OK Frank, Put Up or Shut Up!

OK Frank, Put Up or Shut Up!

There may be another opportunity to get a “Top-of-the-Rotation Pitcher” in a month or so if the Mariners keep struggling, but one can be had RIGHT NOW! That pitcher is Roy Oswalt who has reportedly asked for a trade from the Astros.  Frank and Ned said it is business as usual, so let’s see if it is.  It didn’t make sense to pay Randy Wolf $10 mil.  John Lackey wasn’t worth what he got, but Roy Oswalt is a #1 and has dispelled any health questions this year after a poor 2009.  He has a 2.66 ERA and 1.07 WHIP  this year, and his stats suggest that he is still among the best at his trade.

If the Dodgers want to win it all, they need another pitcher – a pitcher like Roy Oswalt.  He is owed about $28 mil for the remainder of this year and next year.  Not many teams can take that on, but the Dodgers can.  I am sure that the Dodgers would have to part with at least Chris Withrow and another top prospect or two and the Astros could want homeboy James Loney if they could also move Lance Berkman. Would you trade Withrow and Loney for Roy Oswalt? The Astros would probably want another starter back.  Someone like Padilla or Haegar?

I hate to lose Loney, but Andre Ethier has a first-basemen’s glove and you have to give up something to get something.  A rotation of Oswalt, Kershaw, Billingsley, Kuroda and Ely would be excellent.  What about this lineup:

1. Furcal  SS
  2. Martin  C
  3. Ethier  1B
  4. Manny  LF
  5. Kemp  CF
  6. Blake  3B
  7. Paul/Johnson  RF
  8. DeWitt/Carroll  2B

Or, Jermaine Dye is still out there.  Try him in RF.

Will Frank spend the money?  We’ll find out!

9 Responses to “OK Frank, Put Up or Shut Up!”

We just released Josh Towers. I have to ask the question, Who was Josh Towers? I see Mark is making his crazy almost mid season moves again. I would love to have Cliff Lee or Roy Oswalt However. I just know that Frank can’t afford to make this team better. Let’s find a way to win with what we got. Go Dodgers

2. I just red about Oswalt, and I definitely think the Dodgers need to make an offer. Mark, I think I’m like you when it comes to Loney. I like him, but I don’t love him. If it takes parting with him among a couple other prospects, I would do it. Oswalt, Kershaw, Kuroda, and Bills as your top 4 in the playoffs would give the Dodgers the best chance to get to the next level.

3. knickerbocker dave says:

Oswalt, schmoswalt. why settle for a broken down NL central pitcher when you could have a marquee AL East hurler take over your number one spot? Keep your fingers crossed and maybe, just maybe, you’ll have a chance to land a big name like ‘Vasquez.’

4. knickerbocker dave says:

oswalt, schmoswalt. Why settle for a broken down NL Central pitcher when you can have a marquee AL East hurler. Keep your blue fingers crossed and maybe, just maybe a certain ‘Vasquez’ will be available soon.

Mark, you call the shots for the development of this great Dodger web site — but we need a board meeting-talking-session.

This opening 4 different files or windows a day has to stop, in this format. I know, one is by Aaron on the game, one is by Jared on the minor league development, and you start one but sometimes two.

Some of us are confused as to where to go with comments and ideas.

I still believe that some or most of us come to this Dodger site — to visit as a community of Dodger fans. These stories at the beginning of new files or windows are nice — but 4 every day makes it confusing. Not sure that folks go to only the new window, or do go back several windows??

Yes, I know that when Jared posts a new minor league report, and we have something to offer in that subject, we should place it there. But if we just want to say something about the Dodgers and that is the last window, do we post it there, wait for your window, or . . .

Because sometimes Jared’s and Aaron’s reports have very few comments. They are both important, but the desk is cluttered with 4 files a day. I feel that when a person posts a comment, and then a new file or window comes up after their post —- they feel that no one else will see their comment because most folks tend to go to the latest window.

Maybe a different set-up. Maybe a key file for the day to post — and two buttons to see the minor league and game review.

Tonight, or tomorrow === Dodgers in first place in the N.L. West?

As I recall, the Dodgers have not done very good in Inter-league . . .

On the suggestion to trade Loney + someone for Oswalt. Then giving Ethier a first baseman’s glove . . .

As a former manager, I would never ask a player to make a move like that in the middle of a season. To switch outfield to outfield is nothing. But to bring in an outfielder to play first base — no. There is too much to learn in the heart beat of a season. Also, who do you place in RF? All the Dodgers have left are reserves; and X. Paul is not there yet.

So then you talk about prospects. OK. Give them up, and win a ring.

I’m not sure Oswalt “has dispelled any health questions”. Those issues often have a way of re-appearing, especially in pitchers about to turn 33. No way I include Loney in a deal for Oswalt. Moving Ethier to first base in mid-season is an ill-conceived idea. He’ll have enough on his mind when he returns from the DL. Makes no sense to clutter his mind more, especially given the breakout offensive year he’s having.

I watched Keith Hernandez and John Olerud play first base for the Mets. They were the anchors of that infield, and made everyone around them better. Throwing to a first baseman you have confidence in makes a big difference to an infielder. Remove Loney’s glove, and the entire infield defense suffers. And I’ve seen that happen with my own eyes. Sure I would like to see Loney hit for more power, but he’s still a good, productive hitter. And I haven’t given up hope that we will eventually see more power. And Roger is right. Who replaces Ethier in RF? Sorry, it would be a bad move.

And regarding one of your trades yesterday, the one that included Broxton. Let the Dodgers play for a while without a true closer (which Broxton has become) and watch what happens. Or have you forgotten the Danys Baez debacle?

I would like a #1 as much as anyone. And I’d be willing to surrender Withrow and some others. But quite frankly, I believe we’re better with Loney and Padilla than with Oswalt and no Loney (unless you can land us a high caliber first baseman to replace him for a reasonable price.

9. Idaho al says:

I would not make the trade you are suggesting. You cannot move Either to first base in the middle of the season. I would trade Looney, Padilla, Haeger, and two prospects for Berkman and Oswalt. If the Dodgers want to win it all, they need a number 1 starter. Billingsley had another good game last night. We have four good starters right now. We just need to find the fifth. Oswalt would fit in perfectly. If we cannot make this trade now, I would wait until this summer and then move Manny and prospects to an American League team. We are going to lose Manny anyway. We can win without Manny, but we do need a number 1 starting pitcher. Manny’s defense last night was terrible. If he cannot run at full speed, he needs to sit.