take the 11th spot.  They need to get to the TOP 3 to win it all.
  • Andre Ethier broke his right pinkie – regardless of whether he can play or not, they should DL him.  He’s only have to miss 14 more days.  Paul got hit last night and it is not known if he can return.
  • Clayton Kershaw didn’t have his good stuff, but  Tony Jackson says that even when Clayton Kershaw doesn’t have his best stuff, he’s still better than most. After the game Clayton said:  ”To be honest, my command really wasn’t that great,” Kershaw said. “I guess I was what you call effectively wild. I didn’t really hit my spots a whole lot, and I just kind of battled through. Really, I only had my fastball.” You are watching history – Clayton is morphing into the Dodgers ACE .  To those of you who say the Dodgers needed an ace, I say “Grow Your Own.”  Clayton is becoming THAT guy, pitching deeper into games and getting by without his best stuff.  By Fall, he’ll be the stater in game 1 of the playoffs.
  • Charlie Haegar pitched 5 innings at IE last night.  He’ll probably get one more rehab start and then return (Ortiz?).
  • Jamey Carroll Bashers:  Wear paper bags on your heads!  The guy is hitting .300 and playing an effective SS during the Dodgers 6 game winning streak.
  • We are no longer the Padres whipping boys.
  • Congrats to Larry Bowa and his daughter who graduated from law school – Now go sue somebody!
  • Let’s roll, Chad!

UPDATE:  See New Bios in the ABOUT US Section

19 Responses to “The Hottest Team in Baseball”

1. lawdog says:

Anybody know ow long Ethier will be out? It’s really a bad break, no pun intended. How can a player get this hot and then break his pinkie during batting practice. Sometimes I think the Dogs have been cursed! A broken finger probably will put him out for about a month, even if it’s just the pinkie. You can’t grip a bat effectively with a cast on one of your fingers.

2. Mark Timmons says:

They say it’s just a small fracture. I would think he should be ready in a couple of weeks, especially with some “high-tech” treatment. Who knows, he might play through it?

3. Harold says:

This is big time serious, IMO. Andre fractured his finger on his swing. He said that he bruises it or sprains it with his batting style, but now a fracture. There is no telling how long it will be until he can feel comfortable in his swing again. If he alters it to accomodate the finger, then there is little doubt he will be a different hitter, with less power for sure. How often will this reoccur?

I was hoping the X man would be able to play regularly in Andre’s place, giving us a strong arm in RF. Not sure how serious his injury might be from the HBP.

GO DODGERS!!

I agree, DL him. No need for him to be out there and risk it getting worse. Also, if he can play by using some contraption that could force him into bad habits, better to DL him. If our pitching continues at its current level, we should be able to weather the storm. Just don’t replace him with Anderson and Johnson. Call up Paul and play him everyday. And after Ethier is reactivated, the Dodgers can decide weather Paul goes back to AAA or Anderson goes.

Jay Gibbons is killing it in AAA. Hitting .390 Albeit in the rare air of AlbeQuacky.

He has big league experience and would be a decent option to replace Andre for the next 2 weeks.Gibbons was a heck of a ball player a few years ago in Baltimore, he may be healthy again and ready to showcase here for a future trade? Sure X. Paul is the first choice but having been hit last night and still letting him get everyday experience. Why not give Gibbons a shot this is te reason we got him (for emergencies). Heck if he works out then we let GA go when Andre comes back.

6. mark says:

Romo,

I had forgotten about Jay Gibbons, but he had 3 years where he hit 20 or more HR (28 was his high) and he has had 100 RBI. He’s LH, players RF and is worth a risk. However, he’s not on the 40-man roster, so Ortiz might have to come off.

Jay Gibbons????? Yeh, if you’re hoping for a miracle.

This is from Baseball-Reference.com.

MLB Stats:
    .260 career AVG.
    .314 career OBP
    Last mostly full good year was five years ago (2005).

Click the “minors” button. Not exactly overwhelming minor league stats since 2008. Forget about the .390 stuff at ALBQ. You can’t take any stats from that city seriously (hitting or pitching). Veterans have their place, but in this case I’ll take what I perceive to be the more talanted player, and the one with the most upside. That would be the X-man. Besides, he deserves it.

From what I understand he was hit in the head by a ball prior to last nights game. He then proceeded to get two hits, and was removed, I believe, because he had a headache. He supposedly was sent to the hospital and checked out OK. If there are no delayed effects, he’s the guy.

8. mark says:

I’ll take a miracle…

;)

9. Jdavis says:

I don’t understand why old man withers is still on the
    team where is X
    I’m not sold on Carrol never will be.

10. Idiot says:

The Dodger’s lineup today is like a AAA squad.

Johnson, Belliard, Anderson, Green, Carroll — and no hits through 5 innings.

So Kershaw won without his good stuff last night. Just when do we get to see his good stuff? Also, how many games this season has he had “good stuff?”

11. Idiot says:

A friend of mine today (at church) was all excited — because he is a life time Cincinnati Reds fan. He said if they bet the Cardinals today — 1st place for the Reds. Well, they just did. Interesting.

My friend was going over the Reds lineup — then spouted 4 or 5 more players they have ready in the minors, sitting, waiting to come up if needed.

Hummm . . . they sounded in better shape than the Dodgers in their AAA players. For we do not have much of strong hitters or pitchers ready. Not really strong.

12. mark says:

Dear Idiot,

Scoreboard!

That’s all that counts.

Idiot,

What’s in a name? Sometimes a lot.

“I’m not sold on Carrol never will be.”

If the Dodgers signed him to play everyday I could understand. But he’s a role player, and a damn good one. I believe he has a lifetime .348 pinch hitting average, and an overall lifetime average over .270. What more do you want from a utility player?

In fact, to a certain degree he reminds me of David Eckstein.

15. Mark Timmons says:

Brooklyn,

I like you. We don’t always agree, but you have a take and it does not suck! I like your thinking…

Gibbons would be a band aid but why the hell not? Why keep him to let him doninate in AAA? This is why we got…him for emergencies. He has been playing everyday and this would keep his rythym. Just until Andre comes back. As for the roster shuffling we could DFA Garret Anderson or even Montestarios (I am not high on this kid). Heck after last night here in San Bernardino I don’t think Charlie Knuckles is long for the squad either.

Speaking of Charlie Knuckles, he has Charlie Hough at his beakon call here in the I.E. I sure hope he can fix his problems because I sure like the guy. I still think Charlie’s demise was Brad Ausmus going down. …..So it goes.

HOW SWEEEEET is it sweeping the Madres in Baja LA this weekend?!?!?! NICE. Anyone watching had to notice how pro-Dodger that crowd was. I love the “This is My Town” blankets all over the stadium.

Let’s keep it rolling against the struggling Astros.

Thank you Mark. It’s because, like you, I am not an idiot.

Romo,

Calling up Gibbons in place of X. Paul would be a slap in the face to the latter. He performed well while up here recently, and Torre said nice things about him. To suddenly turn around and bring up Gibbons would almost certainly rankle Paul, and justifiably so. X. Paul has EARNED a promotion. If he can’t be brought up now (assuming Ethier is placed on the DL), then when? And if the Dodgers don’t have the confidence that he can perform at the big league level, then trade him to an organization that will give him an opportunity. Anderson should never have been signed, and bringing up Gibbons would just be rubbing salt in the wound. X. Paul deserves better.

Brooklyn, My thoughts about Gibbons were based on the fact that X. Paul may be injured. He missed several games after going back to AAA and then was pulled from last nights game after being hit by a pitch. I like X Paul but if he is not 100% he can wait until he is and help us down the stretch. I believe Manny will take another 14 DL stint before we are all said and done.

Yeah, Jamie Carroll is quite davidecksteinish, isn’t he? Hope Larrys’ daughter looks like her mom. If a bench coach is of any importance it seems to me the Dbacks have us beat, hands down.