I used to call him “Mr. Softee” because he often got hits which padded his stats but didn’t mean much. He’d hit a home run when the Dodgers were ahead by 5 runs or behind by 6, but he didn’t deliver in the clutch. I sensed that he could do so much better, so I hung the moniker “Mr. Softee” on him. Well, Andre Ethier has put that nickname to rest. It was dead and buried long ago, but now he has taken his game to a whole new plateau. He’s on pace to hit .371, with 62 HR and 185 RBI (that would probably win him the Triple Crown, right?). He’s OPS’ing 1.162 and has only struck out 11 times all year. Guys like Mark Reynolds strike out 11 times in two games! Andre Ethier will no longer be called “Andre.” Henceforth, he is to be addressed as “Walkoff” Ethier or “Mr. Walkoff” to you. While I don’t expect him to keep up that pace, I did say that he might hit 40 one year and this could be that year.
John Ely deserved to win last night. He looked poised and in command and I love his intensity. He looks like he could be a nice “back-of-the-rotation” starter. See, Juan Pierre wasn’t worthless… and if Jon Link pans out, well all the better! Before the game, the Dodgers had indicated that Ely was going to be sent down when Jeff Weaver was activated this weekend, but Weaver and Ortiz are the same guy and Ortiz is plain awful. Ned and Joe would be ignorant savages to send Ely down and keep Weaver AND Ortiz. After the way Ely pitched last night, that’s a no-brainer. Let’s hope that Joe and Ned have not taken leave of their senses.
Rants & Raves:
- Maybe Charlie Haeger will turn it around at the last minute, before he is demoted. I’m surprised Joe is giving him another shot, but he deserved it after his last relief appearance. This one will determine his fate.
- Manny will be back soon and regardless of whether you think Xavier Paul needs to bat everyday, you should always put the best team on the field and Paul is flat-0ut better than Anderson – IN EVERY WAY!
- Raffy looks ready for a rehab game or two. He should be back next week.
- In case no one noticed, Russ Martin has settled back in as .250 hitter.
- Jon Broxton needs to pitch at a minimum of every 2-3 days Joe. Write that down on your hand in a black Sharpie so that you don’t forget again. I call Brox out when he blows one and it’s his fault. This one was Joe’s fault!