While still leading all of major league baseball in hitting at .277, the Los Angeles Dodgers are quietly lowering their team ERA and raising their fielding percentage. They have climbed from 15th to 12th in fielding and have shaved almost a run off their team ERA. It now sits at 4.63… and dropping. The Dodgers have now won 5 in a row and 6 out of their last 7 games, causing the McCourt bashers to disappear because their BS doesn’t play well when the Dodgers are winning. A lot can happen in baseball, and while I can’t predict that the Dodgers will win it all, I still say they are capable. The Dodgers have as good a chance as any and a better chance than most teams to make it to the Wold Series.
Many of you were piling on early in the season, when practically the entire pitching staff was “blowing up” and the team fielding was deplorable. You said stuff like:
- “This team is going nowhere.”
- “The Dodgers will be sellers.” BY THE WAY, IF YOU BELIEVE THAT ONE YOU ARE A FOOL!
- “We’ll never win with McCourt and Ned.”
- “I told you this team was not built to win.”
- “McCourt is spending all the money on Jamie and himself, so he can’t afford to field a good team.”
I can’t believe some of the silly (ie., stupid) things that are said by some of you. Maybe what I said was stupid too when I wrote that the Dodgers should fire Torre and Honeycutt, but I said it because I KNEW that this team was capable of winning it all and surmised that it had to be the manager and coaches. Now that they have turned the corner, I will lay off, but some of you need to get a grip. THIS IS A VERY GOOD TEAM. If you think the Padres will continue to have a 2.60 team ERA, you are silly. If you don’t think the Dodgers will drop their team ERA to below 4.00 very soon, you are even sillier. The NL West has some good teams, but the Dodgers are still as good, probably better than any of them.
I am beginning to think that some of you love to bash McCourt more than root for the Dodgers, because you disappear when the Dodgers win. For the last time, Frank McCourt is irrelevant to me. I don’t like him. I don’t hate him. While I wouldn’t live my life the way he does, that’s on him. The Dodgers have been to the playoffs for two straight seasons and if they make it this year it will be an accomplishment that has never been achieved in the history of the franchise. So, are you on the Bandwagon or do you just enjoy bitching? Do you enjoy winning or whining? Climb aboard!
RANTS & RAVES
- Still think Kemp can’t hit? All players go through slumps, but it looks like Matt’s game is coming back. He’s hitting, walking, stealing bases and playing good defense.
- Andre Ethier is playing as good as anyone I have ever seen over the past month.
- Russ Martin has a new-found aggressiveness about him at the bat and a quiet confidence when throwing.
- Ramon Ortiz tantalizes you by making some really outstanding pitches, but EVERY at-bat, he groves one right into the hitters’ “wheelhouse” – I think that’s the book on him: Wait and he’ll give you a great pitch to hit EVERY at-bat. He needs to disappear as soon as possible.
- I hold my breath every time Hong-chih Kuo takes the mound – each pitch can be his last.
- James Loney is quietly playing at a very high level.
- The Dodger Keystone Combo during this current winning streak has been solid and efficient. That has not been a problem area for the Dodgers.