No one realizes more than I do that this is a 162 game season. I am not worried about our pitching – it will come around (do you really believe that Kuo and Belsiario will continue to have double-digit ERA’s? Sherrill? I worry about him, but he can’t be THAT bad, can he?).
I am worried that Joe Torre has lost this team. It’s not the result (the fact that the Dodgers lost), it the fashion in which they are losing – passionless, uncaring, disconnected, sloppy, selfish and flat. These guys are going through the motions – they are not even trying. Oh sure, you can point to this or that and say “yes they are trying” but it’s a malaise that is permeating the entire team.
You can’t fire the players, so the management has to be held accountable, and now I am including Ned Colletti into that equation. Ned should not go to the air waves to single out Matt Kemp. It’s one thing to say the team is playing without passion or dogging it. It’s quite another to single out a single player. It might be true, but it was wrong.
Joe Torre is a Hall-of-Famer, buy he has lost this team. Look at what a shambles the Rockies were in last year – then they fired Clint Hurdle, and Jim Tracy (Jim Freakin’ Tracy) re-energized the team BIG TIME! Sometimes change for changes’ sake is just what is needed! It’s time for sweeping changes: Torre, Mattingly, Bowa, Schaffer, Honeycutt are all responsible.
We have a solution “in-house” in Tim Wallach. It’s time for change, just 22 games into the season. In 2007, the Dodgers started 13-8 and failed to make the playoffs, proving it’s not how you start – it’s how you finish. Let’s finish this thing.
I believe that Ned has assembled a team that can win, and if he also believes that, he has to fire Joe Torre and he has to do it soon! Failure to act means that Ned must also believe this team can’t win… and if that’s the case, he should be fired! This is a “bottom line business” .
RANTS & RAVES:
- Clayton Kershaw still throws too many pitches, but he is improving in several areas. I think both Chad and Clayton would benefit with a new pitching coach.
- I hope Garrett Anderson is French, because he is Toast!
- Charlie Haeger is in danger of being DFA’s and I doubt he will get claimed.
- Ben Sheets of the $10 mil contract has a 1-2 record with a 5.00 ERA (27 IP, 36 H, 14 vBB, 14 K’s) – so far, that looks like a dope fiend move by Billy Beane.
- Theo Epstein doesn’t like like the same genius right about now.
- The Mets looked like a trainwreck before the season and now are in high cotton – Mike Pelfrey is 4-0 with a 0.69 ERA – The Mets had so many problems before the season and have overcame them all. Kudos to Jerry Manual.
- Ex-Dodgers: Edwin Jackson – 1-2 with a 6.67 ERA (28 IP/36 H) Brad Penny – 3-0 with a 0.94 ERA; Dave Duncan has him throwing strikes (Carpenter, Wainright and Penny may be the best 1-2-3 starters in baseball); Derek Lowe has a 5.79 ERA; Randy Wolf – 2-1, 3.34 ERA
- The Rockies optioned Chris Ianetta back to AAA – WOW!
- Barry Zito is unconscious. Can he keep it up? If he does, the Giants top 3 is as good as the Cards.
- Carlos Monasterios gets the start on Saturday instead of Heager and Ely looks to get another start as well.
Dodger Chris had this to say Yesterday (I feel his pain too):
I cannot express how pissed off I am about the state of my Dodgers. Unfortunately due to the Mccourts divorce I am afraid this may continue for the next few years to come. Their inability to shore up the starting pitching in the offseason has proven to me that they have decided not to give this team a chance. Maybe Frank needs to devalue the team so he will only have to give half to his ex-wife at a much lower value. The fact that she needs 1 million a month makes me want to puke and shoot myself in the head at the same time!!!! These people are DISGUSTING!!!! I lost my job a year ago and the only thing that kept me together last year was watching my team compete. Well, Mccourts, here I am still out of a job struggling like everyone else in this world right now and you two have the gaul to not spend a dime on the team while spending millions on vacation homes and lawyers. The only thing we can do to force the Mccourts hand is to BOYCOTT ALL GAMES until they show us that they are willing to invest in this team as much as we all have everytime we go to a game! IF we can cut into attendance I believe this will send a clear message to the Mccourts that DODGER FANS will NOT stand for their BULLSHIT and continue to feed their wallets while they DO NOTHING to improve this team. I WILL NOT GO TO ANOTHER GAME until they do SOMETHING about our pitching!!! PLEASE join me Dodger fans…We have to send these people a message!!!!!!!
Frank, you have a problem that can only be cured by winning!