Still Think We Have No Ace?

Still Think We Have No Ace?

I would say that with yet another very good performance, Clayton Kershaw is taking a “stranglehold” for the role as Staff Ace.  Some might think he hasn’t had his best “stuff” at times this year, but I think so of that comes from the fact that he is using more pitches, which sometimes has caused his curve-ball to break a little less.  He was wild earlier in the year, but now seems to be pounding the strike zone with regularity.

Some say it’s too early to anoint him the Ace – I disagree. He is officially the Dodgers Ace, and will be even better by season’s end.   I’ve told you all of this before – just enjoy watching his development.

He struggled with his rhythm in the first inning, but was absolutely in control the rest of the way.  He is now pitching deeper into games which is going to do nothing but help the staff.  Now, let’s hope Bills can do the same.

The fielding has improved dramatically and Jamey Carroll has been outstanding at SS with the Dodgers going 15-7 with him as starter. Ned has already gotten his money’s worth with Jamey, no matter what happens the rest of his Dodger Career. Those of you who blasted him for signing Carroll need to apologize, like I apologized for wanting Joe Torre fired!

Rants and Raves

• Russ Martin’s 15-game hitting streak continues as Joe tries to wear him out by the All-Star Break
  • Kenley Jansen is plying his trade at AA now.  I can see a call-up coming in September.

8 Responses to “Still Think We Have No Ace?”

I think we are still a little premature making Kershaw an ace. He is a #2 right now to me. He will be an ace but in my perfect world we still aquire an ace and leave Kershaw to mature at his own pace. I hope that made sense. Anyway great start last night. Great game by the team. I think we gave away Wednesdays game by starting Ortiz but as many of you pointed out we shouldn’t need his services for a while so lets move on.

Bring on the Motor City Kitties!! Dontrelle Willis tonight? Which Dontrelle will show up? The erratic Willis or the D-Train of old? Also can he still swing the bat like he used to?

Can Bills keep it rolling against a tough lineup? Lets see.

2. Kevin says:

Right now Kuroda is our “ace.” He hasn’t had a real bad outing yet, and gives us a chance to win every time he takes the mound.

That being said Kershaw is the guy other teams DON’T want to face.

Kershaw might well be the “Dodgers Ace”, but has a ways to go before being anointed an “Ace” in the traditional sense. With continued refinement and maturity he certainly has “ACE” written all over him. In time, I believe he will be a true Ace. One of the things he needs to work on is getting through the first inning, and I’m sure that’s something that Honeycutt/Torre are aware of.

Kershaw did not have his best stuff last night. But like a true ace he weathered the storm. It’s no longer just fastball and curve. He’s becoming a pitcher.

Looking at Jansen’s stats, it’s clear that he has excellent stuff. But he also has a control problem and very few professional innings under his belt. He did pitch last winter, so he does have more innings than the stats above indicate.

It’s possible that the Dodgers will give him a taste of the big leagues in September, but I wouldn’t count on it. That’s also the time of year that young players report to instructional league. And even players with Jansen’s number of years are sometimes asked to attend instructional league if they have something that needs to be worked on. They could even have him in instructional league to get him ready to pitch this fall and winter.

5. chucky says:

I love this talk. Who is the ace; Kershaw or Kuroda? With Bills starting to pitch and wonderpitcher Ely, we have a pretty good four pitchers but… can we really expect Ely to be this good? We need another solid pitcher and who is that? Is it Padilla? Someone off the unsigned list (Washburn or Smoltz). Does this make sense? I do not think McDonald or anyone else in the minors is ready to move in. Again I come back to Padilla, could our bacon be saved by Vicente Padilla???

Keshaw
    Kuroda
    Bills
    Padilla
    Ely

Can we go all the way with this starting rotation? It doesn’t feel right, I think we need another.

6. lawdog says:

Whooda thunk learning to throw a slider would transform Kurveshaw into a true #1? I’m pretty sure he threw more sliders than his million dollar curves last night and he was striking left handers out with them..

7. Ely's Coming, Better Hide your Heart says:

I don’t think Kershaw’s an Ace yet, but he’s well on his way to becoming one.

The slider has helped immensely. Command of his curve is still a work in progress. It’s not a pitch he can always rely on. When he’s throwing the curve for strikes, he’s devastating. It appears on the other hand that he has good command of his slider, which gives him something else other than his fastball that he can throw for strikes. If hitters can’t focus on the fastball they are at an enormous disadvantage. When Gonzalez got the final hit off Kershaw in the 8th inning, it was a fastball away that he took to left. Ultimately, the slider away from lefthanders is going to allow Kershaw to come inside with the fastball more often. And who knows, maybe as he matures, Kershaw will add a tick or two to the fastball.

By the way, his slider is also very effective against righthanded hitters.

By the way, Kershaw really didn’t have a whole lot of trouble in the first inning yesterday. But he has had some problems in the first inning recently, and it would have been nice to see a 1-2-3 first inning. Oh well, Rome wasn’t built in a day.