Pinkies, Little Toes and Toast

Pinkies, Little Toes and Toast

“Walkoff” Ethier has a hurt pinkie that landed him on the DL.

Which One is Ramon Ortiz?

Manny Ramirez hurt his little toe last night and couldn’t start (hopefully no DL for Manny).

Ramon Ortiz can’t pitch because he’s toast!

Look, even Ray Charles can see that he can’t pitch.  He throws at least one pitch in the hitter’s “wheelhouse” every batter.  It’s like batting practice.  Now that he’s not available for 3 or 4 days, it would be best to cut him RIGHT NOW NED! and call up a LH reliever (Elbert), since George Cheryl can’t pitch either.

Why Troncoso?  Why not Monasterios last night instead of Ramon?

That was a painful game to watch.  In fact, I stopped after the 4th inning.

Raffy says that he might be back this weekend.

X.Paul looked horrible in the field last night and when he had an opportunity to show off his arm he misfired.  He looked like a deer-in-the-headlights rookie.

Upside-down ERA

21 Responses to “Pinkies, Little Toes and Toast”

This doesn’t relate to toast but I forgot to mention it yesterday. When I was at the game on Tuesday night they put up some trivia on the diamond vision at the stadium. Casey (the foundation) Blake has a better fielding percentage then any other Dodger 3rd baseman that’s played more then 175 games at the hot corner. I just wanted to throw that out for all the negative Blakesmens out there. Does anyone know the status of Padilla? Go Lakers……….

2. Idaho al says:

I agree with you Mark. I quit watching the game after the sixth inning and went to bed. I stayed long enough to see how Monasterios pitched. He looked pretty good. We need to get rid of Ortiz and Haeger. They both had enough opportunities to prove themselves. I believe we have to give Monasterios a chance to be the fifth starter. If we are going to keep him, we have to give him an opportunity. Troncoso also looks scary to me. The pitching staff looks better, but still there are problems.

Maybe, just maybe, Joe has a secret plan. To keep pitching Oritz and later Haeger, etc. in showing a terrible hole in the rotation — to force a signing or trade by July or August.

Maybe he will keep that 5th spot with crap, and then follow with Kershaw and hope for a solid performance to ease the pain.

4. Richard Lotz says:

Why the hell would you watch that game, the Lakers were on and it is the playoffs?

Mark has been regularly deleting my posts since I called him out in one, so this probably won’t make the cut. Man up, Timmons, you talk tough but bail, I mean, censor when called out. “Taking your ball and going home” may need to be your new motto.

• Mark Timmons says:

What censored you was your profanity and vulgarity. I rescued this post. Feel free to disagree with me, but keep it clean and you will be allowed to post!

You ought to know by now that I don’t bail. I ain’t as good as I once was, but I’m as good once as I ever was!

Bring it on!

I would DFA Ortiz now. Weaver has shown time and time again he can be a swingman and spot start or just pitch anytime. He actually has been quite impressive in that role.

Plus with the roster spot you could either keep Haeger when he is mentaly healthy (don’t buy the foot pain story) or add a guy like Gibbons to the 40 man roster.

Also X Paul has better get over the yips in the field or he will be labeled as a hack before he even gets a chance. I hate to say that but we all know that happens.

I also recall Paul making a perfect throw to the cutoff man in an earlier game (during his first call-up) that resulted in a runner being thrown out (I forget if it was at third or at home). Whatever, let’s not get crazy about one bad throw. He was probably over-anxious in trying to get the runner at third when he should simply have hit the cut-off man. He also had two hits, and almost a third (although he should have taken that pitch for ball four). How about letting him get comfortable in his surroundings before passing judgment. If you saw Ely in his first start you wouldn’t have thought much of him in the early innings. But he settled down, demonstrated his poise, and has been fine ever since. A Met fan I know told me that he could size up a team in a three game series. He said that for my benefit after the Mets swept the Dodgers. I’ve since thrown it back in his face. Simply, let’s not rush to judgment without seeing a larger body of work.

I thought Monasterios should have started. Sure, he may not be able to go very deep into a game until he gets more innings under his belt, but certainly he could give us five innings now, and probably more later as he builds arm strength. And the more work he gets, the better his control is likely to get. He worked three innings yesterday and threw 55 pitches. That’s about 18 per inning. If he worked more often he could probably bring that down to about 15 per inning. Last night was the first time he pitched in a week.

Assuming Padilla comes back and regains his effectiveness, he’s going to be the 5th starter. That being the case, the Dodgers should at least be using Monasterios more often, and in more challenging situations. It seems to me, that at the very least, he could be the replacement for Cory Wade. And in that role, he could take a lot of pressure off Torre to overwork Troncoso.

And I agree that “Cheryl” needs to go. If he’s replaced by Elbert, that’s OK. But even if he was replaced by another righthander (leaving only Kuo from the left side), I would be satisfied. He, along with Ortiz, simply need to be gone. Could it be that Ortiz’s $1 million contract is the reason he hasn’t been DFA’d? And why in the world would the Dodgers have committed that kind of money to a has been?

I really don’t know about Haeger. I’ll leave that decision to Ned, Joe, etc. I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt, since I assume they know things that I don’t. Please, no Gibbons. We don’t need anymore has beens.

This from True Blue LA. At least we probably don’t have to worry about who the 5th starter will be for a while.

9. Jared Massey says:

That picture of the little toe is gross.

X Paul didn’ tjust have one bad play it was a bad night. 4-5 mistakes. It isn’t the first time either. The guy is a butcher. I need proof he can play defense at this level.

The saddest thing about Cheryl turning into the mess he is, we gave up Josh Bell for him! Bell is the truth. That stung last year when the trade happened and it hurt smore now. Also Cheryl’s trade value is non-existant now. He was an all star, now we can give him away. A couple of year from now when Bell is raking in the AL we will wonder what might have been as we buy our gas from Mr Cheryl. :)

“4-5 mistakes”. I think not. And if losing his footing on one play is one of them, that’s ludicrous. He’s not a gold glove outfielder, but a “butcher” is stretching it.

12. Mark Timmons says:

Romo,

The Truth? You can’t handle the truth!

;)

OK, here’s the truth:

Josh Bell is at AAA, where he has logged 152 AB’s.

He has 8 Errors, 42 K’s to go with 6 BB’s and is hitting .243 with a .273 OB%. He has 24 RBI on 6 HR… and that’s the truth!

The Truth on XP:

I have seen him lots of games and I have seen him look bad in 3 games (2 were in CF), but I have seen him look really good in a dozen or more. Conclusion: Jitters and youth. He’s no Gold Glover, but I think he’s solid as a RF.

I’m no Sherrill fan, as I’ve expressed numerous times. But as for Josh Bell, based on his stats alone, the jury is still out.

This year in Norfolk in the International League, he’s hitting .243 with a .273 OBP. 6 HRs in 152 ABs, and 42 strikeouts to go along with 6 walks. That’s a strikeout to walk ratio of 7:1. And he’s made 8 errors at 3B, with a .906 fielding percentage. Too early to order the plaque in Cooperstown.

Mark,

Just read your most recent post. Do we have some sort of mind meld going?

15. Mark Timmons says:

Has anyone ever seen us together?

I think not…

;)

16. Mark Timmons says:

Carlos Santana is doing very well in AAA and will be in Indy the first week of June to play the Indianapolis Indians. I plan to see him for a couple of games. I’ll give you a full report.

I have only seen him 3 or 4 games….

Unlike Bell, letting loose of Santana does appear to have been a mistake, especially if Casey Blake could have been acquired w/o including him.

18. mark says:

I was told by someone I trust within the Dodgers organization, that No Carlos Santana, No Casey Blake!

The stories about being able to have acquired him without Santana were false.

Hey, we can hide Roberto Clemente on the Montereal roster. No one will notice him and he will be a great Dodger for years to come.

Remember that act . . . ???

Let us hope that last night did not start a new streak.

Kershaw does not seem to have his good stuff. I asked the other day, how many starts this season HAS HE HAD HIS GOOD STUFF?