Categorized | GameTime

Cheryl Goes To The DL

Cheryl Goes To The DL

The Dodger blogosphere was white hot with who was going to be sent down to make room for Rafael Furcal.  Would it be Ramon Ortiz, Nick Green, or

Bruised Ego?

(God forbid) Blake DeWitt?  In the end, it was George “Cheryl” Sherrill who went on the DL with a strained ego, ‘er back.  Yeah, that’s the ticket!  Everyone had their own idea and everyone was wrong.  It just shows how far bloggers are separated from reality.

Blog on dudes!

****************************************************************

UPDATE:

Tonight’s Lineup:

1. Raffy  SS
  2. Russ C
  3. Matt  CF
  4. Manny  LF
  5. Lone-Dog  1B
  6. Casey  3B
  7. X-Man  Rf
  8. Rake  2B
  9. The Kershawshank Redemption  P

19 Responses to “Cheryl Goes To The DL”

How did Sherrill get so bad so quickly? We were all loving his 8th inning magic last year and now he couldn’t make a girls softball team. I must focus on the Lakers tonight and check in from time to time on the men in blue. I hope all is well with my fellow Dodger brothers. Peace

• juan pierre says:

Cheryl got Ibanez’d last year and still hasn’t recovered. And I’m pretty tired of the Lakers (and I’m a longtime fan) and will probably watch more of the Dodgers. What can I say I’m hooked.

All pumped up for tonights game. Thats just a hop,skip and a jump from you Mark, you couldn’t invent a business trip to Chi-town? Over at True Blue I voted for other in their poll yesterday on who would go because I’m always suprised by what they do, do. The X man has put Garretts’ name on the most likely to go next but we all know of Joes’ infatuation with old guys. With Raffy being so fragile, knock on wood, Nick Green appears safe until Amaezega is a go. Its time for Dodger Baseball as Vinnie would say :]

3. lawdog says:

Any word on when Ethier and his broken finger will return?

4. juan pierre says:

Last I heard, Ethier was ahead of schedule and was able to take swings with his finger splint. So take it for what it’s worth.

Actually, if memory serves me correct, I was partially right. I believe that I suggested (not predicted) that the Dodgers cook up an injury for Troncoso and place him on the DL to get him a relief from overwork.

6. Mark Timmons says:

I was supposed to be in Chicago today. The Cubs give me press passes and great parking and today was the only day I could go, but I have a horrible cold and can’t do it.

We have an Indy 500 Party every year (Friday) and I have too much to do to get ready for it.

I hate Summer Colds. It’s 90 degrees and I have a stinkin’ cold.

No need to “invent” a business trip – I just do what I want (as long as my wife says it’s OK). ;)

You know I’m sick if I can’t see the Dodgers. That, and I have 12 yards of mulch to move before Friday…

Now that my hip is OK, my wife works me like a rented mule. I had to move a piano last week.

7. Bootz says:

Necessary action:

Troncoso – DL
    Green – DFA
    Sherill – DL (thank you)
    Ortiz – (DFA)
    Anderson – (DFA)
    Haeger – (DFA)

Furcal takes over Green
    Go find Mienkavichzzz to take over GA. Hell, go find Brian Giles.
    And three RP to cover the rest of the scrubs? Anyones guess!

8. Mark Timmons says:

See update above.

Bootz,

Ty Cobb could do as well as GA… and he’s dead!

It is strange to me to believe that Sherrill has all of a sudden forgotten how to pitch. He has been very consistent for the last 4 years. Hopefully, whatever is wrong with him will be worked out in the next few weeks. We really need what he brought last year.

Interesting lineup. When do we get Ethier back?

Bootz – I have no problem with any of your stated actions. We don’t need a LH pinch hitter if that option is Anderson. We could do better just sending up a RHer no matter who is on the mound. Anderson must go.

10. mark says:

The game is blacked-out here (TV and WEB) – What a bunch of IDIOTS!

11. mark says:

Ethier – a week or so…

12. mark says:

I knew Joe should have started Jamey Carroll.

That Furcal is a bum!

;)

Come and slap Clayton, Joe!

Driving home from a dinner, turned on the game on XM. What I heard, Ron Santo, #10, Furcal could not handle a ground ball, runner safe. Martin could not handle a pitched ball, stolen base. Single, run scored. Ball game so far.

Dodgers down 1 zip, Kershaw out, 7th inning.

I need Ethier back in the lineup now.

Furcal is not ready. I agree Mark, Carroll should have started.

I am not getting the game either. And, the Lakers are losing. Not a good night so far.

Looks like Kershaw could have used that no-hitter tonight.

So Kemp leads the Dodger with 49 Ks.

But he does not lead the league. That goes to: Reynolds, Wright, Upton, Weeks, Maybin, Venerable, Stubbs ahead of Matt.

Get ‘em tomorrow.

Kershaw with no earned runs given up and yet he gets the loss. Man, that’s a tough one to lose.

Is Kemp back to chasing bad pitches, or is he just missing strikes?

Maybe it would have been a good idea to send Furcal out for a rehab assignment. Extended spring training clearly was not the answer.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Why does Torre insist on using Troncoso over and over again when he has Carlos Monasterios in the bullpen? Maybe his 1.90 ERA is a mirage, but maybe not. I hear he’s being considered to start the game on Friday in Colorado. That’s good. He hasn’t pitched since May 19th and appeared May 11th before that. So it was 8 days before his last appearance, and if he starts on Friday, May 28th, it will be another 9 days between appearances. It’s tough enough to pitch in Colorado, but even tougher if you’ve pitched so infrequently.

I know Monasterios came into this year with very little experience above A ball. But he’s acquitted himself well in almost every appearance, including 2 2/3 scoreless innings to get the victory in a 13 inning game against Washington. That game alone should have given Torre at least an inkling that maybe this kid could do the job in a pressure situation. He may eventually be able to start, but probably needs to build up his stamina over time to do that effectively. To a large degree he’s very reminiscent of Cory Wade. Torre learned to trust him, why not Monasterios?

Before his arm falls off, find an injury for Troncoso and get him on the DL. Bring up a pitcher to take the start on Friday (DFA’ing Ortiz at the same time), and start using Monasterios regularly. And when Troncoso comes back, continue to use Monasterios to lighten his load.

If Torre insists on not using Monasterios, then the Dodgers should try to hold onto him by working a deal with the Phillies. Carrying 12 pitchers (11 right now) makes no sense when you have someone you hardly ever use. When I compare Monasterios to Ely I see two very similar pitchers. Both have great changeups, Monasterios the better fastball and Ely the better curve. The difference is that the Dodgers were able to get Ely ready to start at the big league level by starting him in ALBQ. Monasterios on the other hand has been rotting in the Dodger bullpen because his manager has more faith in a washed up veteran like Ortiz. Maybe Monasterios will turn out to be a total dud, but he needs to show me that before I’ll believe it. Everything I’ve seen so far tells me he has a bright future. I just don’t know if it will be in LA or somewhere else.

And what’s to lose by putting him in some games? Could he be doing any worse than Troncoso?