How Do You Like Them Now?

How Do You Like Them Now?

Many of you had the Dodgers dead and buried a couple of weeks ago (no, I am not going to just let it go – you need to learn a lesson) and now they are red-hot-on-fire-the-hottest-

Excellent Defense

team-in-baseball! Like it or not, here is what you are seeing:

• You are seeing the maturation of some young pitchers like Kershaw, Billingsley, Ely, Kuo, Belisario and Broxton;
  • You are seeing the maturation of  some young hitters like Loney, Kemp, Martin, DeWitt and Walkoff Ethier;
  • You are seeing Ned’s signing of Jamey Carroll pay off in spades (Garrett Anderson still sucks);
  • You are seeing a team win seven in as row, 9 out of the last 10 games and 12 out of the last 15 games;
  • You are seeing this team grow their own ace and number two in Kershaw and C-Bill;
  • You are seeing a TEAM unite for a common goal; and
  • You just might see history in the making if the Dodgers make the playoffs for the third straight year.

I am accused of seeing the baseball world through “BLUE” glasses and while I bleed Dodger Blue, I also have my eyes wide-open.  This Dodger team has warts.  It lacks a true ace (as yet) and it is young.  Some of our subs are old and some call them “geezers” but did you see the ages of the “Geezers” who won the last World Series?  Look it up!

However, I knew that this team would be “hungry” and want to win.  You have a few players who have experience and are of an age that they need to win NOW.  Players like Blake, Manny, Raffy, Belliard, Johnson and others.  Then you have the young bucks, like Kemp, Loney, Martin, Ethier, DeWitt, Broxton, Kershaw, Billingsley, Ely, Kuo, Belisario, Ellis and others who are trying to make a name (and fortune) for themselves.

Like it our not, Ned has put together a pretty effective team and I would not be surprised if Vicente Padilla wins 12 games!  Write that down.  He is motivated!  Charlie Haegar may still surprise us.

Lindblom, McDonald, Paul, Hoffman, May, Hu and others are at-the-ready.

You can continue to moan and bitch about the McCourt fisaco, or you can focus on the team and this team is REALLY GOOD… just like I told you two months ago!

You can believe what the fish hacks say (“Joe is tired of the McCourt penny-pinching and wants out”, “the Dodgers won’t spend any money”) or you can face reality.  Yes, you will get a lot of info from the “fish hacks”  but their conclusions are often erroneous.  Think what you want about Joe Torre, but do you really think he’s going to tell his friends and fish hacks anything confidential?

Use your brains, people!  Critics are everywhere, and critics are just people who criticize people about things they can’t do themselves!  They are “small” individuals.

The Dodgers haven’t swept the Padres in San Diego, since George Washington was in the White House!

Celebrate!

15 Responses to “How Do You Like Them Now?”

Yeah man, it’s all good. It’s amazing what a seven game winning streak can do for ones’ phycic. It’s the players on the field that deserve the credit though. Ned didn’t all of a sudden wake up a genious. Is Russell Martin really, IronMan? Give the man a breather Joe and let him play 3rd tommorow.

2. Mark Timmons says:

Michael,

I was actually going to write that about Martin, but I forget. Good take!

3. Mark Timmons says:

From TrueBlueLa.com:

Per the Elias Sports Bureau, Clayton Kershaw last night became the fifth Dodger since 1900 to have back-to-back starts of seven or more innings giving up three or fewer hits and one run or less. The others: Sandy Koufax (1961), Don Sutton (1972), Orel Hershiser (1984), and Chan Ho Park (2000).”

WOW!

4. Ty says:

It’s funny that Mark is now acting like he knew it all along when he was almost as frustrated as us. Remember all the fire Torre and fire Honeycutt comments he had made? Firing your manager is one of the last resorts you make and Mark already was down to one of the last resorts. It’s ok though. Now Mark is acting like we were all running around like the sky was falling. Get off your high horse Mark and remember what you wrote a few weeks ago.

5. lawdog says:

I don’t know what all the hub-bub’s about. It’s a given that we will all act irrationally when it comes to the progress and ultimate destiny of our beloved Bums. Isn’t that insanity part of the very definition of being a hardcore Dodger fan?
    That said, we should all try and sit back and thoroughly enjoy the streak while it lasts. You’all have to know that this roller coaster is going to take us in the other direction again soon enough. Let’s just hope that the ride down is short and turns back into a climb up to the top of the standings once it happens. I just hope we play well enough long enough to finish in the playoffs. Then, anything can happen.

Kurveshaw, C-Note, Broxton and Ely all seem to be busting out this year. So do Ethier, Kemp, and Looney. Even Manny is looking like the Manny of old and not the Manny of the second half of last season! Let’s hope it’s not just a bubble but continues through October! ;)

6. Mark Timmons says:

Ty,

Do you just pretend to be dumb or does it come naturally? Do you not read what I write?

I said this:

I was obviously wrong when I said that Joe Torre had lost this team and Rick Honeycutt couldn’t coach anymore. My deepest apologies to them both.

However, I went on to say that I blamed them because the team was too talented to be losing like that.

The fact of the matter is that lots of people WERE saying the sky was falling. I have ALWAYS said that this team would win. I just doubted Torre and Honey and obviously, I was wrong.

7. Mark Timmons says:

… and I said it!

8. Ely's Coming, Better Hide Your Heart says:

I’ve only been wrong about one thing…. and until Charlie Haeger is dead and buried literally, he still has a chance. I’ve never doubted this team I’ve always believed we’ll be competitive. We’ll see how long they can keep this up.

I’ve always said…beat the teams in your division and hold court against the teams out of it.

Let’s make it 8 tomorrow. Watch out Houston!!!! Ely’s coming…. better hide your heart!!!

9. Mark Timmons says:

The Dodgers team ERA dropped to 4.41 as they leaped past the Cubs and moved into the 10th spot.

10. Stupid I says:

Mark wrote: “You are seeing the maturation of some young hitters like Loney, Kemp, Martin, DeWitt and Walkoff Ethier;”

I like that, except I will not go as far as including DeWitt in that group. The lineup is “carrying” Blake DeWitt, so far.

Now his average is higher than Russell Martin’s, but everyone’s average is higher than Martin, and the other Blake, Casey Blake.

Like many here, I thought he would be an every two weeks guy with one HR, giving him about 12-14 for the year. So far he has 20 singles and 2 doubles, with 9 RBIs. Just a bit more from DeWitt, and the Dodgers will really take off.

Great pitching the past week plus. Interesting how it all turned around from such a bad start. Just adding two pitchers from extended camp really changed the tone.

Casey Blake needs to step it up. He is falling deeper and deeper in average.

11. Mark Timmons says:

Not everyone is going to have their best year. DeWitt is doing OK by me. His defense is improving and maybe he will have only 5 or 6 HR. I still think he’s a 20 HR guy, but it’s not happening now. Casey Blake is in a “free fall” right now, but he is still very solid in the field. Both Blake’s and Martin have shown a penchant for getting key hits whoever.

Hey I will gladly wear the fact that I am a HUGE Chad Billingsley basher. He has pitched very well lately and I will give him credit for exercising the demons for now. But the biggest thing from yesterday that NO ONE is talking about was his at bat in the 6th that changed the game.

Billingsley laid down a sacrafice bunt that moved Carroll to 2nd, THAT was the key. These days players after player (not just pitchers) fail to bunt and move the runner over and it just gets shrugged off. Kudos to Chad for laying it down properly and helping his own cause.Of course Martin gets the publicity for driving in the run but as a Small Ball fan it was the bunt that impressed me.

One more thing: How fast will the good feelings dissapear if we get waxed by the horrible Astros this series? Stay focused boys!!

Happy Monday. Peace.

13. Mark Timmons says:

James Loney and Reed Johnson also made a few nice defensive plays.

14. lawdog says:

I don’t mind giving Mark a tip of the hat for being more accurate in his assessment of our talent than me. In fact, since I’m always mind of a cynical, pessimistic glass-half-empty kind of bashturd even in the best of worlds (just ask my wife), I constantly hope and pray that the more optimistic amongst us will prove my attitude to be wrong because i really do want our team to win the whole enchilada. Everyone here does. We wouldn’t be fans if we didn’t.

But we’ve unexpectedly run into a series of major miracles which really couldn’t be anticipated by most reasonable people who are not accustomed to catching lightening in a bottle several times in one or two weeks. I expected Ethier to be better, but I didn’t expect the second coming of Ted Williams. Duke Snider wold have been good enough. When Kemp started doing his best Raul Mondesi impressions, I didn’t expect his attitude to make a 180 degree turn in a matter of days. I figured he woujldn’t start to play up to his “dreaded” potential until after we’d traded him to the Yankees for a fig newton and a bag of Bigelow Tea. And Loney? Totally unexpected as was C-Note’s turn around. And I expected Kurveshaw to be an ace eventually, but never in a million years would I have expected him to make the transition from near bust to brilliant ace by adding not one but two lights out pitches to go with his heater and yacker virtually overnight..

Ely comes in looking like another Hershizer right from the getgo. Manny looks like the Manny of 08–second half of the season and he really does seem to be the straw that stir’s the Dodger’s drink, even now in the twilight of his career. I could go on and on here, but the miracle we seem to be undergoing is quite clear and very real.

Unfortunately, it’s a long season and none of these improvements have been etched in stone. It could all turn to crap again overnight, but I don’t think it will. I’m now driving in the “Kershaw cab” on my way to the “Billingsley Bus which will deliver me to Andre’s Autos where I’ll pick up my new Kemp Kar from amongst the Martin Mobile’s. The Broxton Bus can then drive me to Ely’s field where I’ll be a happy Kuroda Kamper while my Kemp Kar get’s it’s detailing job finished as the defects in it’s strike zone get pounded back into it’s proper shape..

Hopefully I’ll be able to watch as Joe loads Garrett Anderson, Reed Johnson, Nick Green, Casey Blake, Jeff Weaver, and Ramon Ortiz into that large SUV called the MannyMobile which then drives them all at Bullet train speeds off the end of the Santa Monica pier to join their compatriot named Kent and his motorcycle at the bottom of the Pacific while Ned leads the Dodger Marching Band and Chowder society in a rousing rendition of “Taps’…

Then bring up the kids and let them play. We just might win this thing in spite of our rotten owners and their incredibly selfish hidden agendas.

15. mark says:

Good take Lawdog. I don’t like the McCourts at all either, but they have given the Dodgers a chance. If we have a better owner, then I”l take them.