This Team Plays With The Fire of Joe Torre…

This Team Plays With The Fire of Joe Torre…

which is ZILCH!

Two Figureheads

Let me be the first to say:

www.JoeTorreShouldBeFired.com

Should I start the site?  I already own it.

18 Responses to “This Team Plays With The Fire of Joe Torre…”

2010 Stats
    Wolf 3.70
    Garland 2.86
    Mota 0.00

Hudson .276
    Castro .333
    Thome .235
    Pierre .222

And pitching is the problem NED!

2. Mark Timmons says:

I think Ned gave Joe a team that could win 90+ games. Joe Torre has failed… so far.

I see no end in sight with Joe at the helm.

This team is playing without life, hustle and purpose.

You can fire the players or you can fire the manager.

Sorry, Joe has to go!

3. Mark Timmons says:

Haeger isn’t long for this team, and I’m disappointed, but he’s toast!

This is exciting. The Dodgers could be playing the Pirate for last place in the NL when they arrive back in LA!

5. LADODGERDAVE says:

i can’t watch another inning…..

6. Mark Timmons says:

Maybe I’ll let Haeger pitch one more time…

“Maybe I’ll let Haeger pitch one more time…”

NOT ME!!!!!!!!!

I’ve seen enough. I would dump Haeger before Ramon Ortiz. Watching him pitch is literally painful.

I doubt if they will fire Torre during the season. But it may be that they end any thought of bringing him back for another year.

Ron Darlong (Mets announcer) just made a good point about Torre bringing Troncoso into the game to replace Haeger. He wondered why he was bringing him into the game on a cold night after he had pitched in the first game. Makes me wonder too.

9. Mark Timmons says:

Bringing Troncoso back in the second game was a dope-fiend move.

We lost the first game because of poor pitching, right?

How many game can you win when you score ZERO runs?

It’s not just the pitching, it’s the whole team’s performance.

Joe must go! Honeycutt too!

Troncoso threw 17 pitches a couple hours ago. The Dodgers used 5 pitchers last game.

Look down there in that pen…….who would you guys bring in to get a couple of outs in a close game?

Dope fiend? Maybe. Desperate? Absolutely.

Why does Joe have to go? Because some people thought the Dodgers should win 95+ games but instead are off to a slow start?

Could it be possible that the people who were trying to tell you the Dodgers were in trouble – were actually right?

Look, I am not ready to throw in any towels yet, but I am not so blind I can’t see what is on the surface with the Dodgers. How many times in the last several months have you heard me say we have pitching issues? How many times did I say losing an All Star second baseman was going to hurt? We let Wolf and Hudson walk with no compensation, we gave away Santana to get Blake, we were never involved in any negotiations with pitchers that could help this team, we salary dumped into the next decade, including the guy who stepped in for Manny and kept us competitive last year, and we have all watched as the payroll has declined by 30%. None of this seemed to alarm you Mark, and none of what is happening on the field is surprising me.

We got damn lucky to land Manny, and even with his suspension, we should all be grateful he is a Dodger. It’s obvious how much better this team is with him in the lineup. It seems clear to me that Ned needs to pull another rabbit out of his ass or this team might be for months exactly what you are seeing the first few days of the season.

Torre is one of the most successful managers in the game, but he has also been one who managed a tremendous amount of talent. It isn’t his fault the pitchers can’t pitch. Fire Honeycutt if you think it will help, but let me say now I don’t think it will.

I really don’t believe we are this bad, but, until the McCourt situation is resolved, I think you may be in for a whole lot more of you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Hi my name is Ramon “Proctor” Troncoso. I am on pace to pitch 100 innings this year and to pitch in 105 games. I want my union rep to go tell that Flog Torre to go flog himself.

Hi my name is Ramon “Proctor” Otiz. I am on pace to pitch 103 innings this year. I want my union rep to go tell that Flog Torre to go flog himself.

Broston, Monsastrios, Belisario and Kuo have not pitched since Saturday, yet 3 Dodger pitchers are expected to pitch both games of the doubleheader in the low 50 degrees? Felony STUPID.

I can’t get this Sinatra song out of my head, “Send in the Clowns”. It is a bizarre world but just like a lot of you, I’ll never jump overboard. If Peter O’Malley needs some spare change to restore the Dodger name, I AM IN !

14. Idaho al says:

Fire Ned and Honeycutt and not Joe. The only pitcher in the bullpen that is any good right now is Broxton and we cannot get the ball to him in a save situation. I am sure Joe does not know who to bring out of the bullpen, because he cannot trust any of the pitchers. Maybe we should have Broxton pitch in the middle innings when we still have a chance to win. Haeger needs to go. Sad day for Dodger supporters.

Amen al.

I don’t know how difficult it is to pitch 17 pitches (Sherrill threw 3) at 6 ‘oclock and 18 more (Sherrill threw 17 for 20 total) a few hours later. I would not call it felony stupid. I can remember playing in softball tournaments in Northern California where we played 3 games on Saturday and as many as 6 games on a Sunday – in 100 degree heat – and nobody there was a professional athlete. I think you guys are making a bigger deal out of this than you should. Maybe Joe told these guys to stay loose between games. I am sure if you asked the players they would tell you “piece of pie”.

The problem we have is obvious – we do not have a strong starting staff. The bullpen is going to be taxed, we all knew this. Well, maybe not all of us, but most of us did. We need starters that go AT LEAST 7 or this season is going down the crapper. Moan all you want about how Joe uses the pen, but the problem is not the pen and it is not Joe. The problem is in the starting rotation. Fix it, or suffer the consequences.

16. Lisa says:

This is great! I’m a Yankee fan/blogger (I co-write SubwaySquawkers.com – you can read something I recently wrote about Torre here – http://tinyurl.com/2btfz6f), and I was griping “Joe must go” for the last few years of his time in the Bronx. It puts a smile on my face to see that some Dodger fans now see what Torre is really about!

Tt looks like he’s doing the same bad things he did in his later years with the Yankees:

* Snoozing in the dugout
    * Wearing out relievers’ arms (in the Yankees’ case, it was Steve Karsay, Tanyon Sturtze, and Scott Proctor)
    * Spending more time talking to the media than paying attention to his team
    * Taking all the credit when times are good, but getting the press to run stories blaming the front office/ownership when times are bad
    * Spending too much time on non-baseball pursuits, like horse-ownership, and commercials, and writing books

I’ve heard this song before!

The only thing I can’t figure out is who Torre’s designated scapegoat is – with the Yankees, he blamed everything on A-Rod. Is it going to be Manny here?

Anyhow, I will be sure to spread the word about your new URL!

Thanks Lisa. That really helped.

BTW, I don’t believe half of what you posted. New Yourk is tough on everybody, so, the idea that they were unahppy with a guy that brought them 6 pennants and 4 World Series Championships does not surprise me. New Yorkers are never happy. Hell, they live in New York!

It is my opinion that managers get too much credit for the good and too much blame for the bad.

It is about the players and the good managers are the ones that get the most out of each of the 25 man roster. I have to ask myself, what would I do differently if I were Joe? The situation is this – you have to prepare for 4 innings of relief every day of the season. It might end up being only 3, but you must prepare for 4. And, along with this, you must have your long reliever ready when your starter gets KO’d before 5. If you guys have a better solution to this problem, let’s hear it.

18. Lisa says:

Badger, you have to remember that post 2001, the Yankees had the better team (and biggest payroll, and highest paid manager), every year, yet kept on underachieving in the playoffs:

2002: Torre gets outsmarted by Mike Scioscia.
    2003: Joe pitches Jeff Weaver, who hasn’t thrown in a month, in extra innings in Game 4 of the World Series. Mariano Rivera, the greatest closer of all time, never gets in the game. The Yanks lose the game, and the series, two games later.
    2004: Worst collapse of all time, filled with Torre’s blunders.
    2005: Torre gets outsmarted by Mike Scioscia – again.
    2006: Torre gets outsmarted by Jim Leyland. Plays Gary Sheffield at first. Humiliates A-Rod by batting A-Rod eighth.
    2007: Torre sits in the dugout impassively while Joba Chamberlain is overcome by a swarm of midges. Series momentum shifts right there.

Torre was making $8 million the last few years, yet he was proving to be a disadvantage in the playoffs. By all accounts, the team was very dysfunctional, with no cohesion between Joe’s favorites and the rest of the team. Any other manager would have lost his job years before. How many years more of a grace period should Torre have gotten for the four rings, anyway?

As for the bullpen question, Joe Girardi managed to do what Torre couldn’t – give all the guys in the bullpen a chance, never overworking any one person. It’s simply not normal to kill a bullpen the way Torre does every year.